July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
helpappreciated

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Post by helpappreciated » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Any reason why we would miss the January swearing in? I won't be able to turn in my packet until later in the week as I am still waiting on a single employers letter to come in.

kani

New

Post by kani » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:41 pm

I am a first time test taker.. missed by one, got 265. The letter says the scores are final and already rechecked/regraded. Is there anything else I can do to verify or get it calculated again possibly ?

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:56 pm

IwiLLdoIt wrote:
TheoO wrote:Alright, where are all y'all who passed but were crying about how you definitely failed and that was the worst bar exam ever? Come out!
Failed. Determined. But I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Took Barbri for both previous exams. Any suggestions?
UBE : 252

Every year I go up 10pts and I don’t want to take feb 18 to only get 262 and fail again. Smh
I recommend Adaptibar and Emmanuel's for the MBE and Seperac for the MEE. For the MBE, Figure out your weak topics/subtopics; after I did that, I saw the biggest improvement in my MBE score. PM if you want a discount on Adaptibar. Copies of Emmanuel's are usually floating around Amazon and eBay, especially right after results come out.

Seperac will help you tailor your MEE studying to those subtopics most likely to appear.
Last edited by squiggle on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ariboohowyoudo

New

Post by Ariboohowyoudo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

kani wrote:I am a first time test taker.. missed by one, got 265. The letter says the scores are final and already rechecked/regraded. Is there anything else I can do to verify or get it calculated again possibly ?
I believe because they re-grade/re-check your score when you're within the 1-2 point range, they avoid the opportunity for you to appeal your score. So sorry. :(

But that is what I've heard, so maybe take it with a grain of salt and hopefully someone here knows more than I.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Ariboohowyoudo wrote:
kani wrote:I am a first time test taker.. missed by one, got 265. The letter says the scores are final and already rechecked/regraded. Is there anything else I can do to verify or get it calculated again possibly ?
I believe because they re-grade/re-check your score when you're within the 1-2 point range, they avoid the opportunity for you to appeal your score. So sorry. :(

But that is what I've heard, so maybe take it with a grain of salt and hopefully someone here knows more than I.
They've already reviewed your score if scored between 262 and 265 after the initial grading. No appeals in New York. I heard you could review your MBE bubble sheet to check for errors with the machine grading, but I haven't be able to ever substantiate that rumor.

I failed by one point in NY before it was UBE (I scored 664, and 665 was passing). It's heartbreaking to be so close. Hang in there. You definitely have enough knowledge to pass, and hopefully you'll get MEE questions that are favorable to your strengths next time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fordham_636

New

Post by fordham_636 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:50 pm

If you want someone that will give you the care, attention to detail, and compassion you deserve as a tutor, I think Silverman Bar exam tutoring is a no brainer, especially for those re-taking the exam. I was fortunate enough to pass on my first try, however, the process was full of self doubt, stress, and misery. After I did not write a word for the MPT and an entire essay, I was convinced I failed. There was no point in showing up for day two. I e-mailed both Joe Separac and Sean Silverman, asking them what I would need on the MBE to have a shot at passing. I was having a panic attack in the hotel room and desperately wanted a reply. In my time of need, Sean Silverman was the only one that responded. He told me to show up the next day and give it my all. He said if I got at least a 150 on the MBE, I would have a fighting shot. This meant the world to me, and (fortunately/unfortunately) I will never be able to re-pay him. He helped me muster the confidence and hope to even show up the next day. In the state of utter despair that I was in, I don't think I would have been able to mentally show up the next day with a shrivel of hope or focus, but for Mr. Silverman. Luckily, with his help, I showed up and got a 172 on the MBE.

