Those unemployed and in bar exam limbo, how have you economically and socially survived Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
brorepresentation1

New

Re: Those unemployed and in bar exam limbo, how have you economically and socially survived

Post by brorepresentation1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Ssparker wrote:
waxecstatic wrote: Dude, honestly speaking, if you don't have anything lined up after graduation, it's incredibly hard to get a job.
--I hate people like the "dude" who wrote the above quote. First, that's not necessarily true, depending on the area of law you want to work in and/or region of the USA and/or the time period you are hunting for a law job. Second, even if it was accurate, don't you have better shit to be doing with your time dude?
MOST people don't have their entire career solidified upon graduation...some do, and then unexpectedly fail CA's sadistic bar exam...and even they will be ok...and probably even better off for having this dose of forced humility. No one likes a smug POS, and so hopefully we all will be able to avoid becoming "that guy."
I agree. I had NOTHING lined up after graduation. Things have turned around big time. It depends on the character of the individual.

acr

Silver

Re: Those unemployed and in bar exam limbo, how have you economically and socially survived

Post by acr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 pm

I had nothing lined up after graduation. Took the July UBE and got a high enough score for some states, but not the state I took the bar in. I worked for a lawn care company for $14/per hour and enjoyed it more than any legal job/internship I ever had during law school, despite the fact that I was working in 90 degree heat during August and September. Then I moved to Europe in October on a Working Holiday Visa (they are available if you graduated from a US school within 12 months). I’ve been teaching English here for income and traveling around to different countries. I never had a strong inclination to practice law and kind of see how silly it is to be so attached to the legal profession, now that I have some distance from it. I don’t know if I’ll ever practice law when I come back, but the way it’s changed my mindset has made me much happier - no one’s “too good” or “too smart” to work an hourly job for a while.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 pm

After graduating, I was in bar exam limbo for 2 years before finally passing the bar a few months ago. That experienced sucked and I've been full-time job searching (public interest) since summer. The positive is that I've had 10-12 interviews and feel like I'm heading in the right direction. Stay at it!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:15 pm

acr wrote:I had nothing lined up after graduation. Took the July UBE and got a high enough score for some states, but not the state I took the bar in. I worked for a lawn care company for $14/per hour and enjoyed it more than any legal job/internship I ever had during law school, despite the fact that I was working in 90 degree heat during August and September. Then I moved to Europe in October on a Working Holiday Visa (th okey are available if you graduated from a US school within 12 months). I’ve been teaching English here for income and traveling around to different countries. I never had a strong inclination to practice law and kind of see how silly it is to be so attached to the legal profession, now that I have some distance from it. I don’t know if I’ll ever practice law when I come back, but the way it’s changed my mindset has made me much happier - no one’s “too good” or “too smart” to work an hourly job for a while.
That's a great mindset to have -- a little humility never hurt anyone. And I say this as someone who had a job for one day that required me to sell " designer imposter" fragrances out of omeone's trunk.

It's too bad you spent that time and money, but you should maybe do something with your legal education. Not every legal job involves angry fighting with a bunch of angry type a personalities.

Beatthebar89

New

Post by Beatthebar89 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:02 am

One word: parents. They are lifesavers. If they were not paying for my food and gas expenses, I would likely have to work while studying. I admire those of you who are so organized and utilizing every second of your day. I am putting up about eight hours a day studying and cannot imagine how I would jump from that study period to working until bedtime every night. I have not had any luck finding jobs, but I am sure I can find something once I take this exam. For anyone stressing out, know you are not alone, and we will all get through this tough time. Think about it, this is the last great hurdle before settling on your career and getting your life started after the years of education.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:28 am

Took me years to pass the CA bar. Finally did this past year.

Applied to over 300 places (public sector), had 12 interviews, and today I finally received a job offer.

Never give up guys... it will get better.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:05 am

justanotheruser wrote:Took me years to pass the CA bar. Finally did this past year.

Applied to over 300 places (public sector), had 12 interviews, and today I finally received a job offer.

Never give up guys... it will get better.

Congrats on the job offer! I'm was in the same boat. Still looking for a perm job offer though.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:57 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
acr wrote:I had nothing lined up after graduation. Took the July UBE and got a high enough score for some states, but not the state I took the bar in. I worked for a lawn care company for $14/per hour and enjoyed it more than any legal job/internship I ever had during law school, despite the fact that I was working in 90 degree heat during August and September. Then I moved to Europe in October on a Working Holiday Visa (th okey are available if you graduated from a US school within 12 months). I’ve been teaching English here for income and traveling around to different countries. I never had a strong inclination to practice law and kind of see how silly it is to be so attached to the legal profession, now that I have some distance from it. I don’t know if I’ll ever practice law when I come back, but the way it’s changed my mindset has made me much happier - no one’s “too good” or “too smart” to work an hourly job for a while.
That's a great mindset to have -- a little humility never hurt anyone. And I say this as someone who had a job for one day that required me to sell " designer imposter" fragrances out of omeone's trunk.

It's too bad you spent that time and money, but you should maybe do something with your legal education. Not every legal job involves angry fighting with a bunch of angry type a personalities.
I don't regret the time and money because I didn't spend any money, I had a full tuition scholarship. And law school, after 1L, turned into a blast for me. I got to live in a new, fun city, spend a summer in Chicago, made great friends, studied abroad in Europe, and generally enjoyed my professors/classes. I'm sure the JD will be beneficial to me in my career some day, and I'm not opposed to practicing when I come back, I'm just not on the straight and narrow path that so many law students think they have to be on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”