Does a video recording satisfy the SOF? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cavalier-336

New

Does a video recording satisfy the SOF?

Post by Cavalier-336 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:30 pm

Had an interesting contracts bar exam prep question. The parties had an oral agreement that was captured as a video recording (with audio).

The answer was that the contract was not enforceable to the defense of the SOF. The materials stated that the video recording was not a "writing."

Something about this seems off? Is this correct?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Does a video recording satisfy the SOF?

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Recording /= writing. If an oral contract was transcribed via a court reporter be reduced to writing? I don't think so. Or if I recorded a phone call (in a state where that is legal), still not reduced to writing. Makes sense to me..

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm

What's off about it? If it just doesn't make a lot of sense that it shouldn't be enforceable, and that the recording seems to satisfy the reasoning behind the SoF, the bar absolutely LOVES to test distinctions that don't make a lot of sense but are legally significant.

Cavalier-336

New

Post by Cavalier-336 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:57 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Recording /= writing. If an oral contract was transcribed via a court reporter be reduced to writing? I don't think so. Or if I recorded a phone call (in a state where that is legal), still not reduced to writing. Makes sense to me..
Considering the number of exceptions to the SOF, such as Article 2's list, this would seem to be another justifiable exception. This is because the video, like the specially manufactured goods exception, it is extremely reliable in showing a contract was actually entered into.

Thank you for the answer. All that I care about is that it is indeed not sufficient to meet the SOF.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”