NY Bar Exam - February 2017 - Release Date Predictions Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PersistentAttorney

Bronze

Re: NY Bar Exam - February 2017 - Release Date Predictions

Post by PersistentAttorney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:13 am

TheJuryMustDie wrote:
PersistentAttorney wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:
gladiator0flaw11 wrote:
TheJuryMustDie wrote:Failed with terrible essays! 134 MBE. So heartbroken :( . Don't think I have the will to go again. I'm a terribly slow writer. I don't know how I can improve my essay scores.
I'm sorry to hear, I'm likely in the same boat. Mind sharing what the e-mail text said? = (
The first line is just so heart wrenching. "You are hereby notified that you did not pass the New York State bar examination"............

Yes.. it is scary. I :cry:
Congratulations Happyhour! I hope I get to feel the joy of passing like you someday..
Cut this "I don't think I have the will" crap and start preparing for your next attempt! You spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and so many years of your life to quit now?? I know how you can improve your essays: Write 60 of them! I have an idea on how to improve your MBE too: Answer and review 1500 questions!

Your current MBE is more than enough to convince you to do it again! YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS! I BET MY ASS THAT COMING NOVEMBER YOU WILL BE POSTING HERE SAYING: "I FUCKEN* did it!"

*(happyhour influence)

Cowards quit and you are not one. It takes courage and strength to be in this thread congratulating others who passed when you haven't!
When I failed in my first attempt I just couldn't. For this you have my RESPECT!
PersistentAttorney, many congratulations on passing the bar and thanks for that little kick. In fact, I don't actually know how to quite. You could say I'm too determined for my own good. But I just find my England–US back and forth bar endeavours so mentally, emotionally and financially draining. In truth, I can't say I have actually really dedicated more than whole month for the exam. I have always worked full time with a young family. My last MBE score was actually better than this, but my essays have always been embarrassingly appalling.

Thanks again for the nudge and do enjoy this moment, I can only imagine how joyous you must be. Mucho gracias.
Trust me I totally get where you're coming from. I'm English law educated too and I have incurred a lot of debt for this endeavour. I have been working full time too and with my father being hospitalised with cancer for more than 5 months in the past 12 months (2 of which in intensive care).

If I could do it, so can you. Study in the weekends and before and after work. Study while commuting, while having lunch, WHENEVER. Your MBE score compels you to do it again.

It's hard but this feeling you have now will only last if you don't take the exam again. The little time you invested in this is reflected on your essays. But your ability to pass on your MBE. Put in the time and you'll have no problem passing in July.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am

happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:puremorning and bills where are you? I think she passed out after trivia
Where are they...
I didn't pass and my fiance took my computer away from me after that :-/

I feel like crap today and cried on the bus on the way in to work, but I'll be ok because I don't need this for my job. The next time I can retake due to scheduling and whatnot is July 2018, so I think I'm just going to throw in the towel now. I was a poor law student, and doing this again and again isn't any good for my finances or mental health.

If any retakers just want someone to chat to who knows what they're going through and to freak out during the next administration, I'll still be there for you. I got a 255 so I couldn't even transfer my score to any state, but it's ok (that's my mantra for today, it's going to be ok, it's going to be ok). Just know you aren't the only one walking around with raccoon eyes today and a headache from crying and clenching your teeth to keep from crying.

PersistentAttorney

Bronze

Post by PersistentAttorney » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:51 am

puremorning wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:puremorning and bills where are you? I think she passed out after trivia
Where are they...

I feel like crap today and cried on the bus on the way in to work, but I'll be ok because I don't need this for my job. The next time I can retake due to scheduling and whatnot is July 2018, so I think I'm just going to throw in the towel now. I was a poor law student, and doing this again and again isn't any good for my finances or mental health.

If any retakers just want someone to chat to who knows what they're going through and to freak out during the next administration, I'll still be there for you. I got a 255 so I couldn't even transfer my score to any state, but it's ok (that's my mantra for today, it's going to be ok, it's going to be ok). Just know you aren't the only one walking around with raccoon eyes today and a headache from crying and clenching your teeth to keep from crying.
Please do me a small favor and read my answers to TheJuryMustDie below (or above - depending on the sorting). Please Please Please don't give up. It's worth trying as many times necessary to succeed. Don't underestimate yourself. Please

