July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PanickingBarTaker

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by PanickingBarTaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:21 pm

theselearnedhands wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
theselearnedhands wrote:Anyone else having problems with time management on the practice/graded essays? I'm 0/3 in staying within the 30mins. Feeling like trash :cry:
I've only done two graded essays, and I tend to be pretty quick on these type of things but ended up running up to the 30 minutes on the civ pro one. That topic is the one I know relatively well, and so I had a lot to say. By contrast, I suck at torts, and even with open notes 30 minute was more than enough time. The fact that you have enough information to bump up against the 30 minutes for three different topics might not be a bad thing at this point! With practice you can probably cut the time spent down by virtue of getting used to the formulaic way they want us to write it.
Just confirmed my seat location! In state, so out of staters will probably get an email tomorrow.

Actually everyone (both in and out-of-staters) got the email yesterday (Monday) and deadline was today at 2 pm, if you haven't picked your location you will be assigned a random location at the BOLE discretion and probably be notified by tomorrow or later in the week.

PanickingBarTaker

New

Post by PanickingBarTaker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Tati718 wrote:Out of stater. Just received email to choose location at 2:37. Available choices were Albany, Buffalo, and Saratoga Springs; nothing in the City
Out-of-staters are not assigned in the city, only if after all in-staters have received their locations can out-of-staters choose an NYC location if there are any availabilities left.

Personally, I wouldn't do NYC even as an in-stater, the locations are waaay too big and crowded and everyone is on their nerves (even proctors are nervous and can get a bit crazy sometimes with all the tension in the air.) Plus bathrooms are usually closer and cleaner in the new facilities hosting the bar exam in Buffalo, Albany and Saratoga :D

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:59 pm

ernie wrote:People taking the NYLE this week, how much are you studying?
You don't neeed to study at all.

Tati718

New

Post by Tati718 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:07 pm

PanickingBarTaker wrote:
Tati718 wrote:Out of stater. Just received email to choose location at 2:37. Available choices were Albany, Buffalo, and Saratoga Springs; nothing in the City
Out-of-staters are not assigned in the city, only if after all in-staters have received their locations can out-of-staters choose an NYC location if there are any availabilities left.

Personally, I wouldn't do NYC even as an in-stater, the locations are waaay too big and crowded and everyone is on their nerves (even proctors are nervous and can get a bit crazy sometimes with all the tension in the air.) Plus bathrooms are usually closer and cleaner in the new facilities hosting the bar exam in Buffalo, Albany and Saratoga :D

Yeah, I'm technically an in-stater using my school address in order to avoid the city locations.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm still a little peeved about their system this year. They didn't give the in-state people enough time to change locations before they sent out the out-of-state email, so I bet there would have been a few NYC spots available from local residents who didn't want to take it here if they'd just waited until today's confirmation deadline to send the out-of-state email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Wow! What hotels near the Niagra Falls Convention Center still have rooms that aren't price $300 a night? I'd do AirBnB, but some don't provide the location of the house.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I'm still a little peeved about their system this year. They didn't give the in-state people enough time to change locations before they sent out the out-of-state email, so I bet there would have been a few NYC spots available from local residents who didn't want to take it here if they'd just waited until today's confirmation deadline to send the out-of-state email.
ugh don't tell me this. I don't want to be mad at them.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:03 pm

Hey all - what are your thoughts on Adaptibar? Anyone in this thread using it and finding it helpful? Also any thoughts on getting it at this stage in the game? The price point is high + I'm not sure if it's still worth it at this time (its been available since March!) or if this is about a good time to dive into it now that we have learned a handful of our subjects through Barbri/Kap/Themis.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:31 pm

helpappreciated wrote:Wow! What hotels near the Niagra Falls Convention Center still have rooms that aren't price $300 a night? I'd do AirBnB, but some don't provide the location of the house.
There a few threads up where a guy/girl rented a house for 3 nights and is looking to share space.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:33 pm

