July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:15 am

Toubro wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:Hello – Checking in, hoping this thread will help keep me sane as I will be studying at home and away from any other law students/friends I can commiserate with.

I will be doing Barbri (and probably adaptibar). Is anyone else planning starting a couple weeks earlier than the Barbri schedule (just a couple hours a day in those weeks, nothing to strenuous) to counterbalance some interruptions in the provided schedule? If so, does anyone know exactly how that works? Will the lectures become available early May so those who want to start early can?
Barbri will put up all lectures on May 1! The only difference between watching it live (/streamed) and watching the recordings is the outfit that the instructor has on.
Oh good, thanks!

For those out-of-staters who are going to be in Albany/Buffalo without a car –– I would book ASAP. Hotels in walking distances are already ridiculously expensive and running of rooms that aren't of the "extra deluxe king sized luxury suites with turbo jet jacuzzi" variety.

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 am

Sprout wrote:
danielbernard1030 wrote:
bcohen226 wrote:
danielbernard1030 wrote:Anyone expecting to take the bar in Albany book hotel rooms yet? Any recommendations on that?
I booked a while ago but a buddy of mine just sent me this that has good availability - http://bit.ly/2pdz8OP. It's cheaper than the rate I got so I might actually rebook.
Thanks for this btw. I booked through it, seems pretty legit. Hotels they locked up are within a few blocks from both Albany test sites so I think i'm covered.
Link didn't work for me? I know I'll be in Albany... want to get on this. :?
You been off the grid?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:21 am

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:
Sprout wrote:
danielbernard1030 wrote:
bcohen226 wrote:
danielbernard1030 wrote:Anyone expecting to take the bar in Albany book hotel rooms yet? Any recommendations on that?
I booked a while ago but a buddy of mine just sent me this that has good availability - http://bit.ly/2pdz8OP. It's cheaper than the rate I got so I might actually rebook.
Thanks for this btw. I booked through it, seems pretty legit. Hotels they locked up are within a few blocks from both Albany test sites so I think i'm covered.
You been off the grid?
Yeah somewhat. Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Self banned recently bc I needed to get shit done and running out of fucks to give.

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:48 am

for those that filled out the application, are you supposed to get any forms or confirmation in response? i thought they were supposed to send a handwriting form or something but haven't gotten any mail or email. i got an email right after called a completed application confirmation but nothing else. i paid the 250 dollar fee and completed the number 3 "Uniform Bar Examination" registration on nybarexam.org, is that all I have to do at this point?

danielbernard1030

New

Post by danielbernard1030 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Sprout wrote:
Blackhawks_Fan wrote:
Sprout wrote:
danielbernard1030 wrote:
bcohen226 wrote:
You been off the grid?
Yeah somewhat. Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Self banned recently bc I needed to get shit done and running out of fucks to give.
This link worked for me - https://app.hiskipper.com/reservations/ ... YRiazZi2ws. Looks like Skipper is like a room block company mostly used for weddings but they set it up for the bar this year too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:22 pm

You been off the grid?[/quote]
Yeah somewhat. Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Self banned recently bc I needed to get shit done and running out of fucks to give.[/quote]

No, it wasn't that. Just hoping you were okay.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

lakers180 wrote:for those that filled out the application, are you supposed to get any forms or confirmation in response? i thought they were supposed to send a handwriting form or something but haven't gotten any mail or email. i got an email right after called a completed application confirmation but nothing else. i paid the 250 dollar fee and completed the number 3 "Uniform Bar Examination" registration on nybarexam.org, is that all I have to do at this point?
You're good for now, we don't get the handwriting form until later!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
lakers180 wrote:for those that filled out the application, are you supposed to get any forms or confirmation in response? i thought they were supposed to send a handwriting form or something but haven't gotten any mail or email. i got an email right after called a completed application confirmation but nothing else. i paid the 250 dollar fee and completed the number 3 "Uniform Bar Examination" registration on nybarexam.org, is that all I have to do at this point?
You're good for now, we don't get the handwriting form until later!
Interesting. Our registrar made us fill out the handwriting form this week.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:16 pm

