New Low For February Bar takers

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 am

maxmartin wrote:Thank you. Do you have any insight into CA score system? Especially the new score system of coming July?


Sorry, no clue about the new score system, but there is a great paper on the CA score system from 1977:
http://www.seaphe.org/pdf/past-bar-rese ... ations.pdf

One of the most interesting findings from this paper was that when they gave the same examinee's essay to all the graders (without telling them) to see how consistent they were (the graders were told to mark each essay pass or fail), they found that the graders were consistent only 67% of the time (i.e. for every two graders that marked the essay a PASS, one grader marked it a FAIL).

My personal opinion is that CA will switch to the UBE in a few years (the switch from a 3-day exam to a 2-day exam was rather suggestive of this). The big states are eventually going to all fall in line (e.g. Illinois is currently considering the UBE and will probably be the next big jurisdiction to switch).

F17fighterpilot
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby F17fighterpilot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:50 pm

So I should wait for CA to hop on the UBE train. Not sure how long my score will be portable to new states adopting it. (3 years?) Also not sure if I will have scored high enough. One thing that keeps me sane is reading people who were equally stressed out and got like 280+ on their score. I'm curious as to know how the 25 pretest questions will affect our ability to over-achieve on the MBE. Scores over 145 seem unattainable now. What is that a raw score of? 130? The margin of error has gone down.. but as you said.. the margin of success has increased slightly.

also.. ive tried to figure out how the MEE is graded but im so confused. Is it a 1-5 scale. 1-6 scale. Is a 3 slightly below failing? is a 4 a pass? how do they assign points to the answers and then round up or down to a 3-4? and then add those up and then scale it again. Its confusing. The way barbri scores your practice essays is no where near similar. It just shows you passing above and below based on how many trigger sentences you wrote. And then it's 30% weight of 400 points. so basically 120 points for the MEE and 80 points for the MPT. Making each essay worth 20 points (depending on difficulty). So they then make it a 1-5 or 1-6 scale making a 3 fail, and a 4 a pass?

I answered all the questions so I know I didnt score a 1 on any. I wrote down applicable law to all of them so I didnt get a 2 really on any. But does two essays that are 3's spell doom for the entire exam?

My guesstimation:
If you average 3's on the essays you get 72 points. Plus 52 points for the MPT (if you got a 65% correct score). So that makes it 122 unscaled points. Not enough..

So if we got two: 4's and four 3's: we'd 80 MEE points plus 52= 132 unscaled points.. making a 134 MBE (scaled) required to pass the bar in NY. So does the question boil down to.. did at least 2 of your essays score a 4+, while none of your essays scored below a 3.. in order to pass.
How could we overcome a 2 on one or more of the essays? you have to do better than a 75% on the MPT while getting median MBE scores.

So for those of you thinking you bombed the MEE because of Trusts and (insert subject here)... you can get 2's on two... (which is unlikely.. because we are smart and wrote IRAC and knew enough) do well on the MPT's and average on the MBE to pass. It's hard to think that nearly 50% of takers did worse than a 3 on the MEE for over half their essays.

Is this logic right joe? adding up the 3's and 4's.. / 30 and X by 120 points to get the raw MEE score?

happyhour1122
Posts: 1060
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby happyhour1122 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

F17fighterpilot wrote:So I should wait for CA to hop on the UBE train. Not sure how long my score will be portable to new states adopting it. (3 years?) Also not sure if I will have scored high enough. One thing that keeps me sane is reading people who were equally stressed out and got like 280+ on their score. I'm curious as to know how the 25 pretest questions will affect our ability to over-achieve on the MBE. Scores over 145 seem unattainable now. What is that a raw score of? 130? The margin of error has gone down.. but as you said.. the margin of success has increased slightly.

also.. ive tried to figure out how the MEE is graded but im so confused. Is it a 1-5 scale. 1-6 scale. Is a 3 slightly below failing? is a 4 a pass? how do they assign points to the answers and then round up or down to a 3-4? and then add those up and then scale it again. Its confusing. The way barbri scores your practice essays is no where near similar. It just shows you passing above and below based on how many trigger sentences you wrote. And then it's 30% weight of 400 points. so basically 120 points for the MEE and 80 points for the MPT. Making each essay worth 20 points (depending on difficulty). So they then make it a 1-5 or 1-6 scale making a 3 fail, and a 4 a pass?

