July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread - Results Are Here!!! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Blackhawks_Fan

New

Re: July 2017 NY Bar Hangout Thread

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:02 am

cnk1220 wrote:Hey ya'll!

Feb 2017 taker here (first time) we got our results tonight, found out I passed! :)

Just some advice before you begin this miserable study journey... there will be ups and downs- I was crying halfway through bar prep, and I cried walking out of the exam, and in between days, you truly have no idea how you performed until results come out. I thought I bombed the MBE, found out I got a 150 MBE, 301 total.

Stick with it, practice essays/mbes, it will pay off!

Also, you might want to look into JD Advising's website- and her MEE "one sheets" I bought these (I'm in no way affiliated with the site)- but I found them very helpful to learn rule statements for the essays- especially if you haven't taken the MEE topics in law school. Also, her one sheets tell you WHEN each topic was tested going all the way back to the 1990s, so for example- you may realize that a specific issue within a certain topic that was just tested in F2017 (like firm offer/option K for contracts which we actually had) is probably not as likely to come up in J2017, as maybe a delegation issue (again just an example), but it illustrates my point.

Praying for you all, if I can be of any assistance to anyone please let me know!! I found this website helpful during my studies.

good luck! xo
Thank you, that's a really great tip about the one sheets. Will take your advice on that.
More importantly, congratulations on passing - yours was one of the names I was watching out for.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:10 am

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:

Feb 2017 taker here (first time) we got our results tonight, found out I passed! :)

Just some advice before you begin this miserable study journey... there will be ups and downs- I was crying halfway through bar prep, and I cried walking out of the exam, and in between days, you truly have no idea how you performed until results come out. I thought I bombed the MBE, found out I got a 150 MBE, 301 total.

Also, you might want to look into JD Advising's website- and her MEE "one sheets" I bought these (I'm in no way affiliated with the site)- but I found them very helpful to learn rule statements for the essays- especially if you haven't taken the MEE topics in law school. Also, her one sheets tell you WHEN each topic was tested going all the way back to the 1990s, so for example- you may realize that a specific issue within a certain topic that was just tested in F2017 (like firm offer/option K for contracts which we actually had) is probably not as likely to come up in J2017, as maybe a delegation issue (again just an example), but it illustrates my point.

Praying for you all, if I can be of any assistance to anyone please let me know!! I found this website helpful during my studies.

good luck! xo
Thank you, that's a really great tip about the one sheets. Will take your advice on that.
More importantly, congratulations on passing - yours was one of the names I was watching out for.

Thanks! it was a huge relief!!! i still have mascara streaked down my face from all the tears of joy.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:14 am

cnk1220 wrote:
Blackhawks_Fan wrote:

good luck! xo

Thanks! it was a huge relief!!! i still have mascara streaked down my face from all the tears of joy.
I took off my mascara already but agreed. Thank you

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks for the tips and congrats on passing!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Thanks for the tips and congrats on passing!

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Feb 2017 taker (first-time Pro Bono Scholar)

Did everything Barbri said (followed the schedule exactly). Did not do live class or live stream video, watched the pre-recorded videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed.
My schedule was basically 9-5 Mon-Sat / Sunday 9-12
Extra stuff I did was Emmanuel's MBE Book, lean sheets, critical pass flash cards.

Scored 293 (136 MEE - MPT / 157 MBE)

SOME TIPS:
Remember, you don't need to know 100 percent of everything. You need to get a D- on this thing to pass. If you hit 62 percent overall, with the curve that should get you to 68 percent, and therefore 266 out of 400. There were some topics I could never get (and still don't). Point is, don't spend time memorizing everything or trying to master everything.

For Barbri, expect to get your ass kicked. Essays sample answers ARE NOT REALISTIC, so don't worry if your answer is not close to the sample answer (mine was never close). According to Barbri's sample answer/checklist, I failed most my essays. Most of Barbri's MBEs question are harder than what you will see on game day.

