July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MrT

Bronze

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Good Luck, Everyone!

Post by MrT » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:So my firm is reimbursing me travel expenses for the bar. I've sent them hotel and flight...is it too much to also send them airport parking and uber fare in the city from the airport?
Do it! Those are travel expenses too!
100%

2014applicant

New

Post by 2014applicant » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 am

Anybody know how bringing in fluids after the lunch break works? Like can we take our clear bottle out of the room, re-fill it at break, and come back in with it, or what?

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 am

This idiot at the coffee shop who just hacked up a lung without covering his mouth better not get me sick, I swear to god

acijku2

New

Post by acijku2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:23 am

2014applicant wrote:Anybody know how bringing in fluids after the lunch break works? Like can we take our clear bottle out of the room, re-fill it at break, and come back in with it, or what?
I'm wondering the same thing. I was contemplating filling it up with an iced coffee for the second half.

dhersz

New

Post by dhersz » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 am

Anyone know if the rules regarding the plastic bag are flexible?

Like am I allowed a resealable food storage plastic bag that is smaller than 1 gallon? Also, do any snacks/food need to be in another bag (within the initial bag)?

Stressing about the stupid things :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:16 am

helpappreciated wrote:So are the MPTs back-to-back in one session or will the sessions be split with 3 MEEs and 1 MPTs each?

Also, are we or are we not allowed to bring an extension cord for are chargers?

And last, are we even able to download the exam yet? ExamSoft says my credentials (for the NYLE) have expired.
Do you need extension cords? I read that there are outlets at every table.

You should already have downloaded the exam files...you can see them if you go into Examsoft...

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

Bass wrote:
helpappreciated wrote:So are the MPTs back-to-back in one session or will the sessions be split with 3 MEEs and 1 MPTs each?

Also, are we or are we not allowed to bring an extension cord for are chargers?

And last, are we even able to download the exam yet? ExamSoft says my credentials (for the NYLE) have expired.
Do you need extension cords? I read that there are outlets at every table.

You should already have downloaded the exam files...you can see them if you go into Examsoft...

MPTs are back to back in the AM, MEE in PM

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 pm

2014applicant wrote:Anybody know how bringing in fluids after the lunch break works? Like can we take our clear bottle out of the room, re-fill it at break, and come back in with it, or what?
I'm under the impression that we can take our plastic bag with us for lunch (laptops have to stay in the room though) so you can fill up your bottle!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:36 pm

sam91 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:how do we go about messing around with the mock exam? i submitted it when we were supposed to back in early june and now the only exam file listed is the one for next week

we didnt use examsoft for law school so i'd like to mess around it with and get a better feel for the interface and hot keys
Sign back in to "download exam" and then it should re-populate as either a mock available for download or it will auto-download the mock.

Hope this works. It did for me.
thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scaramouche

New

Post by Scaramouche » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:12 pm

Are we provided with scratch paper?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Scaramouche wrote:Are we provided with scratch paper?

No, but you can write on the booklets.

bda

New

Post by bda » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 pm

It says we're allowed to bring medication in its original packaging. Does that include things like Tylenol or only prescriptions?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:58 pm

bda wrote:It says we're allowed to bring medication in its original packaging. Does that include things like Tylenol or only prescriptions?

I think you can bring both. I had ibuprofen on me during the exam- but i just put it into a smaller ziploc inside of my bigger ziploc

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tacocohcevoli

New

Post by tacocohcevoli » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:22 pm

Here are some dumb questions:

I know we can wear hooded sweatshirts in the exam room, and can't wear jackets/coats. Sweaters/non-hooded sweatshirts are also file in the exam room, right?

Water bottle must fit in plastic bag? We can bring anything, right (water, coffee, soup, etc.) as long as it goes in the bottle?

Scaramouche

New

Post by Scaramouche » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:41 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

Last scratch paper question I swear! What about Wednesday? Watched a barbri video where someone had a cool strategy for keeping a list of questions you skipped. Or can I just like, tear a slice out of the booklet?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:43 pm

Scaramouche wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Last scratch paper question I swear! What about Wednesday? Watched a barbri video where someone had a cool strategy for keeping a list of questions you skipped. Or can I just like, tear a slice out of the booklet?
You dont get scratch paper on MBE day either, you can write in your booklet. I circled the Q number of the ones I skipped to keep track- make sure you skip that number on your scranton too. You cannot tear anything out of the booklet either.

mistman7

New

Post by mistman7 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:45 pm

So who's putting together the bar exam minyan in Buffalo? haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Scaramouche

New

Post by Scaramouche » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Do you think I will have a chance to get a coffee at the break?

helpappreciated

New

Post by helpappreciated » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 pm

What type of erasers can we bring? I know mechanical are not allowed, but I'm wondering about those that attach to pencils or the brick erasers.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:06 pm

Where in the fuck is the concourse level of the Albany Empire State plaza?

ETA: the escalators right inside the Egg seem to go down right next to the Convention Hall testing room

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:23 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Where in the fuck is the concourse level of the Albany Empire State plaza?

ETA: the escalators right inside the Egg seem to go down right next to the Convention Hall testing room
THANKS i was so confused when I visited bc the map they sent us did not correspond with the map there- but they assumed we knew to go into the egg.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Last minute questions that I am sure have been answered so apologies:

- if we wear reading glasses, can I bring the case thing with the little wipe or is that not allowed?
- it says we can bring keys and ID but it doesnt say anything about wallet / credit cards / cash... that's allowed right?
- do I need to memorize and or write down my exam soft ID and password or is it safe to rely on the fact that it's saved on my program on my computer I did the mock exam with?

edit wait last but important question: A friend of mine told me can wear hoodies as confirmed by BOLE, we just cant wear the hood, but that they cant have pockets?? Do they even make hoodies without pockets? This is crap right? It says nothing about that I can find online.

[Also shout out to all of you who chose Buffalo. Literally everything in Albany closes at 6 PM - like not even 7/11's or places like that are open - so I get to go to the CVS in the morning to buy a water bottle, advil, a snack and extra caffeine for lunch.]

PS: Pre-apologies if you sit next to me. Gl all.
Last edited by Sprout on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:01 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:Where in the fuck is the concourse level of the Albany Empire State plaza?

Thanks again.. my plan is to just follow the massive amount of nervous people heading in a similar direction. It's going to be raining in Albany tomorrow so laptop wise.. pretty sure Uber is going to make a killing with surge charges

Sprout

Silver

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Sprout » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:05 pm

acijku2 wrote:Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but we can bring our phones and leave them in the personal bag room right? I'm assuming the room is before the security checkpoint at all locations?
Yeah you can it's just "leave at your own risk" ... no one is going to steal at a bar exam... you'd have to be insane C&F wise. I have heard though that it just isn't worth it because the personal bag room is a cluster fuck and not to leave anything in there you need quick access to with limited time.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:06 pm

helpappreciated wrote:What type of erasers can we bring? I know mechanical are not allowed, but I'm wondering about those that attach to pencils or the brick erasers.
Those are fine. I picked a rocket ship one because my friend anna told me that it helped her smile and not cry when she didn't know an answer. I also picked a standard attach yellow one because some weird voodoo lady on the airplane told me it would help me remember better. I explained that's not really how that works, but okay. Worst case they'll take it but I highly doubt they will.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”