I answered all the questions so I know I didnt score a 1 on any. I wrote down applicable law to all of them so I didnt get a 2 really on any. But does two essays that are 3's spell doom for the entire exam?

My guesstimation:
If you average 3's on the essays you get 72 points. Plus 52 points for the MPT (if you got a 65% correct score). So that makes it 122 unscaled points. Not enough..

So if we got two: 4's and four 3's: we'd 80 MEE points plus 52= 132 unscaled points.. making a 134 MBE (scaled) required to pass the bar in NY. So does the question boil down to.. did at least 2 of your essays score a 4+, while none of your essays scored below a 3.. in order to pass.
How could we overcome a 2 on one or more of the essays? you have to do better than a 75% on the MPT while getting median MBE scores.

So for those of you thinking you bombed the MEE because of Trusts and (insert subject here)... you can get 2's on two... (which is unlikely.. because we are smart and wrote IRAC and knew enough) do well on the MPT's and average on the MBE to pass. It's hard to think that nearly 50% of takers did worse than a 3 on the MEE for over half their essays.

Is this logic right joe? adding up the 3's and 4's.. / 30 and X by 120 points to get the raw MEE score?



ok this was exactly what I was looking for. This is my prediction on my score. Please tell me if i passed.

K: 3
Agency: 5
Trust: 2
Fam: 3
Corp: 4
Property: 3

MBE 140

MPT.... how do I grade this to pass?

TheJuryMustDie
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby TheJuryMustDie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

F17fighterpilot wrote:So I should wait for CA to hop on the UBE train. Not sure how long my score will be portable to new states adopting it. (3 years?) Also not sure if I will have scored high enough. One thing that keeps me sane is reading people who were equally stressed out and got like 280+ on their score. I'm curious as to know how the 25 pretest questions will affect our ability to over-achieve on the MBE. Scores over 145 seem unattainable now. What is that a raw score of? 130? The margin of error has gone down.. but as you said.. the margin of success has increased slightly.

also.. ive tried to figure out how the MEE is graded but im so confused. Is it a 1-5 scale. 1-6 scale. Is a 3 slightly below failing? is a 4 a pass? how do they assign points to the answers and then round up or down to a 3-4? and then add those up and then scale it again. Its confusing. The way barbri scores your practice essays is no where near similar. It just shows you passing above and below based on how many trigger sentences you wrote. And then it's 30% weight of 400 points. so basically 120 points for the MEE and 80 points for the MPT. Making each essay worth 20 points (depending on difficulty). So they then make it a 1-5 or 1-6 scale making a 3 fail, and a 4 a pass?

I answered all the questions so I know I didnt score a 1 on any. I wrote down applicable law to all of them so I didnt get a 2 really on any. But does two essays that are 3's spell doom for the entire exam?

My guesstimation:
If you average 3's on the essays you get 72 points. Plus 52 points for the MPT (if you got a 65% correct score). So that makes it 122 unscaled points. Not enough..

So if we got two: 4's and four 3's: we'd 80 MEE points plus 52= 132 unscaled points.. making a 134 MBE (scaled) required to pass the bar in NY. So does the question boil down to.. did at least 2 of your essays score a 4+, while none of your essays scored below a 3.. in order to pass.
How could we overcome a 2 on one or more of the essays? you have to do better than a 75% on the MPT while getting median MBE scores.

So for those of you thinking you bombed the MEE because of Trusts and (insert subject here)... you can get 2's on two... (which is unlikely.. because we are smart and wrote IRAC and knew enough) do well on the MPT's and average on the MBE to pass. It's hard to think that nearly 50% of takers did worse than a 3 on the MEE for over half their essays.

Is this logic right joe? adding up the 3's and 4's.. / 30 and X by 120 points to get the raw MEE score?


Good analysis! Does one grader get to grade all of a candidate's 6 essays and MPT, do you know?

