2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
RCA88

New

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by RCA88 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Does anyone know if CA ever released results earlier than the stated time/date?

Yogagirl

New

Post by Yogagirl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm

I doubt it. We are in the waiting place.

With regard to what to do when the results are posted, I plan on taking my son to UCSB for a campus tour instead of working. My students are very perceptive and I suspect that by next Friday will no longer be able to hide my increasing levels of anxiety. I am a single mom and my son has been very supportive throughout this long, sometimes arduous (but never boring) journey; I want to share the result with him - pass or fail. If I pass, will continue to encourage others to not give up because it took me the better part of a decade to get here. If I am not successful, will triage and get back to work (which includes working to scrape together the money for the exam, book deposit for Barbri, and renewal fees for Adaptabar and Bar Secrets). Regardless, I have absolutely no regrets. This has been an incredible and wild ride and I look forward to the next chapter of my life (I just hope that chapter can begin before next May). Oh, the places we will go....

fear_no_evil

New

Post by fear_no_evil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:00 pm

RCA88 wrote:Does anyone know if CA ever released results earlier than the stated time/date?
to my knowledge, never!

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 pm

The results will NOT come out a second sooner than noted. This is a part of the hazing process.

If it makes any of you feel better, to me this was the worst part. When you're preparing for the bar, if anxiety strikes you can go do a practice problem and have some control. But this period leaves you in limbo.

Ultimately many of you will pass, some of you won't and you'll go on either way. For those who don't pass, take a weekend or week to recoup and grieve then formulate a plan to figure it out. Again, stop worrying about the cut score or anything else that's not in your control (my opinion) and just focus on getting over the hump.

If you think right now is tough, this time next week is going to be horrible. Imagine how you would feel if results were due to come out in 2 hours from now? It's not a fun experience.

Lastly, i'd say don't drink prior to results coming out. Last thing you want is to be intoxicated and dealing with the sobering thought of having to go through the whole process all over again...

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

LockBox wrote:The results will NOT come out a second sooner than noted. This is a part of the hazing process.

If it makes any of you feel better, to me this was the worst part. When you're preparing for the bar, if anxiety strikes you can go do a practice problem and have some control. But this period leaves you in limbo.

Ultimately many of you will pass, some of you won't and you'll go on either way. For those who don't pass, take a weekend or week to recoup and grieve then formulate a plan to figure it out. Again, stop worrying about the cut score or anything else that's not in your control (my opinion) and just focus on getting over the hump.

If you think right now is tough, this time next week is going to be horrible. Imagine how you would feel if results were due to come out in 2 hours from now? It's not a fun experience.

Lastly, i'd say don't drink prior to results coming out. Last thing you want is to be intoxicated and dealing with the sobering thought of having to go through the whole process all over again...
This actually isn't helpful as a post in terms of managing anxiety. At best, it makes it worse.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:52 am

mcmand wrote:
LockBox wrote:The results will NOT come out a second sooner than noted. This is a part of the hazing process.

This actually isn't helpful as a post in terms of managing anxiety. At best, it makes it worse.
How I think about bar results is that it's not the end of the world. If you don't pass, it's a terrible thing. However, you can take it again. I know I'll sign up for it immediately if I don't pass. The consequences aren't the end all be all. I'd rather not spend the money or time, but that's okay. Personally, I've weathered much worse storms in my life. I know I'll be okay.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:05 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
How I think about bar results is that it's not the end of the world. If you don't pass, it's a terrible thing. However, you can take it again. I know I'll sign up for it immediately if I don't pass. The consequences aren't the end all be all. I'd rather not spend the money or time, but that's okay. Personally, I've weathered much worse storms in my life. I know I'll be okay.
failing the bar exam isn't fatal. I know. I've survived three times now. If I have to, I'll survive it a fourth.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:43 pm

My firm is having a going away party for an amazing lawyer who has been absolutely awesome to me during my time at the firm. It'll be going on right in the middle of score release. I'm not planning on broadcasting my results either way, but god would it suck finding out I failed surrounded by half the office.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:My firm is having a going away party for an amazing lawyer who has been absolutely awesome to me during my time at the firm. It'll be going on right in the middle of score release. I'm not planning on broadcasting my results either way, but god would it suck finding out I failed surrounded by half the office.
You really wouldn't tell everyone around you right then if you passed? I feel like it would be hard to contain oneself in that situation. But I suppose it would be rude to upstage the guy who is retiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:22 pm

mcmand wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:My firm is having a going away party for an amazing lawyer who has been absolutely awesome to me during my time at the firm. It'll be going on right in the middle of score release. I'm not planning on broadcasting my results either way, but god would it suck finding out I failed surrounded by half the office.
You really wouldn't tell everyone around you right then if you passed? I feel like it would be hard to contain oneself in that situation. But I suppose it would be rude to upstage the guy who is retiring.
That's my thought. I might tell the lawyer who is leaving because she has been like a mentor, and if she wanted to broadcast it she could. I do plan on stepping outside the bar a few minutes before 6 to actually check the score.

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Yogagirl wrote:I doubt it. We are in the waiting place.

