2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
psg190

New

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by psg190 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Alt123 wrote:Unless you really haven't been able to prepare at all, I might still take it and hope for a very gracious retroactive adjustment by the state supreme court.
My prep tutor is strongly geared toward second time takers who previously took a big box prep course. Given that I've been out of school for 5 years I've been inundated with rust on the substantive law and pounding out open book essays/MBEs hasn't made much of a dent in terms of retention.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Does anyone know how long lunch breaks are and where we can potentially grab food (anaheim convention center)? Can we bring food? Thanks

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 am

t-14orbust wrote:Does anyone know how long lunch breaks are and where we can potentially grab food (anaheim convention center)? Can we bring food? Thanks
I'm staying @ the Anaheim Marriott and it's like 0.2 miles away, so that property and the Hilton should both be basically across the street and have some restaurants as well as little snack/convenience stores in the lobby. It's a convention center, so presumably there's a few other hotels around all with food options of ranging prices.

Not sure about timing of lunch break or whether we can bring food though.

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... xamination

It looks like about 1.5 hours for lunch.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am

Alt123 wrote:Unless you really haven't been able to prepare at all, I might still take it and hope for a very gracious retroactive adjustment by the state supreme court.
Gracious? Good one. Retroactive Adjustment? I nearly wet myself. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
Well, I am not counting on either, but it seems likely it will be retroactively applied from the bar trustee's statement. Whether it will be a big adjustment, I doubt it.

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
The trustee said it would likely be applied retroactively to the July 2017 administration, so....

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 pm

SurfLaw wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
The trustee said it would likely be applied retroactively to the July 2017 administration, so....
I'm guessing it will be a small adjustment. Maybe 5 points. But every point helps...

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 pm

barjamie8 wrote:
SurfLaw wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:
I'm guessing it will be a small adjustment. Maybe 5 points. But every point helps...
As far as the MBE part, I'd assume about 5 scaled points only equates to ~4 raw questions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:
The new cut score will be released in Sep and it will apply to July exam. It is not technically retroactive because the cut score is still released before Nov result.

I expect 20-40 points reduction (1420-1400), if nothing else, at least they can do is to change the atrocious regrading policy. Just choose the higher score between two reads.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

jphiggo wrote:http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... xamination

It looks like about 1.5 hours for lunch.
July 2016 taker. It was typically a 1.5-2 hour break (took it in downtown SD).

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Just to verify- there's no rule against reviewing material during the lunch break right?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Just to verify- there's no rule against reviewing material during the lunch break right?
How on earth would they enforce such a rule?
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:49 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Just to verify- there's no rule against reviewing material during the lunch break right?
I think as long as you leave whatever it is you're going to use to review outside the exam room its ok based on my reading of the policies.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:01 pm

No rules against it, but I wouldn't spend too much time doing that. That lunch break should be your opportunity to give your mind a rest so that you will come back refreshed for the second round.

The last time I took a bar exam, I walked past countless examinees spending their lunch break sitting on the hallway floors, furiously flipping through their outlines. I think that does more harm than good.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm

psg190 wrote:
My prep tutor is strongly geared toward second time takers who previously took a big box prep course. Given that I've been out of school for 5 years I've been inundated with rust on the substantive law and pounding out open book essays/MBEs hasn't made much of a dent in terms of retention.
I have been out of law school for 15 years, so I feel what you feel. I say stick with it and take the exam. Most people who are about to take the exam feel that they don't know enough to pass, and this is about the time when panic starts to set in. Don't let it overcome you. Besides, you don't want to go the next several months (or perhaps years) wondering how you would have fared if you had just taken the exam. Unlike some other states, California doesn't place limits on the number of times a person can sit for the bar exam.

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

unitball wrote:I'm confused about the difference between land-possessor duties to anticipated trespassers vs. invitees.

Regarding anticipated trespassers, my materials say a land possessor has a duty to "warn of or make safe,..." but also that the land possessor does NOT have a duty to inspect or repair. I always thought make safe meant repair in this context though.

Regarding invitees, it says the landowner has the same duties as for anticipated trespassers PLUS a duty to "make reasonable inspections to discover non-obvious dangerous conditions and, thereafter, make them safe (a warning may suffice)."