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm

F17fighterpilot wrote:So I should wait for CA to hop on the UBE train. Not sure how long my score will be portable to new states adopting it. (3 years?) Also not sure if I will have scored high enough. One thing that keeps me sane is reading people who were equally stressed out and got like 280+ on their score. I'm curious as to know how the 25 pretest questions will affect our ability to over-achieve on the MBE. Scores over 145 seem unattainable now. What is that a raw score of? 130? The margin of error has gone down.. but as you said.. the margin of success has increased slightly.

also.. ive tried to figure out how the MEE is graded but im so confused. Is it a 1-5 scale. 1-6 scale. Is a 3 slightly below failing? is a 4 a pass? how do they assign points to the answers and then round up or down to a 3-4? and then add those up and then scale it again. Its confusing. The way barbri scores your practice essays is no where near similar. It just shows you passing above and below based on how many trigger sentences you wrote. And then it's 30% weight of 400 points. so basically 120 points for the MEE and 80 points for the MPT. Making each essay worth 20 points (depending on difficulty). So they then make it a 1-5 or 1-6 scale making a 3 fail, and a 4 a pass?

I answered all the questions so I know I didnt score a 1 on any. I wrote down applicable law to all of them so I didnt get a 2 really on any. But does two essays that are 3's spell doom for the entire exam?

My guesstimation:
If you average 3's on the essays you get 72 points. Plus 52 points for the MPT (if you got a 65% correct score). So that makes it 122 unscaled points. Not enough..

So if we got two: 4's and four 3's: we'd 80 MEE points plus 52= 132 unscaled points.. making a 134 MBE (scaled) required to pass the bar in NY. So does the question boil down to.. did at least 2 of your essays score a 4+, while none of your essays scored below a 3.. in order to pass.
How could we overcome a 2 on one or more of the essays? you have to do better than a 75% on the MPT while getting median MBE scores.

So for those of you thinking you bombed the MEE because of Trusts and (insert subject here)... you can get 2's on two... (which is unlikely.. because we are smart and wrote IRAC and knew enough) do well on the MPT's and average on the MBE to pass. It's hard to think that nearly 50% of takers did worse than a 3 on the MEE for over half their essays.

Is this logic right joe? adding up the 3's and 4's.. / 30 and X by 120 points to get the raw MEE score?


For CA, I expect them to be the last state to switch to the UBE (and Florida will probably be 2nd to last), so it may be a while.

According to NCBE, some states grade the MEE/MPT on a 1-5 scale, some grade on a 1-6 scale, and some grade on a 1-10 scale. In NY, the MEE is graded on a 20-80 scale. According to the July 2016 NYBOLE score report: “The scaled score for each of the six MEE questions and two MPT questions are arrived at by converting the raw score for each question to a scale that generally ranges from approximately 20 to 80, with 50 as the mean.” Did you sit for the exam in NY? If so, I wont have an F17 calculator done until the scores are released.

Here is Washington’s breakdown of MEE Grading Standards (1-6 scale):

A 6 answer is a very good answer. A 6 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a thorough understanding of the facts, a recognition of the issues presented and the applicable principles of law, and the ability to reason to a conclusion in a well-written paper.
A 5 answer is an above average answer. A 5 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a fairly complete understanding of the facts, recognizes most of the issues and the applicable principles of law, and has the ability to reason fairly well to a conclusion in a relatively well-written paper.
A 4 answer demonstrates an average answer. A 4 answer usually indicates that the applicant understands the facts fairly well, recognizes most of the issues and the applicable principles of law, and has the ability to reason to a conclusion in a satisfactorily written paper.
A 3 answer demonstrates a somewhat below average answer. A 3 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, inadequate. It shows that the applicant has only a limited understanding of the facts and issues and the applicable principles of law, and a limited ability to reason to a conclusion in a below average written paper.
A 2 answer demonstrates a below average answer. A 2 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, significantly flawed. It shows that the applicant has only a rudimentary understanding of the facts and/or law, very limited ability to reason to a conclusion, and poor writing ability.
A 1 answer is among the worst answers. A 1 answer usually indicates a failure to understand the facts and the law. A 1 answer shows virtually no ability to identify issues, reason, or write in a cogent manner.
A 0 answer indicates that there is no response to the question or that it is completely unresponsive to the question.

