July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Slytherpuff

Platinum

July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm

This is the official hangout thread for the July 2017 New York bar exam! Results were released the evening of Monday, October 24, 2017. Congratulations to everyone who passed and good luck to those of you who will be retaking the exam in February - we're rooting for you!

Tuesday, July 25 - Multistate Performance Test (two 90-minute performance tests) and Multistate Essay Exam (six 30-minute essays)
Wednesday, July 26 - Multistate Bar Exam (two sets of 100 multiple choice questions)
9:30am-12:30pm and 2:00pm-5:00pm each day

July 2017 Location List
Seat emails went out to both in-state and out-of-state residents on Monday, June 12. Official seat tickets went out on Tuesday, July 11.

Checklist:
Nothing! We're done!

Want more information about the bar exam?
Board of Law Examiners Website
Official New York Bar Exam Guide
New York UBE Guide with FAQs

FAQs/TLS Wisdom:
What can you bring past the security checkpoint?
What topics are predicted to be on this year's MEE?
What is this "autopass" thing I keep hearing about on TLS?
General advice about routines

Past Polls:
Last edited by Slytherpuff on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 32 times in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm doing Themis. They had me at "iPad." Albeit, if I end up having failed the MPRE this month, I will begin to have an existential crisis about my life choices...

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:I'm doing Themis. They had me at "iPad." Albeit, if I end up having failed the MPRE this month, I will begin to have an existential crisis about my life choices...
I'm sure you're good! Themis won't fail you! Also I haven't even used my free iPad yet. :(

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Hello to you both, am also doing NY and Themis. They had me at "I could take a nice vacation after the exam with the cash I've saved". Not sure if you've started yet, but so far am impressed with the material on contracts and secured transactions. That's as far as I've got. Had to start early as work full time (plus, can only study for about 10 mins before compulsory internet browsing ensues). Word of warning, you may find it fine but I found the sec transaction outline slightly confusing, lectures were good, a lot clearer and simplied the subject somewhat so hang on in there if you don't like the outline ...
Ps: also took the MPRE in March, ugh!!!!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Checking in! I'm doing NY and Barbri. Will firms pay for 2 bar review courses so I can get a free iPad?

Also, do not worry about failing the MPRE. I met someone at my MPRE who passed the bar and failed the MPRE and I realized how much better that is than the other way around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Post by fleurdelis2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 pm

so testing location question: any opinions as to albany, buffalo or nyc? in terms of cost/convenience (currently attend columbia, but flying from home in July from out-of-state)

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Post by fleurdelis2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 pm

fleurdelis2 wrote:so testing location question: any opinions as to albany, buffalo or nyc? in terms of cost/convenience (currently attend columbia, but flying from home in July from out-of-state)
EDIT: do we get a choice and how do we select such choices

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 pm

If you're out-of-state, I think your choice will be either Albany or Buffalo. Don't think NYC will be offered (not enough space, but may be wrong). I know people quite like / prefer Albany / Buffalo to NYC, not so crazy.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 pm

I didn't think you got a choice regarding Albany vs buffalo. I thought it was just assigned. Could be wrong though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Post by fleurdelis2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 am

cool, thanks for the info

fleurdelis2

Bronze

Post by fleurdelis2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:09 am

according to the 2014 bar thread, there's a registration link for location preferences (hopefully the system hasn't changed much)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p5355810

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 am

My impression is that once you get the email to pick your location (sometime after the application closes), it's first-come, first-served for the location options. I'd heard that a few out-of-state people can get NYC if it doesn't fill up with NYC residents, but that's probably pretty rare. Here's their announcement about February locations, for reference.

I'll try to hunt down a pro/con thread for Albany and Buffalo next month!

Edit: Okay it looks like for the July 2014 exam, out-of-state people got their email at 3pm Eastern Time on June 5 (after the in-state people had already chosen their location) and the NYC option was gone within 40 minutes. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6#p7745766 If you jump on it quickly enough you might get a spot in NYC, but you should probably expect the website to be overloaded so don't count on it. So this is like trying to get Hamilton tickets when they open up a new batch!
Last edited by Slytherpuff on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:06 am

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:Hello to you both, am also doing NY and Themis. They had me at "I could take a nice vacation after the exam with the cash I've saved". Not sure if you've started yet, but so far am impressed with the material on contracts and secured transactions. That's as far as I've got. Had to start early as work full time (plus, can only study for about 10 mins before compulsory internet browsing ensues). Word of warning, you may find it fine but I found the sec transaction outline slightly confusing, lectures were good, a lot clearer and simplied the subject somewhat so hang on in there if you don't like the outline ...
Ps: also took the MPRE in March, ugh!!!!
I'm glad you're liking Themis so far, other than the secured transactions outline! Studying with a full-time job must be rough - props to you for getting an early start.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am

jingosaur wrote:Checking in! I'm doing NY and Barbri. Will firms pay for 2 bar review courses so I can get a free iPad?

