2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SFassociate

New

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by SFassociate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Great. So they want to torture us with an arbitrary and unnecessary release date/time and then put our (likely) pitiful pass list online for the whole world to see?

The way the state bar has treated bar examinees seems so punitive. First, they charge the same ridiculous amount in fees to take a bar exam that is one entire day shorter, then they refuse to drop our cut score to something even remotely in line with 48 other states. and now they decided to post names publicly knowing that 60%+ will fail. Who is running this show and what happened to them as a child!? :..(

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:04 pm

SFassociate wrote:Great. So they want to torture us with an arbitrary and unnecessary release date/time and then put our (likely) pitiful pass list online for the whole world to see?

The way the state bar has treated bar examinees seems so punitive. First, they charge the same ridiculous amount in fees to take a bar exam that is one entire day shorter, then they refuse to drop our cut score to something even remotely in line with 48 other states. and now they decided to post names publicly knowing that 60%+ will fail. Who is running this show and what happened to them as a child!? :..(
"Why did the bar make the change to a two-day exam with added weight to the MBE? By its own admission, it was to save $600,000 a year."

From the 4/14/2016 email from the Daily Journal. The link expired, so I can't give you the article, but it should be out there somewhere.

SFassociate

New

Post by SFassociate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

So they saved a bunch of money but didn't feel the need to pass along any of those savings to students who actually need that income? If they didn't want to be that decent, they couldn't have at least coughed up some more money to have the grading finished in a timely manner?

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 pm

SFassociate wrote:So they saved a bunch of money but didn't feel the need to pass along any of those savings to students who actually need that income? If they didn't want to be that decent, they couldn't have at least coughed up some more money to have the grading finished in a timely manner?
Sounds about right. Well played, California Bar.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 pm

I think the point was that the State Bar needed the money lol. It's better than the alternative of paying an additional $500 to cover for the costs of running a three-day exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nervous_wreck

New

Post by nervous_wreck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 am

I really wish they would just send an email, I cant handle this whole pass list situation. I think I might drop dead before typing in my numbers.

Also I keep thinking of ridiculous unlikely things happening, like my MBE getting lost or my PT being in the same box as Essay 5. WTF.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 am

I re-read the essay questions and the PT, because it's better than checking my horoscope. I still think I got to at least 65 on Essay One. Even though I'm sure I blew it, I still think Essay Two was an Evidence/PR question, 55 on that one. On Essay Three, I nailed all the elements for TRO, Prelim Inj, and SP. However, I went into a long discussion of whether the contract was void or voidable, and now I see the question specifically stated that it was valid, so maybe 65 on that one, too. Essay Four, should've discussed abnormally dangerous activity, but honestly, when I read it, it seemed unfamiliar and I'm not sure what I discussed. I do know that this was shortest essay by far. I think I got to just over 1200 words. Essay Five, I'm not sure about after re-reading the question. I answered the question concerning the sufficiently of the allegations as a pleading issue. On the choice of law question, I did a substantive/procedural analysis, and babbled on at length about California's law. Maybe 65 on that one. I'm not sure I scored high enough on the MBE this time to pull my fat out of the fire, either. I'm worried that I filled in the bubbles wrong. When I went back to check some answers, I found two that were mismarked. I had to go back five questions prior and five questions after to make sure I hadn't really screwed up, and now I'm sure I did.

I'm binge watching The Office for comic relief and spending time meditating to calm my nerves.

SFassociate

New

Post by SFassociate » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm starting to look at my options and am considering taking the bar in another state (like NY) the next time around if I fail. Because CA can't bother to grade its exams in a reasonable amount of time, I would hate to think about waiting an entire year or more to become licensed if I were to mess up in Feb. I think its better to have a license in some state (especially one that also allows you to waive into numerous other states) than none at all. At least if you have a license you can do federal work. Does anyone else have any creative ideas for maintaining employment if you fail?

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm

SFassociate wrote:I'm starting to look at my options and am considering taking the bar in another state (like NY) the next time around if I fail. Because CA can't bother to grade its exams in a reasonable amount of time, I would hate to think about waiting an entire year or more to become licensed if I were to mess up in Feb. I think its better to have a license in some state (especially one that also allows you to waive into numerous other states) than none at all. At least if you have a license you can do federal work. Does anyone else have any creative ideas for maintaining employment if you fail?
I think it just depends entirely on your firm to be honest. Knew a guy who failed 2 times before finally passing and his firm kept him on and basically kept giving him Second Chances because they really didn't want to let him go.

Most of the stories I hear involve people getting a second chance but nothing else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm

SFassociate wrote:I'm starting to look at my options and am considering taking the bar in another state (like NY) the next time around if I fail. Because CA can't bother to grade its exams in a reasonable amount of time, I would hate to think about waiting an entire year or more to become licensed if I were to mess up in Feb. I think its better to have a license in some state (especially one that also allows you to waive into numerous other states) than none at all. At least if you have a license you can do federal work. Does anyone else have any creative ideas for maintaining employment if you fail?
Beyond trying to be useful and do good work now so my firm doesn't fire me come Friday evening, no. But I like your idea, that's creative. I'll look into it.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

htt4

New

Post by htt4 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:I re-read the essay questions and the PT, because it's better than checking my horoscope. I still think I got to at least 65 on Essay One. Even though I'm sure I blew it, I still think Essay Two was an Evidence/PR question, 55 on that one. On Essay Three, I nailed all the elements for TRO, Prelim Inj, and SP. However, I went into a long discussion of whether the contract was void or voidable, and now I see the question specifically stated that it was valid, so maybe 65 on that one, too. Essay Four, should've discussed abnormally dangerous activity, but honestly, when I read it, it seemed unfamiliar and I'm not sure what I discussed. I do know that this was shortest essay by far. I think I got to just over 1200 words. Essay Five, I'm not sure about after re-reading the question. I answered the question concerning the sufficiently of the allegations as a pleading issue. On the choice of law question, I did a substantive/procedural analysis, and babbled on at length about California's law. Maybe 65 on that one. I'm not sure I scored high enough on the MBE this time to pull my fat out of the fire, either. I'm worried that I filled in the bubbles wrong. When I went back to check some answers, I found two that were mismarked. I had to go back five questions prior and five questions after to make sure I hadn't really screwed up, and now I'm sure I did.