MPT Grading Standards
A 6 answer is a very good answer. A 6 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a thorough comprehension of the practical and academic aspects of the task, understands and synthesizes the relevant factual and legal materials, and uses them to write a legally supported, well-written, responsive product in the time allotted.
A 5 answer is an above average answer. A 5 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a fairly complete understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task, understands and synthesizes most of the relevant factual and legal materials, and uses them to write a legally supported, reasonably well-written, mostly responsive product in the time allotted.
A 4 answer demonstrates an average answer. A 4 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a fair understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task and understands enough of the relevant factual and legal materials to incorporate them into a relatively satisfactory, albeit less than completely responsive, product in the time allotted.
A 3 answer demonstrates a somewhat below average answer. A 3 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, inadequate. It shows that the applicant has a limited understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task, does not understand or synthesize some of the key factual and legal materials, and thus is unable to incorporate them into a satisfactorily responsive product in the time allotted.
A 2 answer demonstrates a below average answer. A 2 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, significantly flawed. It shows that the applicant has only a rudimentary understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task, has failed to grasp and synthesize most of the relevant factual and legal materials, and thus has not produced a useful written product in the time allotted.
A 1 answer is among the worst answers. A 1 answer usually indicates a failure to understand the task or how to accomplish it, and an inability to understand and synthesize the factual and legal materials and incorporate them into a minimally acceptable written product.
A 0 answer indicates that there is no response to the question or that it is completely unresponsive to the question.

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote:Good analysis! Does one grader get to grade all of a candidate's 6 essays and MPT, do you know?


Which state? In NY there are 7-8 graders per essay/MPT. At a March 2011 bar exam workshop at New York Law School, Bryan R. Williams of the NYS Board of Law Examiners stated:

Now the grading of the exam. The grading of the exam is done totally anonymously. With each question there are seven graders. So you have five essay questions, and an MPT. So seven people throughout the whole state will grade all of question one, seven other people all of question two, so seven other people all of question three, and so forth. And what happens is when we draft a question, we also draft a model answer, that model answer has citations and so forth. And then we have a grading grid with that. And our team of those seven people that are given the question, the model answer, the grading grid. And then, after the actual the exam is given, the next day, all of us, the board member and all seven graders, get the same 50-100 sample answers that a person actually wrote at the bar exam. So, about that Friday we'll all get the same 100 exams that people wrote at the exam, and what we do then is we take that model answer with the question and we grade it by ourselves at first, some of like twenty-five, then we come together for an all day meeting where we sit in a room and we go through those answers to determine how our model answer is going to end up. In other words, we rank order people. [00:24:06]

jtp191
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby jtp191 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:05 am

Joe, do you have any insight as to how the RI exam is graded? The website says that the essays are scaled to the MBE. Thank you.

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am

jtp191 wrote:Joe, do you have any insight as to how the RI exam is graded? The website says that the essays are scaled to the MBE. Thank you.


The RI rules say that the MEE and local essay questions are graded on a six-point scale, with 6 being the highest score and 0 being the lowest score, so I would suggest looking at the Washington Bar Exam Grading Rubric I posted earlier in this thread.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of candidates fail some essay questions on the exam. According to the November 2001 issue of NCBE’s Bar Examiner:

Analyses of actual scores from one state, Ohio, show that the overwhelming majority of candidates fail some essay questions— and that minimally competent candidates fail multiple essay questions. States that require candidates to pass a minimum number of essays, moreover, tend to require candidates to pass just over half of the essays. Delaware, for example, which ranks with California as one of the toughest bar exams in the nation, allows passing candidates to fail five of its twelve essays. Rhode Island, which also maintains one of the nation’s highest passing scores, likewise allows passing examinees to fail five out of twelve essays.
See http://seperac.com/pdf/700401_KaneMerri ... neille.pdf

In examining the average pass rates in Rhode Island over the past 20 years of reported information, the February Overall Pass Rate is 62.4% while the July Overall Pass Rate is 71.5%. The February First Time Takers Pass Rate is 65.2% while the July First Time Takers Pass Rate is 71.4%. The February Repeaters Pass Rate is 41% while the July Repeaters Pass Rate is 38.7%. In Rhode Island over the past 20 years, the February ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 71.2% while the July ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 79.3%. The February ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 51.1% while the July ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 52.5%.

FYI, it is considered the 12th hardest bar exam in the U.S.:
http://witnesseth.typepad.com/blog/2013 ... exams.html

favrefire4
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby favrefire4 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Joe,

Thanks for all of your help with this; it's sincerely appreciated! I realize most of your analysis has been focused on UBE states or states that at least utilize both the MBE and the MEE. Do you have any insight on the TX exam, where there is an MBE, 12 state essays, one MPT, and 40 short-answer questions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jtp191
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby jtp191 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
jtp191 wrote:Joe, do you have any insight as to how the RI exam is graded? The website says that the essays are scaled to the MBE. Thank you.