With regard to what to do when the results are posted, I plan on taking my son to UCSB for a campus tour instead of working. My students are very perceptive and I suspect that by next Friday will no longer be able to hide my increasing levels of anxiety. I am a single mom and my son has been very supportive throughout this long, sometimes arduous (but never boring) journey; I want to share the result with him - pass or fail. If I pass, will continue to encourage others to not give up because it took me the better part of a decade to get here. If I am not successful, will triage and get back to work (which includes working to scrape together the money for the exam, book deposit for Barbri, and renewal fees for Adaptabar and Bar Secrets). Regardless, I have absolutely no regrets. This has been an incredible and wild ride and I look forward to the next chapter of my life (I just hope that chapter can begin before next May). Oh, the places we will go....
Cool. I'm an older student too. My oldest daughter is coming up to where I live next weekend, and so pass or fail, I'll have 2 of my three kids with me. We're gonna do an early Thanksgiving thing, so that'll be good.

On a re-do if it comes to it, maybe look into baressays.com. It's only $149. And Adaptibar is something like $250 the second time around.

Best of the bestest of best luck. :)

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
mcmand wrote:

Exactly. To go through law school, grind for the bar, and then fail truly blows. However, compared to so many other things I've experienced it's a relatively minor thing. I've lost my mom, my brother; when I was 21 I lost the first house I ever bought to foreclosure. I've been divorced and had to tell my kids--I will never forget my youngest daughter's reaction. Failing the goddamn bar exam is fucking peanuts compared to that. I cannot undo any of the horrible things that have happened in my life. I sure as hell can take the bar exam again.

BigLawSmallConfdence

New

Post by BigLawSmallConfdence » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:14 am

It's all I think about everyday.... I'm going crazy... I'm so scared for when I check... I don't know how I lll be able to handle losing my job... my livelihood... can't sleep...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

BigLawSmallConfdence wrote:It's all I think about everyday.... I'm going crazy... I'm so scared for when I check... I don't know how I lll be able to handle losing my job... my livelihood... can't sleep...
That's one of my biggest fears...yeah you can take it again and it'll suck, but there's way more pressure if you failed once, because I think there's a good shot I get fired if I fail twice.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 pm

I thought work would distract me more but nope. I'm looking at WestLaw and I'm like, "What is this saying? I don't even care what this is saying. Should I print this out to read? Will that help?" I really want to know. LIKE REALLY.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:38 pm

The California Bar should just pull a Beyonce and release the results with no warning at midnight tonight. I'd rather be jolted with surprise than keep waiting.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 pm

mcmand wrote:

The point wasn't that I could manage or minimize your anxiety - it's that whatever your anxiety is now will likely pale in comparison to what it will be on friday.

Really, I hoped that my point would be that it's normal to have this much anxiety right now, it's a part of the 'hazing' process that you go through to get and Esq. at the end of your name, and hopefully the ends justify the means for you. Hang in there, one way or another, all of this will be over in a few days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nervous_wreck

New

Post by nervous_wreck » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

I am going crazy, I really didnt think much about the exam after I took it and I felt like my answers that I could have written better were sufficient.

NOW I AM FREAKING OUT OVER EVERYTHING. Is it normal to feel ok after the exam and totally much worse the week the results come out?

Jay.T17

New

Post by Jay.T17 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 pm

nervous_wreck wrote:I am going crazy, I really didnt think much about the exam after I took it and I felt like my answers that I could have written better were sufficient.

NOW I AM FREAKING OUT OVER EVERYTHING. Is it normal to feel ok after the exam and totally much worse the week the results come out?
Oh yeah. The closer to results the more nervous people get. For what it’s worth my friend took and passed the Cal Bar last year and said he felt the same way. As the release of test results get closer everyone starts to really focus on the mistakes they may have made on the test. This makes you feel like you may have failed.

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:46 pm

The results page now indicates that the bar will indeed be posting a public pass list on Sunday :shock: I thought this had gone the way of the dodo in California.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm

DportIA wrote:The results page now indicates that the bar will indeed be posting a public pass list on Sunday :shock: I thought this had gone the way of the dodo in California.
Interesting.

Here's the page for anyone curious http://apps.calbar.ca.gov/exam/default.aspx

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

llpnw3

New

Post by llpnw3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm

DportIA wrote:The results page now indicates that the bar will indeed be posting a public pass list on Sunday :shock: I thought this had gone the way of the dodo in California.
I saw that! I thought I read somewhere that they discontinued that practice in 2016 or 2015.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:03 pm

llpnw3 wrote:
I saw that! I thought I read somewhere that they discontinued that practice in 2016 or 2015.
2015 or 2016 probably were years of experimentation with removing the public list. Maybe with all the scrutiny going on, they're aiming to be as transparent as possible?

Let's just hope we all end up on it.

llpnw3

New

Post by llpnw3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:07 pm

yeslekkkk wrote:
llpnw3 wrote:
2015 or 2016 probably were years of experimentation with removing the public list. Maybe with all the scrutiny going on, they're aiming to be as transparent as possible?

Let's just hope we all end up on it.
This is the one time I'd rather they not be transparent. :oops:

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm

3 days, 6 hours, 35 minutes, 58 seconds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”