July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
batmanandbaybreezes

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by batmanandbaybreezes » Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 pm

First time takers, what you all should focus on is enjoying the shit out of your lives while you still can.

Repeat takers, I believe in you.

Failed in July 2016 by six points, Passed the February 2017 exam with a 297. I am available for all questions, comments, and concerns in any way I can help.

BagelsandWhitefish

New

Post by BagelsandWhitefish » Wed May 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:Thank you for the MEE tips ...
All sound ugh!! to me.
Just remember if 1/2 the MEE essays are on MBE subjects, MBE subjects will comprise 65% of the exam. With the MPT covering 20%, the non-MBE subjects are only 15% of the exam.

Even in F17, with 4 non-MBE subject essays, the non-MBE subjects made up only 20% of the exam, the same as the MPT. This is why the MPT should not be overlooked, and why you should focus heavily on MBE subjects. And you almost have to learn the MBE subjects in two different ways--(1) is trying to cover/memorize all the rule statements (eg, the exception to the exception to the rule), which is what you need to answer MBE multiple choice questions, and (2) how a given MBE subject operates as a whole, which often is what you need to answer an essay question (because the essay often tests 3 interrelated areas of one subject, and sometimes even crosses subject lines, like a question combining crim pro and evidence). My suggestion, and it follows the recommendation of many others, is to concentrate heavily on the MBE subjects. Having just done reasonably well on the F17 bar (163/318), I would recommend that, after you watch the videos and read the outline on a given MBE subject, do at least 100 questions on that MBE subject. It will reinforce what you have learned on the subject and also gives you MBE practice. Don't fret if you do poorly. I started out answering about 50% of the questions. Over time, you will steadily progress. If you continue to do MBE questions, and do something in the neighborhood of 2500 total, you will be prepared, provided you spend time understanding the reasoning behind each answer. As many have said, read the analysis of each question, whether you get it right or wrong. I can safely say that about a 1/3 of the time you get the right answer for the wrong reason, or you make a good guess. This is why you read the analysis for the questions you get right. Often you are wrong. This also explains why so many people think they did poorly on the MBE, myself included, when they walk out of the exam--you do make plenty of educated guesses. On the MEE, just focus on the basics with regard to non-MBE subjects. Don't get bogged down too much on every detail, especially in conflicts. The conflicts portion of a question is usually very basic. Most of the law in the non-MBE subjects makes intuitive sense; even something like secured transactions will ultimately make sense to you. This brings me to my last point. Just keep plugging away, day by day. Don't worry about how much ground you have to cover. Just focus on how much time you are going to make available to cover that ground, and put the time in.

Like many other folks on the blog, I am happy to help out.

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Thu May 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you Bagels!!!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:50 am

If anyone wants to buy my huge new barbri MBE outlines book and lecture handout book (both for $70, or $50/$20) let me know, thanks! Trying to get rid of these asap and buy some stuff at sephora instead :)
Last edited by cnk1220 on Sat May 06, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Fri May 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Doesn't look like this was mentioned before, but the locations are now up.

2 NYC sites and White Plains. Hopefully this means it will be easier for out-of-staters to get the NYC area locations thi syear!

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Doesn't look like this was mentioned before, but the locations are now up.

2 NYC sites and White Plains. Hopefully this means it will be easier for out-of-staters to get the NYC area locations thi syear!

Fyi- white plains is usually hand write only so if you're a laptop candidate that may not appear as a choice

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri May 05, 2017 8:09 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Doesn't look like this was mentioned before, but the locations are now up.

Thanks! I'd been checking frequently for those and hadn't looked to see if they'd gone up today. I think the two NYC locations are substantially smaller than Javits so I don't think the odds of people getting NYC will be too much better now. :(

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Sat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

Fyi- white plains is usually hand write only so if you're a laptop candidate that may not appear as a choice
OK thats what I thought, but there's no text next to it specifying that so maybe they changed it? I remember the last time they had that location it said handwriting only next to it. Gonna assume it is handwritten only, though.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat May 06, 2017 5:09 pm

For NYC people - I don't know which of our two locations will fill up more quickly, but I've been scouting out the food spots while procrastinating on studying for finals.

Pier 94
Pros: Much more accessible from downtown/midtown Manhattan and BK/Queens
Cons: Not as many cheap food options, but you do have some corner stores and a Subway plus some nicer restaurants/bars where you might be able to schedule a 1pm pick-up. Also it probably has the same convention center feel as Javits and could maybe even have pigeons/forklifts too.

