July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Shadowcrystal

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!!

Post by Shadowcrystal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:30 am

GGMcSwift wrote:Theres no way to know your MBE/MPT breakdown if you passed right?
They tell you what your MBE is, so just subtract that from your total UBE score and you’ll have your MEE score. You can’t tell what your MPT was from your MEE score though :/

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am

Shadowcrystal wrote:
bluewin888 wrote:140 is not high enough..

what if you get 150?

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
bluewin888 wrote:i think MBE is key!! if you donot study essays and just write something relevant, you will still pass.

btw, i am missing few points; will take in Feb..
Not so sure. My 140 MBE score says otherwise.I have passed the MBE in all of my attempts, but haven't managed to get close to a passing score on the written part.
Surprisingly, I got a 130.9 on the MBE and still passed with a 291. I took BARBRI and never ever wrote out the essays; I just studied the outlines and the material and did my best on the day. I only focused on the MBE at first but then for the last week before the exam, I focused on only MEE material by reviewing the topics. I also never did an MPT simulation. I guess the essays and the MPTs saved me (in other words: don’t neglect the essays. They might save you if you really can’t bring up your MBE).

BARBRI mid term: 90/200
MBE: 130.9
UBE: 291

yea also kinda surprised. i got a 126 on the MBE and still passed this time around. I really do wish they'd give the MPT vs. MEE breakdown.

theselearnedhands

New

Post by theselearnedhands » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 am

Passed! So relieved. Working full time plus studying, I had convinced myself that this first round was a no go. If you didn’t pass, keep pushing. This is a set up for a comeback.

GGMcSwift

New

Post by GGMcSwift » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 am

Shadowcrystal wrote:
GGMcSwift wrote:Theres no way to know your MBE/MPT breakdown if you passed right?
They tell you what your MBE is, so just subtract that from your total UBE score and you’ll have your MEE score. You can’t tell what your MPT was from your MEE score though :/
Sorry I meant MEE/MPT.

But I see there is not.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:50 am

FYI, we kind of killed it

Some select quotes from the press release
The passing rate for graduates of American Bar Association accredited law schools who took the bar examination for the first time in July 2017 is 86%, an increase of 3% from the July 2016 examination, and the highest passing rate for this group since the July 2013 examination.
The Board examined a total of 9,932 candidates . . . the lowest number of candidates examined in a July administration since 2004.
The passing rate for all foreign-educated candidates is 48%, an increase of 11% from last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 am

Wow! I don’t think I’ve seen numbers that high in a long time - going back to law school. Y’all crushed it. Good job!

Asroma

New

Post by Asroma » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 am

Toubro wrote:FYI, we kind of killed it

Some select quotes from the press release
The passing rate for all foreign-educated candidates is 48%, an increase of 11% from last year.
Well done fellow foreign candidates! :D

Siriusendeavor

New

Post by Siriusendeavor » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:13 am

theselearnedhands wrote:Passed! So relieved. Working full time plus studying, I had convinced myself that this first round was a no go. If you didn’t pass, keep pushing. This is a set up for a comeback.
Congratulations!
Yes - this. A repeater, I passed and working full-time. I am so relieved it feels surreal! Congratulations to everyone who passed and those who didn't keep pushing on, you will make it.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:24 am

Failed by 8 points. Was 100% expected but had hoped it wouldn't be that close to feel that extra sting. Living at home now and really need to leave, so trying to figure out how to come to terms with another 7+ months here. Overcame a lot of adversity in the 3 years of law school, never want/wanted to be a lawyer (pushed into law school and away from other paths) and was excited to close the door on this chapter, be financially independent and pursue actual dreams asap. Taking the day to feel the pain but just have to start fresh tomorrow. Critical pass is staring at me from across my bed on my desk so I guess it was destiny.

I did 90% of barbri, 1500+ adaptibar, and critical pass. Going to check out emanuels this time, buy the tests from NCBE, and drop adaptibar (can't afford it again). Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Congrats to all who passed!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

b290

Bronze

Post by b290 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:44 am

Yazzzay wrote:Failed by 8 points. Was 100% expected but had hoped it wouldn't be that close to feel that extra sting. Living at home now and really need to leave, so trying to figure out how to come to terms with another 7+ months here. Overcame a lot of adversity in the 3 years of law school, never want/wanted to be a lawyer (pushed into law school and away from other paths) and was excited to close the door on this chapter, be financially independent and pursue actual dreams asap. Taking the day to feel the pain but just have to start fresh tomorrow. Critical pass is staring at me from across my bed on my desk so I guess it was destiny.

