2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lsatextreme

Silver

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by lsatextreme » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:05 pm

For those who are swearing in this Friday - is this at your school or something? I'm in LA but did not attend school here, trying to see if I can get it done on Friday. Looks like not all notaries offer oath services.

waitingforever

New

Post by waitingforever » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Anyone else have an "administrative issue" on their admission status? I asked and it has to do with DOJ fingerprinting clearance... Wondering if anyone has received any updates.

NotoriousRBG90

New

Post by NotoriousRBG90 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:01 pm

lsatextreme wrote:For those who are swearing in this Friday - is this at your school or something? I'm in LA but did not attend school here, trying to see if I can get it done on Friday. Looks like not all notaries offer oath services.

Some law schools are doing their own swearing in ceremonies, and normally they are closed to the public. You could try contacting a few and see if they could allow you to attend, as one extra person wouldn't likely be a big issue. I think you would be responsible for sending your own materials to the Bar.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Call2222222 wrote:I think i haven’t received my admission packet because my moral character app is still pending?
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. When did you submit your moral character app? I'm hoping they'll finish up quickly since I passed, but who knows.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Call2222222 wrote:I think i haven’t received my admission packet because my moral character app is still pending?
Didn't you know how to check your application status? If you are not on motion, you won't receive the oath card, but you should still get a letter to inform you of passing the bar exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:06 pm

logicspeaks wrote:
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. When did you submit your moral character app? I'm hoping they'll finish up quickly since I passed, but who knows.
Moral character app has nothing to do whether you passed or not. It is on a different track handled by a different team.

Call2222222

New

Post by Call2222222 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:19 pm

maxmartin wrote:
Didn't you know how to check your application status? If you are not on motion, you won't receive the oath card, but you should still get a letter to inform you of passing the bar exam.
Sorry I will be more specific as my comment was confusing. I received my letter congratulating me on the bar pass. However, i haven’t received this “packet” that everyone is talking about. My moral app is still pending and was told that i won’t be receiving it until it is cleared.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Bronze

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 am

Call2222222 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
Sorry I will be more specific as my comment was confusing. I received my letter congratulating me on the bar pass. However, i haven’t received this “packet” that everyone is talking about. My moral app is still pending and was told that i won’t be receiving it until it is cleared.

If there is still something to be completed (like C&F or MPRE) then you won't get the "packet". You just get a letter saying you passed. That's the letter I got. I still need to get my C&F.

bettercallsaul91

Bronze

Post by bettercallsaul91 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:01 am

I'm in Riverside and still have not received my pass letter or packet ... everything on the ca bar website looks good and it says I'm on motion and address is fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotoriousRBG90

New

Post by NotoriousRBG90 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:02 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:I'm in Riverside and still have not received my pass letter or packet ... everything on the ca bar website looks good and it says I'm on motion and address is fine.
I am in the same boat as you- in LA, and everything on my admissions page is completed, and on motion 11/14/17. No packet or pass letter in the mail yet. Looks like I'm headed to the Bar office to get the oath card myself before swearing in!

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:07 pm

What's the procedure after you take the oath and mail in the registration card? Does it take a while for them to issue you a bar number?

burner

New

Post by burner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 pm

lsatextreme wrote:What's the procedure after you take the oath and mail in the registration card? Does it take a while for them to issue you a bar number?
I took the Feb '17 bar and was sworn in on June 6. My understanding is once you're sworn in, you are good to go to practice, even without a bar number (thought it could be confusing if you are filing motions). I sent my card in that day via 1st class mail to SF and a week later I had a bar number in the system. I understand it's sequential in order received, and there's many more new attorneys from the July bar than the Feb bar, but I would expect you'd have a number in a couple weeks.

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

lsatextreme wrote:What's the procedure after you take the oath and mail in the registration card? Does it take a while for them to issue you a bar number?
same question...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 pm

The packet states they will do their best to give you an active number within 1-2 weeks of receiving the card.

Also, from the bar's website FAQ section:
What happens if I don’t I get a bar number immediately?