okaygo wrote:Hey all - what are your thoughts on Adaptibar? Anyone in this thread using it and finding it helpful? Also any thoughts on getting it at this stage in the game? The price point is high + I'm not sure if it's still worth it at this time (its been available since March!) or if this is about a good time to dive into it now that we have learned a handful of our subjects through Barbri/Kap/Themis.
I would suggest it. I used to when I passed FL and I am using it this time. If you don't think you are going to be able to get through more than 300 questions I wouldn't waste your money. However, I think it is very useful and has helped me a lot in the past.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
okaygo wrote:Hey all - what are your thoughts on Adaptibar? Anyone in this thread using it and finding it helpful? Also any thoughts on getting it at this stage in the game? The price point is high + I'm not sure if it's still worth it at this time (its been available since March!) or if this is about a good time to dive into it now that we have learned a handful of our subjects through Barbri/Kap/Themis.
I would suggest it. I used to when I passed FL and I am using it this time. If you don't think you are going to be able to get through more than 300 questions I wouldn't waste your money. However, I think it is very useful and has helped me a lot in the past.
I'd been debating for weeks then my school gave out full scholarships for it so I got lucky- was v uncomfortable with the thought of spending so much on it :? . I've been using it for a week but I think it's really helpful. Endless MC (1800ish I think). Nothing better than that. Tells you where you are compared to other students- how you're improving, your timing, etc. Worth the investment if MC isn't your strong suit. I've also been doing not so great with Barbri MC, but now substantially better with Adaptibar REAL bar questions? I think there's a clear difference- and I like relying on the real MBE questions more.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks yall. I decided to bite the bullet and pay for it. I poured endless $$$ into LSAT study materials, so I figure why stop at the finish line. :lol:
Did about 30 questions today and definitely appreciate the difference between their Qs and Barbris - scoring 63% so I'm hoping to push that up. Seems like a good supplement to Barbri - esp bc of how many more questions they have.

p3aceandl0v3

New

Post by p3aceandl0v3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 pm

Quick question - anyone have old searchable NYLE pdf? They made the PDF non-searchable and I'm freaking out :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

p3aceandl0v3

New

Post by p3aceandl0v3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:47 pm

p3aceandl0v3 wrote:Quick question - anyone have old searchable NYLE pdf? They made the PDF non-searchable and I'm freaking out :shock:
found it y'all - someone posted the old PDF on this site!

bda

New

Post by bda » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:22 am

Does the NYLE version of exam soft shut down all other programs on your computer? Or can I have the outline pulled up on the same computer?

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:23 am

bda wrote:Does the NYLE version of exam soft shut down all other programs on your computer? Or can I have the outline pulled up on the same computer?
Last administration it didn't lock up your computer so you could have the PDF on your screen at the same time.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:46 am

bda wrote:Does the NYLE version of exam soft shut down all other programs on your computer? Or can I have the outline pulled up on the same computer?
The mock exam for it didn't, so I really am hoping it won't. Esp since if it does, I will fail.

eta gonna take a minute to just pointlessly complain that I super don't want to do this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I stressed over the NYLE for nothing. Didn't require any studying just crtl+F. Separated the outline by section on OneNote to narrow the search inquiry.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:41 pm

helpappreciated wrote:I stressed over the NYLE for nothing. Didn't require any studying just crtl+F. Separated the outline by section on OneNote to narrow the search inquiry.
do you want a cookie?

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Has anyone booked their hotels for the bar exam in NYC or are you waiting to hear back the two weeks before the exam (when we get our seat assignments).
I know there are 3 locations (in reality I think 2..)... but I wonder if its worth it to book a hotel now near the two locations (javits and the armory track)

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Sprout wrote:
helpappreciated wrote:I stressed over the NYLE for nothing. Didn't require any studying just crtl+F. Separated the outline by section on OneNote to narrow the search inquiry.
do you want a cookie?
lol. I would love a cookie for having had to do the exam today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:03 pm

MrWhitman wrote: lol. I would love a cookie for having had to do the exam today.
you can have one, for not being a self-righteous ass

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 pm

Sprout wrote:
MrWhitman wrote: lol. I would love a cookie for having had to do the exam today.
Sprout-- don't let bar review stress get to you. The person who wrote the original message was relieved. The one note idea is pretty useful for future takers too. They didn't mean to sound self righteous. Got to give them a charitable reading.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 pm

MrWhitman wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Sprout-- don't let bar review stress get to you. The person who wrote the original message was relieved. The one note idea is pretty useful for future takers too. They didn't mean to sound self righteous. Got to give them a charitable reading.
Confused by this unnecessary comment too. Read above that you took it today too- hope you did well- no need to put down someone else? We can ALL pass? We're all looking to this forum for support so maybe we can just give that support accordingly or just say nothing anything at all.

Hope everyone passed! I took it in March thinking I 100% failed and didn't so don't stress. Results came out in a week as opposed to the 3 weeks (I think) they listed.

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm

oops double post
Last edited by FedFan123 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”