I'm binge watching The Office for comic relief and spending time meditating to calm my nerves.
The Office has been the most comforting thing in the world right now. #thankyoumichaelscott

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Got a wonderful email from the firm reminding me to send them my results once I have them. :evil: like I needed a damn reminder.

Side note: has anyone been checking their admissions status page? I'm secretly hoping the result shows up there earlier somehow (maybe by someone in their IT department uploading things too soon). https://sbc.calbar.ca.gov/
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritz13

New

Post by Ritz13 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm

mcmand wrote:Got a wonderful email from the firm reminding me to send them my results once I have them. :evil: like I needed a damn reminder.

Side note: has anyone been checking their admissions status page? I'm secretly hoping the result shows up there earlier somehow (maybe by someone in their IT department uploading things too soon). https://sbc.calbar.ca.gov/

:) I did checked it. No new development. This is my 3rd attempt in CA. I did felt much confident about my exam this time. Let's see.
Waiting to see some positive news. God bless n gud luk to all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:54 pm

mcmand wrote:Got a wonderful email from the firm reminding me to send them my results once I have them. :evil: like I needed a damn reminder.

I got the same email this morning. I wonder if all firms send this, or if we're at the same firm.

I guess firms aren't all aware that CA is going back to publishing the pass list.

htt4

New

Post by htt4 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Haha yeah I've been doing that nightly... ugh

wafflehausenberg

New

Post by wafflehausenberg » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

htt4 wrote: ... ugh
Every examinee right now.

BigLawSmallConfdence

New

Post by BigLawSmallConfdence » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Omg I did that too!! Hahah another thing I did was try and sign up for the bar again and see if it lets me register and go all the way through.... it did so I think that means I failed. Can one of you guys check and see if it stops you? That may mean you passed???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KGE

New

Post by KGE » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:22 am

BigLawSmallConfdence wrote:
mcmand wrote: Hahah another thing I did was try and sign up for the bar again and see if it lets me register and go all the way through.... it did so I think that means I failed. Can one of you guys check and see if it stops you? That may mean you passed???
Is this something you've heard has worked in the past or just something you tried?

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:33 am

KGE wrote:
mcmand wrote: Hahah another thing I did was try and sign up for the bar again and see if it lets me register and go all the way through.... it did so I think that means I failed. Can one of you guys check and see if it stops you? That may mean you passed???
Is this something you've heard has worked in the past or just something you tried?
im almost certain that this means nothing

BigLawSmallConfdence

New

Post by BigLawSmallConfdence » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:43 am

KGE wrote:
KGE, nope just something my paranoid anxious mind thought of lol

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 am

For what it's worth, you cannot register to take the Feb. CBX if you've taken the July exam and are waiting on results. It won't let you go all the way through. The State Bar wouldn't make such a silly mistake. You can try to check your status in the middle of the night, hoping IT screwed up. That won't work either. I've done this so many times now that it's actually starting to get easier to wait. I'm beginning to understand it's a valuable part of the process. Hang in there, people. Checking your horoscope doesn't help, either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nervous_wreck

New

Post by nervous_wreck » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:For what it's worth, you cannot register to take the Feb. CBX if you've taken the July exam and are waiting on results. It won't let you go all the way through. The State Bar wouldn't make such a silly mistake. You can try to check your status in the middle of the night, hoping IT screwed up. That won't work either. I've done this so many times now that it's actually starting to get easier to wait. I'm beginning to understand it's a valuable part of the process. Hang in there, people. Checking your horoscope doesn't help, either.
Bahaha, I’ve been checking my horoscope and opening all my fortune cookies lately. Whatever gets me through the day...

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 am

Omg I did that too!! Hahah another thing I did was try and sign up for the bar again and see if it lets me register and go all the way through.... it did so I think that means I failed. Can one of you guys check and see if it stops you? That may mean you passed???
Before I did my application to take the bar exam, I went through the registration process ("Registering as a Law Student" as they call it), not remembering that I had previously done so. It took me all the way through, and it wasn't until I got to the credit card entry page that I had the sense to pick up the phone and call them, and they did in fact verify that I was already registered and needn't complete that application.

If the website is clueless about the registration process, I'm pretty sure it's clueless about bar exam results as well.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Gosh this thread is getting me nervous and I have literally nothing to gain from passing, except pride (third bar and I work inhouse).

TheEffinNewGuy

New

Post by TheEffinNewGuy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Tried to study a little last night after work, ended up discovering yet another mistake I made on the essays. So that churned up enough anxiety that abruptly ended my studying. This is my first bar ever and I could not be more on edge. Took a bit of a chance by accepting a job in CA over a job in GA, just hoping that I didn’t shoot myself in the foot by moving out here and tanking on a much harder bar. Hang in there everyone, hoping everyone on this board gets good news tomorrow!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”