I did 90% of barbri, 1500+ adaptibar, and critical pass. Going to check out emanuels this time, buy the tests from NCBE, and drop adaptibar (can't afford it again). Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

It’s not necessary to do adaptibar since you’ve done that much. The NCBE questions would effectively be the same thing, but you do the math yourself. How were you doing before the exam? It may not be knowledge, but timing, or something else altogether.

A 258 means you’re tweaking a few things, not an overhaul - which is good. Just my $.02

JoeSeperac

Post by JoeSeperac » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 am

Yazzzay wrote:Failed by 8 points. Was 100% expected but had hoped it wouldn't be that close to feel that extra sting. Living at home now and really need to leave, so trying to figure out how to come to terms with another 7+ months here. Overcame a lot of adversity in the 3 years of law school, never want/wanted to be a lawyer (pushed into law school and away from other paths) and was excited to close the door on this chapter, be financially independent and pursue actual dreams asap. Taking the day to feel the pain but just have to start fresh tomorrow. Critical pass is staring at me from across my bed on my desk so I guess it was destiny.

To anyone that failed the UBE exam, if you send me your scores, I will send you a 12 page score report like the sample below:
http://seperac.com/pdf/Score%20Analysis%20UBE%20F17.pdf

The score report is free. I regard it as a quid pro quo - the reports can help you on your next attempt and the data helps me learn more about the exam. For example, I can’t make the online calculators without a lot of scores because I need at least 100 scores to figure out the scales. I explain everything here:
http://www.seperac.com/index.php#RETAKERS

The score report will tell you exactly where you did well verus where you did poorly. For example, the above examinee needed a 266 to pass the February 2017 NY bar exam but scored a 232. His WORST exam item (based on how many UBE points away from passing) was MBE: Constitutional Law where the examinee was -7.9 UBE points away from passing. The next WORST exam item was MBE: Torts where the examinee was -6.5 UBE points away from passing. His next WORST exam item was MPT2: Brief (Facts/Conclusion) where the examinee was -4.8 UBE points away from passing. In contrast, the examinee was 1.8 UBE points above passing with MBE: Evidence.

The score report will also tell you your % correct on the MBE subjects. For example, in the above sample, the examinee had a %tile for Civil Procedure of 29.0, meaning the examinee scored better than only 29.0% of examinees nationwide on the 25 graded Civil Procedure MBE questions (out of about 23,000 February 2017 examinees). What these percentiles don't tell you are your raw scores (e.g. that you answered 14/25 of the Civil Procedure MBE questions correctly, meaning 56% correct for Civil Procedure). With this information, you can correlate your exam MBE scores to your practice MBE scores (e.g. if you were getting 70% correct on Civil Procedure questions in practice but 56% correct on the exam, you should find a better source of Civil Procedure MBE practice questions).

If you complete my Retaker Advice form, I will also give you my advice:
http://www.seperac.com/scoreform.php

All information submitted is always treated confidentially. The more information you give me, the better advice I can give you about what to do on your next attempt. I have looked at many failing examinee scores and tracked their outcomes so I can probably give you some useful advice.

rom10

New

Post by rom10 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:05 am

L_William_W wrote:Third time was the charm. Surprisingly, I got a 149.3 MBE even though it felt like I got every civ pro multiple choice question wrong. There must have been a generous curve. My overall UBE was 278. I completely fucked up on the MPT- the MBE saved me (never thought I'd say that).

I'm a black male. I've heard all of the negativity about repeaters not passing, black people not passing, etc. This is vindication.
CONGRATULATIONS!

fordham_636

New

Post by fordham_636 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am

Hi all:

First off, we all lurked way tooooo much and worried way tooo much for something we could no longer change. Secondly, I passed with a 298 without writing more than a sentence on the second MPT, only writing a sentence for the crim pro evidence essay, not knowing what a codicil was for the trusts essay, and not knowing the civ pro question was also a conflicts question.

I did not want to show up for day 2. I believed in miracles, and my ability in the MBE. Never give up. Anything is possible!

To those that didn't get good news this time. Keep going and believing

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:41 am

Congrats everyone who passed! :D *party hat emoji*

chocciebiccie

New

Post by chocciebiccie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:44 am

Didn't pass! Wish I knew about this forum before I took the exam, seems very helpful.
Foreign educated and qualified attorney. Just used Barbri while working full time, and thought Barbri was absolutely useless.

