July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jenna17

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Jenna17 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
guyindfw wrote:I am planning to buy seperac, Studicata and leansheets. If anyone wants to pool together, please PM me.

Check out mee one-sheets, it's been around longer than studicata. I think studi just debuted their material...
I would also check out SmartBarPrep... they have been around a long time and are readable and comprehensive. A friend of mine gave me hers from last year and im just waiting on their new release next week. It might be the game changer we all need lol... i have also seen seperac, they are just as good but maybe tooo much information. Hope this helps

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:maybe more people registered than they had anticipated
They sent the same email in February. I'm assuming they try to avoid this problem every testing session.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu May 25, 2017 5:07 pm

How do we see the answers to those torts practice questions on barbri

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 pm

PourMeTea wrote:How do we see the answers to those torts practice questions on barbri
The immersion questions? Click on the little "i" in the top right corner, scroll down to "MBE Immersion", and click on "Explanatory Answers for Questions".

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu May 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:How do we see the answers to those torts practice questions on barbri
The immersion questions? Click on the little "i" in the top right corner, scroll down to "MBE Immersion", and click on "Explanatory Answers for Questions".
The ones after that, scheduled for Saturday I think. But thanks this is helpful!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 am

Should I really attempt to keep with the study schedule as assigned by BarBri or could doing my own thing vis a vis the outlines and practice questions be credible?

ellewoodsNYC

New

Post by ellewoodsNYC » Fri May 26, 2017 10:07 am

does anyone know whether the multiple choice questions on the bar will be taken on our laptops or handwritten?

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Fri May 26, 2017 10:08 am

ellewoodsNYC wrote:does anyone know whether the multiple choice questions on the bar will be taken on our laptops or handwritten?
Handwritten.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri May 26, 2017 3:27 pm

How long are we supposed to take for each essay for the MEE?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Sprout wrote:How long are we supposed to take for each essay for the MEE?
30 mins for each essay - but that's all in, so reading the question, making quick essay plan, time to panic, time to daydream etc etc

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 am

anybody that's doing barbri thinking about changing the order?

seems too risky to not see some subjects at all for several weeks. i'm thinking about reading the conviser review and watching the subject videos for all of the mbe subjects right away in this next week and then working through the exercises afterwards. on 2 speed the videos dont even take that long and seem to be good general overviews of the subject. any thoughts on this type of approach?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat May 27, 2017 3:31 pm

I still have no idea how any one watches the videos on 2x and is able to absorb a single thing. :shock:

Did anyone find the essay architect thing for barbri helpful because so far it seems like a bigger waste of time than the immersion. I don't want to skip shit though if it is useful :?

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sat May 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Sprout wrote:I still have no idea how any one watches the videos on 2x and is able to absorb a single thing. :shock:

Did anyone find the essay architect thing for barbri helpful because so far it seems like a bigger waste of time than the immersion. I don't want to skip shit though if it is useful :?
Definitely seemed like a huge waste of time. I watched it on 1.75, and I think I understand thoroughly what he was saying. I think better use of my afternoon will be trying to learn all of this torts I don't know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dovlet

New

Post by dovlet » Sat May 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Guys,
Let me share my story.
I sat at UBE jurisdiction. I failed July 2016 and PASSED ON February 2017.
1) It needs to realize that Bar exam is similar to other prep exams like LSAT where Bar examiners make one section harder and other section easier. Reviewing prior MPTs and MEEs from prior exams would give your hint. So, you have to predict what sections are difficult or what sections are easier.
2) I took Barbri for both exams. One word on Barbri. I failed at the first time b/c I spent a lot of time on workshops and lectures and doing outlines. It is just WASTE OF TIME. However, I used Barbri's method for MPT, CALLDRT (client, audience, legal problem, limited instructions, type of document) b/c it saved time to focus on what type of document needs to prepare and on what I must concentrate when I get to library.
3) I must give credit to bar prep instructors from my law school and one of them really helped to tackle on second try. One of them actually set up my schedule and told me how to tackle MPT and MEE. MBE was my strongest section so there is not a lot of changes I made for preparation on second time.
4) Schedule
I looked for job during preparation for second time, so I studied 3 hours on weekday when 1 hour was for MBE and 2 hours for MEE; 5-6 hours on Saturday when I spent that time only for MPT. On Sunday, 8-10 hours, I spent time on MBE and MEE.
5) MPT
Based on my instructor's advice, I bought MPT Point Sheets from previous exams on ncbex.org. They were great and helped me a lot to improve score. After practicing each exam, I reviewed Point Sheets and wrote for each MPT, what I missed that helped me to concentrate on required points and improved my score. Then, I made chart of summary noting whether MPT was difficult or not, what makes difficult and what I missed. I did 10-11 tests.
6) MBE
MBE was my greatest section so I did not make too much changes when I prep'd for second time. I did all practice sections for each subject at Barbri MBE book. Then, I started to do mixed subjects and then, repeated Simulated Exam and did Full Time exam on MBE Barbri book and MBE 100 questions refresher. I did not rely too much on scores for practice exams b/c I repeated them. However, on real exam, I went down by a couple of points in comparison from July exam.
7) MEE
MEE was my weakest section and I spent most of time on it. Following my instructor's advice, I outlined answers from MEE Barbri book for each subject essay. Then, after each 5 essays, I did full test on my own and then compared my answer with outline of answers and full answer from Barbri book. I remember that I did a few full tests. I did all essays at Barbri book. After I took February exam, I decided to start prepare b/c based on my predictions, July 2017, MEE would be difficult, MBE would be easiest and MPT would be between (February 2017-MBE was most difficult, MEE was between and MPT was easiest). This time, I did table and on one column, I put summary of facts; and on other column, I wrote a law and I did not use Barbri book but used MEE previous tests from ncbex.org.
While preparing for February 2017, however, biggest problem that I had that I prepared for February exam was committing a memory to remember law and last week was just crazy for me b/c I thought I would not be able to review all subjects for MEE. I also used MEE 2007 Barbri book for MEE subjects (Ks, Torts, CivPro and etc) since there is not a lot of prior exams for those subjects for practice.
P.S. Tip for July 2017 examinees-my predictions what subjects would be on exam-T/E and Wills, Criminal Law, FRCP, Crim Pro, Evidence, Partnership, Real Property, and Secured Transactions and Family Law-predictions based on frequency subject chart given by Barbri.
GOOD LUCK ALL OF YOU and thanks for reading it.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Sun May 28, 2017 10:14 am

