July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Bass wrote:I was looking at the past essay questions and above average answers published by BOLE...

Just to be clear, because NY is now UBE, we don't have to say "The period for adverse possession in NY is ten years", or "under the NY Domestic Relations Law"...right?
Not a good time to troll like this and mess with people's heads. No, of course you don't talk about NY-specific stuff on the UBE - that's what the NYLE is for and no one is studying New York law for next week's exam. Just ignore any NY-specific essays on the BOLE website.

Edit: Okay I saw you didn't go to school in the U.S. so you probably aren't trolling. The whole point of the UBE is just to test standard American law and not get into any state-specific information. The switch to the UBE was very recent so if you see any NY-related essay answers still available online, you should just ignore them. Focus on what you've been studying this summer, no one needs to know New York law for this test.

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 pm

What are people doing to relax on Monday? I need to feel enabled to chill (guilt free) by my fellow test takers :D.

ojala

New

Post by ojala » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

I am in the unfortunate position of having to handwrite the exam. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do they just give us a stack of blue books? Also, may seem like overkill but any recommendations for a pen that writes neatly/doesn't smudge/less likely to cause hand cramp?

r.a.t.keurig.machine

New

Post by r.a.t.keurig.machine » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 pm

ojala wrote:I am in the unfortunate position of having to handwrite the exam. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do they just give us a stack of blue books? Also, may seem like overkill but any recommendations for a pen that writes neatly/doesn't smudge/less likely to cause hand cramp?
I'm a laptop examinee this time, but when I took a previous bar in a different jurisdiction everyone was required to handwrite the Procedure & Evidence section. I tested a few pens and chose to go with Pentel RSVP pens. They have a very comfy grip and write smoothly. What ever you do, bring extra pens for back ups just in case something happens.

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:52 pm

MrWhitman wrote:What are people doing to relax on Monday? I need to feel enabled to chill (guilt free) by my fellow test takers :D.
I'm thinking about going to a matinee of Dunkirk

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unfinishedsymphony

New

Post by unfinishedsymphony » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:21 pm

For the MPT/MEE day (laptop taker), are we given scratch paper to jot things down on?

AdInfinitum

New

Post by AdInfinitum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Anyone know what the air conditioning situation is like at Armory Track? Trying to decide if I should bring a hoodie, and I've heard Javits can be super cold but haven't heard about Armory.

Also, can we bring a pencil sharpener into the exam? Not listed as a permissible item on the list, but it feels like it'd be weird to not be allowed to bring one.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:01 pm

how do we go about messing around with the mock exam? i submitted it when we were supposed to back in early june and now the only exam file listed is the one for next week

we didnt use examsoft for law school so i'd like to mess around it with and get a better feel for the interface and hot keys

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:19 pm

If I score about 80-85% raw on the NCBE practice MBE exams, how shitty can my essays be and still be passing? There are a few MEE subjects I know NOTHING about so I'm worried...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:23 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:how do we go about messing around with the mock exam? i submitted it when we were supposed to back in early june and now the only exam file listed is the one for next week

we didnt use examsoft for law school so i'd like to mess around it with and get a better feel for the interface and hot keys
Sign back in to "download exam" and then it should re-populate as either a mock available for download or it will auto-download the mock.

Hope this works. It did for me.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Anyone know what the air conditioning situation is like at Armory Track? Trying to decide if I should bring a hoodie, and I've heard Javits can be super cold but haven't heard about Armory.

Also, can we bring a pencil sharpener into the exam? Not listed as a permissible item on the list, but it feels like it'd be weird to not be allowed to bring one.
I'm not sure about the AC, but my game plan for clothing is to have a sweatshirt/jeans for the morning but have shorts in the personal belonging room in case the AC doesn't work (so I can change for the afternoon). Worst case scenario you just dump the hoodie under your chair if it's too hot.

Yeah the pencil sharpener thing is tricky - it's not listed as permissible but I don't think they'd turn it away! I'm going to risk BOLE wrath and bring a pencil sharpener for Wednesday. I can go back out and stick it in my purse if they won't let me bring it through security. (Also planning on bringing a few tissues and my chapstick in, which aren't on the permitted item list either. #Rebel?)

