July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Also, you don't have to get your pro bono affidavit in until you actually apply for bar admission (which is different from applying this month to sit for the exam). You might want to get the hours certified earlier just to be safe, but you probably don't have to worry about it until August.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Also, you don't have to get your pro bono affidavit in until you actually apply for bar admission (which is different from applying this month to sit for the exam). You might want to get the hours certified earlier just to be safe, but you probably don't have to worry about it until August.
Do you like baked goods? I need to send you treats esp if you continue to be so helpful. Thanks again. Hopefully we can meet in new york once my head stops spinning. :lol:

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Also, you don't have to get your pro bono affidavit in until you actually apply for bar admission (which is different from applying this month to sit for the exam). You might want to get the hours certified earlier just to be safe, but you probably don't have to worry about it until August.
Do you like baked goods? I need to send you treats esp if you continue to be so helpful. Thanks again. Hopefully we can meet in new york once my head stops spinning. :lol:
Oh man, don't tempt me, I still need to cut a little before Barristers' Ball next month! Just doing my job as OP. We'll have to meet up in New York once we start working!

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: affidavits for admission (pro bono, moral character, and legal employment)...I thought I had read somewhere (but can't find it now) that there was a time limit on some of the affidavits, as in a signed affidavit is only good for 60 days or something so you can't complete them too far in advance. Is that a real thing or am I totally imagining that?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Banshee wrote:Re: affidavits for admission (pro bono, moral character, and legal employment)...I thought I had read somewhere (but can't find it now) that there was a time limit on some of the affidavits, as in a signed affidavit is only good for 60 days or something so you can't complete them too far in advance. Is that a real thing or am I totally imagining that?

Yes i think the 60 day rule applies to affidavits. I've heard this as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:35 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Banshee wrote:Re: affidavits for admission (pro bono, moral character, and legal employment)...I thought I had read somewhere (but can't find it now) that there was a time limit on some of the affidavits, as in a signed affidavit is only good for 60 days or something so you can't complete them too far in advance. Is that a real thing or am I totally imagining that?

Yes i think the 60 day rule applies to affidavits. I've heard this as well.

I don't think it applies to the third department. I do remember this tho. But I also read somewhere here that once it is submitted and it turned out you didn't pass the bar, the affidavits are still valid for the next bar. I don't think it forces you to do the whole thing again.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't think that applies to pro bono since they explicitly recommend that you complete the affidavit right after you finish your pro bono hours. It looks like the Second Department has the 60-day requirement for its moral character and employment affidavits, but not pro bono. I didn't see any kind of 60-day requirement for the First Department.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I don't think that applies to pro bono since they explicitly recommend that you complete the affidavit right after you finish your pro bono hours. It looks like the Second Department has the 60-day requirement for its moral character and employment affidavits, but not pro bono. I didn't see any kind of 60-day requirement for the First Department.
Thank you! Wait though, so for sending out the affidavits to previous employers part, obv they need to be notarized. Does the employer do that themselves and send it back to us to submit or are we responsible for gathering the affidavits then notarizing and sending in altogether as one?

Also feel free to ignore me. Haven't even gotten MPRE scores back or taken the NYLC. I need to chill. Apologies and tiya.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:03 pm

Sprout wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:I don't think that applies to pro bono since they explicitly recommend that you complete the affidavit right after you finish your pro bono hours. It looks like the Second Department has the 60-day requirement for its moral character and employment affidavits, but not pro bono. I didn't see any kind of 60-day requirement for the First Department.
Thank you! Wait though, so for sending out the affidavits to previous employers part, obv they need to be notarized. Does the employer do that themselves and send it back to us to submit or are we responsible for gathering the affidavits then notarizing and sending in altogether as one?

Also feel free to ignore me. Haven't even gotten MPRE scores back or taken the NYLC. I need to chill. Apologies and tiya.

I wouldn't worry about the details of the application for admission until after the bar exam, i haven't even looked at the packet and I'm done with the mpre, nyle, and the bar lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Sprout wrote:

I'm p sure you get each affidavit signed by the respective supervisor. Then take all your affidavits to your school notary and sign them / get them notarized vis a vis your signature. Then send all of them in.

At least I hope that's the case, bc that's how I've been operating thus far...