Work hard and GOOD LUCK!! Opening that email and seeing congratulations is WORTH EVERY SECOND of bar prep.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Some more tips (because I'm bored and I like to help), hopefully this doesn't overwhelm anyone, but sometimes it's the little things that make a difference!

-If you're typing on MEE/MPT day, by default your examsoft is set to like 8pt microscopic font. Change this- you can do this when you do your mock exam- make it like 16 point font so the readers don't have to squint and are less likely to miss something you wrote. Remember they are reading close to 10,000 essays in July.

-Use bold/underline/italic on your buzz words in your essays, it'll make it stand out. After each essay I spent half a minute underlining/bolding a key word like "duty of care" and underlining the definition "good faith informed basis in the best interests of the corporation" - example.
If a rule has elements, bold each element- this will get the grader's attention.

-Use CIRAC. Some of the essays will ask you a direct question. Start your answer by actually answering the question, for example "Does X have a valid argument?"

Yes, X has a valid argument.
At issue is ...
Rule is... etc.

-Organize your MPT. Don't forget a header/intro!! This actually gets you points. Use CREAC (like you would a memo). Follow directions to a T, this also gets you points.

If i think of anything else I'll post here, if anyone wants some free outlines that I used PM me. :D

henbrag

New

Post by henbrag » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:24 am

Want to dispel some myths for future takers:

1) I got 5 separate survey emails and I passed

2) Results were released on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning slightly after midnight

3) File sizes of the PDF containing results are sometimes different on phones v. computers, so don't read into it - just open it

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:53 am

henbrag wrote:Want to dispel some myths for future takers:

1) I got 5 separate survey emails and I passed

2) Results were released on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning slightly after midnight

3) File sizes of the PDF containing results are sometimes different on phones v. computers, so don't read into it - just open it

I'll add one to that

4) applicant portal looks the same after results are released. I checked after I got my email and it still said UBE Registration (4/1-4/30)- so the current period, but shows the date I registered in November for the Feb. Exam. So don't freak out when you see the Feb. registration dates and think you failed!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:43 am

cnk1220 wrote:Some more tips (because I'm bored and I like to help), hopefully this doesn't overwhelm anyone, but sometimes it's the little things that make a difference!

-If you're typing on MEE/MPT day, by default your examsoft is set to like 8pt microscopic font. Change this- you can do this when you do your mock exam- make it like 16 point font so the readers don't have to squint and are less likely to miss something you wrote. Remember they are reading close to 10,000 essays in July.

-Use bold/underline/italic on your buzz words in your essays, it'll make it stand out. After each essay I spent half a minute underlining/bolding a key word like "duty of care" and underlining the definition "good faith informed basis in the best interests of the corporation" - example.
If a rule has elements, bold each element- this will get the grader's attention.

-Use CIRAC. Some of the essays will ask you a direct question. Start your answer by actually answering the question, for example "Does X have a valid argument?"

Yes, X has a valid argument.
At issue is ...
Rule is... etc.

-Organize your MPT. Don't forget a header/intro!! This actually gets you points. Use CREAC (like you would a memo). Follow directions to a T, this also gets you points.

If i think of anything else I'll post here, if anyone wants some free outlines that I used PM me. :D
USE THE DAMN CIRAC. I AM SO DAMN SERIOUS. I think my 30+ score was because of CIRAC than IRAC

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 pm

If anyone's looking for FREE MEE OUTLINES, check this website out: good way to learn the basics of confusing stuff (trusts). Commercial paper isn't tested on the UBE so don't bother downloading that!!

https://efficientbarprep.com/support/in ... tlines.29/

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:30 pm

cnk1220 wrote:If anyone's looking for FREE MEE OUTLINES, check this website out: good way to learn the basics of confusing stuff (trusts). Commercial paper isn't tested on the UBE so don't bother downloading that!!

https://efficientbarprep.com/support/in ... tlines.29/
Thanks for this!