This is not to take away from Separac or what he does with providing detailed calculators (which I never really could figure out :( ). I just wanted to share the story of how compassionate and kind Sean Silverman is.

mr1987

New

Post by mr1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Where's the list of all candidates? Couldn't find on BOLE's website though the press release said it would be released at 5 pm today

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 pm

mr1987 wrote:Where's the list of all candidates? Couldn't find on BOLE's website though the press release said it would be released at 5 pm today
Sometime after* 5pm

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
mr1987 wrote:Where's the list of all candidates? Couldn't find on BOLE's website though the press release said it would be released at 5 pm today
after* 5pm
I was so mad at myself (and BOLE) after re-reading the letter and seeing the phrasing. Too cheeky 4 me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr1987

New

Post by mr1987 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
after* 5pm
I was so mad at myself (and BOLE) after re-reading the letter and seeing the phrasing. Too cheeky 4 me.
Did they really need to? Can't have this BOLE crap anymore

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:07 pm

The list is also supposed to be on the law journal's website at midnight. Not sure where it'll be up first (BOLE or Law Journal)

LG-09

New

Post by LG-09 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Passed! (opening that email was one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life).

MBE - 143.4
UBE - 287

I was convinced that I bombed that MBE so terribly. Like many here I felt like I actually knew around 10% of the questions, narrowed it down to two and guessed on about 60% of the questions, and flat out guessed on about 30%.

I actually used BarMax, which not a lot of people around here seemed to have used. It was relatively cheap, good interface, and more self-study than anything--which is what I was looking for.

Anyway, congrats to all of those who passed! And to those that didn't, there's nothing more I can say than keep your head up! Just going through to process of law school and writing the bar is quite the feat in and of itself. You'll bounce back.

Also agree that it was rather shady of BOLE to use the wording "*after 5pm*" lol smh.
Last edited by LG-09 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musername

New

Post by musername » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 pm

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
musername wrote:Passed. 3rd time taking. 128 MBE. Never thought I'd see this day.
Congrats! Failed with a 140 MBE :(
You can do this!! I failed July 2015 (NY Bar exam) with a 116 MBE...

Took UBE in July 2016 and failed NY (124 MBE- 261 overall)

Was totally convinced I am never passing. I didnt finish one MPT, totally screwed up an essay and still passed. (128 MBE, 277 overall)

It took me way longer than all my classmates but it feels good.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:The list is also supposed to be on the law journal's website at midnight. Not sure where it'll be up first (BOLE or Law Journal)
Maybe BOLE forgot

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:22 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:The list is also supposed to be on the law journal's website at midnight. Not sure where it'll be up first (BOLE or Law Journal)
Maybe BOLE forgot
haha wouldn't surprise me

polkadot12

New

Post by polkadot12 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 am

wonder why its not public...

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 am

LG-09 wrote:Passed! (opening that email was one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life).

MBE - 143.4
UBE - 287

I was convinced that I bombed that MBE so terribly. Like many here I felt like I actually knew around 10% of the questions, narrowed it down to two and guessed on about 60% of the questions, and flat out guessed on about 30%.
149.3 MBE (278 overall). I felt the same way about the MBE. With the exceptions of Torts (which I can do in my sleep) and con law, I didn't feel confident about any of the MBE questions. Civ pro was a nightmare. I did finish the MBE section early (which is a shocker since I ran out of time during the other times I took the bar). I double checked my answers. Either I was much better prepared for the MBE this time around or they made it easier since so many people were flunking before.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Adame10

New

Post by Adame10 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:56 am

chocciebiccie wrote:Didn't pass! Wish I knew about this forum before I took the exam, seems very helpful.
Foreign educated and qualified attorney. Just used Barbri while working full time, and thought Barbri was absolutely useless.

Probably will re-sit as I didn't fail by too much but hated the whole bar exam/ exam room/ exam day experience.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!! I'm looking at doing adaptibar/ Smartbarprep/ Separac notes - probably won't be using Barbri again.

