NY July 2017 Bar-Barbri Timeline Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
beckygirl

New

NY July 2017 Bar-Barbri Timeline

Post by beckygirl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:57 am

Apologies if this has been asked before but I looked all over Barbri and can't find the answer- When does their "schedule" begin for bar prep? I planned a vacation from May 4-May 14. I graduate May 19, and was planning on starting May 22 (a Monday). Now I'm panicking and thinking I should just cancel the vacation...

I studied outside of NY (California law school) and don't know anyone who has taken the new NY bar so would appreciate some feedback on the schedule. Thanks so much.

Itwasluck

New

Re: NY July 2017 Bar-Barbri Timeline

Post by Itwasluck » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:52 am

i think Barbri started last week in May this past summer. I missed the entire first week of the program because I was on vacation. I worked a little extra the next few weeks to catch up. I ended up passing by a wide margin. Someone should be able to weigh in with actual dates for this year though

nyclawgrad16

New

Post by nyclawgrad16 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 am

You should be fine. I graduated 5/20/16 and Barbri started on the 24th. Enjoy your vacation!

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:51 am

Relax. Go on your vacation. Bar prep is designed to be 2 months long, so you're fine.

That said, I personally would rather have gone on vacay AFTER the bar, but it's whatever :D

beckygirl

New

Post by beckygirl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback, all- feeling a little better now!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:30 pm

If you were my sister (or a daughter) I would not let you go on your vacation if your law school gpa was below 3.0. Not saying people with 3.0 are incapable, I think its safer to start earlier than others. I regret not doing this. Its my personal opinion. That being said, if its above, don't think about the bar til 24th of May.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:55 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:If you were my sister (or a daughter) I would not let you go on your vacation if your law school gpa was below 3.0. Not saying people with 3.0 are incapable, I think its safer to start earlier than others. I regret not doing this. Its my personal opinion. That being said, if its above, don't think about the bar til 24th of May.
What does gender have to do with it? You wouldn't "let" her?

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:If you were my sister (or a daughter) I would not let you go on your vacation if your law school gpa was below 3.0. Not saying people with 3.0 are incapable, I think its safer to start earlier than others. I regret not doing this. Its my personal opinion. That being said, if its above, don't think about the bar til 24th of May.
Why so sensitive.
I assumed the OP was a female based on "beckygirl". That's why I said if you were "my sister or..."

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:20 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Why so sensitive.
I assumed the OP was a female based on "beckygirl". That's why I said if you were "my sister or..."
Again, you wouldn't "let" her do this if she were related to you? Do you not see any issue with saying you would try to control her if she was your sister or daughter? Maybe your intentions were good, but you could have framed it more like "I wouldn't recommend going on vacation if your GPA is below 3.0" instead of making it about her gender.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

butlerraider1

Bronze

Post by butlerraider1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Anyways, what is the first weekend like workload wise? As of now, I'm planning on missing a wedding (don't even know the couple personally, but my whole family is going). It's on the Saturday of Memorial Day and on the west coast (I'm in NY). Right move? Or can I miss the first weekend of studying?

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Why so sensitive.
Again, you wouldn't "let" her do this if she were related to you? Do you not see any issue with saying you would try to control her if she was your sister or daughter? Maybe your intentions were good, but you could have framed it more like "I wouldn't recommend going on vacation if your GPA is below 3.0" instead of making it about her gender.

I don't think "gender" was your point. I think you are offended that I said I would not "let" my sister go for a vacation if her grades were below 3.0. Unless, your are you saying its ok to say "I wouldn't let my brother (or my son) go for a vacation" LOL

Not sure what you are trying to say....but not very interested.

beckygirl

New

Post by beckygirl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:44 am

happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Why so sensitive.

I don't think "gender" was your point. I think you are offended that I said I would not "let" my sister go for a vacation if her grades were below 3.0. Unless, your are you saying its ok to say "I wouldn't let my brother (or my son) go for a vacation" LOL

Lol this was entertaining. Admittedly slightly below 3.0- all due to 1st year grades (which I realize is the majority of the bar). Appreciate the advice. I am planning on starting the Early Start Barbri program this coming Monday, March 20th, so I hope that will help. Otherwise I already paid nearly $1k for the vacation and don't want to lose that, which I checked and I would...I'll think about it for the next few weeks.

UPDATE: Barbri finally released the schedule! It says the online videos/review begins on May 23 (a Tuesday). On that note- you said I should start earlier which I understand- what would I be doing if I start earlier? (serious question- haven't received the books yet so unsure as to the study format) I'm assuming just reading/learning/memorizing the subject outlines?

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm

beckygirl wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Why so sensitive.

Lol this was entertaining. Admittedly slightly below 3.0- all due to 1st year grades (which I realize is the majority of the bar). Appreciate the advice. I am planning on starting the Early Start Barbri program this coming Monday, March 20th, so I hope that will help. Otherwise I already paid nearly $1k for the vacation and don't want to lose that, which I checked and I would...I'll think about it for the next few weeks.

