July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jd8585

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - The Wait Continues

Post by jd8585 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm

thinkingoutloud3015 wrote:
pvnyc wrote:
thinkingoutloud3015 wrote:
pvnyc wrote:I got the bar exam survey email for the 5th time now.... :(
Is it a link to the same survey each time?
yes.........this is killing me
Based on previous posts, there does not appear to be any link between how many survey requests you receive and whether or not you passed the bar. If I had to guess, it is probably a glitch.
If you take the survey, you'll stop getting the emails.

RustEShackleford

New

Post by RustEShackleford » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Had a dream last night/this morning that I got the results email, but the way they listed everything was incredibly dense and data-heavy. Like I knew somewhere in all of the graphs and percentile-relative indexes there was the answer to whether I passed or not, but spent dream hours pouring over this like 30 page packet. I remember debating whether or not to bring it into the office to ask my boss if he could figure out what it meant, and deciding that essentially telling him, "I'm not intelligent enough to tell whether I passed or failed" was a really bad look. Anyone else having results dreams?

For this is the first one where I get the results and something goes wrong, until now it's been like one night a week I'll dream that I'm walking out of the first day of the bar, knowing that I did just poorly enough that the MBE is going to have to do the heavy lifting score-wise, but hemming over whether to cram all night to try and grab some extra points or getting enough sleep to be alert for the test. Never been so stressed in my life.

Meowkitty

New

Post by Meowkitty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:55 pm

RustEShackleford wrote:Had a dream last night/this morning that I got the results email, but the way they listed everything was incredibly dense and data-heavy. Like I knew somewhere in all of the graphs and percentile-relative indexes there was the answer to whether I passed or not, but spent dream hours pouring over this like 30 page packet. I remember debating whether or not to bring it into the office to ask my boss if he could figure out what it meant, and deciding that essentially telling him, "I'm not intelligent enough to tell whether I passed or failed" was a really bad look. Anyone else having results dreams?

For this is the first one where I get the results and something goes wrong, until now it's been like one night a week I'll dream that I'm walking out of the first day of the bar, knowing that I did just poorly enough that the MBE is going to have to do the heavy lifting score-wise, but hemming over whether to cram all night to try and grab some extra points or getting enough sleep to be alert for the test. Never been so stressed in my life.
I had a super vivid results dream last night too. I ended up passing but it was also hard to read the results. They were broken down by part and not well labeled. I passed and half expected the email today about the survey was the results. Since the survey closes soon, I think th results will be on their way shortly. I’m predicting within a week.

RustEShackleford

New

Post by RustEShackleford » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:28 pm

By way of update: I called the BOLE and got a new answer. I asked if she knew whether results would be out this week, her response, "no, we haven't set a date yet." I guess the fact that the answer changed is at least less boring than, "definitely by mid-November."

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:34 pm

RustEShackleford wrote:By way of update: I called the BOLE and got a new answer. I asked if she knew whether results would be out this week, her response, "no, we haven't set a date yet." I guess the fact that the answer changed is at least less boring than, "definitely by mid-November."
refreshing this thread WAY too much but just wanna say King of the Hill is my favorite animated show of all time and your username just brought me so much joy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm

Re-taker here. I received a follow up to the completed surveys from the BOLE, asking whether I would be interested in participating in a focus group with other re-takers to assess diff. test prep strategies, etc. I completed the form and was selected... pretty random. Anyone else? :D

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

kc128 wrote:Re-taker here. I received a follow up to the completed surveys from the BOLE, asking whether I would be interested in participating in a focus group with other re-takers to assess diff. test prep strategies, etc. I completed the form and was selected... pretty random. Anyone else? :D
I hope they are paying you for this.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 pm

It is paid... $100 for 90 mins of my time, so figured why not? I haven't heard of this previously and completed the surveys from previous administrations.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:37 pm

kc128 wrote:It is paid... $100 for 90 mins of my time, so figured why not? I haven't heard of this previously and completed the surveys from previous administrations.
hot damn! wish I had gotten that e-mail then.

eta: tell them you know another willing participant ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Not a bad deal, right? I'm currently working but can fit it into my schedule so why not... I'm curious whether people were selected at random, whether it was people who previously responded to the surveys, etc. With that said, the idea of a group of re-takers thrown into a room within a week of results seems particularly anxiety inducing. I know my nerves are shot and I think we're in for the long haul until next Thursday :/

pra61391

Bronze

Post by pra61391 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Called BOLE earlier this afternoon and spoke with a representative. The following is our conversation:

Me- "On the BOLE website, it specifically states that the results of the July 2017 exam are expected to be released in late October or early November. Does this week qualify as 'late October?'"

BOLE Rep- "The results will not be released this week. That much, I know for sure."