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am

PersistentAttorney wrote:c

Please do me a small favor and read my answers to TheJuryMustDie below (or above - depending on the sorting). Please Please Please don't give up. It's worth trying as many times necessary to succeed. Don't underestimate yourself. Please
Aww thanks for the vote of confidence. It's really ok. I've kind of found this little niche field for myself in Title IX work in higher ed, and I have an MSW so the combo really works for me. I will re-evaluate in 2018 and 2019. I have a TIX training during the J17 administration, and I'm getting married in December, so there's no way I'm ruining that happy time for myself by studying for the F18 bar. I am proud of what I've accomplished, I was working full-time and I followed through with this promise to myself that I would take this. The only reason I'm crying and beating myself up is because I'm comparing myself to others I know, so I need to push past that and remember that what I'm doing is best for me, and if I choose to retake it I will and I will kick its ass that time.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

puremorning wrote:

Aww thanks for the vote of confidence. It's really ok. I've kind of found this little niche field for myself in Title IX work in higher ed, and I have an MSW so the combo really works for me. I will re-evaluate in 2018 and 2019. I have a TIX training during the J17 administration, and I'm getting married in December, so there's no way I'm ruining that happy time for myself by studying for the F18 bar. I am proud of what I've accomplished, I was working full-time and I followed through with this promise to myself that I would take this. The only reason I'm crying and beating myself up is because I'm comparing myself to others I know, so I need to push past that and remember that what I'm doing is best for me, and if I choose to retake it I will and I will kick its ass that time.

Aww puremorning, I'm sorry <3 you will be ok!! xoxo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HopefulSara101

Bronze

Post by HopefulSara101 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:04 am

puremorning wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Where are they...

As a 4th time taker, I get what u are struggling with! Please, PM me if u need someone to vent to! I would be happy to be an ear. Honestly, unless u have been through it, u dont get it.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:07 am

puremorning wrote:

hey puremorning,
we are here for you. If you need any help let us know. First pick yourself back up (its going to be ok), request the scoring and lets figure out how we can make this work in July.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am

happyhour1122 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:omg did everyone pass?????????????????
PASSED LIKE NINJA!!!

yay!!!!!!!!!!!
Tried PMing you but said you have disabled PMs..
trying to figure out whats going on...

HopefulSara101

Bronze

Post by HopefulSara101 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:08 am

PASSED!!

As a 4th time taker who has finaly passed, for any of you out there who didn't get the news u wanted, know you can do it!! If you want it badly enough and persist, it is yours!

Also, I am here for anyone who wants to talk to someone who has "been there." Honestly, talking to people who haven't is hard. They try. But don't get it. I am here! Please PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 am

happyhour1122 wrote:
hey puremorning,
we are here for you. If you need any help let us know. First pick yourself back up (its going to be ok), request the scoring and lets figure out how we can make this work in July.
Thanks guys :-) it really means a lot. I'm def going to request the scoring, and then take a little break from this all. J18 might be a go, and summers are pretty slow on a college campus so I could probably even arrange for time off next time around. Congrats to all who passed, everyone on this board worked really hard.

justwanttobealawyer

New

Post by justwanttobealawyer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 am

I can't even fully read this thread. I'm so tired and haven't slept all night. I'm so happy for all of you guys who passed seriously i hope its me one day!

if any of you have suggestions for me please help. Also I know there are some people on here who are based in Europe. Seriously considering leaving NY for a few months and staying with a friend in London to study- NY is suffocating me right now- any guidance on that would be great too. Please PM me. I don't even know where to start

HopefulSara101

Bronze

Post by HopefulSara101 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:32 am

justwanttobealawyer wrote:I can't even fully read this thread. I'm so tired and haven't slept all night. I'm so happy for all of you guys who passed seriously i hope its me one day!

if any of you have suggestions for me please help. Also I know there are some people on here who are based in Europe. Seriously considering leaving NY for a few months and staying with a friend in London to study- NY is suffocating me right now- any guidance on that would be great too. Please PM me. I don't even know where to start

As a 4th time taker who finally passed to say "i get how u feel" is an understatement. Have felt it 3 times before. Please PM me for an understanding ear if u need one!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 am

HopefulSara101 wrote:PASSED!!

As a 4th time taker who has finaly passed, for any of you out there who didn't get the news u wanted, know you can do it!! If you want it badly enough and persist, it is yours!