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Sprout wrote:

I'm p sure you get each affidavit signed by the respective supervisor. Then take all your affidavits to your school notary and sign them / get them notarized vis a vis your signature. Then send all of them in.

Maybe this is just poor drafting, but a reading of the plain language of the form affidavit tells me you can't do this.

"The applicant must provide the information requested on page one of the form, and then have the form notarized. After the form is notarized, the attorney who supervised the applicant’s pro bono work must then complete the Supervisor Certification."

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:16 am

Toubro wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
Sprout wrote:

Maybe this is just poor drafting, but a reading of the plain language of the form affidavit tells me you can't do this.

"The applicant must provide the information requested on page one of the form, and then have the form notarized. After the form is notarized, the attorney who supervised the applicant’s pro bono work must then complete the Supervisor Certification."
sublime wrote:
Is this true you think? I know you took the NY bar before. I dk, maybe it's different.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:14 am

Hold on, I think we're talking about different things.

For the pro bono affidavit, I think you have to sign / notarize it and then send it to your supervisor. There is no expiry on that signature. That's the language Slytherpuff linked to earlier .

For the law-related employment affidavit, you don't have to sign it yourself. The supervisor (aka the affiant) needs to sign / notarize it (no more than 60 days before the application). Likewise for the moral character affidavit. You can't notarize it after that fact, because the whole point is that the notary is saying "this person signed in front of me."

To make things more interesting though, this 60-day rule isn't mentioned in the Third Department's "helpful hints" flier.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:20 pm

After watching and correctly answering the question at the end of one segment of a video, can you log off and log in at a later time and continue the second half of the video? Or do you have to finish the entire video in one sitting?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:36 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:After watching and correctly answering the question at the end of one segment of a video, can you log off and log in at a later time and continue the second half of the video? Or do you have to finish the entire video in one sitting?
It's been forever since I watched the videos, but I THINK you have to finish the whole video in one sitting and it doesn't save your mid-video progress.

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:08 pm

Videos do save your place if you hit log out or return to home, but will not save your place if you just exit out of the webpage/tab/browser.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:28 pm

3 vids down, 15 to go. Why can't the MPRE be this easy?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Ugh. I really want to get the new Macbook Pro with Touchbar but BOLE prohibits it. Do they really think I'm going to program outlines into that little thing? Also tbh I wouldn't have gone to law school if I had the wherewithal to pull something like that.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 am

Sometimes after an NYLC video ends it restarts over again without having asked any questions, so I have to watch the entire video again. Anyone else have/had this issue?

AdInfinitum

New

Post by AdInfinitum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Sometimes after an NYLC video ends it restarts over again without having asked any questions, so I have to watch the entire video again. Anyone else have/had this issue?
I was having a similar issue. For me it was happening when I opened the NYLC Course Materials PDF from their website after I had already started the video.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:58 am

AdInfinitum wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Sometimes after an NYLC video ends it restarts over again without having asked any questions, so I have to watch the entire video again. Anyone else have/had this issue?
I was having a similar issue. For me it was happening when I opened the NYLC Course Materials PDF from their website after I had already started the video.
Ugh that sucks! Maybe try a different browser?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sheeit

New

Post by Sheeit » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:17 pm

July 2016 NY Themis-taker checking in for support. I'll answer any questions I can. You guys got this shit.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Out-of-stater here. I registered in NY and I just got an email from the NY BOLE people suggesting that I take the UBE in my state and then transfer in the score. Does anyone know of any disadvantages to doing this? I will be taking a NY prep class that is being taught in NJ.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:52 pm

jingosaur wrote:Out-of-stater here. I registered in NY and I just got an email from the NY BOLE people suggesting that I take the UBE in my state and then transfer in the score. Does anyone know of any disadvantages to doing this? I will be taking a NY prep class that is being taught in NJ.
You have to pay a $25 fee to transfer the score and then the additional $250 fee for NY bar admission on top of your state's normal exam cost, and your law firm (if you're going to a firm) might be a little iffy about you taking a different bar exam, but otherwise I can't see any issues. I'd still do the NY bar if I were you though!

Edit: Oh and my source is the bottom of this BOLE page.

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Is there any major disadvantage to being at an AirBNB? I got one that's a 5 minute walk from the Empire State Plaza complex for $90/night (taking it in Albany).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”