July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - The Wait Continues

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:02 pm

thelawyer1908 wrote:I am so nervous.

I'm convinced I failed. Didn't finish one of the MPTs. Did that ever happen to anyone else?
the kind of good news about being (truly) convinced you failed is that the only place to go is up

that said, i heard at least one person talking about not finishing one of the MPTs. i'm sure it's fairly common, though i have no idea how that correlates with failing/passing.

an_online_adult

New

Post by an_online_adult » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:18 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:

I'm convinced I failed. Didn't finish one of the MPTs. Did that ever happen to anyone else?
the kind of good news about being (truly) convinced you failed is that the only place to go is up

that said, i heard at least one person talking about not finishing one of the MPTs. i'm sure it's fairly common, though i have no idea how that correlates with failing/passing.
Has anyone actually finished an MPT??? I'm still waiting for the MPT I feel good about and get done on time. 3 hours to write two documents that I could spend 6 hours on each... God that section sucks.

poupeetttee

New

Post by poupeetttee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 pm

an_online_adult wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

Has anyone actually finished an MPT??? I'm still waiting for the MPT I feel good about and get done on time. 3 hours to write two documents that I could spend 6 hours on each... God that section sucks.
I also found MPT super frustrating. Never had problem with MPT but these 2.......They were difficult to get a grasp of.... . lol After 1.5hr I drew a shitty conclusion and started the 2nd MPT, so I finished both, but ashamed of what I've done. -__-'

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:12 am

New poll is up for the next few days (followed by a release date prediction poll). You only get one vote for this one, so make it count!

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 pm

My firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:18 pm

Oooh I'm glad to see the "my pet" option wasn't a bust!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:49 am

My change of address has officially been processed, so I am now covered by the 1st department. Woo!

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Seems like this time round, they're being more open kimono about the release date.

This time last year, they said results will be out early November. This year, they're acknowledging that it's probably going to be end October.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Toubro wrote:Seems like this time round, they're being more open kimono about the release date.

This time last year, they said results will be out early November. This year, they're acknowledging that it's probably going to be end October.
The terror is creeping in very suddenly. Idk how I'm going to concentrate on work (or maybe, alternatively, work will keep me distracted idk).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Toubro wrote:Seems like this time round, they're being more open kimono about the release date.

I have somehow thoroughly convinced myself they're coming out earlier this year than last. I'll probably rescind this statement on Friday lol

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm

This may be a dumb question, but with my new address on file, I need to update the address on my Pro Bono Form Affidavit, which had already been notarized and certified with the old address. Does this mean I have to re-notarize and re-certify the form, or can i simply change the address and print out a new front page?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

"Note to applicants applying for admission on examination: do not submit an employment affidavit for employments listed on your 50 hour pro bono compliance affidavit or listed on your pro bono scholars program completion affidavit (see instructions accompanying question 15 on the application for admission questionnaire)."
I'm confused by this quote in the employer affidavit form...

For example, I can read it one of two ways:

First, it could mean that you do not necessarily need employer affidavits for every last organizational hour that is counting towards the pro bono requirements. For example, even if you did, say, 1 hour of legal aid volunteer work that you did extracurricularly and are submitting a pro bono affidavit for, it does not necessarily count as "legal employment" and does not also require an employer affidavit.

Alternatively, it could mean that any employer that you have listed as a pro bono reference no longer requires any additional employment affidavit. For example, if you did a 1L SA and also did pro bono work with them that you are using for a pro bono affidavit (or your 1L summer was spent entirely at an organization that is signing your pro bono affidavit for your qualifying work), then you absolutely do not also need an employer affidavit from that organization.

The plain reading tends to favor the latter, but that just seems to simplify things a surprising amount...

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
"Note to applicants applying for admission on examination: do not submit an employment affidavit for employments listed on your 50 hour pro bono compliance affidavit or listed on your pro bono scholars program completion affidavit (see instructions accompanying question 15 on the application for admission questionnaire)."

First, it could mean that you do not necessarily need employer affidavits for every last organizational hour that is counting towards the pro bono requirements. For example, even if you did, say, 1 hour of legal aid volunteer work that you did extracurricularly and are submitting a pro bono affidavit for, it does not necessarily count as "legal employment" and does not also require an employer affidavit.