UPDATE: Barbri finally released the schedule! It says the online videos/review begins on May 23 (a Tuesday). On that note- you said I should start earlier which I understand- what would I be doing if I start earlier? (serious question- haven't received the books yet so unsure as to the study format) I'm assuming just reading/learning/memorizing the subject outlines?
So if you go into their schedule and change the date to (perhaps May 24th?), the video will pop up. PM me if you are still confused. Its funny how many people don't know this. I think only those who took Barbri would know since we are forced to watch them everyday and sometimes we miss our Hw. I wish someone had told me about this. Try clicking different dates and see if you see any videos that come up.
You can start watching earlier than others. OR you can just read through the short outline. If you decide to go on a vacation, you can still watch them if you can't sleep. (It will put you to sleep!)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:51 pm

beckygirl wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Why so sensitive.

Lately, Barbri has been assigning a diagnostic MBE early on. This exam gives you a baseline for how much you know about the 7 MBE topics. You can take the exam (usually 100 or 200 questions) early, and review the answers. There may be corresponding videos that go over the diagnostic MBE answers, but these are often released early, as they are pre-recorded and not filmed live.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:12 pm

squiggle wrote:
beckygirl wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Why so sensitive.

Lately, Barbri has been assigning a diagnostic MBE early on. This exam gives you a baseline for how much you know about the 7 MBE topics. You can take the exam (usually 100 or 200 questions) early, and review the answers. There may be corresponding videos that go over the diagnostic MBE answers, but these are often released early, as they are pre-recorded and not filmed live.

Re: bolded -- is there any downside to taking this early? Obviously the results are private because they belong to Barbri, correct? Sorry... just been hyper paranoid and weird now that we're getting to go-time for the bar... Also, can you take this multiple times, or just once?

Also, fwiw, I could have sworn the schedule starts on Monday May 22nd, but I could be wrong.

beckygirl

New

Post by beckygirl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 am

sprout wrote:
Re: bolded -- is there any downside to taking this early? Obviously the results are private because they belong to Barbri, correct? Sorry... just been hyper paranoid and weird now that we're getting to go-time for the bar... Also, can you take this multiple times, or just once?

Also, fwiw, I could have sworn the schedule starts on Monday May 22nd, but I could be wrong.
This link should work for the schedule- as of now it starts Tuesday, May 23rd! http://www.barbri.com/files/schedules/n ... .15.17.pdf

Also on the schedule, it says the MBE diagnostic is on June 30th...so we can take this earlier? I can also see the downside though- not being deep enough into the course to do well and then feeling totally defeated...I should really just contact my school's barbri lady and figure it out.

squiggle

Bronze

Post by squiggle » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:16 am

beckygirl wrote:
sprout wrote:

This link should work for the schedule- as of now it starts Tuesday, May 23rd! http://www.barbri.com/files/schedules/n ... .15.17.pdf

Also on the schedule, it says the MBE diagnostic is on June 30th...so we can take this earlier? I can also see the downside though- not being deep enough into the course to do well and then feeling totally defeated...I should really just contact my school's barbri lady and figure it out.

I wouldn't do anything until after finals, of course. I don't see a downside to starting early. But ease into it, because you don't want to burn out before the exam.

If you don't mind sharing, who are you worried about seeing your diagnostic test results? It's in one of the books, so only you and whoever you tell will know. Barbri asks you to report your scores, just to help you prepare, but you can do that on the date assigned.

You could take questions more than once, but I wouldn't recommend it. Instead, learn the rules tested in these questions and move forward. You'll likely have more questions available to you this summer than you'll actually have time to get through.

The diagnostic MBE is different than the simulate MBE. This calendar doesn't show individual assignments. I suspect it's assigned during one of those first two days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Thank you squiggle!

Edit-- re: your question, I am just paranoid.

FormerChild

New

Post by FormerChild » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

Looking for a little hep with Barbri Early Start. Specifically, how TF does it work? Are we supposed to start by doing these AMP quizzes or by watching the videos or what? Also, did anyone get materials other than those brief overview materials that are on the website? Thanks in advance.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

beckygirl wrote:
sprout wrote:

FEB 2017 taker here. Just follow the schedule, Barbri plans everything for a reason. No reason to do it early. Also, Barbri will simulate the exam at a specific location.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:37 pm

FormerChild wrote:Looking for a little hep with Barbri Early Start. Specifically, how TF does it work? Are we supposed to start by doing these AMP quizzes or by watching the videos or what? Also, did anyone get materials other than those brief overview materials that are on the website? Thanks in advance.
Feb 2017 taker. - I don't know anyone who completed 100% of the early start program. Just do what you like and don't worry about a specific schedule. I just did the MBEs and some amps. Early start program is voluntary/optional, don't try to memorize anything, just get your feet wet. 10 weeks of bar prep is more than enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:39 pm

butlerraider1 wrote:Anyways, what is the first weekend like workload wise? As of now, I'm planning on missing a wedding (don't even know the couple personally, but my whole family is going). It's on the Saturday of Memorial Day and on the west coast (I'm in NY). Right move? Or can I miss the first weekend of studying?

You can pull it off. Especially since (I believe) you have Memorial Day off. Sundays are usually half days for Barbri and Barbri starts out slow.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:48 pm

wlp0001 wrote:
beckygirl wrote:
sprout wrote:

FEB 2017 taker here. Just follow the schedule, Barbri plans everything for a reason. No reason to do it early. Also, Barbri will simulate the exam at a specific location.
Additionally, I guess you can take it more than once, but i don't know if that would be helpful. Following the exam, Barbri will have videos that go over EVERY question. Barbri will also rank you against every other student and predict what your MBE score will be on game day (exam day). Results are private.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”