Mpre question Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
salim123

New

Mpre question

Post by salim123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm

I've taken it twice. Missed my required score by a single point both times. I have zero clue what I'm doing wrong. Advice?

Also, in terms of a retake can I take it after I start work in November or is this a no-no?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Mpre question

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:02 pm

How did you study?

salim123

New

Post by salim123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:How did you study?
Barbri tests twice and the outlines

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

salim123 wrote:I've taken it twice. Missed my required score by a single point both times. I have zero clue what I'm doing wrong. Advice?

Also, in terms of a retake can I take it after I start work in November or is this a no-no?
There is an administration in August as well. Sucks that its a few weeks after most bar exams, but you'll get results pre bar results (for my state at least).

I'd change things up next go around. Use multiple programs, i.e. sign up for Kaplan, Themis, and BarMax. Do a whole bunch of their questions and focus on what you are doing wrong (and right). Also, don't focus on just wrong answers. Highlight questions that you may have gotten right, but felt were challenging and review those answers as well. I found using multiple programs helpful because the question formats were somewhat different and they tested different materials. Obviously, no need to the whole program for any one of these providers, but just do enough to get varying question formats.

You got this!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:50 pm

salim123 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:How did you study?
Barbri tests twice and the outlines
How far in advance did you start studying? I truly think you should only begin 2 weeks out. No more than that. No less either. You don't want to be in a position to just skim it. Especially if you haven't had pr class in a while. Some people can get by with 2 days of studying. I couldn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:11 pm

salim123 wrote:I've taken it twice. Missed my required score by a single point both times. I have zero clue what I'm doing wrong. Advice?

I studied for two hours the first time I took it (literally two hours) and missed my state's cutoff by several points. I then took it again during the August administration, which was a week or two after the bar exam, without any additional studying beyond what I did for the bar exam, and passed easily. It sucked having to do it after the bar exam, but it made passing easier.

SilvermanBarPrep

Bronze

Post by SilvermanBarPrep » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:43 pm

I included a chapter in my books on the essential content needed to prepare for the MPRE, and if you'd like a free copy of that chapter just e-mail me and I'll send it (downloadable) your way. My e-mail address is listed on my blog.....

Sean (Silverman Bar Prep)
http://www.mbetutorial.blogspot.com

spartan4life

New

Post by spartan4life » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 am

When I took the MPRE I studied the bar bri specific outlines for that test. I also took multiple choice questions. My strategy that helped me pass was to first make sure I understood the rules of professional conduct (a given). But my ultimate tip that helped me pass is below.

The MPRE (like the MBEs) is a numbers game. The more you get right, the more points you get. With that being said,there are long fact patterns, medium fact patterns, and short fact patterns. If you go through the short and mediums ones first and come back to the long fact patterns, you can rack up a lot of points.

In practice and when I took the test, I read and answered the short and medium fact patterns. I saved the long fact patterns for last. After I went through the whole exam using my technique, I answered the long fact patterns.

This way you don't waste time on long questions because they are all worth equal value.

But you have to make sure you bubble in the corresponding number in the scantron when you skip questions. This truly helped me with timing and to pass.

p.s. Reading the answers and understanding them is a must.

Tsmith1150

New

Post by Tsmith1150 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Know the big topics like privilege, confidentiality, and fees like the back of your hand. Try to remember the shall from the May. Also Themis offer a free MPRE course. This is a random webite My friend found, And she said it helped.
http://www.rongolini.com/mpre/mpreexams.htm

Don't rush through the exam. Circle the questions you are unsure of and if time permit give it a second look. When you are down to five minutes blackened all remaining questions with an answer than go back and read the shortest of the ones you answered if the answer choice is wrong change it.

Remember you are not failing the MPRE unless you score under a 75; you a merely not scoring high enough for your jurisdiction. So refrain from thinking you failed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 pm

spartan4life wrote:When I took the MPRE I studied the bar bri specific outlines for that test. I also took multiple choice questions. My strategy that helped me pass was to first make sure I understood the rules of professional conduct (a given). But my ultimate tip that helped me pass is below.

The MPRE (like the MBEs) is a numbers game. The more you get right, the more points you get. With that being said,there are long fact patterns, medium fact patterns, and short fact patterns. If you go through the short and mediums ones first and come back to the long fact patterns, you can rack up a lot of points.

