July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by OutoftheWoods » Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 pm

flyingboy wrote:When can we expect the seat assignment email to come out?
Early June, according to prior threads. However, looks like only NY residents get the first email. Then non-NY residents get an email a day later.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue May 09, 2017 11:59 am

So earlier in the thread, people have suggested that non-NYC residents get a choice between Albany and Buffalo? I assume that that's contingent on one not filling up?

I want to go ahead and book flights/hotel for Albany, but I'm worried that I'll get stuck with Buffalo?

Also, do most people fly home the night of the 26th, or wait until the next morning?

Edit: Also, is there any reason that Albany is preferable to Buffalo, assuming you have to fly regardless?

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:35 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
OutoftheWoods wrote:Doesn't look like this was mentioned before, but the locations are now up.

2 NYC sites and White Plains. Hopefully this means it will be easier for out-of-staters to get the NYC area locations thi syear!

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

Fyi- white plains is usually hand write only so if you're a laptop candidate that may not appear as a choice

This is untrue. White Plains is the BEST place to take the exam. Small rooms, comfortable chairs, etc. You might not see it as an option because Pace Law School students (typing or not) have priority over everyone else since it is on the Pace Law School campus.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:46 pm

LMMadison wrote:What are you thinking re MEE topics? My guess would be:

1. CivPro (on 10 of last 12, and not included in F17. It's due)
2. Crim/Crim Pro/Evidence (one has been on 10 of last 12, and not included in F17)
3. ConLaw (hasn't been omitted for three straight exams since UBE started in F11 and J17 would make 3)
4. Agency/Partnership (this or Corps is on each year, and this would be three in a row for Corps)
5. Trusts (less confident here, though unusual for both this and Wills to have been omitted in J16. Having neither in J17, which would be 2 out of last 3, would be a historical oddity.)
6. Secured Trans (just a hunch)

Would be shocked to see Corporations, Contacts, Family Law, Choice of Law considering recent exams.
Feb taker here. Don't spend to much time trying to figure out what essays you will have. I did it and so did a lot of people, and we were all completely off. You might able to guess one or two. For example. I knew that there was a very low chance of seeing secured transactions because it has never been on the exam three times in a row. I know barbri predicts the MEEs for you, but without directly telling you. The MEE topics you learn/ review closer to the exam are the MEE topics that barbri thinks will be on your exam. I remember reviewing corps/agency/trust the weekend before the exam (following Barbri's schedule) and all three essays showed up. Just follow your Bar Prep schedule, try to do 100 percent, and don't focus on any one topic more or less because you (or other people) think it will or will not show up. I still studied secured transactions 100 percent. Just follow the schedule ...it works.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Feb taker. I got the seat assignment/ticket on 2/8/2017 for the FEB 2017 (2/21-22).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Early (first week) of June.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:So earlier in the thread, people have suggested that non-NYC residents get a choice between Albany and Buffalo? I assume that that's contingent on one not filling up?

I want to go ahead and book flights/hotel for Albany, but I'm worried that I'll get stuck with Buffalo?

Also, do most people fly home the night of the 26th, or wait until the next morning?

Edit: Also, is there any reason that Albany is preferable to Buffalo, assuming you have to fly regardless?
If you jump on the email right away, you can definitely get your first choice between Albany or Buffalo. You can at least book your hotel now, and you should be fine with flights too (unless you're busy in early June and think you won't get to the seat selection email for a few days.

dvd0188

New

Post by dvd0188 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:47 pm

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I am selling my brand new Themis MULTISTATE Exam Books on ebay if anyone is interested. I ended up never using these so I wanted to sell them to someone who is looking for a cheaper option than purchasing the entire Themis course. There are six books in total, which cover all three portions of the UBE. I included a link below if y'all are interested. Good luck with bar prep!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112391054038?ss ... 1555.l2649

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue May 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:So earlier in the thread, people have suggested that non-NYC residents get a choice between Albany and Buffalo? I assume that that's contingent on one not filling up?

If you jump on the email right away, you can definitely get your first choice between Albany or Buffalo. You can at least book your hotel now, and you should be fine with flights too (unless you're busy in early June and think you won't get to the seat selection email for a few days.
Awesome, thanks for responding!

I think i'm just going to go ahead and book at least my hotel now. I guess I was just worried that everyone would be waiting on the seat location email and would be pouncing all at once, even an hour or so after it gets sent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on booking a hotel the night of the 26th vs. trying to get a flight out that night?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Tue May 09, 2017 4:55 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on booking a hotel the night of the 26th vs. trying to get a flight out that night?
I'm also wondering about this. My firm is only paying for two nights. Not sure if I want to deal with having to pack and get my bags to concierge in the morning before day 2 of the Bar.

