How to Raise MBE Score? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Noobmaster69

New

Re: How to Raise MBE Score?

Post by Noobmaster69 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:37 pm

I used criticalpass flash cards as my primary outline. I then watched Themis lecture videos and updated the flash cards along. I then used Themis questions to test my understanding. If I bomb a certain area, I will read the full outline for that area of the law. If I get a question wrong because it is an outlier caselaw/exception to the general rule, I will update my cards accordingly. This worked for me on my second try for F19 California - I felt I was comfortably prepared to answer all MBE questions.

In my first try for California, I self-studied using adaptibar and Barbri mini conviser. I scored at ~42% national average for that sitting. I will say that while adaptibar is a good resource, it is good for testing your understanding only. It does not help if you need to learn the law. If you don't understand the law, keep doing more questions will not translate into better understanding of the law.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 am

I agree. Critical pass mbe flashcards are a must. They helped me pass the bar exam, especially with a strong mbe score. Remember, the bar exam is essentially a memory exam. They are testing how well you can remember elements so flashcards are great at doing just that. [Advertisement and external link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to redact external link.

SoScrewed6

New

Post by SoScrewed6 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:00 pm

How did you guys use the Critical Pass Flashcards? I bought them because I’ve always learned best by memorizing through Flashcards. But obviously with the amount of cards/subjects/nuances - it’s pretty unlikely (impossible) I can memorize it all.

So would you just go through like 10 cards of a subject and get those completely memorized? Or just go through the entire subject/topic and get to a point where you knew what the card said for the most part - but couldn’t recall it in its entirety?

Noobmaster69

New

Post by Noobmaster69 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:05 am

SoScrewed6 wrote:How did you guys use the Critical Pass Flashcards? I bought them because I’ve always learned best by memorizing through Flashcards. But obviously with the amount of cards/subjects/nuances - it’s pretty unlikely (impossible) I can memorize it all.

So would you just go through like 10 cards of a subject and get those completely memorized? Or just go through the entire subject/topic and get to a point where you knew what the card said for the most part - but couldn’t recall it in its entirety?
I went through the entire subject first and then "tried" to memorize everything (placing emphasis on important legal tests/definitions first). The amount of details on the cards may look daunting but if you study them long enough, you will be surprised at how much you can remember. Even though I don't think I ever got to the point where I could recall the cards word by word, I was able to regurgitate something close in my own words.

When I studied the cards, I always studied them in their numbered sequence. I never tried to mix them up. This created a place for each legal concept in my mental library and I found I was able to store and recall the concepts much faster. Of course, this is just my personal study habit.

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 am

SoScrewed6 wrote:How did you guys use the Critical Pass Flashcards? I bought them because I’ve always learned best by memorizing through Flashcards. But obviously with the amount of cards/subjects/nuances - it’s pretty unlikely (impossible) I can memorize it all.

The more you use them, the more you will start to familiarize yourself and remember each and every element. I would be you that if you studied each card - at least 10X - you would have a good ability to memorize most of it, if not a nice majority. But remember it takes time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lexingtonhr

New

Post by lexingtonhr » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 pm

FutureLawyer2 wrote:

The more you use them, the more you will start to familiarize yourself and remember each and every element. I would be you that if you studied each card - at least 10X - you would have a good ability to memorize most of it, if not a nice majority. But remember it takes time.
Ok I used them like one or twice these two bar cycles so I will use it heavily now. The thing is that sometimes I can’t picture a scenario when I read the law. That’s probably what’s hurting my score. So I think after each rule, I should probably put an example that would be easier for me?

SoScrewed6

New

Post by SoScrewed6 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I'm overall just struggling to organize the whole approach. I've generally struggled with multiple choice and been fine with essays, so really trying to hammer down the MBE. But I have the Themis lectures, Critical Pass cards, Adaptibar, and the Strategies and Tactics book. Just trying to figure out how to utilize lectures, outlines, practice questions, explanations, and flashcards into a organized approach.

Law4lyf

New

Post by Law4lyf » Mon May 27, 2019 10:23 am

I used Themis + Adaptibar + Critical pass flashcards. Passed on my first attempt doing about 70% of Themis. Key is to recognize what is pulling down your scores. Mine was the MBE so I went the extra mile to get Adaptibar and Critical Pass. Adaptibar uses real MBE questions while Themis and Barbri make up a bunch of their own (plus licensing a few). I used critical pass to run through the topics I was weak at to make sure that I had a basic understanding of the law (that's all you need!). The flashcards were great and was key to me passing the bar.

[Advertisement and external link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Virginia_Bar_Prep

New

Post by Virginia_Bar_Prep » Mon May 27, 2019 11:02 am

No matter which method/tool/resource you use to help you prepare for the MBE, remember to practice, practice, and practice. Make sure you don't blindly practice, you need to understand the rule and why you got a question wrong. This is critical to improving your MBE score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FutureLawyer2

New

Post by FutureLawyer2 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:02 pm

I would stick with one subject at a time. Once I finish the pile, I go on to the next. Once I get very familiar with the material - I would re-review the subjects where I am sensing I could use a boost. So for me, I knew criminal and torts better than evidence and property. So I gave those decks of cards extra review sessions. (That meant for me - on my little outings to run errands or to grab a coffee from local coffee store.)

[Advertisement redacted] Best of luck!

[External link redacted]
Last edited by QContinuum on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:25 am

RavenAgain wrote:My theory on MBEs is as follows: if you are below 1350 you have to learn more black letter law (read Barbri books or similar), if you are above you need to learn strategy (chose MBEs who have detailed and good explanations, like Emanuel)...
Interesting...You also need to consider your learning style and tailor your study method to this. How did you learn the black letter law and master your exams in law school? If something in particular worked for you (like using flashcards), then I suggest continuing during your bar prep period. Bar prep is not the time to employ a new learning style. The bar prep courses are cookie cutter, one size fits all; don't be afraid to deviate a little or mold the elements of the course to fit your style of learning.

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 am

Neve wrote:
RavenAgain wrote:My theory on MBEs is as follows: if you are below 1350 you have to learn more black letter law (read Barbri books or similar), if you are above you need to learn strategy (chose MBEs who have detailed and good explanations, like Emanuel)...
Interesting...You also need to consider your learning style and tailor your study method to this. How did you learn the black letter law and master your exams in law school? If something in particular worked for you (like using flashcards), then I suggest continuing during your bar prep period. Bar prep is not the time to employ a new learning style. The bar prep courses are cookie cutter, one size fits all; don't be afraid to deviate a little or mold the elements of the course to fit your style of learning.
100% agree. Great post.

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:50 pm

I can't seem to break 53% on real property questions. They are just INSANELY hard and, more to the point, they test so many different, tiny nuances of law that it seems like they will never run out of possible questions to ask that, so it's impossible to memorize them all.

I noticed though that according to Themis, the national average is 57% correct, and in my state, its 55%. So, should I not stress it because I'm at least close to the average? I was aiming for 65% correct, but that seems almost unattainable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:06 pm

RioGrandeLaw wrote:I can't seem to break 53% on real property questions. They are just INSANELY hard and, more to the point, they test so many different, tiny nuances of law that it seems like they will never run out of possible questions to ask that, so it's impossible to memorize them all.

I noticed though that according to Themis, the national average is 57% correct, and in my state, its 55%. So, should I not stress it because I'm at least close to the average? I was aiming for 65% correct, but that seems almost unattainable.
I wouldn't stress about it if you are on target or above for the other MBE subjects. You are very close to your state average for real property.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”