Armory Track & Field Center
Pros: So many good food options nearby, including places that look cheaper and faster! I also remember seeing posts from people who took a February test here that they really liked the venue.
Cons: Takes a lot longer to get to from downtown/midtown and the other boroughs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Sun May 07, 2017 11:44 am

Do I really need to book a hotel at all of the non NYC locations possible and then cancel them once I am assigned somewhere? :?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun May 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Sprout wrote:Do I really need to book a hotel at all of the non NYC locations possible and then cancel them once I am assigned somewhere? :?
You should have a good chance of getting your first choice between Albany or Buffalo, so I would just book a hotel at whichever your preferred location is. But I'm sure there are people who are booking at both locations just to be extra safe.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Sprout wrote:Do I really need to book a hotel at all of the non NYC locations possible and then cancel them once I am assigned somewhere? :?
You should have a good chance of getting your first choice between Albany or Buffalo, so I would just book a hotel at whichever your preferred location is. But I'm sure there are people who are booking at both locations just to be extra safe.

Very true^^ the "battle" between albany and buffalo is not as competitive as for nyc spots. But if you want peace of mind, book both. The hotels give you until the day/two days before to cancel, and you will deff. know at least a few weeks before the exam which location you will be at.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I agree with Slytherpuff and the website says specifically out of staters get their choice between the two. They are huge locations and likely will never fill up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Sun May 07, 2017 2:05 pm

What's the deal with Saratoga? Can I take it there, if I want? It doesn't seem like many people on here are considering it. Any idea why?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:What's the deal with Saratoga? Can I take it there, if I want? It doesn't seem like many people on here are considering it. Any idea why?

I think more out of staters find albany/buffalo closer. But saratoga is an option as well if you want to take it there! That'll be nice, as it will likely be less hectic!

dvd0188

New

Post by dvd0188 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I am selling my brand new Themis MULTISTATE Exam Books on ebay if anyone is interested. I ended up never using these so I wanted to sell them to someone who is looking for a cheaper option than purchasing the entire Themis course. There are six books in total, which cover all three portions of the UBE. I included a link below if y'all are interested. Good luck with bar prep!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112391054038?ss ... 1555.l2649

batmanandbaybreezes

Bronze

Post by batmanandbaybreezes » Sun May 07, 2017 5:32 pm

I wonder why they canceled the Javits Center? Personally I liked the location. The armory was so stressful when I went there in February.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:33 pm

batmanandbaybreezes wrote:I wonder why they canceled the Javits Center? Personally I liked the location. The armory was so stressful when I went there in February.

Hayyyyy 8)

batmanandbaybreezes

Bronze

Post by batmanandbaybreezes » Sun May 07, 2017 5:37 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
batmanandbaybreezes wrote:I wonder why they canceled the Javits Center? Personally I liked the location. The armory was so stressful when I went there in February.

Hayyyyy 8)
Hey girl haaaaaay ;)

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm

I am thinking of buying seperac, Studicata and leansheets.
Last edited by guyindfw on Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:20 pm

guyindfw wrote:I am planning to buy seperac, Studicata and leansheets. If anyone wants to pool together, please PM me.

Check out mee one-sheets, it's been around longer than studicata. I think studi just debuted their material...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon May 08, 2017 11:27 am

despite having logged into the NYLE site to do those videos as well as being able to get into nybarexam.org, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to login into exam soft to download that software. anyone have any guidance? also, when i try to reset my password, it tells me to contact my school admin...

WestWingWatcher

Bronze

Post by WestWingWatcher » Mon May 08, 2017 11:34 am

SplitMyPants wrote:despite having logged into the NYLE site to do those videos as well as being able to get into nybarexam.org, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to login into exam soft to download that software. anyone have any guidance? also, when i try to reset my password, it tells me to contact my school admin...
Did you make sure to update the institution ID to nybar? I ran into the same problem, only to realize my ID was still set for the NYLC.

--oops, just realized you're having trouble downloading the it in the first place. Despite your ID being the same, your PW is different for this one. The new password is at the bottom of the email reminding you that you are not Registered for SofTest

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon May 08, 2017 11:40 am

WestWingWatcher wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:despite having logged into the NYLE site to do those videos as well as being able to get into nybarexam.org, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to login into exam soft to download that software. anyone have any guidance? also, when i try to reset my password, it tells me to contact my school admin...
Did you make sure to update the institution ID to nybar? I ran into the same problem, only to realize my ID was still set for the NYLC.

--oops, just realized you're having trouble downloading the it in the first place. Despite your ID being the same, your PW is different for this one. The new password is at the bottom of the email reminding you that you are not Registered for SofTest
Thanks! Should have kept scrolling...

flyingboy

New

Post by flyingboy » Mon May 08, 2017 11:18 pm

When can we expect the seat assignment email to come out?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”