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Tue May 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
I'm also wondering about this. My firm is only paying for two nights. Not sure if I want to deal with having to pack and get my bags to concierge in the morning before day 2 of the Bar.
Staying that extra night, otherwise you need to be worrying about checking out before the exam. Plus suspect will be shattered after the second day so will just want to come back and sleep / hide head in pillow and cry etc etc.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 am

Harvard_Naw wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
In Buffalo the hotel held our bags and knew that we were all in a hurry to get to the testing exam that morning so quick checkout, quick bag check. We all walked back to the hotel after the exam day 2, got our bags and shared cabs to the airport. Tip: MAKE SURE THEY TURN THE METER ON FOR YOU! They tried to screw us by charging us $35/each in a van full of 4 people.. STFU... I could have taken a cab by myself for that much. That's why your meter wasn't running. I was the only American in the cab (2 Chinese girls and 1 guy from Sweden) I was like "Oh HELL NAH..!! We'll give you $10 each and go."

gladiator0flaw11

Bronze

Post by gladiator0flaw11 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 pm

So the two sites are the Armory and Chelsea Piers? Is this the first time they split it up? I'd definitely prefer Albany over the Armory that place was the worst!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoosiernole

New

Post by hoosiernole » Wed May 10, 2017 10:57 pm

I am about halfway through the NYLC, and I was thinking about taking the June 15th NYLE. But I noticed that June 15th is a Thursday and that Barbri has a contracts lecture that day.

Is anyone else taking June NYLE? How are you planning on making it up?

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 pm

hoosiernole wrote:I am about halfway through the NYLC, and I was thinking about taking the June 15th NYLE. But I noticed that June 15th is a Thursday and that Barbri has a contracts lecture that day.

Is anyone else taking June NYLE? How are you planning on making it up?
The test is only two hours so you should be good to just watch the barbri lecture online in the afternoon/evening

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu May 11, 2017 1:18 am

you guys make me so scared

dehaven

New

Post by dehaven » Thu May 11, 2017 10:24 am

lolabear727 wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
In Buffalo the hotel held our bags and knew that we were all in a hurry to get to the testing exam that morning so quick checkout, quick bag check. We all walked back to the hotel after the exam day 2, got our bags and shared cabs to the airport. Tip: MAKE SURE THEY TURN THE METER ON FOR YOU! They tried to screw us by charging us $35/each in a van full of 4 people.. STFU... I could have taken a cab by myself for that much. That's why your meter wasn't running. I was the only American in the cab (2 Chinese girls and 1 guy from Sweden) I was like "Oh HELL NAH..!! We'll give you $10 each and go."
I strongly encourage you to relax the day the exam is over instead of traveling. It's just easier and more pleasant. You'll probably be more at ease on Wednesday while taking the exam knowing you don't have to travel. I saw kids running from the testing site (they took their luggage with them) at the end of the exam to catch flights. In short, you'll likely just be more relaxed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 am

dehaven wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
I strongly encourage you to relax the day the exam is over instead of traveling. It's just easier and more pleasant. You'll probably be more at ease on Wednesday while taking the exam knowing you don't have to travel. I saw kids running from the testing site (they took their luggage with them) at the end of the exam to catch flights. In short, you'll likely just be more relaxed.

While I agree with that in a sense. I think traveling is stressful regardless, so no sense in unwinding and then traveling again the next day. Plus I was able to book a flight at 8:45pm back to the City and it was plenty of time to get back to my hotel, get to the airport and have a nice drink before my plane. The people running were probably the people that booked a 6:30-7:00pm flights like a buncha idiots.. That's just my two cents.

danielbernard1030

New

Post by danielbernard1030 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:28 am

Sprout wrote:Do I really need to book a hotel at all of the non NYC locations possible and then cancel them once I am assigned somewhere? :?
I ended up booking for Albany using https://app.hiskipper.com/reservations/ ... YRiazZi2ws. Was cheaper/closer to venues than what else I could find online. Just going to cancel if I end up getting assigned elsewhere.

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

Slytherpuff wrote:For NYC people - I don't know which of our two locations will fill up more quickly, but I've been scouting out the food spots while procrastinating on studying for finals.

Pier 94
Pros: Much more accessible from downtown/midtown Manhattan and BK/Queens
Cons: Not as many cheap food options, but you do have some corner stores and a Subway plus some nicer restaurants/bars where you might be able to schedule a 1pm pick-up. Also it probably has the same convention center feel as Javits and could maybe even have pigeons/forklifts too.