After submitting your completed membership enrollment card, allow one to two weeks for delivery, then check Attorney Search to confirm your enrollment and find your bar number. If you do not see your name on the State Bar website after two weeks from the date you submitted the card, call 888-800-3400 or email msc@calbar.ca.gov.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Alt123 wrote:The packet states they will do their best to give you an active number within 1-2 weeks of receiving the card.

Also, from the bar's website FAQ section:
What happens if I don’t I get a bar number immediately?

After submitting your completed membership enrollment card, allow one to two weeks for delivery, then check Attorney Search to confirm your enrollment and find your bar number. If you do not see your name on the State Bar website after two weeks from the date you submitted the card, call 888-800-3400 or email msc@calbar.ca.gov.
I mailed my membership enrollment card on 12/1. My name is not yet on the website so I called them today. They said they are running behind and the wait time is about 3 weeks now.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:49 pm

I got my bar number a couple days ago after mailing the card 12/4. I bet it depends on whether you sent it in individually or not. Maybe certain staff have piles assigned to them from certain swearing-in ceremonies?
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Merry Christmas. The answer to the July essays and PT are posted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Got my number last week, but I still haven't gotten my membership fees statement for 2018 yet. Has anyone else? You need the access code to make an online state bar profile.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Alt123 wrote:Got my number last week, but I still haven't gotten my membership fees statement for 2018 yet. Has anyone else? You need the access code to make an online state bar profile.
Call member services and they'll give you an access code. I had to do this last week. It is tedious.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

melainaa

New

Post by melainaa » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi guys!

Congratulations to all those who passed the July 2017 exam!

Does anyone have their set Barbri books that they would like me to take off their hands (not the Multistate books, but the Cali PT and legibly filled-in Lecture Handout Book, especially)?

I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for them:) I took and passed Nevada with Barbri, so have absolutely no desire to pay for an entirely new course and set!

Please PM me if you decide you'd like to free up some shelves:)

sarabelqis

New

Post by sarabelqis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Anyone still waiting for their SBN? I hand-delivered my oath card on 12/15.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 pm

sarabelqis wrote:Anyone still waiting for their SBN? I hand-delivered my oath card on 12/15.
I mailed mine on 12/1 and I'm still waiting.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Must not be consistent at all. I've had mine for a couple weeks now, mailed 12/4.

Try calling again?
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Finally received my state bar number. I originally mailed my registration card on 12/1. After waiting two weeks I called them for an update, and they said they were still entering the cards they received and that I should call again in a week. Called again in weeks 3 and 4, each time being told they were still entering the cards and call back next week. By week 5, they said all 4000 cards they received have been entered, except for a short stack of cards that had issues (mine wasn't there either). So evidently mine had gotten lost. They mailed me a new registration card and they instructed me to go back to the same notary and have the new card dated 12/1 - the same as the original (side note: notaries should keep copies of signed items in the event of something like this). I mailed the new notarized card and got my bar number a week later.

Help spread the word to our future California attorneys who encounter the same problem. This wasn't bad for me because I'm already working as a lawyer in another state. But I can see how an ordeal like this could freak someone out, particularly someone in search of their first attorney job.

Peace...

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:36 pm

CAnow wrote:Finally received my state bar number. I originally mailed my registration card on 12/1. After waiting two weeks I called them for an update, and they said they were still entering the cards they received and that I should call again in a week. Called again in weeks 3 and 4, each time being told they were still entering the cards and call back next week. By week 5, they said all 4000 cards they received have been entered, except for a short stack of cards that had issues (mine wasn't there either). So evidently mine had gotten lost. They mailed me a new registration card and they instructed me to go back to the same notary and have the new card dated 12/1 - the same as the original (side note: notaries should keep copies of signed items in the event of something like this). I mailed the new notarized card and got my bar number a week later.

Help spread the word to our future California attorneys who encounter the same problem. This wasn't bad for me because I'm already working as a lawyer in another state. But I can see how an ordeal like this could freak someone out, particularly someone in search of their first attorney job.

Peace...
Haha I purposefully avoided Dec frenzy. Send the card last week, three days later the name is on the website. Still waiting for the payment letter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”