Carly

New

Post by Carly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 pm

hey yall

failed the bar for the second time this feb (first time by 8 points, second time by 9 points). been working full time for a solo in bk for the last year who's a gem and has stood by my through 2 fails so im hoping to make him proud this third time around.

figured id join yall on this thread since ill be back for july and can hopefully make it over this stupid <10 point hump i cant seem to climb.

any repeat takers here? i used kaplan first time, private tutor second time. unsure what to do this third time around and would love some advice.

regardless- THIS WEATHER TODAY THO!?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Carly wrote:hey yall

failed the bar for the second time this feb (first time by 8 points, second time by 9 points). been working full time for a solo in bk for the last year who's a gem and has stood by my through 2 fails so im hoping to make him proud this third time around.

figured id join yall on this thread since ill be back for july and can hopefully make it over this stupid <10 point hump i cant seem to climb.

any repeat takers here? i used kaplan first time, private tutor second time. unsure what to do this third time around and would love some advice.

regardless- THIS WEATHER TODAY THO!?
Welcome and good luck! Third time's the charm!

hoosiernole

New

Post by hoosiernole » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 am

First post on TLS!

I've skimmed this thread and found it to be quite helpful. Thanks, everyone. I was surprised at the option of Saratoga Springs as a bar exam site. As an out-of-stater, I am planning on Buffalo at the moment because I hear Albany is not the best.

Since the February results are out (congrats to those who passed!) I looked at BOLE and noticed they changed the NYLC and NYLE information. Perhaps to make it harder? I am intending to take the June NYLE to get it out of the way.

from the BOLE website:
"(2) NEW YORK LAW EXAM

Please note that the New York Course Materials (NYCM) were updated in April 2017. Applicants for the New York Law Exam (NYLE) should use this latest version in preparing for the NYLE.

The next administration of the NYLE is on June 15, 2017. The deadline to complete the New York Law Course and register for the June 15, 2017 NYLE is May 16, 2017. Applicants who timely register with the Board to take the NYLE must also timely purchase, download and register the software with Examsoft. Examsoft will email applicants a few weeks before the date of the NYLE with all pertinent details and deadlines. The NYLE will also be held on September 14, 2017 and December 14, 2017."

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 am

hoosiernole wrote:First post on TLS!

I've skimmed this thread and found it to be quite helpful. Thanks, everyone. I was surprised at the option of Saratoga Springs as a bar exam site. As an out-of-stater, I am planning on Buffalo at the moment because I hear Albany is not the best.

Since the February results are out (congrats to those who passed!) I looked at BOLE and noticed they changed the NYLC and NYLE information. Perhaps to make it harder? I am intending to take the June NYLE to get it out of the way.

from the BOLE website:
"(2) NEW YORK LAW EXAM

Please note that the New York Course Materials (NYCM) were updated in April 2017. Applicants for the New York Law Exam (NYLE) should use this latest version in preparing for the NYLE.

The next administration of the NYLE is on June 15, 2017. The deadline to complete the New York Law Course and register for the June 15, 2017 NYLE is May 16, 2017. Applicants who timely register with the Board to take the NYLE must also timely purchase, download and register the software with Examsoft. Examsoft will email applicants a few weeks before the date of the NYLE with all pertinent details and deadlines. The NYLE will also be held on September 14, 2017 and December 14, 2017."

I believe they are trying to make it harder- i took it the first time they had it (may '16), I finished in 45 mins (you get 2 hours), everyone I know who took it felt it was verbatim of the NYLC outline. They probably realized the pass rate was too high and have made it harder.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 am

Slytherpuff wrote:Thanks for the tips and congrats on passing!
I see you've ventured into the jungle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:56 am

Just an FYI- there are some websites that will post MEE predictions for the exam- take these with a grain of salt.

Personally I hammered all areas of civ pro and con law- and both were predicted to come on the F2017 exam, there's a rumor that they always test civ pro- instead we got Contracts which totally threw me. I didn't expect to see both corporations and agency (since they're somewhat under the same umbrella of business associations, and yet there they were in separate essays). Thought we would get at least one essay on the evidence/crim law/crim pro group...but nothing!

Nothing is predictable with the NCBE.