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm

ugh. My bet is next Thurs/Friday around midnight. For recent administrations, they've synced to the date of the bar (i.e bar administered on 7/26, 7/27 released on one of those days in October or close enough). I don't think November has happened since like 2012.

pra61391

Bronze

Post by pra61391 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 pm

kc128 wrote:ugh. My bet is next Thurs/Friday around midnight. For recent administrations, they've synced to the date of the bar (i.e bar administered on 7/26, 7/27 released on one of those days in October or close enough). I don't think November has happened since like 2012.
Agreed. This is what I'm basing my prediction on:

https://www.excellenceinlawschool.com/w ... -released/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 pm

yep, and they predicted Feb. results correctly too... best of luck!

pra61391

Bronze

Post by pra61391 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Same to you.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:25 am

Meowkitty wrote:
RustEShackleford wrote:Had a dream last night/this morning that I got the results email, but the way they listed everything was incredibly dense and data-heavy. Like I knew somewhere in all of the graphs and percentile-relative indexes there was the answer to whether I passed or not, but spent dream hours pouring over this like 30 page packet. I remember debating whether or not to bring it into the office to ask my boss if he could figure out what it meant, and deciding that essentially telling him, "I'm not intelligent enough to tell whether I passed or failed" was a really bad look. Anyone else having results dreams?

I had a super vivid results dream last night too. I ended up passing but it was also hard to read the results. They were broken down by part and not well labeled. I passed and half expected the email today about the survey was the results. Since the survey closes soon, I think th results will be on their way shortly. I’m predicting within a week.
I had one stupid nightmare last week. I basically got an email and recieved a scaled score of...0 on MEE and MPT! And the email stated that the MBE would be out the next day. I called the bar constantly and demanded to know how it was possible I could achieve a 0 and they kept repeating "it happens, sorry, maybe you did well enough on the MBE to pass" (which is literally not possible of course), and I just kept calling again and again yelling and crying that I needed my essays re-read until one person finally answered and said "you knew you failed. stop calling"- then I woke up. Lovely.

Yazzzay

Bronze

Post by Yazzzay » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 am

Perhaps a little late to ask this but has anyone (third dept) not sent in their application yet? I live abroad and have been travelling alot, and now I'm trying to rush to get things notarized (for nearly $100 per signature >.<) and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until getting results or if this app can carry over to the Feb 2018 test, if necessary?

Also what is the "letter or notice of certification from the State Board of Law Examiners". Is this proof of us passing or what? Apparently we have to file this with our app but I can't figure out what it is?

Thanks in advance!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 am

Yazzzay wrote:Perhaps a little late to ask this but has anyone (third dept) not sent in their application yet? I live abroad and have been travelling alot, and now I'm trying to rush to get things notarized (for nearly $100 per signature >.<) and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until getting results or if this app can carry over to the Feb 2018 test, if necessary?

Also what is the "letter or notice of certification from the State Board of Law Examiners". Is this proof of us passing or what? Apparently we have to file this with our app but I can't figure out what it is?

Thanks in advance!
Haven't even started that app.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 am

I'm 2nd Dept. and completed the app but haven't sent any affidavits to former employers yet. I've heard other depts. are flexible w/ dates, but I didn't want to send them to employers and then not pass :oops:

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 am

Yazzzay wrote:Perhaps a little late to ask this but has anyone (third dept) not sent in their application yet? I live abroad and have been travelling alot, and now I'm trying to rush to get things notarized (for nearly $100 per signature >.<) and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting until getting results or if this app can carry over to the Feb 2018 test, if necessary?

Thanks in advance!
1) yep you'll get a letter in the mail saying you passed
2) I'm not in the 3rd department, but it's not like there's really a deadline for submitting your app (besides the fact that bar scores are only good for so long). I've heard tales of people not sending them for quite a while after they found out they passed. I personally would not be spending hundreds of dollars to do this, unless your employer insists that you submit ASAP.

eta: i know literally nothing about anything so take that with a big ol' grain of skepticism.

S.as.in.Snake

New

Post by S.as.in.Snake » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
eta: i know literally nothing about anything so take that with a big ol' grain of skepticism.
How I feel about the bar in one sentence

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kc128

Bronze

Post by kc128 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:58 am

S.as.in.Snake wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:
How I feel about the bar in one sentence
precisely.

RustEShackleford

New

Post by RustEShackleford » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks in advance!
$100 per signature seems incredibly steep. If you have any more left to get, try the nearest branch of your bank or the nearest law office or your last legal place of employment. It takes two seconds to notarize so you're not really inconveniencing anyone, sorry you got charged so much -- that's wack.

anabasis

New

Post by anabasis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

RustEShackleford wrote:

Thanks in advance!
$100 per signature seems incredibly steep. If you have any more left to get, try the nearest branch of your bank or the nearest law office or your last legal place of employment. It takes two seconds to notarize so you're not really inconveniencing anyone, sorry you got charged so much -- that's wack.
Notarizations abroad for a document to be used in the US are a lot more complicated. If you use a US Consulate, you will pay $50 for the notarization and/or $50 for authentication. Apostilles can run £30 in the UK. If you use a service, you pay a markup as well.

Knickerblocker

New

Post by Knickerblocker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 am

BOLE has changed the UBE portion of my BOLE account. It now shows a link to the registration for the feb 2018 UBE. Is that a bad sign? Change of address is also closed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”