GGMcSwift

New

Post by GGMcSwift » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Chapstick is ok fwiw

Tissues are NOT!

Seems utterly ridic, like what if you legit need to blow your nose? I'm gonna sneak some in for sure I'm guessing that won't be an issue. But if I try to use one and get caught, who knows?

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Question about answering MEE's … does anyone know if you lose points for making arguments for causes of action that, while holding some (but very little) merit, are all but certain to be losing ones and are arguably frivolous? I've seen a couple Barbri essay answers where they argue for a certain claim, but end up saying it'd fail. For example, Torts Writing Program Essay 8, I didn't even think to include false light invasion or intentional interference with business relations, but Barbri included them and ended up saying they're losers anyway. I obviously want to get most points as possible, but don't want to get penalized for making frivolous arguments. TIA

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 pm

FormerChild wrote:Question about answering MEE's … does anyone know if you lose points for making arguments for causes of action that, while holding some (but very little) merit, are all but certain to be losing ones and are arguably frivolous? I've seen a couple Barbri essay answers where they argue for a certain claim, but end up saying it'd fail. For example, Torts Writing Program Essay 8, I didn't even think to include false light invasion or intentional interference with business relations, but Barbri included them and ended up saying they're losers anyway. I obviously want to get most points as possible, but don't want to get penalized for making frivolous arguments. TIA
From what I understand you're not going to lose points for making frivolous args, but you'll be wasting time. Same boat, I always add way more than they appear to be asking for- but I'm certain you don't get penalized for it. I also genuinely feel Barbri's answer are lacking sometimes? Too little too late to worry about this. >.<

tortellini

New

Post by tortellini » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 pm

FormerChild wrote:Question about answering MEE's … does anyone know if you lose points for making arguments for causes of action that, while holding some (but very little) merit, are all but certain to be losing ones and are arguably frivolous? I've seen a couple Barbri essay answers where they argue for a certain claim, but end up saying it'd fail. For example, Torts Writing Program Essay 8, I didn't even think to include false light invasion or intentional interference with business relations, but Barbri included them and ended up saying they're losers anyway. I obviously want to get most points as possible, but don't want to get penalized for making frivolous arguments. TIA
I literally just did that same essay and had the same issue. Torts Writing Program Essay 8 looks like it's not a actual MEE essay, so I'm thinking that Barbri's just using this model answer to clear up some of the minutiae we might have missed but probably shouldn't be writing on the exam. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

dhersz

New

Post by dhersz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Hey all!

For buffalo people - it says we have to arrive at the exam site by 8am. Does that mean we have to get there even earlier to put stuff in the personal belongings room? What time should I be aiming to arrive at the convention center?

droit

New

Post by droit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:59 pm

How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

droit wrote:How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.
i read somewhere it said 1 gallon. i then have a subbag for snacks unwrapped

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Anybody know what the parking situation is at Albany? My hotel is like 4 miles from the test center. It looks like there is a parking garage by the test center but I'm worried that it will fill up.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:19 pm

jingosaur wrote:Anybody know what the parking situation is at Albany? My hotel is like 4 miles from the test center. It looks like there is a parking garage by the test center but I'm worried that it will fill up.

You'll need to use the garage, the test center is downtown so there's only minimal street parking

droit

New

Post by droit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 pm

lakers180 wrote:
droit wrote:How big is everyone's plastic bag? There's no size mentioned on the website.
Do you remember where by any chance? Because it's not listed on http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 pm

droit wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
Do you remember where by any chance? Because it's not listed on http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

July 17 email titled Exam Day Reminders, the fourth point listed.

droit

New

Post by droit » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:53 pm

lakers180 wrote:
July 17 email titled Exam Day Reminders, the fourth point listed.
Awesome! Thank you! I thought I read it somewhere, but couldn't find it on the page and figured maybe I had it in my head from the MPRE.

Samarcan

New

Post by Samarcan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:55 am

Does anyone (maybe someone who's taken the bar there before) know if at the Albany Empire Plaza center you can get into your personal bag in the bag room during the mid-way break? I am thinking of leaving an energy drink in my bag and going to get it at the break for lunch. You can access that personal room during the break right?

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but we can bring our phones and leave them in the personal bag room right? I'm assuming the room is before the security checkpoint at all locations?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”