July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cnk1220

Silver

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:57 pm

thelawyer1908 wrote:
MelaPela wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
Cantab10 wrote:Anyone have an idea about the rules on what we can take into the exam?

Thought I saw some crazy stuff like you can't take in a watch or wireless mouse and such things...

You can bring a watch it just has to be analog not digital and you can't wear it on your wrist, must be on the desk. I would recommend this esp. on mbe day as there might not be clocks in your testing center- there wasn't at the Albany convention center.

Tip- set the watch to 12 so it's easier to keep track
But then... how would we know what time it is when the exam is over?! :lol:
lol why did this make me laugh so hard lol
Haha you won't care what time it is you'll just want to get out and everyone will be headed towards the exit like a herd of buffalo lol

flyingboy

New

Post by flyingboy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:28 pm

bballbb02 wrote:Anyone else get killed by property set 4?
The Barbri property questions are tough in general. A lot of them test topics that didn't get covered in the lecture (or somewhat obscure topics). I just treat my wrong answers as a chance to learn specific rules or get a better feel for specific fact patterns. No need to get discouraged.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Does anyone have any recs for reliable but cheap analog watches for the exam? I'm not trying to spend a lot of money right now whatsoever but def will need to be able to keep track of time and will likely be in the albany convention center where there might not be a clock

PanickingBarTaker

New

Post by PanickingBarTaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:09 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Cantab10 wrote:Anyone have an idea about the rules on what we can take into the exam?

Thought I saw some crazy stuff like you can't take in a watch or wireless mouse and such things...

You can bring a watch it just has to be analog not digital and you can't wear it on your wrist, must be on the desk. I would recommend this esp. on mbe day as there might not be clocks in your testing center- there wasn't at the Albany convention center.

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, can someone please explain to me what are the advantages of setting the clock to 12? A lot of people have been telling me this but I still fail to see the point (none of them were able to explain it to me either!)

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:15 pm

PanickingBarTaker wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, can someone please explain to me what are the advantages of setting the clock to 12? A lot of people have been telling me this but I still fail to see the point (none of them were able to explain it to me either!)
You set it to 12 to see the actual time elapsed. It won't take much mental energy to glance and see an hour and a half has gone by. You have to realize you're never going to start right at a certain time. So the first session may start at 9:18:22. You won't have any idea when exactly your time will expire, especially on the MBE (ExamSoft has a timer). Even if you do remember the exact time, you'll have to do some silly math to figure out the time remaining.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm

PanickingBarTaker wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

It makes it easier to keep track of time- for the MPT in the morning you have 3 hours to complete 2 MPTs so thats 90 mins. on each, but the proctors will not tell you when 90 mins. is up- so you need to manage your own time. Setting it to 12 will make it easier to keep track so you know to move on to MPT 2 when it's 130.

Also for the MEE you need to give yourself no more than 30 mins on each essay, setting it to 12 will make sure you are moving onto the next essay at each 30 min. interval and ending by 3pm.

For MBE day- you get 3 hours in the morning section for 100 Qs, 3 hours in the afternoon for 100Qs, same thing- you want to keep track of your time and make sure you're not spending too much time. At 130pm you should be done 50Qs.

Cantab10

New

Post by Cantab10 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi guys anyone using an app called Quizlet to make flashcards?

legallyblonde88

New

Post by legallyblonde88 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Cantab10 wrote:Hi guys anyone using an app called Quizlet to make flashcards?
I am (although admittedly not as consistently as I should!). I used it all through law school. The app itself is only okay, but you can access your flashcards on your phone or ipad and study easily while on the subway/car/plane. Plus it saves on paper that old school flashcards require, and saves your hands from having to write everything out!

PanickingBarTaker

New

Post by PanickingBarTaker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
PanickingBarTaker wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

It makes it easier to keep track of time- for the MPT in the morning you have 3 hours to complete 2 MPTs so thats 90 mins. on each, but the proctors will not tell you when 90 mins. is up- so you need to manage your own time. Setting it to 12 will make it easier to keep track so you know to move on to MPT 2 when it's 130.

Also for the MEE you need to give yourself no more than 30 mins on each essay, setting it to 12 will make sure you are moving onto the next essay at each 30 min. interval and ending by 3pm.

