July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jingosaur

Gold

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by jingosaur » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:47 pm

King Cayuga wrote:Is there any major disadvantage to being at an AirBNB? I got one that's a 5 minute walk from the Empire State Plaza complex for $90/night (taking it in Albany).
There's always the risk of them cancelling on you right before.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:07 pm

King Cayuga wrote:Is there any major disadvantage to being at an AirBNB? I got one that's a 5 minute walk from the Empire State Plaza complex for $90/night (taking it in Albany).
How do you already know you're taking it in Albany?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 pm

I don't even know what the NYC location is going to be (or locations?) but I'm already hoping for Armory Track & Field Center because it looks like there are a lot of lunch options nearby.

Also I think an AirBnB should be fine, KC!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:28 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Guessing from the username, there's probably an Ithaca, NY address on the application, which will default to Albany

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:39 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
My NCBE registered address is in Ithaca, and people with Ithaca addresses always get Albany. Most of my friends made hotel reservations a few months ago; I was just lazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I don't even know what the NYC location is going to be (or locations?) but I'm already hoping for Armory Track & Field Center because it looks like there are a lot of lunch options nearby.

Also I think an AirBnB should be fine, KC!
Thanks! My friend who's taking it in NYC said he thinks it's the Armory.

judyhopps

New

Post by judyhopps » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:19 am

Hello everyone here! I'm new to this page, I still can't believe this is happening in a few months :? :roll:

I signed up in early April for the bar, but haven't heard anything from the board examiners. Does anyone know when we will be notified of the exam locations? Do we get to choose? Thanks in advance!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:13 am

judyhopps wrote:Hello everyone here! I'm new to this page, I still can't believe this is happening in a few months :? :roll:

I signed up in early April for the bar, but haven't heard anything from the board examiners. Does anyone know when we will be notified of the exam locations? Do we get to choose? Thanks in advance!
It'll be in early June. If you're out-of-state, you'll probably be in Albany or Buffalo but can choose between those. I'm hoping they'll post the updated location list sometime next month though since the NYC option is changing!

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:52 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Out-of-stater here. I registered in NY and I just got an email from the NY BOLE people suggesting that I take the UBE in my state and then transfer in the score. Does anyone know of any disadvantages to doing this? I will be taking a NY prep class that is being taught in NJ.
You have to pay a $25 fee to transfer the score and then the additional $250 fee for NY bar admission on top of your state's normal exam cost, and your law firm (if you're going to a firm) might be a little iffy about you taking a different bar exam, but otherwise I can't see any issues. I'd still do the NY bar if I were you though!

Edit: Oh and my source is the bottom of this BOLE page.

You can take the UBE anywhere with no issues. That's the point of the exam. It's the same EXACT exam in every UBE state, which is created by the NCBE. I don't know what you mean that your taking a NY course in NJ since it now should be no difference between any UBE states. Law firms only care if you are admitted , not how you got admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unfinishedsymphony

New

Post by unfinishedsymphony » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:03 pm

So, if I registered with a Manhattan address, am I assigned to the Manhattan test location automatically? Or do I still need to scramble for a spot when they send an email?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 pm

unfinishedsymphony wrote:So, if I registered with a Manhattan address, am I assigned to the Manhattan test location automatically? Or do I still need to scramble for a spot when they send an email?
You should be guaranteed a Manhattan testing location

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

In your confirmation pages for your application, under "How qualified" does it say "xxxxx"? I just noticed this. I'm worried because in my mind it should say something like "Graduating from ABA approved law school."

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Toubro wrote:In your confirmation pages for your application, under "How qualified" does it say "xxxxx"? I just noticed this. I'm worried because in my mind it should say something like "Graduating from ABA approved law school."
Mine says the same: "xxxx"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:12 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Toubro wrote:In your confirmation pages for your application, under "How qualified" does it say "xxxxx"? I just noticed this. I'm worried because in my mind it should say something like "Graduating from ABA approved law school."
Ugh

Guess we didn't qualify to take the exam

danielbernard1030

New

Post by danielbernard1030 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Anyone expecting to take the bar in Albany book hotel rooms yet? Any recommendations on that?

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm

danielbernard1030 wrote:Anyone expecting to take the bar in Albany book hotel rooms yet? Any recommendations on that?
I booked a while ago but a buddy of mine just sent me this that has good availability - http://bit.ly/2pdz8OP. It's cheaper than the rate I got so I might actually rebook.

unfinishedsymphony

New

Post by unfinishedsymphony » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Toubro wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Ugh

Mine also says xxx when it should say ABA approved law school. Part of my SSN also has the xxx so I think it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

unfinishedsymphony wrote:
Toubro wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Ugh

Mine also says xxx when it should say ABA approved law school. Part of my SSN also has the xxx so I think it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong.
Not to quibble too much because obviously I think we're fine haha, but the reason I was okay with my SSN's being redacted was because that's justified based on security concerns. Meanwhile the reason I qualify to take the bar exam isn't really a secret

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:45 am

yo

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm

malleus discentium wrote:yo
Welcome!

danielbernard1030

New

Post by danielbernard1030 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

bcohen226 wrote:
danielbernard1030 wrote:Anyone expecting to take the bar in Albany book hotel rooms yet? Any recommendations on that?
I booked a while ago but a buddy of mine just sent me this that has good availability - http://bit.ly/2pdz8OP. It's cheaper than the rate I got so I might actually rebook.
Thanks for this btw. I booked through it, seems pretty legit. Hotels they locked up are within a few blocks from both Albany test sites so I think i'm covered.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Hello – Checking in, hoping this thread will help keep me sane as I will be studying at home and away from any other law students/friends I can commiserate with.

I will be doing Barbri (and probably adaptibar). Is anyone else planning starting a couple weeks earlier than the Barbri schedule (just a couple hours a day in those weeks, nothing to strenuous) to counterbalance some interruptions in the provided schedule? If so, does anyone know exactly how that works? Will the lectures become available early May so those who want to start early can?

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:14 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:Hello – Checking in, hoping this thread will help keep me sane as I will be studying at home and away from any other law students/friends I can commiserate with.

I will be doing Barbri (and probably adaptibar). Is anyone else planning starting a couple weeks earlier than the Barbri schedule (just a couple hours a day in those weeks, nothing to strenuous) to counterbalance some interruptions in the provided schedule? If so, does anyone know exactly how that works? Will the lectures become available early May so those who want to start early can?
Barbri will put up all lectures on May 1! The only difference between watching it live (/streamed) and watching the recordings is the outfit that the instructor has on.

scoomer

New

Post by scoomer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 pm

If anyone wants to buy BARBRI UBE 2017 (NY) materials- I am selling. Took the bar in February, 2017. DM me!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 am

danielbernard1030 wrote:
bcohen226 wrote:
Thanks for this btw. I booked through it, seems pretty legit. Hotels they locked up are within a few blocks from both Albany test sites so I think i'm covered.
Link didn't work for me? I know I'll be in Albany... want to get on this. :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”