July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
cnk1220

Silver

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:25 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
MrWhitman wrote:
sam91 wrote:What are all my fellow coffee addicts doing?

Seems mildly gross to bring in lukewarm coffee in a clear plastic bottle, but whether it is mental or actual, I feel as though I don't have a choice. LOL.

I guess just hoping that I won't be alone on this one.
I would agree but caffeine during a three hour test would lead to many...erm...breaks for me.

I would seriously go for it if you need to though! Ever tried ice coffee?
Why not coffee before hand, and then coffee during the break? That's my plan, anyway. But I do anticipate taking a break every segment anyways, but for me its a nonissue timing wise (except perhaps the essays portion..)

Just a friendly reminder- whether you bring in water in a plastic bottle or coffee, you have to store the bottle under your desk when you're taking the exam- so if you need to take a drink you can grab it and then put it back down- they're pretty strict about only having pens/pencils, erasers, and your exam ticket on your desk.

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Yeah, cold brew or iced coffee seems like the move.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm

New poll, plus an updated checklist in the OP (feel free to suggest more items to add on there)

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:12 pm

On earplugs, I have used Howard Leight ones ever since a guy sitting next to me on a plane recommended them as the best plugs to "drown out babies' cries."

Can't say that they definitely drown out babies' cries all the time but I have been using them when studying at Starbucks/other cafes and they do a pretty good job helping me focus.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:24 pm

I went back and forth on whether to get the Hearos earplugs, but I think I'm just going to hunt down the pair I used for LS exams when I get back to NYC on Monday. The Hearos options look great but I don't want to have to get a million pairs to qualify for 2-day shipping.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

myrtlewinston

Bronze

Post by myrtlewinston » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am

Slytherpuff wrote:I went back and forth on whether to get the Hearos earplugs, but I think I'm just going to hunt down the pair I used for LS exams when I get back to NYC on Monday. The Hearos options look great but I don't want to have to get a million pairs to qualify for 2-day shipping.
Hearos work well. You should be able to get them at Duane Reade.

Samarcan

New

Post by Samarcan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:05 pm

So this is not something I'm going to do, obviously, but the BOLE emails from today made me wonder what exactly stops someone from having a Word doc minimized on their laptop and pull it up quickly to look up a rule statement for the MEE when a proctor's not behind them. Obviously a risk, but i wonder if people try to pull it off. Can't be too hard to just wait until the proctors aren't in good view of your screen and quickly pop your document out for a peek! I think it's just not worth the trouble, as the potential gains are so far below the potential harms. but I bet some desperate souls (no one on TLS, of course) are considering it...

bda

New

Post by bda » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Samarcan wrote:So this is not something I'm going to do, obviously, but the BOLE emails from today made me wonder what exactly stops someone from having a Word doc minimized on their laptop and pull it up quickly to look up a rule statement for the MEE when a proctor's not behind them. Obviously a risk, but i wonder if people try to pull it off. Can't be too hard to just wait until the proctors aren't in good view of your screen and quickly pop your document out for a peek! I think it's just not worth the trouble, as the potential gains are so far below the potential harms. but I bet some desperate souls (no one on TLS, of course) are considering it...
Examsoft shuts down your computer to all other programs; aka when you're in an exam, you can't just click out of examsoft.

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Samarcan wrote:So this is not something I'm going to do, obviously, but the BOLE emails from today made me wonder what exactly stops someone from having a Word doc minimized on their laptop and pull it up quickly to look up a rule statement for the MEE when a proctor's not behind them. Obviously a risk, but i wonder if people try to pull it off. Can't be too hard to just wait until the proctors aren't in good view of your screen and quickly pop your document out for a peek! I think it's just not worth the trouble, as the potential gains are so far below the potential harms. but I bet some desperate souls (no one on TLS, of course) are considering it...
the software locks your computer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samarcan

New

Post by Samarcan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:11 pm

lakers180 wrote:
d'oh.

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Samarcan wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
d'oh.
lmao have you never used examsoft in law school?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:24 pm

You did submit a mock exam to play around with the software, right?

Also I'm bummed we can't have anything open on our laptops while we're stuck waiting in the room for like an hour before the exam, but it makes sense.

