July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cnk1220

Silver

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Sprout wrote:If we booked albany, how do we know if we'll be at

Empire State Plaza Convention Hall
Concourse Level, Albany, NY 12242, OR

Albany Capital Center, 55 Eagle St, Albany, NY 12207

It should have had the option for you to choose a specific location in Albany?..that's what I heard the email looked like for choosing Albany last july.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:13 pm

I guess they're trying out a random assignment system this year? The location email said that we get randomly assigned a location in July (when seating tickets come out) if we select a city that has multiple locations.

Sprout, the two Albany locations aren't too far apart so I wouldn't worry about it until next month!

Tati718

New

Post by Tati718 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Out of stater. Just received email to choose location at 2:37. Available choices were Albany, Buffalo, and Saratoga Springs; nothing in the City

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Total surprise...!

I chose Buffalo. Done!
:x

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:I guess they're trying out a random assignment system this year? The location email said that we get randomly assigned a location in July (when seating tickets come out) if we select a city that has multiple locations.

Sprout, the two Albany locations aren't too far apart so I wouldn't worry about it until next month!
Noticed this after checking the map.. Lol. Was v concerned about getting a hotel nearby before everything sells out. thank you! Guess I will see some of you out of staters in Albany at the end of july.... :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:38 pm

FormerChild wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:Why are all the nearby hotels in Buffalo already booked? :(
I was shocked that all of them were booked up within 10 minutes of the email going out. Luckily was able to get one at the Buffalo Marriott Harborcenter, hopefully its not a shithole
It's a great hotel actually. Not super close but it's an easy walk or cab ride over. The bar is very very nice and the location is pretty cool.

theselearnedhands

New

Post by theselearnedhands » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:02 pm

I reserved a hotel in Buffalo and one Albany a few months ago, because I wasn't sure if my address change would be processed before the location email went out. I'll be in NYC for the exam, so I'm going to release/cancel the Buffalo and Albany reservations on Hotels.com. I'm not sure if the hotels will become immediately available upon my cancellation, but I just wanted to give out of staters a heads up in case you are looking for hotels! The hotels are:

Albany- TownePlave Suittes by Marriot Albany Downtown/Medical Center

Buffalo- Double Tree Club by Hilton Buffalo Downtown

bcohen226

New

Post by bcohen226 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm

theselearnedhands wrote:I reserved a hotel in Buffalo and one Albany a few months ago, because I wasn't sure if my address change would be processed before the location email went out. I'll be in NYC for the exam, so I'm going to release/cancel the Buffalo and Albany reservations on Hotels.com. I'm not sure if the hotels will become immediately available upon my cancellation, but I just wanted to give out of staters a heads up in case you are looking for hotels! The hotels are:

Albany- TownePlave Suittes by Marriot Albany Downtown/Medical Center

Buffalo- Double Tree Club by Hilton Buffalo Downtown
For Albany, still availability here surprisingly - https://app.hiskipper.com/reservations/ ... YRiazZi2ws

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm

If anyone needs accommodation in Buffalo, PM me. Have an AirBnB house that I'm looking to split for July 24-27, within walking distance of the testing center. $252 per person for 3 nights combined.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoosiernole

New

Post by hoosiernole » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 pm

I, too, was surpised at how quickly the hotels and Air BnBs in Buffalo went. It is as if people booked the hotel before confirming the test city on BOLE. Hopefully some folks will be kind to release their reservations now and not wait until week of or whenever cancellation deadlines are.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 pm

Bizarre that the only NYC exam site listed now is the Armory Track & Field center...

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am

I got Buffalo. Hotel prices are impossible downtown near the testing centre

I booked one near the airport so i could rent a car and drive in.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:51 am

thelawyer1908 wrote:I got Buffalo. Hotel prices are impossible downtown near the testing centre

In my opinion, this is a risk not worth taking. The airport is not close and who knows what traffic will look like. It may seem pricey but you'd never forgive yourself if you fail because you couldn't get to the exam site.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:14 pm

thelawyer1908 wrote:I got Buffalo. Hotel prices are impossible downtown near the testing centre

Probably better off. $35 taxi ride each way to and from the airport to Adam's Mark for F17. The cab drivers are scam artists. MAKE SURE THEY TURN ON THE METER OR ASK FOR THEIR MEDALLION!! I think parking at the test location or near by was like $10.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

REPOSTING THIS SINCE IT GOT FLOODED BY SEAT EMAILS: Any thoughts?

