March 2017 MPRE Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MrWhitman

New

Re: March 2017 MPRE

Post by MrWhitman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 am

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 am

Can any of the test takers in March confirm that the rumor that the MPRE was going to get a lot more difficult was true?

Judges, practitioners, but mostly professors felt the exam was not challenging enough, students weren't preparing and not retaining the material.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TransferDC

New

Post by TransferDC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 am

kellyfrost wrote:Can any of the test takers in March confirm that the rumor that the MPRE was going to get a lot more difficult was true?

Judges, practitioners, but mostly professors felt the exam was not challenging enough, students weren't preparing and not retaining the material.
To be clear, this wouldn't change the curve, right?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am

TransferDC wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Can any of the test takers in March confirm that the rumor that the MPRE was going to get a lot more difficult was true?

To be clear, this wouldn't change the curve, right?
No, not in the first "more difficult" administration. Over time the curve might change slightly.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 am

happyhour1122 wrote:This was my 2nd mpre.
It was nothing like the first one. It was sooooooo difficult and some questions were really difficult to follow.
What's up with the general partnership question. Sigh
Don't remember the general partnership question. What was the general gist?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 am

Thrive wrote:
It was nothing like the first one. It was sooooooo difficult and some questions were really difficult to follow.
something about whether the other partner would be personally liable for one partner's negligence

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 am

Hand wrote:
Thrive wrote:
something about whether the other partner would be personally liable for one partner's negligence
Oh yes. I didn't find that one particularly tricky. Hopefully I didn't screw myself then.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am

I felt like it was significantly harder. I bought the sample NCBE exam (so closest to a "true" previous exam) and got an 85%~. No chance I got an 85% on yesterday's test.

smile0751

Bronze

Post by smile0751 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:48 am

Can you elaborate on these rumors? I've never heard any talk that the MPRE was going to get harder.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 pm

smile0751 wrote:

Can you elaborate on these rumors? I've never heard any talk that the MPRE was going to get harder.
I know a professor who co-authors Professional Reaponsibility text books and is otherwise involved in the academia PR circles and he said the discussion to make the MPRE more difficult, to truly test the material and force students to study has been in the works for a few years but finally gained enough traction that he believed the first MPRE of '17 would reflect those changes.

He has no reason to bullshit me, as I took the MPRE several years ago.

I would fail it if I had to take it today.

TransferDC

New

Post by TransferDC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
smile0751 wrote:

I know a professor who co-authors Professional Reaponsibility text books and is otherwise involved in the academia PR circles and he said the discussion to make the MPRE more difficult, to truly test the material and force students to study has been in the works for a few years but finally gained enough traction that he believed the first MPRE of '17 would reflect those changes.

But if it's on a curve, you'd have basically the same chance of passing as a few years ago though, right?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm

TransferDC wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
smile0751 wrote:

But if it's on a curve, you'd have basically the same chance of passing as a few years ago though, right?
I think so, but I'm but I'm not sure. Is the MPRe scaled or on a true curve? Is there a difference? If so, what is the difference. I'm not a statistician, I merely litigate insurance cases.

Apsara

New

Post by Apsara » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Thrive wrote:
Hand wrote:
Thrive wrote:
Oh yes. I didn't find that one particularly tricky. Hopefully I didn't screw myself then.
+1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Apsara

New

Post by Apsara » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:45 pm

pvnyc wrote:There was a question about an associate sleeping with the client but the partner did not tell the associate to stop... he can be disciplined to tell the association not to sleep with her?
Last edited by Apsara on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toubro

Bronze

Post by Toubro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Agreed it felt hard - but apparently that's how most people feel after leaving previous test administrations. Of course that is of little consolation if the test IS actually getting harder :oops:

JurorEight

New

Post by JurorEight » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Apsara wrote:
pvnyc wrote:There was a question about an associate sleeping with the client but the partner did not tell the associate to stop... he can be disciplined to tell the association not to sleep with her?
I thought it was an employee of the client and not the client itself?

I remembered it as an associate sleeping with a VP of a client corporation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 pm

I think that's right. Atleast that was my answer.

One of the trickier ones for me was the hotel safe question.

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Thrive wrote:

Yes!! You do have to put the items in the bank locker, correct?

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:29 pm

pvnyc wrote:
Thrive wrote:

Idk but that's what I picked. But, the question almost seemed to imply that the circumstances were weird (i.e., hinting that it was late in the day or something) that may have made what the lawyer did more reasonable.

JurorEight

New

Post by JurorEight » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Thrive wrote:
pvnyc wrote:
Thrive wrote:

Idk but that's what I picked. But, the question almost seemed to imply that the circumstances were weird (i.e., hinting that it was late in the day or something) that may have made what the lawyer did more reasonable.

I said that by putting the client's stuff in an envelope with the client's name on it and putting it in the safe, the attorney did the right thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pvnyc

Bronze

Post by pvnyc » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm

JurorEight wrote:
Thrive wrote:
pvnyc wrote:
Thrive wrote:

I said that by putting the client's stuff in an envelope with the client's name on it and putting it in the safe, the attorney did the right thing.

oh no... I changed my answer to the bank deposit one.... I failed.

Apsara

New

Post by Apsara » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm

JurorEight wrote:
Thrive wrote:
pvnyc wrote:
Thrive wrote:

+1.

Apsara

New

Post by Apsara » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:34 pm

pvnyc wrote:
JurorEight wrote:
Thrive wrote:
pvnyc wrote:
Thrive wrote:

oh no... I changed my answer to the bank deposit one.... I failed.
Last edited by Apsara on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:35 pm

JurorEight wrote:
Thrive wrote:
pvnyc wrote:
Thrive wrote:

Yea. Hence why I struggled with it. The bank deposit answer is technically correct (according to barbri) for small items but its hard not to think what the attorney did was reasonable. So I have no clue which one is right.

Really weird question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”