2017 DC Bar - July Edition - SWEAR IN DEC 4/5! Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

How many times will you refresh the court webpage prior to 1pm Thursday?

PASSED! YES!
80%
See you in February : (
20%
Nope. I'm done with this.
No votes

Total votes: 30

ConfusedL1

Bronze

2017 DC Bar - July Edition - SWEAR IN DEC 4/5!

Post by ConfusedL1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:10 am

Checking in!
Last edited by ConfusedL1 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.

guyindfw

New

Re: 2017 DC Bar - July Edition

Post by guyindfw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:43 pm

I am planning to take the DC bar this July. Did the Feb exam go smoothly? There were some issues in July 2016 (three hour delay) so am bit worried.

goodxkarma

New

Post by goodxkarma » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 pm

guyindfw wrote:I am planning to take the DC bar this July. Did the Feb exam go smoothly? There were some issues in July 2016 (three hour delay) so am bit worried.
A friend of mine took both the July 2016 and February 2017 DC Bar exams, and she said February went off without a hitch.

LaShuanMichelle

New

Post by LaShuanMichelle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 am

Checking in... just started studying using Kaplan. I graduated in 2015, so I'm a little nervous about the 2 year delay but am hopeful that if I follow & Complete the full bar prep program I will be in good shape.

Just started review the threads in this forum looking for tips & study groups... please feel free to point me in the right direction...

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi guys, just chiming in.

I am taking the DC bar this July also. I failed VA twice but scored above 133 on the MBE both times, so I'm transferring my MBE score to DC in hopes that focusing only on the essays will help me get a passing score. Does anyone have any advice on which study materials to use for the MEEs and MPTs? I used Kaplan the first time and self studied with Adaptibar the second time. Totally clueless on what to use this time around since I'm not familiar with the UBE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mlee001

New

Post by mlee001 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm

lgp876 wrote:Hi guys, just chiming in.

I am taking the DC bar this July also. I failed VA twice but scored above 133 on the MBE both times, so I'm transferring my MBE score to DC in hopes that focusing only on the essays will help me get a passing score. Does anyone have any advice on which study materials to use for the MEEs and MPTs? I used Kaplan the first time and self studied with Adaptibar the second time. Totally clueless on what to use this time around since I'm not familiar with the UBE.
I've seen Studicata mentioned on these forums several times for the MEE. Seems to have pretty positive reviews. Thoughts?

Here's the sample I've seen: http://[link redacted]/CVMg5F

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am

mlee001 wrote:

I've seen Studicata mentioned on these forums several times for the MEE. Seems to have pretty positive reviews. Thoughts?

Here's the sample I've seen: http://[link redacted]/CVMg5F
Please PM me. We can pool up to buy some of these outlines.

Also PM me if interested in communicating while studying. (study buddy)

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Wed May 03, 2017 10:12 am

Hope all of you have submitted the application. Today is the deadline without late fees.

those studying for your finals, good luck.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Is that possible? If I passed FL in 2015, I would LOVE to send my MBE score from that administration to NY for the UBE. I didn't think I was allowed to do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 pm

lolabear727 wrote:

Is that possible? If I passed FL in 2015, I would LOVE to send my MBE score from that administration to NY for the UBE. I didn't think I was allowed to do that.
DC allows this, but I don't think NY does.

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:39 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Hmm.. maybe I should have taken the UBE somewhere else. Now it's too late to apply for the DC bar.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Wed May 03, 2017 12:40 pm

You likely already know this, but MPT is more important in DC than in other UBE jurisdictions.

In other UBE states like NY, the score breakdown is MBE (50%), MEE (30%), and MPT (20%).

But in DC, it is MBC (50%), MEE (25%), and MPT (25%).

Good luck :)

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Wed May 03, 2017 12:42 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Hmm.. maybe I should have taken the UBE somewhere else. Now it's too late to apply for the DC bar.
Well, but if you transfer your MBE score to DC, then you don't earn a portable UBE score. As long as you get 133 or higher on the essay portion, you pass and can get barred in DC, but nowhere else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PunkWonkMike

New

Post by PunkWonkMike » Wed May 03, 2017 1:05 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Well, but if you transfer your MBE score to DC, then you don't earn a portable UBE score. As long as you get 133 or higher on the essay portion, you pass and can get barred in DC, but nowhere else.

PunkWonkMike

New

Post by PunkWonkMike » Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:
RetakeFrenzy wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:

Also, I think there is a time limit (one year, maybe?) that your previous successful MBE in another jurisdiction can be used in DC.

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:15 pm

RetakeFrenzy wrote:

You likely already know this, but MPT is more important in DC than in other UBE jurisdictions.