I'm not exactly sure what "make safe" means in these two different rules. Is "make safe" supposed to be distinct from a warning or is it the same thing?
I believe duty to repair means they have to fix it whereas the duty to make safe doesn't require fixing. Posting a warning qualifies as making something safe, and repairing is also making it safe, so they could do either. If it's a duty to repair, a warning is not enough.
Last edited by CAnow on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thisisxael

New

Post by thisisxael » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 pm

CAnow wrote:
No rules against it, but I wouldn't spend too much time doing that. That lunch break should be your opportunity to give your mind a rest so that you will come back refreshed for the second round.

The last time I took a bar exam, I walked past countless examinees spending their lunch break sitting on the hallway floors, furiously flipping through their outlines. I think that does more harm than good.
dumb question but i have no real life skills so
where do people stash their stuff during that time? are there lockers?
relatedly what do i do with my shit on the second day? since we can't bring our laptops and will have to check out of our hotel rooms that day to :/ i was planning on just putting it in a friend's car but that seems risky? idk just curious abt what normally goes on

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:43 pm

thisisxael wrote:
CAnow wrote:

relatedly what do i do with my shit on the second day? since we can't bring our laptops and will have to check out of our hotel rooms that day to :/ i was planning on just putting it in a friend's car but that seems risky? idk just curious abt what normally goes on
Hotel front desk will hold your bags.

thisisxael

New

Post by thisisxael » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 pm

yost wrote:
thisisxael wrote:
CAnow wrote:

i'm worried abt leaving my computer and phone just chilling there but yea i guess

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm

thisisxael wrote:
yost wrote:
thisisxael wrote:
CAnow wrote:

i'm worried abt leaving my computer and phone just chilling there but yea i guess
Most big (read: Convention Center adjacent) hotels don't just leave it casually chilling at the front desk, but have a dedicated "checked luggage" room for guests waiting to check-in, or those who have checked-out but aren't leaving yet. It will be safely tagged and stored in that room, and you'll get a ticket (same process as a valet essentially). Just bring a bag or something that you can put the computer and phone inside so that it's safe.

Also, you don't have to checkout that morning. You could keep the room an extra night, and then have an easy, nearby place to crash after blacking out post-exam...or napping immediately post-exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 pm

SurfLaw wrote: Also, you don't have to checkout that morning. You could keep the room an extra night, and then have an easy, nearby place to crash after blacking out post-exam...or napping immediately post-exam.
My plan exactly 8)
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thisisxael

New

Post by thisisxael » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 pm

yeah, cuz the reason i said "had to" was because i just had no idea that you could extend a night in the hotel. wow thanks for telling me that is so illuminating thanks for the help tls

kaytraco1

New

Post by kaytraco1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:41 pm

This might be a silly question...

My understanding is that essay readers reward you with points for correct law, analysis, etc., but do not deduct points when wrong law, analysis, etc., is included. If that's true (and tbh, I don't even remember where I heard that - maybe a Barbri essay lecture?), then can I include contradictory analysis when I'm in a jam in order to accumulate points?

For example, let's say I can't remember whether withdrawal is a defense to solicitation and I have one heading that says "Bob's Withdrawal is a Defense to Solicitation," followed by analysis, and then, "Bob's Withdrawal is Not a Defense to Solicitation," followed by analysis. Obviously, doing this costs valuable time, but I'm wondering if it's a plausible strategy if I'm drawing a blank.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

kaytraco1 wrote:This might be a silly question...

My understanding is that essay readers reward you with points for correct law, analysis, etc., but do not deduct points when wrong law, analysis, etc., is included. If that's true (and tbh, I don't even remember where I heard that - maybe a Barbri essay lecture?), then can I include contradictory analysis when I'm in a jam in order to accumulate points?

For example, let's say I can't remember whether withdrawal is a defense to solicitation and I have one heading that says "Bob's Withdrawal is a Defense to Solicitation," followed by analysis, and then, "Bob's Withdrawal is Not a Defense to Solicitation," followed by analysis. Obviously, doing this costs valuable time, but I'm wondering if it's a plausible strategy if I'm drawing a blank.

You can definitely do this:
"Bob's withdrawal is a defense to solicitation...
Alternatively, if Bob's withdrawal does not constitute a defense to solicitation..."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”