WaitingforNJ25

New

Post by WaitingforNJ25 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

cnk1220 wrote:Just an FYI- there are some websites that will post MEE predictions for the exam- take these with a grain of salt.

Personally I hammered all areas of civ pro and con law- and both were predicted to come on the F2017 exam, there's a rumor that they always test civ pro- instead we got Contracts which totally threw me. I didn't expect to see both corporations and agency (since they're somewhat under the same umbrella of business associations, and yet there they were in separate essays). Thought we would get at least one essay on the evidence/crim law/crim pro group...but nothing!

Nothing is predictable with the NCBE.

The only thing predictable is how you go back and forth from "I failed..." "I passed..." "I could have failed..." "I could have passed..." "I don't care..." "I do care..." "give my my result..." "I don't want my result..." "I'm okay taking the next bar exam..." "fml I don't wanna do this again..."

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Congrats again to all the February passers - I just wanted to ask if you could slow down on the tips for another month or so. Most of us are 3Ls who won't even start studying until the week of May 21 and your advice will be a lot more useful later on!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:43 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
hoosiernole wrote:First post on TLS!

from the BOLE website:
"(2) NEW YORK LAW EXAM

I believe they are trying to make it harder- i took it the first time they had it (may '16), I finished in 45 mins (you get 2 hours), everyone I know who took it felt it was verbatim of the NYLC outline. They probably realized the pass rate was too high and have made it harder.
First of all welcome hoosiernole and thank you because I would not have seen that. And God cnk I really hope you're wrong. :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Congrats again to all the February passers - I just wanted to ask if you could slow down on the tips for another month or so. Most of us are 3Ls who won't even start studying until the week of May 21 and your advice will be a lot more useful later on!
Agreed actually thanks again slytherpuff and congrats to the feb passers but right now I think a lot of our brains are turned off. Always thank you though for feedback all... there's just a lot of moving parts right now and I at least personally need to put the bar stuff on hold for a minute in order to graduate. So much for 3LOL. Kudos to all that did this properly.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Ooops sorry ya'll I keep forgetting it's still april!!! (maybe b/c it was SO NICE OUT TODAY).

Enjoy what's left of 3LOL and your post-grad trips!

Blackhawks_Fan

New

Post by Blackhawks_Fan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 pm

Joy wrote:
Sprout wrote:Okay I super lagged on doing my application online (because I was working on my application for accommodations which was of course denied) but I finally did it. I'm confused though. I completed it, but did not have to upload a transcript and haven't received any follow up emails or anything. What am I missing? :?
Same here for the application, I didn't have to upload transcript either, maybe because I'm a foreign trained lawyer or so. For the accommodation, can anyone recommend a reasonable place in Albany? I'll be travelling from London and given the jet-lag and all, I plan to be in Albany perhaps at least a few days ahead. In terms of preparation, how long do you guys think it would take? I'll be free for full time prep from 20 May, would it be too tight? I'm so nervous.
Welcome, Joy.
Hope the link below works - it's from the BOLE site. Should direct you to a list of Albany accommodation. Still says Feb17, but the hotels etc still applicable.

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

Joy

New

Post by Joy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks blackhawks_fan!!

Cheers!

Blackhawks_Fan wrote:
Joy wrote:
Sprout wrote:Okay I super lagged on doing my application online (because I was working on my application for accommodations which was of course denied) but I finally did it. I'm confused though. I completed it, but did not have to upload a transcript and haven't received any follow up emails or anything. What am I missing? :?
Same here for the application, I didn't have to upload transcript either, maybe because I'm a foreign trained lawyer or so. For the accommodation, can anyone recommend a reasonable place in Albany? I'll be travelling from London and given the jet-lag and all, I plan to be in Albany perhaps at least a few days ahead. In terms of preparation, how long do you guys think it would take? I'll be free for full time prep from 20 May, would it be too tight? I'm so nervous.
Welcome, Joy.
Hope the link below works - it's from the BOLE site. Should direct you to a list of Albany accommodation. Still says Feb17, but the hotels etc still applicable.

https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamSites/ExamSites.htm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”