Also, I am here for anyone who wants to talk to someone who has "been there." Honestly, talking to people who haven't is hard. They try. But don't get it. I am here! Please PM me!
CONGRATS!!!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HopefulSara101

Bronze

Post by HopefulSara101 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:48 am

maxmartin wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!!!
Thank yoy!!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am

44% overall pass rate (1,822/4,162).

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am

HopefulSara101 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:

CONGRATS!!!!!!
Thank yoy!!

Congrats sara!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:23 am

uclapookie09 wrote:
Klb220 wrote:I'm so sad I failed by 4 points I can't stop crying I don't even know where to start. I don't have barbri anymore does anyone recommend something else for me.
Try Emmanuel MBE book and critical pass. I used those while working full time. I feel they really helped. My MBE score was a 157, much higher than when I took it in California on barbri alone.
That is awesome! I think I may try out the Emmanuel MBE and Critical Pass. This time I was going back and forth in deciding if I wanted to stick with Adaptibar or try something else. AB worked for me for FL, but I definitely didn't use it as much as I should have.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:27 am

So happy for you, Sara!! Yes! There is nothing more powerful for retakers then to know that your time will come even though you may feel devastated. I had to retake FL after my first attempt after failing by 1 point. The next time I killed it. I didn't pass NY this time around but I'm happy with my performance and I'm feeling excited for July! I hope people see your story and don't give up. There is room for everyone!!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

cnk1220 wrote:
downhillfromhere wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:OMG I PASSED!!!!!
What was your score?

301 total, 150 mbe
this was my first time taking.
Dang! 150 on your MBE. Girl, you killed it!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am

lolabear727 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
downhillfromhere wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:OMG I PASSED!!!!!
What was your score?

301 total, 150 mbe
this was my first time taking.
Dang! 150 on your MBE. Girl, you killed it!

thanks beary! I just emailed you :)

jir92

Bronze

Post by jir92 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:52 am

When does the public lookup get posted

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:53 am

jir92 wrote:When does the public lookup get posted

tomorrow 4/27.

TheJuryMustDie

Bronze

Post by TheJuryMustDie » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 am

puremorning wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Where are they...

Thanks for that PersistentAttorney! Very well appreciated. I'll soldier on regardless. Hoping to make July my last one.

Finally_Passed

New

Post by Finally_Passed » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 pm

I have been reading this thread for about a week now and sharing in the emotional roller coaster. I passed (271/143 MBE). It took me three tries. I scored a 123 on the MBE the first try and 119 on the second (brutal, I know). Here's what made all the difference this time:

I tried a new review course. I think they are probably all fine, but I needed a fresh approach (Kaplan first two times, BarBri this time). Here's what changed- I did NOT re-watch the videos. Been there, done that. This time, if I was to watch 3 hours of Contracts, I spent the time reading the outline and doing the AMP questions online. I needed a hands-on approach, that was clear. The only way I was going to pass was to do an insane number of questions. I practiced essays EVERY day. At least one- sometimes 3. I mostly outlined them. In the beginning, I used the outlines from the books. Then I memorized the rules in a way that would allow me to write the essays. I used the flashcards you can buy online- but only the really important ones.

The best thing I did? Used the Bar Examiner's MBE Exams. I bought EVERY SINGLE one and did 25 questions at a time, studying all of the responses. No matter what the test prep companies tell you, their questions are NOT the same. I recognized that both times I failed and I felt like it threw me. But mostly, I didn't know enough law on those first two tries- not because I didn't put in the hours, but because I had studied WRONG. For me the videos were a waste of time. I needed the applied learning involved in the AMP questions, Examiner's MBE questions, and practice essays. I did them until I wanted to throw up.

I had to modify the big study program because of how I learn. There are only so many hours in a day. And only so many attempts before our sanity breaks.

If you failed, the next two weeks (ish) are going to be hard. But then there is a period of acceptance, and then a reflection of what might have gone wrong and what might have gone right. And then there's the decision of whether to give it another go. This was my last attempt. I knew it going in the exam room. It's okay to take it again or not to take it again. All your work was not in vain, your hard work shows great character and for that you should be very proud. I had intended to celebrate the results today, whether I passed or not. Because at least we know. What we do with that information is up to us and is a personal decision. I wish you all the best, no matter what you choose. I have ended up in an odd career for me (corporate banking- I'm an environmental law geek). I wouldn't be here if I hadn't failed the bar those two times. And I love where I work and what I do. Sometimes these things just have a way of working themselves out...

keepgoing2016

New

Post by keepgoing2016 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:22 pm

So pleased for you, well done!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”