In other UBE states like NY, the score breakdown is MBE (50%), MEE (30%), and MPT (20%).

But in DC, it is MBC (50%), MEE (25%), and MPT (25%).

Good luck :)

No, I had no idea about the MPT score in DC. Thought the breakdown was the same in all the UBE states. This gives me hope!

Thanks for sharing :)

guyindfw

New

Post by guyindfw » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:11 pm

Did one receive any mail from DCBar admissions? I received an email and the website now says "approved to sit for UBE exam"

1. When can we install the examsoft on laptop?
2. When will we get the exam tickets?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:45 am

guyindfw wrote:Did one receive any mail from DCBar admissions? I received an email and the website now says "approved to sit for UBE exam"

I took the February 2017 DC bar and received a letter in the mail in mid-January saying that my application to sit for the exam had been approved. The letter also contained my Exam ID # and indicated that the exam admission ticket would come 2 weeks before the exam. As for exam software, they used Exam4 rather than examsoft. I can't speak to exactly when we were allowed to purchase our software license, because when I went online to purchase the license, I found out that the bar only approves a specified number of laptop takers and all licenses had been purchased. I was fortunate that the bar later allowed for more licenses to be issued, so I was able to get one of them. My words of advice would be to monitor the admission committee's website as well as the Exam4 site so you don't miss out on the opportunity to take the essay portion of the exam on your laptop.

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 pm

No_name wrote:
guyindfw wrote:Did one receive any mail from DCBar admissions? I received an email and the website now says "approved to sit for UBE exam"

I took the February 2017 DC bar and received a letter in the mail in mid-January saying that my application to sit for the exam had been approved. The letter also contained my Exam ID # and indicated that the exam admission ticket would come 2 weeks before the exam. As for exam software, they used Exam4 rather than examsoft. I can't speak to exactly when we were allowed to purchase our software license, because when I went online to purchase the license, I found out that the bar only approves a specified number of laptop takers and all licenses had been purchased. I was fortunate that the bar later allowed for more licenses to be issued, so I was able to get one of them. My words of advice would be to monitor the admission committee's website as well as the Exam4 site so you don't miss out on the opportunity to take the essay portion of the exam on your laptop.
Um, wtf. If I have to write essays by hand I'm going to be pisssseeeedddd.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Does anyone know where we are supposed to submit the second law school certification? I graduated after the filing deadline.

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:31 pm

ConfusedL1 wrote:
No_name wrote:

Um, wtf. If I have to write essays by hand I'm going to be pisssseeeedddd.
Today, I received the email below for the admissions committee. Not sure why I received it as I passed the February exam, but laptop registration for the July exam is now open. Don't wait, and miss getting one of the Exam4 licenses.

Dear Applicant,

Laptop registration for the essay portion of the July 2017 DC Bar Examination is now open.

To take the exam by laptop, you must register at https://www.exam4.com/org/827 using the same email address as in your online application (to which this email is addressed). The fee is $225 and registration is open through Friday June 23, 2017. (Late registration will be available until Sunday, June 25, 2017, with an additional late fee of $70.)

Note for applicants who do not have a US Social Security Number (SSN): The laptop registration asks for part of an SSN to verify your identity. If you do not have an SSN, please use the last 4-digits of your phone number where asked for last 4-digits of SSN.

Please contact Exam4 Support if you have any questions or need support with the software by completing and submitting the form at the bottom of the page at https://www.exam4.com/support/.

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guyindfw1

New

Post by guyindfw1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Today is the last day of laptop signup. (Sunday with late fees)

lgp876

New

Post by lgp876 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:52 am

Hi guys,

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm new to the whole DC/UBE bar exam process. Does anyone know their policy on transferring your application to sit for the Feb 2018 in the event you end up not taking the July exam? I just called DC admissions and was told that the entire fee - C&F, registration, exam4 - is nonrefundable/non transferable but was told something different by NCBE when I called earlier this week.

Family issues have prevented me from focusing on my studies this summer and I'm not confident that I'll be fully prepared come exam day. Losing an additional $225 laptop fee should I decide not to take it in July may just be the determining factor.

Thank you!

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Hey everyone, just got a letter from NCBE that my C+F app was deficient (apparently I didn't sufficiently describe what I did in my unemployment periods :roll: ) but I haven't been able to reach anyone at NCBE all day. The letter is dated the 18th and says I only have 10 days to respond--anyone else gotten one of these? If so, what forms did you use to cure the deficiency?

JustaQ

New

Post by JustaQ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm

So do we need a 133 minimum on the MBE and a 133 on the essays or just a 266 overall?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”