Biglawprettyplease

New

Post by Biglawprettyplease » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Yugihoe wrote:
Samarcan wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
d'oh.
Quick Q- when taking the MPT's and MEE"s do we know if we're allowed to flip arround between Q's? Like I know you only do MPT's in the morning and MEE"s in the afternoon, but say in the afternoon, can I switch between the 2nd and 4th essays, etc.? Or is it once you click next you're done?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Biglawprettyplease wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
Samarcan wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
d'oh.
Quick Q- when taking the MPT's and MEE"s do we know if we're allowed to flip arround between Q's? Like I know you only do MPT's in the morning and MEE"s in the afternoon, but say in the afternoon, can I switch between the 2nd and 4th essays, etc.? Or is it once you click next you're done?

You can switch back and forth, there's an arrow on your test screen that allows you to flip back and forth between the essays. You can do the same with the MPTs as well.

SowhatsNU

Bronze

Post by SowhatsNU » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Biglawprettyplease wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
Samarcan wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
d'oh.

You can switch back and forth, there's an arrow on your test screen that allows you to flip back and forth between the essays. You can do the same with the MPTs as well.

ooooo awesome! thanks for this^

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Post by OutoftheWoods » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Dumb question...how are we supposed to remember our Softest passwords if we can't bring in any written materials and "supposed" to go straight on softest and not open anything else? Are we at least allowed to look at something on our computer that lists our password?

When I took CA I think I just wrote it on my admittance ticket - but the NY ticket says explicitly do not write anything on it.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Dumb question...how are we supposed to remember our Softest passwords if we can't bring in any written materials and "supposed" to go straight on softest and not open anything else? Are we at least allowed to look at something on our computer that lists our password?

When I took CA I think I just wrote it on my admittance ticket - but the NY ticket says explicitly do not write anything on it.
they give it to you in the exam room

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

OutoftheWoods wrote:Dumb question...how are we supposed to remember our Softest passwords if we can't bring in any written materials and "supposed" to go straight on softest and not open anything else? Are we at least allowed to look at something on our computer that lists our password?

There is no password to remember for NY, the password will be given to you that day- if I remember correctly it was taped to your desk on some piece of paper or something...but I could be wrong because the bar was a blur lol..but I deff. don't remember having to memorize anything, it was given to you somehow.

MelaPela

New

Post by MelaPela » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Might be a dumb question, but we can take cash/credit cards/subway cards in our plastic bag, right?

This link doesn't list those items as permitted... http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf

applepie123

New

Post by applepie123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Does anyone know if Javits has a place where we could store our non-permitted belongings?
I can't imagine leaving home without my phone for a whole day :shock:

sam91

Bronze

Post by sam91 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

There is no password to remember for NY, the password will be given to you that day- if I remember correctly it was taped to your desk on some piece of paper or something...but I could be wrong because the bar was a blur lol..but I deff. don't remember having to memorize anything, it was given to you somehow.
^

Also, if you're thinking of your personal SoftTest password, those are not needed on exam day. Personal passwords are only needed for downloading exams. The MEE and MPT exams themselves have already been downloaded. We'll just need the password to start the exam which they will provide us.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:52 pm

applepie123 wrote:Does anyone know if Javits has a place where we could store our non-permitted belongings?
I can't imagine leaving home without my phone for a whole day :shock:
Yes - the "Final Exam Day Reminders" email we got this morning had information about where the personal belonging room is for each location.

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 pm

MelaPela wrote:Might be a dumb question, but we can take cash/credit cards/subway cards in our plastic bag, right?

This link doesn't list those items as permitted... http://www.nybarexam.org/Docs/secpolicy.pdf
That's right, check your inbox, the email with the title "Exam Day Reminders" says:

3. The only items you may bring into the exam room are those listed on the Board’s Security Policy as “Permitted Items.” You may carry cash, a credit card and keys with you on exam day.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:17 pm

PourMeTea wrote:Cold brew
I'm scared to drink anything bc bathroom...

also
Slytherpuff wrote:
I got this watch and it came the other day on sale and I love it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IG ... UTF8&psc=1

& MrTs earplugs are TCR. I've scoped it.

Bass

New

Post by Bass » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:42 pm

I was looking at the past essay questions and above average answers published by BOLE...

Just to be clear, because NY is now UBE, we don't have to say "The period for adverse possession in NY is ten years", or "under the NY Domestic Relations Law"...right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”