In practice and when I took the test, I read and answered the short and medium fact patterns. I saved the long fact patterns for last. After I went through the whole exam using my technique, I answered the long fact patterns.

This way you don't waste time on long questions because they are all worth equal value.

But you have to make sure you bubble in the corresponding number in the scantron when you skip questions. This truly helped me with timing and to pass.

p.s. Reading the answers and understanding them is a must.

No offence, and to each his own... but this seems like a wild strategy, particularly on bar exam with a lot more questions. Huge risks of (1) messing up your bubbling and (2) not having time to go back (particularly because of the added time it takes to go back, find the question, etc.). Also, wouldn't have helped much on this march's exam where there were almost no "short" fact patterns. I was expecting a fair share of short fact patterns (the practice exams had plenty), but there simply weren't many on this exam. We'll see if this trend continues.

MRSP

New

Post by MRSP » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:40 pm

I used Kaplan's free MPRE course for the practice tests, but I just went through the actual rules and made my own outline from the rules once to review the material, about two weeks prior to the exam. Typing out a quick outline as I went through the rules helped me to memorize them material. I also looked through the comments, and added big points from the comments on the major areas to my outline. The comments may be overwhelming, but as you read through them it helped me to memorize the meat of the rules since the comments get more specific and example like, if that makes sense. Some great advice given to me was, don't answer questions on the MPRE with your gut ethical instinct, but purely from your knowledge of the rules. You probably know this already since you only missed it by one point.

spartan4life

New

Post by spartan4life » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 pm

@racejudicata

Yes, I agree. You might mess up. That is why you have to consciously make sure that you are going from the question number in the booklet to the same question number on the scantron.

For example, you choose to read and answer question 10 in the booklet. After reading that question, tell yourself IN YOUR HEAD that you have to fill in question 10 in the scantron. It gets easy with practice.

Coming back to the long fact patterns is actually simple. After going through the short and medium fact patterns, this is how you go back to the long fact patterns you skipped: LOOK AT YOUR SCANTRON and go back in the booklet to the questions you did not fill in. It's that simple.

I had a majority of medium sized questions too and even though there weren't as many small fact patterns, I still went through the medium fact patterns before the long fact patterns. So basically, look for both small and medium sized fact patterns and answer those first.

I passed the MPRE on my first try using this method. The CA bar requires a scaled score of 86 for the MPRE and my strategy helped. For the MBE, the first time I took the CBX I scored above the national scaled score so my strategy also helped there too.

Try it for a week, it helps you get done on time and rack up points.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:00 pm

spartan4life wrote:@racejudicata

Yes, I agree. You might mess up. That is why you have to consciously make sure that you are going from the question number in the booklet to the same question number on the scantron.

For example, you choose to read and answer question 10 in the booklet. After reading that question, tell yourself IN YOUR HEAD that you have to fill in question 10 in the scantron. It gets easy with practice.

Coming back to the long fact patterns is actually simple. After going through the short and medium fact patterns, this is how you go back to the long fact patterns you skipped: LOOK AT YOUR SCANTRON and go back in the booklet to the questions you did not fill in. It's that simple.

I had a majority of medium sized questions too and even though there weren't as many small fact patterns, I still went through the medium fact patterns before the long fact patterns. So basically, look for both small and medium sized fact patterns and answer those first.

I passed the MPRE on my first try using this method. The CA bar requires a scaled score of 86 for the MPRE and my strategy helped. For the MBE, the first time I took the CBX I scored above the national scaled score so my strategy also helped there too.

Try it for a week, it helps you get done on time and rack up points.
Fair enough. For me, I think that this would be too many split second decisions to make in addition to the test questions. But, I suppose I shouldn't knock it until I try it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

spartan4life

New

Post by spartan4life » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Give the strategy a try. For me, it made the MPRE and the MBE much simpler because you don't read a long fact pattern and wonder in the back of your head if you're taking too much time because you are breezing through the shorter fact patterns first.

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Take lots of practice tests and try putting the rules and answers of questions you got wrong/found difficult into a single bulleted outline. Keep growing the outline as you encounter hard questions during your study and review it until you know the rule/logic for every missed question. I did this during the last two days before the MPRE and my score jumped from a borderline passing score to a 124. Good luck! I'm sure you'll own the MPRE next time!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”