July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Blackhawks_Fan

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 am

ellewoodsNYC wrote:For those who are NYC residents and went to law school out of state, have you requested to sit for the bar in NYC? If so, how did it go?
NY Bar hasn't confirmed location assignments yet. It's due beginning of June. I suspect second week we'll hear. I was asked to submit proof of NY residency last Friday (19th). The email intimated confirmation of assignment would be three weeks from the 26th May deadline to submit the requested info.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue May 23, 2017 11:02 am

Wait. Have they opened up sign ups for non-NYC residents? I don't recall getting an email other than million and two about ExamSoft...

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Tue May 23, 2017 12:25 pm

okaygo wrote:Wait. Have they opened up sign ups for non-NYC residents? I don't recall getting an email other than million and two about ExamSoft...
No, that's my point. Sign ups not for a couple more weeks.

ellewoodsNYC

New

Post by ellewoodsNYC » Tue May 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:
ellewoodsNYC wrote:For those who are NYC residents and went to law school out of state, have you requested to sit for the bar in NYC? If so, how did it go?
NY Bar hasn't confirmed location assignments yet. It's due beginning of June. I suspect second week we'll hear. I was asked to submit proof of NY residency last Friday (19th). The email intimated confirmation of assignment would be three weeks from the 26th May deadline to submit the requested info.
I was asked to submit proof of residency as well but when I called to verify that a NY state ID would be sufficient, I was told that it may not be because the Board defines residency as those living in NY at the time the application to sit for the bar was submitted, which I was not since my law school is out of state. :evil:

ellewoodsNYC

New

Post by ellewoodsNYC » Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm

okaygo wrote:Wait. Have they opened up sign ups for non-NYC residents? I don't recall getting an email other than million and two about ExamSoft...
not yet but some of us were asked to submit proof of residency.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Tue May 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks all. Also I'm fully NOT enjoying being immersed in the MBE.

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Tue May 23, 2017 4:22 pm

okaygo wrote:Thanks all. Also I'm fully NOT enjoying being immersed in the MBE.
Probably my fault, my post wasn't that clear.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm

When do we have to send final, official transcripts to them?

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm

CPAn00b wrote:What's the point of taking the kaplan diagnostic exam? I'm on question 41 now out of 150, and super frustrated because it feels like I'm guessing on all of them. I don't remember much from my 1L classes. Seems like a colossal waste of my 4 hours.
From what I understood they use it to give you evening assignments when the course actually starts. For example, if you're doing Evidence on day 1 and you were particularly bad with hearsay, it's going to dynamically update that section to tell you to do more hearsay questions that evening, or something like that. It's not the only thing they use IIRC but it's probably one of several assessments they use to populate those HW assignments. I may be remembering that wrong though.

For me it did help me see a breakdown of what I got right/wrong in each section. For some subjects I thought I just generally sucked, but it was really only particular sub-categories in that subject that I sucked at, which helped me figure out of which topics, specifically I'd need to do a better review (rather than just "I don't remember property at all").

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legallyblonde88

New

Post by legallyblonde88 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Checking in from sunny CA! Themis.

For those of you who wisely already sat for the NYLE, how long should I take off from bar prep to refresh myself on NY law? I'm taking the June 15th NYLE and don't want to derail myself from the UBE anymore than I need to.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Last edited by Sprout on Tue May 23, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Tue May 23, 2017 8:25 pm

what is the difference between mbe and ube and the other acronyms

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm

PourMeTea wrote:what is the difference between mbe and ube and the other acronyms
MBE is multistate bar exam, and has been adopted as a part of the exam in 49 states. It's half the exam in NY I think. The UBE is the uniform bar exam which is I dk how many states. UBE states still have the MBE in them, UBE states just make it easier to transfer to be licensed in other UBE states, I think? Like you can take the UBE anywhere and then just the additional part specific to a dif UBE state and be licensed to practice there. I could be wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 pm

legallyblonde88 wrote:Checking in from sunny CA! Themis.