The RI rules say that the MEE and local essay questions are graded on a six-point scale, with 6 being the highest score and 0 being the lowest score, so I would suggest looking at the Washington Bar Exam Grading Rubric I posted earlier in this thread.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of candidates fail some essay questions on the exam. According to the November 2001 issue of NCBE’s Bar Examiner:

Analyses of actual scores from one state, Ohio, show that the overwhelming majority of candidates fail some essay questions— and that minimally competent candidates fail multiple essay questions. States that require candidates to pass a minimum number of essays, moreover, tend to require candidates to pass just over half of the essays. Delaware, for example, which ranks with California as one of the toughest bar exams in the nation, allows passing candidates to fail five of its twelve essays. Rhode Island, which also maintains one of the nation’s highest passing scores, likewise allows passing examinees to fail five out of twelve essays.
See http://seperac.com/pdf/700401_KaneMerri ... neille.pdf

In examining the average pass rates in Rhode Island over the past 20 years of reported information, the February Overall Pass Rate is 62.4% while the July Overall Pass Rate is 71.5%. The February First Time Takers Pass Rate is 65.2% while the July First Time Takers Pass Rate is 71.4%. The February Repeaters Pass Rate is 41% while the July Repeaters Pass Rate is 38.7%. In Rhode Island over the past 20 years, the February ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 71.2% while the July ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 79.3%. The February ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 51.1% while the July ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 52.5%.

FYI, it is considered the 12th hardest bar exam in the U.S.:
http://witnesseth.typepad.com/blog/2013 ... exams.html


Thank you very much for your comments and input!

Would you say that we're graded against our peers? I was trying to figure out if a 4 essay is scaled lower with, say, a 124 MBE versus a 135 MBE.

F17fighterpilot
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby F17fighterpilot » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

JoeSeperac wrote:
F17fighterpilot wrote:So I should wait for CA to hop on the UBE train. Not sure how long my score will be portable to new states adopting it. (3 years?) Also not sure if I will have scored high enough. One thing that keeps me sane is reading people who were equally stressed out and got like 280+ on their score. I'm curious as to know how the 25 pretest questions will affect our ability to over-achieve on the MBE. Scores over 145 seem unattainable now. What is that a raw score of? 130? The margin of error has gone down.. but as you said.. the margin of success has increased slightly.

also.. ive tried to figure out how the MEE is graded but im so confused. Is it a 1-5 scale. 1-6 scale. Is a 3 slightly below failing? is a 4 a pass? how do they assign points to the answers and then round up or down to a 3-4? and then add those up and then scale it again. Its confusing. The way barbri scores your practice essays is no where near similar. It just shows you passing above and below based on how many trigger sentences you wrote. And then it's 30% weight of 400 points. so basically 120 points for the MEE and 80 points for the MPT. Making each essay worth 20 points (depending on difficulty). So they then make it a 1-5 or 1-6 scale making a 3 fail, and a 4 a pass?

I answered all the questions so I know I didnt score a 1 on any. I wrote down applicable law to all of them so I didnt get a 2 really on any. But does two essays that are 3's spell doom for the entire exam?

My guesstimation:
If you average 3's on the essays you get 72 points. Plus 52 points for the MPT (if you got a 65% correct score). So that makes it 122 unscaled points. Not enough..

So if we got two: 4's and four 3's: we'd 80 MEE points plus 52= 132 unscaled points.. making a 134 MBE (scaled) required to pass the bar in NY. So does the question boil down to.. did at least 2 of your essays score a 4+, while none of your essays scored below a 3.. in order to pass.
How could we overcome a 2 on one or more of the essays? you have to do better than a 75% on the MPT while getting median MBE scores.

So for those of you thinking you bombed the MEE because of Trusts and (insert subject here)... you can get 2's on two... (which is unlikely.. because we are smart and wrote IRAC and knew enough) do well on the MPT's and average on the MBE to pass. It's hard to think that nearly 50% of takers did worse than a 3 on the MEE for over half their essays.