So there's a sample version of the handwriting sample online, but my school specifically requested that we wait to receive our handwriting sample via email from BOLE (apparently it'll have an individualized barcode on it). We should be getting an email with it sometime after the April 30 deadline. Unless your school asked you to fill out the generic version of the handwriting form earlier, I would just wait until you get it in an email from BOLE.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:So there's a sample version of the handwriting sample online, but my school specifically requested that we wait to receive our handwriting sample via email from BOLE (apparently it'll have an individualized barcode on it). We should be getting an email with it sometime after the April 30 deadline. Unless your school asked you to fill out the generic version of the handwriting form earlier, I would just wait until you get it in an email from BOLE.

If i recall correctly the HW sample has your BOLE ID printed on it so yes wait for it and make sure you add BOLE's email to your contact list- my first few emails went to spam

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:21 am

Oh ok. Yeah when my school made me do it they used a generic form and we had to hand write the BOLE IDs on the top right.

RavenAgain

New

Post by RavenAgain » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:38 am

Does anyone know how to apply to sit the NY bar based solely on having passed the bar in CA (as the NY bar does not recognise my legal education)? Is it possible to sit the July 2017 NY Bar if you are dependent on the CA Bar results which will only be released 12 May 2017 (as the normal NY bar application deadline is 30 April 217)?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Okay I super lagged on doing my application online (because I was working on my application for accommodations which was of course denied) but I finally did it. I'm confused though. I completed it, but did not have to upload a transcript and haven't received any follow up emails or anything. What am I missing? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Joy

New

Post by Joy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Sprout wrote:Okay I super lagged on doing my application online (because I was working on my application for accommodations which was of course denied) but I finally did it. I'm confused though. I completed it, but did not have to upload a transcript and haven't received any follow up emails or anything. What am I missing? :?
Same here for the application, I didn't have to upload transcript either, maybe because I'm a foreign trained lawyer or so. For the accommodation, can anyone recommend a reasonable place in Albany? I'll be travelling from London and given the jet-lag and all, I plan to be in Albany perhaps at least a few days ahead. In terms of preparation, how long do you guys think it would take? I'll be free for full time prep from 20 May, would it be too tight? I'm so nervous.

GoBills4life

Bronze

Post by GoBills4life » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 pm

If I don't pass the F17, then I'm gonna be joining this thread. Best of luck with the last little bit of the semester and studying for the bar. I graduated a semester early, so I consider all you guys my classmates. I hope I pass so I don't have to study. But I thought I'd make introductions now just in case. Peace and love

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:33 pm

RavenAgain wrote:Does anyone know how to apply to sit the NY bar based solely on having passed the bar in CA (as the NY bar does not recognise my legal education)? Is it possible to sit the July 2017 NY Bar if you are dependent on the CA Bar results which will only be released 12 May 2017 (as the normal NY bar application deadline is 30 April 217)?
I don't know if this is helpful:

MBE TRANSFER INFORMATION

If you indicated on your online application that you will be concurrently sitting for the MBE in another jurisdiction, you must take the necessary steps to have your score sent to New York no later than September 1st for the July exam and April 1st for the February exam. A failure to timely transfer your score will result in the nullification of your bar examination results. If you are taking the MBE in another jurisdiction your admission ticket for the New York exam will only permit you entrance to the exam on the first day. We will not have an MBE exam for you. Note that in order to earn a UBE score all sections of the exam must be taken in the same jurisdiction. Thus, if you take the MBE in another jurisdiction and transfer that score to New York, you will NOT earn a UBE score.If you intend to transfer your MBE score from New York to another jurisdiction, you must print and complete MBE Score Transfer Form I and send it to the Board's office with a certified check or money order for $50 payable to the "State Board of Law Examiners." The MBE Score Transfer Form I is available at http://www.nybarexam.org/forms/forms.htm.