For those of you who wisely already sat for the NYLE, how long should I take off from bar prep to refresh myself on NY law? I'm taking the June 15th NYLE and don't want to derail myself from the UBE anymore than I need to.
Just watch the videos and learn how to search through the PDFs they give you. Don't spend time studying for it specifically (seriously).

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 pm

elendinel wrote:

Just watch the videos and learn how to search through the PDFs they give you. Don't spend time studying for it specifically (seriously).
Everyone says this, but is there time? If I'm a really shitty/slow reader should I study a little bit to be familiar, or is it actually a waste of time?

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Tue May 23, 2017 11:01 pm

Sprout wrote:
elendinel wrote:

Everyone says this, but is there time? If I'm a really shitty/slow reader should I study a little bit to be familiar, or is it actually a waste of time?
I had plenty of time (finished with more than an hour to spare), but I think the key was reading through it once so I knew generally what was where. If I hadn't done that, I think I would have been more pressed for time.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 am

Sprout wrote:
elendinel wrote:

I Ctrl+F'd for the videos, and then Ctrl+F'd for the test, and passed (also with at least an hour to spare). I did not review the study guides before, during, or after the videos. There were many subjects I hadn't studied in school. There were a couple questions I couldn't find outright during the test (most are answered verbatim in the study materials) and I gave my best guess as to the answer for those. If necessary break up your file into each section so that it takes less time to search, but I think if you're good at doing research/searches it's not hard to figure out the right words to use to find the right information for each question, even if you use the full file.

If you're truly worried, pay more attention to the file when you're watching the videos, so that you get a sense of where certain concepts are within the file. But it really is a waste of time to spend a whole lot of time studying for it separately from the UBE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 am

Is there a way to find out if our handwriting samples/record of attendance was received without calling? i don't see anything on my BOLE account page.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed May 24, 2017 10:47 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:Is there a way to find out if our handwriting samples/record of attendance was received without calling? i don't see anything on my BOLE account page.
You'll probably get an email if they don't have it.

My fucking school lost my handwriting sample and I left town. I'm going to murder someone this is the last thing I need right now.

eta: I am not actually going to murder someone.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 am

Sprout wrote:
OutoftheWoods wrote:Is there a way to find out if our handwriting samples/record of attendance was received without calling? i don't see anything on my BOLE account page.
You'll probably get an email if they don't have it.

My fucking school lost my handwriting sample and I left town. I'm going to murder someone this is the last thing I need right now.

eta: I am not actually going to murder someone.
Ugh that sucks, Sprout!!! Ask if you can mail them one that they can compare to past samples of your handwriting - I know that's an option at my school, at least.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed May 24, 2017 11:54 am

Slytherpuff wrote: Ugh that sucks, Sprout!!! Ask if you can mail them one that they can compare to past samples of your handwriting - I know that's an option at my school, at least.
They don't have any on file... so I have to wait to see if they can find it in the office they lost it in, or go to a notary, do it in front of them, have it notarized and mailed back to my school, and then sent in with my certificate of attendance. :roll: :cry:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed May 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote: Ugh that sucks, Sprout!!! Ask if you can mail them one that they can compare to past samples of your handwriting - I know that's an option at my school, at least.
They don't have any on file... so I have to wait to see if they can find it in the office they lost it in, or go to a notary, do it in front of them, have it notarized and mailed back to my school, and then sent in with my certificate of attendance. :roll: :cry:
ugh so much unnecessary stress during bar prep!

also thanks to BOLE for having the worst subject line header today, "automatic credit of bar examination fee for withdrawal" as if they just credited me for withdrawing. almost had a heart attack.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:
Sprout wrote:

also thanks to BOLE for having the worst subject line header today, "automatic credit of bar examination fee for withdrawal" as if they just credited me for withdrawing. almost had a heart attack.
Omg same.

edit... THEY FOUND IT. Thank God. So relieved.

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:
Sprout wrote:

LOL I had the exact same reaction, as did several of my friends. Completely ridiculous and unnecessary to use that ambiguous title.

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Wed May 24, 2017 2:00 pm

maybe more people registered than they had anticipated

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”