Is this logic right joe? adding up the 3's and 4's.. / 30 and X by 120 points to get the raw MEE score?


For CA, I expect them to be the last state to switch to the UBE (and Florida will probably be 2nd to last), so it may be a while.

According to NCBE, some states grade the MEE/MPT on a 1-5 scale, some grade on a 1-6 scale, and some grade on a 1-10 scale. In NY, the MEE is graded on a 20-80 scale. According to the July 2016 NYBOLE score report: “The scaled score for each of the six MEE questions and two MPT questions are arrived at by converting the raw score for each question to a scale that generally ranges from approximately 20 to 80, with 50 as the mean.” Did you sit for the exam in NY? If so, I wont have an F17 calculator done until the scores are released.

Here is Washington’s breakdown of MEE Grading Standards (1-6 scale):

A 6 answer is a very good answer. A 6 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a thorough understanding of the facts, a recognition of the issues presented and the applicable principles of law, and the ability to reason to a conclusion in a well-written paper.
A 5 answer is an above average answer. A 5 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a fairly complete understanding of the facts, recognizes most of the issues and the applicable principles of law, and has the ability to reason fairly well to a conclusion in a relatively well-written paper.
A 4 answer demonstrates an average answer. A 4 answer usually indicates that the applicant understands the facts fairly well, recognizes most of the issues and the applicable principles of law, and has the ability to reason to a conclusion in a satisfactorily written paper.
A 3 answer demonstrates a somewhat below average answer. A 3 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, inadequate. It shows that the applicant has only a limited understanding of the facts and issues and the applicable principles of law, and a limited ability to reason to a conclusion in a below average written paper.
A 2 answer demonstrates a below average answer. A 2 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, significantly flawed. It shows that the applicant has only a rudimentary understanding of the facts and/or law, very limited ability to reason to a conclusion, and poor writing ability.
A 1 answer is among the worst answers. A 1 answer usually indicates a failure to understand the facts and the law. A 1 answer shows virtually no ability to identify issues, reason, or write in a cogent manner.
A 0 answer indicates that there is no response to the question or that it is completely unresponsive to the question.

MPT Grading Standards
A 6 answer is a very good answer. A 6 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a thorough comprehension of the practical and academic aspects of the task, understands and synthesizes the relevant factual and legal materials, and uses them to write a legally supported, well-written, responsive product in the time allotted.
A 5 answer is an above average answer. A 5 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a fairly complete understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task, understands and synthesizes most of the relevant factual and legal materials, and uses them to write a legally supported, reasonably well-written, mostly responsive product in the time allotted.
A 4 answer demonstrates an average answer. A 4 answer usually indicates that the applicant has a fair understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task and understands enough of the relevant factual and legal materials to incorporate them into a relatively satisfactory, albeit less than completely responsive, product in the time allotted.
A 3 answer demonstrates a somewhat below average answer. A 3 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, inadequate. It shows that the applicant has a limited understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task, does not understand or synthesize some of the key factual and legal materials, and thus is unable to incorporate them into a satisfactorily responsive product in the time allotted.
A 2 answer demonstrates a below average answer. A 2 answer usually indicates that it is, on balance, significantly flawed. It shows that the applicant has only a rudimentary understanding of the practical and academic aspects of the task, has failed to grasp and synthesize most of the relevant factual and legal materials, and thus has not produced a useful written product in the time allotted.
A 1 answer is among the worst answers. A 1 answer usually indicates a failure to understand the task or how to accomplish it, and an inability to understand and synthesize the factual and legal materials and incorporate them into a minimally acceptable written product.
A 0 answer indicates that there is no response to the question or that it is completely unresponsive to the question.



Joe:

For NY: If 50 is the mean.. and I got the mean? wouldnt that mean 60 Raw MEE points?

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 pm

favrefire4 wrote:Joe,

Thanks for all of your help with this; it's sincerely appreciated! I realize most of your analysis has been focused on UBE states or states that at least utilize both the MBE and the MEE. Do you have any insight on the TX exam, where there is an MBE, 12 state essays, one MPT, and 40 short-answer questions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!