For MBE day- you get 3 hours in the morning section for 100 Qs, 3 hours in the afternoon for 100Qs, same thing- you want to keep track of your time and make sure you're not spending too much time. At 130pm you should be done 50Qs.
Thank you! Now this makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Sprout wrote:Does anyone have any recs for reliable but cheap analog watches for the exam? I'm not trying to spend a lot of money right now whatsoever but def will need to be able to keep track of time and will likely be in the albany convention center where there might not be a clock
this is the watch i bought for the lsat:
https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MQ24-1E-Bl ... asio+watch

it gets the job done. although, it appears to have gone up by a buck or two since then...

legallyblonde88

New

Post by legallyblonde88 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm

For everyone who took last week's NYLE, the results will be posted tomorrow according to the NY Bar website:

"The results from the June 15, 2017 NYLE will be released on Friday, June 23, 2017. Applicants may access the NYLE results by logging into their Applicant BOLE Account through the Applicant Services Portal at https://www.nybarexam.org/applicantport ... Login.aspx"

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Took a peek back at the location list to distract myself after getting pwned by a practice MEE and I guess they're already taking pre-orders for lunch.
http://www.customgourmetny.com/faq/
Looks easy but laughably expensive. For in-state students, I'd check with your school to see if they're providing free lunches at your location!

kcjlo10

New

Post by kcjlo10 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Some here asked for the Adaptibar discount code. Feel free to pm me for one! :D

Don't bother PMing them, they can't hear you.

-BU

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks Unicorn Hunter, you the real MVP
<3

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:48 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
Sprout wrote:Does anyone have any recs for reliable but cheap analog watches for the exam? I'm not trying to spend a lot of money right now whatsoever but def will need to be able to keep track of time and will likely be in the albany convention center where there might not be a clock
this is the watch i bought for the lsat:
https://www.amazon.com/Casio-MQ24-1E-Bl ... asio+watch

it gets the job done. although, it appears to have gone up by a buck or two since then...
I feel like watch makers are in bed with NCBE... They know that they are screwed with Apple watches nowadays.. You're not fooling me!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Took a peek back at the location list to distract myself after getting pwned by a practice MEE and I guess they're already taking pre-orders for lunch.
Looks easy but laughably expensive. For in-state students, I'd check with your school to see if they're providing free lunches at your location!
Yeah.. for real. They were only $16/day at Buffalo for F17.. Maybe Buffalo uses a different provider. I would still suggest it even though it is annoyingly expensive. Way easier. But obviously if your school is providing for you you are the real MVP.

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Took a peek back at the location list to distract myself after getting pwned by a practice MEE and I guess they're already taking pre-orders for lunch.
Yeah.. for real. They were only $16/day at Buffalo for F17.. Maybe Buffalo uses a different provider. I would still suggest it even though it is annoyingly expensive. Way easier. But obviously if your school is providing for you you are the real MVP.
Is it crazy to go back to your hotel room for lunch if you're within 5 minutes walking distance?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
Is it crazy to go back to your hotel room for lunch if you're within 5 minutes walking distance?

Yeah just get food at the testing cite you'll need to go through security again which will take time

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Yeah just get food at the testing cite you'll need to go through security again which will take time
There goes my plan. Is this for NYC or does it go for Buffalo and Albany too? I was told that some people go get food from restaurants nearby... I really can't imagine eating their boxed lunches (dietary restrictions), so my other option was to grab something from somewhere close.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

There goes my plan. Is this for NYC or does it go for Buffalo and Albany too? I was told that some people go get food from restaurants nearby... I really can't imagine eating their boxed lunches (dietary restrictions), so my other option was to grab something from somewhere close.
I took it at Albany- there was an au bon pain and some other fast food options right in the testing center at thebconvention center so it was literally right there, you can also bring food with you as long as it's something unwrapped and in a clear plastic bag that you can put into your bigger plastic bag with all your stuff

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

I took it at Albany- there was an au bon pain and some other fast food options right in the testing center at thebconvention center so it was literally right there, you can also bring food with you as long as it's something unwrapped and in a clear plastic bag that you can put into your bigger plastic bag with all your stuff
Thanks!! I'm taking it in Buffalo so anyone with any insight into their food places in relation to the security line would be much appreciated! Since we can bring food in a clear bag, I will probably just bring some stuff in there just in case. I did like the idea of not spending the 1.5 hour break surrounded by other bar takers though, but I should have known that was too good to be true! :cry:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:49 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Thanks!! I'm taking it in Buffalo so anyone with any insight into their food places in relation to the security line would be much appreciated! Since we can bring food in a clear bag, I will probably just bring some stuff in there just in case. I did like the idea of not spending the 1.5 hour break surrounded by other bar takers though, but I should have known that was too good to be true! :cry:
I'd just do the catered lunch or bring your own. There are things around but it's too big of a risk timing wise. Most bar takers sit directly in front of the site (they close of the street) so you can easily take a walk around the block if you want. Also note that you have to line up like 20-25 minutes prior to the next session starting.

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 pm

When will people in NYC know which venue they're taking the test in?

lawdotupenndotedu

New

Post by lawdotupenndotedu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

tacocohcevoli wrote:When will people in NYC know which venue they're taking the test in?
They've done such a crappy job making it clear if there even are options for where NYC people will be. The website (https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm) only lists the Armory now, but the confirmation email mentioned Armory, Javits, and "a midtown hotel". And, for a while, the website also listed Pier 94.

Basically... who the hell knows? I've been wondering the same for weeks too.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:59 pm

We find out when seating tickets are sent out, but we don't know exactly when that is. Maybe two weeks before the test?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”