TLDR, I would just call the NY Board of Law Examiners and ask. I have them in my contacts because I have so many questions. They're super helpful.

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Hey guys,

I thought it would be nice to find some studymates for july bar prep. I did take DC bar in feb, but I'm pretty sure I didnt pass this time so I'm planning to study for july. Also, DC is famous for their super late result, even after the July bar deadline, and I thought it would be safer for me to prep ahead too. Since I'm currently working in NYC, and NY is also UBE, I thought it wont be an issue for me to study with NY bar peeps here :)

If you're in NYC area and interested in study together, PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Sprout wrote:Okay I super lagged on doing my application online (because I was working on my application for accommodations which was of course denied) but I finally did it. I'm confused though. I completed it, but did not have to upload a transcript and haven't received any follow up emails or anything. What am I missing? :?
What make you think you should have uploaded a transcript at this stage? (genuinely asking—I didn't upload one, but nothing prompted me to think that I would have to, so not sure if I'm missing something).

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:30 pm

RavenAgain wrote:Does anyone know how to apply to sit the NY bar based solely on having passed the bar in CA (as the NY bar does not recognise my legal education)? Is it possible to sit the July 2017 NY Bar if you are dependent on the CA Bar results which will only be released 12 May 2017 (as the normal NY bar application deadline is 30 April 217)?
I can't find anything on the NY website that would allow you to sit for the bar exam solely based on passing another state's bar exam. It looks like you still have to qualify for admission to New York. Sorry. :( https://www.nybarexam.org/Eligible/Eligibility.htm I would honestly just call up the BOLE to ask them - if you've already heard that passing the CA bar is enough to make you eligible, then hopefully they can give you a sense of the timing and procedure over the phone. I'm not seeing anything on their website that would apply if your legal education isn't sufficient for NY and you aren't trying to qualify through something like law office study.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Yeah, the bar app is super easy - after the April 30 deadline, it generates a Certificate of Attendance that your law school will verify on your behalf, and you don't have to submit a transcript.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:41 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
What make you think you should have uploaded a transcript at this stage? (genuinely asking—I didn't upload one, but nothing prompted me to think that I would have to, so not sure if I'm missing something).

You don't need to upload a transcript. And you should just receive a confirmation of your application to your email. They will not generate anything until after the april 30th deadline I believe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:

You don't need to upload a transcript. And you should just receive a confirmation of your application to your email. They will not generate anything until after the april 30th deadline I believe.

cnk what are you doing here? go back home.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:

cnk what are you doing here? go back home.
Hahaha happyhour, I'm helping the newbies!!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm

Has anyone heard of bar exam toolbox? sounds shady to me but does anyone have any experience with it or know anyone who does?

http://barexamtoolbox.com

Edit: hey Mods sorry I put this in the wrong thread... Looking for info on specific bar prep supplement stuff. If thats the case can it be moved or deleted? thanks
Last edited by Sprout on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 am

Hey ya'll!

Feb 2017 taker here (first time) we got our results tonight, found out I passed! :)

Just some advice before you begin this miserable study journey... there will be ups and downs- I was crying halfway through bar prep, and I cried walking out of the exam, and in between days, you truly have no idea how you performed until results come out. I thought I bombed the MBE, found out I got a 150 MBE, 301 total.

Stick with it, practice essays/mbes, it will pay off!

Also, you might want to look into JD Advising's website- and her MEE "one sheets" I bought these (I'm in no way affiliated with the site)- but I found them very helpful to learn rule statements for the essays- especially if you haven't taken the MEE topics in law school. Also, her one sheets tell you WHEN each topic was tested going all the way back to the 1990s, so for example- you may realize that a specific issue within a certain topic that was just tested in F2017 (like firm offer/option K for contracts which we actually had) is probably not as likely to come up in J2017, as maybe a delegation issue (again just an example), but it illustrates my point.

Praying for you all, if I can be of any assistance to anyone please let me know!! I found this website helpful during my studies.

good luck! xo

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”