I can't offer much advice on Texas. Some advice from NCBE may help:

According to a 1976 American Bar Association Journal interview with Joe E. Covington, the director of testing of the National Conference of Bar Examiners, when asked whether state bar examiners can use only the MBE score and not look at the essays at all to make a pass or fail designation, the NCBE director responded:

At least four jurisdictions do not read the essay answers of applicant who make a predetermined score or above that score. Some states select an M.B.E, score of 140 for this purpose. Applicants who achieve this selected score or above are admitted to the bar solely on the M.B.E. score. If an applicant scores this high on the M.B.E., the correlation of the essay and M.B.E tests is so good that in only very rare cases would the essay score of an applicant be low enough to bring the average of the scores below the passing score were his essay answers graded.

see Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the Multistate Bar Examination, American Bar Association Journal; Mar 1976, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p315


FYI, in examining the average pass rates in Texas over the past 20 years of reported information, the February Overall Pass Rate is 65.6% while the July Overall Pass Rate is 77.1%. The February First Time Takers Pass Rate is 72.3% while the July First Time Takers Pass Rate is 74.5%. The February Repeaters Pass Rate is 45% while the July Repeaters Pass Rate is 36.2%. Over these 20 years, an average of 3,983 examinees took the exam annually in Texas. In examining the average pass rates in Texas over the past 20 years of reported information, the February ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 78.2% while the July ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 84.2%. The February ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 53.5% while the July ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 38.1%.

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:28 pm

jtp191 wrote:Would you say that we're graded against our peers? I was trying to figure out if a 4 essay is scaled lower with, say, a 124 MBE versus a 135 MBE.


As I mentioned above, according to the July 2016 NYBOLE score report: “The scaled score for each of the six MEE questions and two MPT questions are arrived at by converting the raw score for each question to a scale that generally ranges from approximately 20 to 80, with 50 as the mean.” The scale is the same for everyone for that administration. I have an older calculator that explains scaling and lets you play around with the values to see how the scaling changes:
http://www.seperac.com/zcalc-raw-scaled.php

Whether the essay/MPT score you receive is reliable is a whole different story.

JoeSeperac
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby JoeSeperac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:31 pm

F17fighterpilot wrote:For NY: If 50 is the mean.. and I got the mean? wouldnt that mean 60 Raw MEE points?


On the July 2016 NY UBE exam, a passing essay/MPT received a scaled score of 47.82. If you received a score of 47.82 on each of your 6 MEE answers, you would have 79.8 points towards your final score, which is 30% of 266.

jtp191
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Re: New Low For February Bar takers

Postby jtp191 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 am

JoeSeperac wrote:
jtp191 wrote:Joe, do you have any insight as to how the RI exam is graded? The website says that the essays are scaled to the MBE. Thank you.


The RI rules say that the MEE and local essay questions are graded on a six-point scale, with 6 being the highest score and 0 being the lowest score, so I would suggest looking at the Washington Bar Exam Grading Rubric I posted earlier in this thread.

Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of candidates fail some essay questions on the exam. According to the November 2001 issue of NCBE’s Bar Examiner:

Analyses of actual scores from one state, Ohio, show that the overwhelming majority of candidates fail some essay questions— and that minimally competent candidates fail multiple essay questions. States that require candidates to pass a minimum number of essays, moreover, tend to require candidates to pass just over half of the essays. Delaware, for example, which ranks with California as one of the toughest bar exams in the nation, allows passing candidates to fail five of its twelve essays. Rhode Island, which also maintains one of the nation’s highest passing scores, likewise allows passing examinees to fail five out of twelve essays.
See http://seperac.com/pdf/700401_KaneMerri ... neille.pdf

In examining the average pass rates in Rhode Island over the past 20 years of reported information, the February Overall Pass Rate is 62.4% while the July Overall Pass Rate is 71.5%. The February First Time Takers Pass Rate is 65.2% while the July First Time Takers Pass Rate is 71.4%. The February Repeaters Pass Rate is 41% while the July Repeaters Pass Rate is 38.7%. In Rhode Island over the past 20 years, the February ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 71.2% while the July ABA First-Timers Pass Rate is 79.3%. The February ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 51.1% while the July ABA Repeaters Pass Rate is 52.5%.

FYI, it is considered the 12th hardest bar exam in the U.S.:
http://witnesseth.typepad.com/blog/2013 ... exams.html


Thank you again Joe. RI is tough we have 6 MEE's 3 local Q's and the MBE. I believe it's 50% MBE, 41% Essay and 9% MPT.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”