Are you getting a hotel for the bar? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
proleteriate

New

Are you getting a hotel for the bar?

Post by proleteriate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:41 pm

It's going to be like $400, and I get why it's nice. But for those of us within driving distance to the test site, why not just get an uber? that way you won't have to worry about parking (the biggest headache i can think of).

albanach

Gold

Re: Are you getting a hotel for the bar?

Post by albanach » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:41 pm

proleteriate wrote:It's going to be like $400, and I get why it's nice. But for those of us within driving distance to the test site, why not just get an uber? that way you won't have to worry about parking (the biggest headache i can think of).
I wasn't within driving distance, so a hotel was a must. Still I stayed 20 minutes away and saved a ton. The important thing is having a backup plan to get there; what if Uber lets you down? Sounds like you could drive in those circumstances though.

Decide in advance when you need to get the Uber (factoring in time if there's a traffic accident or something) and setting a time at which you'll jump in your own car.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I would be a nervous wreck relying on driving myself or an uber. Finding parking, mechanical problems, traffic, etc. I would really suggest just getting a hotel room within walking distance of the exam or at a hotel that has a shuttle service to the exam (which was the case for me). It's one less thing you need to worry about. If money is really an obstacle, I'd suggest leaving several hours early just in case the worst happens.

deference

New

Post by deference » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm

OP, depends on how much value/premium you put on certainty. I'm a highly rise averse person and always think about the worst case scenario, so I went ahead and booked a hotel within 20 min walking distance of the testing area. With driving, you really may never know what will happen on the road.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:29 pm

proleteriate wrote:It's going to be like $400, and I get why it's nice. But for those of us within driving distance to the test site, why not just get an uber? that way you won't have to worry about parking (the biggest headache i can think of).
Just make your life easy and spend some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Keep in mind that some states don't allow you to have a cell phone, even if it's turned off, which can make uber problematic. Also, the Bar is a stressful experience, and it's incredibly nice to literally not have anything to worry about (other than the exam) for a few days. I think I spent $800 in total on a hotel for the CBX and it was worth every penny.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 pm

I'm all about shortcuts, and finding ways to be frugal, but I dropped all the $$$ I needed to during the Bar on a decent direct flight, hotel, and cab to and from exam.

Considering the pitfalls if god forbid something happened (another bar class, registration fee, more travel expenses, decrease in salary in interim) it was a no-brainer

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:47 pm

if you think you may want peace of mind/ one less thing to worry about on bar exam days, then get the hotel. IF you look early enough, you may be able to save some m oney.

I got a hotel room within 20 minutes walking distance of my bar exam location, and I must say it was super nice being able to not have to worry about anything other than the bar exam. Because one less thing to think about is one less distraction you'll have to deal with.

lawhopeful100

Bronze

Post by lawhopeful100 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

I drove from my apartment about 15-20 minutes when I took the bar and it wasn't a big deal. I just left early and gave myself plenty of time. I think if I lived 45 minutes or so I would have gotten a hotel near the testing site.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:02 am

I lived 20 miles from from the test site so I got a hotel nearby for the Texas Bar Exam. It was totally worth it. I even stayed an extra night once the exam was finished. The bar is mentally exhausting. Spend the money on a hotel room.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”