Anyone have any tips on the MPT? F17 I did really well on one and bombed the other.. I didn't really have a strategy going in. And to be completely honest I looked at about 4 MPTs prior test day. I figured 20% of the grade.. I'd rather spend my time else where. I also thought that since I've been practicing I could just set it up how the call of the question asked and then plug in facts/thoughts from the fact pattern and then write. I had all this awesome stuff I wanted to say on the second MPT and then totally ran out of time. I watched a YouTube video prior to F17 on "Preparing for the MPT." It showed a spreadsheet where you would plug everything in and organize your writing that way. I thought "oh please.. who's gonna have time to do that?" and now I'm kind of thinking maybe I should have listened to this lady. Although using charts/graphs is really not how I comprehend information. I am more an outline A-Z type of learner/writer.

What strategy are Barbri/Themis/Kaplan teaching everyone how to do the MPT?

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:17 pm

how do people review their lectures notes immediately after the lectures?? for the review, that Barbri says we should do--how much time do yall spend on that

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:21 pm

People taking the NYLE this week, how much are you studying?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:36 pm

bballbb02 wrote:how do people review their lectures notes immediately after the lectures?? for the review, that Barbri says we should do--how much time do yall spend on that
I usually don't review the lecture notes when they suggest. The day after I finish the last lecture of a topic, I will review all the lecture notes throughout the day (usually I break it up into two or three chunks of skimming review), and then take the diagnostic when I'm done with that. I can't imagine sitting through a lecture and then reviewing the notes the same day every time. But different folks...

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm

lolabear727 wrote:

Probably better off. $35 taxi ride each way to and from the airport to Adam's Mark for F17. The cab drivers are scam artists. MAKE SURE THEY TURN ON THE METER OR ASK FOR THEIR MEDALLION!! I think parking at the test location or near by was like $10.
Looks like Uber & Lyft will be available in the region just in time for the bar:
http://www.wkbw.com/news/lyft-uber-look ... n-new-york

MrWhitman

New

Post by MrWhitman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
bballbb02 wrote:how do people review their lectures notes immediately after the lectures?? for the review, that Barbri says we should do--how much time do yall spend on that
I usually don't review the lecture notes when they suggest. The day after I finish the last lecture of a topic, I will review all the lecture notes throughout the day (usually I break it up into two or three chunks of skimming review), and then take the diagnostic when I'm done with that. I can't imagine sitting through a lecture and then reviewing the notes the same day every time. But different folks...
I annotate my critical pass flash cards. It does two things, keeps me interested in the lecture notes and helps me get familiar with any differences in the notes as compared to the cards. It also helps me pick out which flash cards are most important so that i can focus my study time.

I force myself to spend no more than an hour doin this.

ellewoodsNYC

New

Post by ellewoodsNYC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:22 pm

MrWhitman wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:
I annotate my critical pass flash cards. It does two things, keeps me interested in the lecture notes and helps me get familiar with any differences in the notes as compared to the cards. It also helps me pick out which flash cards are most important so that i can focus my study time.

I force myself to spend no more than an hour doin this.

On a related topic, when will you guys start memorizing rules? Kaplan tells us we should at some point but I am curious at to how barbri has set up the timeline

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:27 pm

MrT wrote:

In my opinion, this is a risk not worth taking. The airport is not close and who knows what traffic will look like. It may seem pricey but you'd never forgive yourself if you fail because you couldn't get to the exam site.

you have a great point. i preferred to walk, but literally it was so expensive, i just decided to take the risk. will think more about it tonight.

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:28 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
same. i just review the notes later on. skim them, make sure i'm familiar with what's going on.

i haven't tried any essay questions yet; dont know why i'm so nervous.

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:33 pm

heythatslife wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Looks like Uber & Lyft will be available in the region just in time for the bar:
http://www.wkbw.com/news/lyft-uber-look ... n-new-york
Hey thanks!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Just got my location confirmation email!

Also my school let us know they're providing free lunch for the exam, which is nice of them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”