Armory Track & Field Center
Pros: So many good food options nearby, including places that look cheaper and faster! I also remember seeing posts from people who took a February test here that they really liked the venue.
Cons: Takes a lot longer to get to from downtown/midtown and the other boroughs
I would be very skeptical about going out for food during lunch break at Armory. I heard someone got mugged during the Feb exam! I'll probably play it safe and just pre-order lunch if those guys are offering that again this year.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 am

bcohen226 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:For NYC people - I don't know which of our two locations will fill up more quickly, but I've been scouting out the food spots while procrastinating on studying for finals.

Pier 94
Cons: Not as many cheap food options, but you do have some corner stores and a Subway plus some nicer restaurants/bars where you might be able to schedule a 1pm pick-up. Also it probably has the same convention center feel as Javits and could maybe even have pigeons/forklifts too.

Pros: So many good food options nearby, including places that look cheaper and faster! I also remember seeing posts from people who took a February test here that they really liked the venue.
I would be very skeptical about going out for food during lunch break at Armory. I heard someone got mugged during the Feb exam! I'll probably play it safe and just pre-order lunch if those guys are offering that again this year.
Straight up mugged at 1pm on a Tuesday/Wednesday with tons of other people around as witnesses? I'd be inclined to think that's just a rumor unless you personally know whoever it happened to. I'm probably going out for lunch unless the pre-ordered lunches have really good food this summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Thu May 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
bcohen226 wrote:

Pier 94

Straight up mugged at 1pm on a Tuesday/Wednesday with tons of other people around as witnesses? I'd be inclined to think that's just a rumor unless you personally know whoever it happened to. I'm probably going out for lunch unless the pre-ordered lunches have really good food this summer.
I don't know the person myself but heard enough specifics to know it wasn't just a rumor. Frankly, I'm more focused on simple/easy/quick food than having super high standards for it. So that's why as long as the options look half decent I'd rather just derisk the situation and pre-order.

just_me

New

Post by just_me » Thu May 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Well, I guess I’m just one more person who went through this in 2016, and is dying to bestow my wisdom on you all, whether you want it or not ;p

I sat the exam in Buffalo. I had no complaints about the test center in terms of noise/ temperature etc, and as a city, I thought Buffalo was totally fine. My hotel, while definitely not the most amazing place I’ve ever stayed, was relatively inexpensive and did the job. They offered an express breakfast on the mornings of the exam, and basically arranged for a ton of cabs to come to the hotel, so you could just jump in one (and share the fare with other test takers). There were lots of genuinely nice places to eat nearby, which was good for the day before the exam and after day 1. Having since been to Albany to be sworn in, I felt the food options were probably superior in Buffalo! Also, it’s close to Niagara Falls, which is a fun thing to see after day 2 if you have time before you go home - my thinking was that if I was going to have to travel to sit the bar exam, why not have it be to some place where there’s actually a major attraction to be seen?!

Yes, the lunch is overpriced. No, it’s definitely not the most fantastic meal you’ll ever have in your life. But it’s quick, it’s not absolutely horrible, and it fills you up - for me, that was pretty much all I wanted. By the time everyone got lunch and got out of the building, there seemed to be a really short period (like, about 15 minutes or so) before we all had to start lining up to get back in the building again (everyone has to go through security etc again, so I guess there are so many people that they have to start this process way before the end of lunch to make sure everyone gets in on time). Trying to go find somewhere else to eat in that time, potentially lining up etc and then getting back to the test centre all just seems like unnecessary stress to me. Let’s face it, these are not going to be two of the most amazing days of your life, and I’m not sure how much even the most delicious and well-priced lunch could improve things.

As regards travelling home, I agree that you definitely don’t want to make travel plans that mean you have to bring a suitcase to the test centre etc - again, just something you don’t need to be focussing on. Arrange to travel home either way later in the evening (like 9pm) or the next day. Believe it or not, there was actually a guy behind me during the exam who told me he was aiming to finish the afternoon session 30 minutes early so that he’d be on time for his flight. (I tried not to outwardly demonstrate how completely crazy I thought this was, but may not have succeeded).

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:57 pm

cho8583 wrote:Hey guys,

I thought it would be nice to find some studymates for july bar prep. I did take DC bar in feb, but I'm pretty sure I didnt pass this time so I'm planning to study for july. Also, DC is famous for their super late result, even after the July bar deadline, and I thought it would be safer for me to prep ahead too. Since I'm currently working in NYC, and NY is also UBE, I thought it wont be an issue for me to study with NY bar peeps here :)

If you're in NYC area and interested in study together, PM me.
Hey, I was just notified that I need to retake the bar, so I'm bumping my post again. If you're around in NYC area and looking for a study group/buddy, PM me :)

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Sun May 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Checking in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”