Also, do not worry about failing the MPRE. I met someone at my MPRE who passed the bar and failed the MPRE and I realized how much better that is than the other way around.
:lol: It's worth asking if they'll pay for two courses! I was thinking about asking if my firm would pay to add on a supplement like Adaptibar or something else with real MBE questions.

Since you're doing Barbri, have you heard any buzz about Javits Center being closed this summer? One of my friends doing Barbri said they told her it might not be at Javits and had a list of alternate locations, but Themis hasn't mentioned anything to me so far. I THINK the Armory Track Center is an option, but I haven't even seen any indication online that Javits is really closed that week for the bar so I have no idea.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Checking in! I'm doing NY and Barbri. Will firms pay for 2 bar review courses so I can get a free iPad?

:lol: It's worth asking if they'll pay for two courses! I was thinking about asking if my firm would pay to add on a supplement like Adaptibar or something else with real MBE questions.

Since you're doing Barbri, have you heard any buzz about Javits Center being closed this summer? One of my friends doing Barbri said they told her it might not be at Javits and had a list of alternate locations, but Themis hasn't mentioned anything to me so far. I THINK the Armory Track Center is an option, but I haven't even seen any indication online that Javits is really closed that week for the bar so I have no idea.
Checking in! Also doing Barbri. Re: the bolded: Yes, I have heard from the Barbri person at my school that Javits is most likely not going to be an option for july.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:My impression is that once you get the email to pick your location (sometime after the application closes), it's first-come, first-served for the location options. I'd heard that a few out-of-state people can get NYC if it doesn't fill up with NYC residents, but that's probably pretty rare. Here's their announcement about February locations, for reference.

I'll try to hunt down a pro/con thread for Albany and Buffalo next month!

Edit: Okay it looks like for the July 2014 exam, out-of-state people got their email at 3pm Eastern Time on June 5 (after the in-state people had already chosen their location) and the NYC option was gone within 40 minutes. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6#p7745766 If you jump on it quickly enough you might get a spot in NYC, but you should probably expect the website to be overloaded so don't count on it. So this is like trying to get Hamilton tickets when they open up a new batch!
That's true from what I've heard from former 3Ls. Personally I'm going to default to Albany given my law school's locatoin, and will keep it because my firm will cover a hotel for two nights but might not if the hotel is in NYC because they know that I have a permanent address there (would rather live 10 minutes from the exam center in Albany though).

j_syrinate

New

Post by j_syrinate » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Checking-in! I began started prepping the last week of February. I am a bar exam re-taker (failed the July 2015 NY Bar Exam), so this will be my first time taking the UBE in NY. A little background information, after law school I took a position as a Compliance Officer at a large financial institution out of state -- so I have been putting the bar exam off since it is not required at my current role (JD Preferred).

I'll be self-studying and my schedule while working full-time will be 2-3 hours after work during the week and 6-8 hours per day on Saturday and Sunday. As far as prep material, I still have all my books from the Barbri course (NY Edition pre-UBE), Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics for the MBE, Adaptibar, UBE/MEE Smartbar Essay Prep Outline, and purchased all the MEEs released from 2012-2016. So far I've been studying one topic a week (completed Property, Civ Pro, Con Law, Criminal Law and Procedure and Conflicts of Law), completed about 400 MBE question and have done 4 MEEs. By the end of April I'd like to have a full review completed on each subject. Still trying to figure out the best strategy from May 1st until the exam.

Good luck everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 pm

The bar exam is not taking place at the Javits center.. 1st location is the armory track field.. the next is the piers (Not sure of the address---- it is where the boats come) someone from the bar spoke at our school. Hopefully the NY Bar Examiners will update their website soon. But there are 2 locations in manhattan for sure.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:30 pm

pvnyc wrote:The bar exam is not taking place at the Javits center.. 1st location is the armory track field.. the next is the piers (Not sure of the address---- it is where the boats come) someone from the bar spoke at our school. Hopefully the NY Bar Examiners will update their website soon. But there are 2 locations in manhattan for sure.
Thanks so much, this is super helpful! I think Pier 94 based on a random Barbri/Harvard PowerPoint I found in a Google search? Hopefully we'll find out the locations soon!

(I added that PowerPoint to the OP because it answers some of my/our common questions about the bar exam requirements.)

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Any benefit to signing up tomorrow rather than later? Kinda in a situation where I'd rather wait two weeks before I fork up $350 or whatever the cost is.

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:25 am

OutoftheWoods wrote:Any benefit to signing up tomorrow rather than later? Kinda in a situation where I'd rather wait two weeks before I fork up $350 or whatever the cost is.
I can't see that it makes any difference at all, no problem waiting. I just signed up, although it still references the Feb exam but suspect they will have fixed that by the morning.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:28 am

Just signed up tonight.
Doing Themis because iPad.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:32 am

Thank you Slytherpuff for this thread

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:43 am

When are y'all taking the NYLE?
June 15th or Sep 14?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:47 am

sesto elemento wrote:When are y'all taking the NYLE?
June 15th or Sep 14?
June 15th over here.... :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”