Also another problem - what to tell the people at work ... lol
I am a foreign educated as well and a retaker Barbra was not helpful at all I failed with 7 points and took Kaplan online classes, it was the best for me and I passed with 161 in MBE and with total 282.
And if your MBE score is passing score you can transfer it to D.C. And take only the essay portion on February

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:03 am

b290 wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:Failed by 8 points. Was 100% expected but had hoped it wouldn't be that close to feel that extra sting. Living at home now and really need to leave, so trying to figure out how to come to terms with another 7+ months here. Overcame a lot of adversity in the 3 years of law school, never want/wanted to be a lawyer (pushed into law school and away from other paths) and was excited to close the door on this chapter, be financially independent and pursue actual dreams asap. Taking the day to feel the pain but just have to start fresh tomorrow. Critical pass is staring at me from across my bed on my desk so I guess it was destiny.

I did 90% of barbri, 1500+ adaptibar, and critical pass. Going to check out emanuels this time, buy the tests from NCBE, and drop adaptibar (can't afford it again). Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Congrats to all who passed!!!
It’s not necessary to do adaptibar since you’ve done that much. The NCBE questions would effectively be the same thing, but you do the math yourself. How were you doing before the exam? It may not be knowledge, but timing, or something else altogether.

A 258 means you’re tweaking a few things, not an overhaul - which is good. Just my $.02
I think Adaptibar worked against me anyways- I got too used to the older style of questions and when I sat down the current MBE questions felt too different, so ya, dropping that. Def going to get the NCBE questions.

I think its anxiety- I historically test terribly and crash under pressure. I think too much about everything going on around me and lose concentration easily and get shakey. Like I type unreasonably fast but for some reason when I was typing the MEE & MPT my hands were like jello and I could barely finish sentences- never had that happen before.

I got 133 on the essays and 125 on MBE so I think both sections clearly need work. Thanks a lot for your input!

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
Maybe BOLE forgot
haha wouldn't surprise me
Law Journal:
http://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/si ... esdayD.pdf

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anabasis

New

Post by anabasis » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 am

If it fits your goals, consider transferring the score to a jurisdiction that has a 260 cut. Not the right choice for everyone, but worth considering.

r.a.t.keurig.machine

New

Post by r.a.t.keurig.machine » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 am

Passed!!!! I was not expecting this. I was an emotional wreck while taking the exam - I had to put my dog down just days before and wasn't in a positive head space at all.

Now onto the NYLE. For those of you that have already taken the exam (or are more knowledgeable than I am), where is it offered? From what I understand, it's multiple choice and taken via computer/examsoft. I'm hoping that it can be taken from anywhere rather than having to travel to an exam site.

Thanks!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 am

r.a.t.keurig.machine wrote:Passed!!!! I was not expecting this. I was an emotional wreck while taking the exam - I had to put my dog down just days before and wasn't in a positive head space at all.

Now onto the NYLE. For those of you that have already taken the exam (or are more knowledgeable than I am), where is it offered? From what I understand, it's multiple choice and taken via computer/examsoft. I'm hoping that it can be taken from anywhere rather than having to travel to an exam site.

Thanks!
You just take it from home (or wherever you want) on your computer.

verejacob

New

Post by verejacob » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:07 am

Congratulations to those who passed. I missed by 10 points. MBE 135, MEE/MPT - 121. Seems I was underprepared for MEE/MPT. Will retake Feb 2018 exam. I have access to Barbri and I have purchased Emanuel MBE S&T and Critical Pass.

My questions to those who passed -
1. Did anyone use Adaptibar? If I'm using Emanuel MBE S&T to improve my MBE, will it be overkill to use Adaptibar too?
2. Did anyone use Seperac UBE Master? Was it useful? Is it overwhelming/overkill if I use Serapac in addition to Barbri, Emanuel and Critical Pass?
3. Did anyone use ELS' (JD Advising) MBE and MEE services viz. MBE One Sheets, MBE Guides and MEE One Sheets? Were these useful?
4. What are the best resources to learn the black letter law? Conviser? Lean Sheets? Any other suggestions?

And my question to those who passed and especially did well in MEE/MPT -
1. What gameplan/strategy did you follow that helped you ace MEE/MPT?

Any suggestion/advise is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by verejacob on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”