Alternatively, it could mean that any employer that you have listed as a pro bono reference no longer requires any additional employment affidavit. For example, if you did a 1L SA and also did pro bono work with them that you are using for a pro bono affidavit (or your 1L summer was spent entirely at an organization that is signing your pro bono affidavit for your qualifying work), then you absolutely do not also need an employer affidavit from that organization.

The plain reading tends to favor the latter, but that just seems to simplify things a surprising amount...
I interpreted as the latter, but I agree it could be confusing. Definitely would appreciate to hear from others.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

I interpreted as the latter, but I agree it could be confusing. Definitely would appreciate to hear from others.

Yeah, I think it's confusing and I don't know what the right answer is. I've settled on this: I worked my 2L summer at a legal services organization (for which all work I did would have counted toward my 50 hours). I'm only submitting my pro bono affidavit for that employer. My friend worked at a firm 2L summer and completed her pro bono requirement on a pro bono matter there. She's submitting the pro bono affidavit as well as an employment affidavit.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

Yeah, I think it's confusing and I don't know what the right answer is. I've settled on this: I worked my 2L summer at a legal services organization (for which all work I did would have counted toward my 50 hours). I'm only submitting my pro bono affidavit for that employer. My friend worked at a firm 2L summer and completed her pro bono requirement on a pro bono matter there. She's submitting the pro bono affidavit as well as an employment affidavit.
You have to have both, unfortunately. They kicked mine back when I only had the pro bono affidavit and no legal employment affidavit. Also, the process is annoyingly long so I'd probably err on the side of caution and give them too much rather than too little. I had to file two supplements and it extended my swearing in date several months.

S.as.in.Snake

New

Post by S.as.in.Snake » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 am

TEIAM wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

You have to have both, unfortunately. They kicked mine back when I only had the pro bono affidavit and no legal employment affidavit. Also, the process is annoyingly long so I'd probably err on the side of caution and give them too much rather than too little. I had to file two supplements and it extended my swearing in date several months.
I thought the instructions said that you did not fill out an employment affidavit for the place that was your pro bono, period plain and simple. I did all of mine at the DAs office so I did not submit an employer affidavit, just the pro bono. But then for all my other "legal employments" I have employer affidavits.

TEIAM

Bronze

Post by TEIAM » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am

S.as.in.Snake wrote:
TEIAM wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

I thought the instructions said that you did not fill out an employment affidavit for the place that was your pro bono, period plain and simple. I did all of mine at the DAs office so I did not submit an employer affidavit, just the pro bono. But then for all my other "legal employments" I have employer affidavits.
Re-reading the rule, you're right. My particular situation may have been unique.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:34 am

S.as.in.Snake wrote:
TEIAM wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:

Yeah, this is how I read it and why I'm only submitting the one. But I understand why someone would feel like they should submit two for the same employer (which probably can't hurt).

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 pm

My pro bono was through a law school clinic, and I don't plan on submitting a separate employment affidavit for it. Though in my case you can argue that 100% of my clinic hours were solely for the satisfaction of 100% of the pro bono requirement.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:29 pm

I also did not submit an employment affidavit for my pro bono work (was successfully sworn in earlier this year).

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Damage Over Time wrote:I also did not submit an employment affidavit for my pro bono work (was successfully sworn in earlier this year).
Helpful, thanks! And congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I got the bar exam survey email for the 5th time now.... :(

thinkingoutloud3015

New

Post by thinkingoutloud3015 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm

pvnyc wrote:I got the bar exam survey email for the 5th time now.... :(
Is it a link to the same survey each time?

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

thinkingoutloud3015 wrote:
yes.........this is killing me

thinkingoutloud3015

New

Post by thinkingoutloud3015 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 pm

pvnyc wrote:
thinkingoutloud3015 wrote:
yes.........this is killing me
Based on previous posts, there does not appear to be any link between how many survey requests you receive and whether or not you passed the bar. If I had to guess, it is probably a glitch.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”