Probably will re-sit as I didn't fail by too much but hated the whole bar exam/ exam room/ exam day experience.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!! I'm looking at doing adaptibar/ Smartbarprep/ Separac notes - probably won't be using Barbri again.

Also another problem - what to tell the people at work ... lol

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I took the bar exam six times in two states. I passed NJ on my third attempt (July 2015). I passed NY on my third attempt (July 2017)

I took the bar exams in the following order:

February 2014 (NY)- failed

July 2014 (NY and NJ)- failed both

February 2015 (NJ)- failed

July 2015 (NJ)- passed

July 2017 (NY)- passed

I consistently received the lowest grades on the midterms and finals in law school. In fact, after my 2L year, I was literally 3 points away from being academically dismissed (you need a 2.5 to stay at CUNY. I had a 2.52).

In my 3L year, I took a course taught by John Pieper and his two useless sons, Troy and Damian, called Core Doctrine. I got a C in that course.

Don't take Barbri. It's a waste of money. Furthermore, the mind works by actively engaging in studying, not passively listening to boring lectures. Instead, buy some used Barbri books on Amazon and use them to make YOUR OWN outlines.

I can't give you MPT advice- I fucked up on both MPTs. However, my MBE saved me.

As far as the essays are concerned, simply print out every past essay you can get your hands on and study the patterns and what they look for in the answers

As far as the MBEs are concerned, Strategies and Tactics for the MBE, Strategies and Tactics Finz, and the infamous Kaplan red book are the Holy Grail- DO EVERY PROBLEM (in fact, buy all of the Kaplan books that you can get your hands on, even if they don't have civ pro). When I took the July 2014 bar exam, my MBE was a pathetic 118.6. When I took the July 2017 bar exam, my MBE was a 149.3. I was shocked, especially considering that I felt like I got every Civ Pro question wrong

If I can pass the bar exam then any human being on the planet can pass. I had a shitty LSAT and struggled to get through law school. If you didn't get it this time, don't listen to the negativity about repeaters not passing. It's bullshit. Instead, stay focused. When you're studying for the bar, STAY AWAY FROM SOCIAL MEDIA and limit the amount of time you watch TV.

bradlejj01

New

Post by bradlejj01 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Passed! MBE 151.6/UBE 298. My new MacBook Air did not work when I sat down to take the written portion of the exam on Day 1 so I had to hand-write. The proctors were absolutely terrible. Do you have any idea how terrifying that was?! I wrote maybe 11 words on the second MPT. My hand was throbbing after that day. Anything is possible!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawgirl2295

New

Post by Lawgirl2295 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi!! Does anyone have the private look up link that is said to be provided by the board?????? WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!

JulieBean

New

Post by JulieBean » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Lawgirl2295 wrote:Hi!! Does anyone have the private look up link that is said to be provided by the board?????? WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!
There wasn't one in my letter sadly, and my BOLE/NCBE account definitely doesn't have that info. You may just need to wait until the list is released in a few hours :-/

gatorfan163287

New

Post by gatorfan163287 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:15 pm

Passed! Did Themis and used Critical Pass and OneSheets. Got like 90% through Themis.
Total: 324/ MBE: 156.3/ MEE+MPT 167.7
Last edited by gatorfan163287 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArizonaCactus123

New

Post by ArizonaCactus123 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 pm

gatorfan163287 wrote:Passed! Did Themis and used Critical Pass and OneSheets. Got like 90% through Themis.
Total: 324/ MBE: 156.3/ MEE 167.7
How did you see your MEE score?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:34 pm

ArizonaCactus123 wrote:
gatorfan163287 wrote:Passed! Did Themis and used Critical Pass and OneSheets. Got like 90% through Themis.
They didn't. Just did 324 - 156.3 to get a general "writing" score.

ArizonaCactus123

New

Post by ArizonaCactus123 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:38 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
ArizonaCactus123 wrote:
They didn't. Just did 324 - 156.3 to get a general "writing" score.
Ok. So MEE + MPT.

thelawyer1908

New

Post by thelawyer1908 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Hey guys if you miss the January swearing in, when are the other swearing in times?

sugrl12

New

Post by sugrl12 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:50 pm

301 total! 161.9 MBE score. Thanks to BARBRI, Critical Pass, and Strategies & Tactics!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”