For those of you doing adaptibar in conjunction with a typical bar course, are you waiting until you have watched the substantive lectures on the topic before doing the first 50 questions (they suggest you do 50 questions of each topic), or just going through them at their own rate? I completed the torts and civil procedure questions, and those are the only topics barbri has covered so far. Starting the real property questions without any review sounds like torture, but given the barbri timeline, it seems like thats what it expects?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun May 28, 2017 5:18 pm

while we're on the topic, what are y'all's thoughts on using adaptibar in conjunction with another course?

I'm tempted to as it's worth 50% and I study really well by using practice questions as opposed to simply reviewing material or watching lectures.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun May 28, 2017 6:33 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:while we're on the topic, what are y'all's thoughts on using adaptibar in conjunction with another course?

I'm tempted to as it's worth 50% and I study really well by using practice questions as opposed to simply reviewing material or watching lectures.
I think I'm gonna do it. everyone has been saying substantive studying only gets you so far but practice is the best..... I have discount code somewhere if you want it PM me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun May 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Sprout wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:while we're on the topic, what are y'all's thoughts on using adaptibar in conjunction with another course?

I think I'm gonna do it. everyone has been saying substantive studying only gets you so far but practice is the best..... I have discount code somewhere if you want it PM me
thanks---yeah, i'm debating between that and the emmanuel mbe book zuck mentioned in the c/o 2017 thread:
https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... 3RY716Q27F

price is making me lean towards the book, but we shall see...

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun May 28, 2017 8:23 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Sprout wrote:

thanks---yeah, i'm debating between that and the emmanuel mbe book zuck mentioned in the c/o 2017 thread:
https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... 3RY716Q27F

price is making me lean towards the book, but we shall see...
I have heard really good things ab the Emmanuel book

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Just purchased the MEE one-sheets from JDadvising. About to purchase the emmanuels, but wanted to point out that there's a more recent 6th edition (2016). I think the difference is that the fifth (2012) does not have a civ pro set of questions, and that they're only available via an access code they provide for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tacti ... 2WB7SJ15WN

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun May 28, 2017 9:34 pm

okaygo wrote:Just purchased the MEE one-sheets from JDadvising. About to purchase the emmanuels, but wanted to point out that there's a more recent 6th edition (2016). I think the difference is that the fifth (2012) does not have a civ pro set of questions, and that they're only available via an access code they provide for you.

thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon May 29, 2017 5:18 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
okaygo wrote:Just purchased the MEE one-sheets from JDadvising. About to purchase the emmanuels, but wanted to point out that there's a more recent 6th edition (2016). I think the difference is that the fifth (2012) does not have a civ pro set of questions, and that they're only available via an access code they provide for you.

thanks!
On this -- if you're using Barbri (or Themis/Kaplan), anyone heard anything on the best time to use these questions? One person advised me to use Emanuel after being done with Barbri's questions, but I kind of think that's backwards since Emanuel's are real NCBE questions whereas Barbri's are made up.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue May 30, 2017 1:40 am

Toubro wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

thanks!
On this -- if you're using Barbri (or Themis/Kaplan), anyone heard anything on the best time to use these questions? One person advised me to use Emanuel after being done with Barbri's questions, but I kind of think that's backwards since Emanuel's are real NCBE questions whereas Barbri's are made up.
Which part is backwards? Like you're saying you would have done more MBE prep pre-substantive review? Sorry I don't get what youre saying.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 am

Sprout wrote:
Toubro wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

thanks!
Which part is backwards? Like you're saying you would have done more MBE prep pre-substantive review? Sorry I don't get what youre saying.
I'm asking whether you should first complete Barbri's assigned, made-up MBE questions, and then move on the Emanuel's real ones for extra practice, or flip it, and prioritize doing Emanuel's questions first and then do Barbri's if you have time left.

I've heard someone say the former, which I think is backwards because it prioritizes Barbri's made-up questions over real NCBE questions from the Emanuel book.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:For those of you doing adaptibar in conjunction with a typical bar course, are you waiting until you have watched the substantive lectures on the topic before doing the first 50 questions (they suggest you do 50 questions of each topic), or just going through them at their own rate? I completed the torts and civil procedure questions, and those are the only topics barbri has covered so far. Starting the real property questions without any review sounds like torture, but given the barbri timeline, it seems like thats what it expects?
As a second stater - I would suggest doing at least 25 mixed adaptibar questions per day. Doesn't matter if you have reviewed those subjects, half of it is getting you familiar with the questions and how the subjects are tested, repetition and quantity of questions will help improve your score. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”