2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Alt123 wrote:
logical seasoning wrote:Im wondering if anyone else is studying wills and corporations **light**

They asked about wills and corps for the february exam, and they haven't went back to back on those questions in like 20 years.
They did back to back wills & Trusts in July 2014 > Feb 2015, but I DOUBT they do it again. I assume if they are going to test Business Associations, they will test partnerships and agency, since they just tested Corp last time like you said.

I am just keeping myself aware of the major Corp issues and hoping they don't have a purely dedicated federal securities essay (because it seems like it's normally a sub-part in recent essays, and not the subject of a full essay so I've been focusing on other Corp areas more).
I've made sure to learn those specifically because they hit most of the other areas back in February. Also, when I opened the first essay during bar prep with that/those subjects on them a few weeks back, the only thing that came to mind was "insider trading." My essay would have literally been two words long.

Personally, I'm just hoping they avoid the entire subject altogether.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:42 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
Alt123 wrote:MINIMUM COMPETENCY

*wheezes anxiously*
Ha-ha.

I've heard that term bandied about several times.

Lies!

I honestly do think some people comfort themselves with it though. Maybe it takes the pressure off and allows one to relax. Whatever works.

Yesterday, for about 20 minutes, I actually had an earnest debate with myself about the merits of drinking before the exam. Something along the lines of, "I'm the one who has to take it; I'm paying for it, so why shouldn't I be able to go in with a good buzz??? Why, I should be able to take in a gigantic thermos of motherf'ing Red Bull and Vodka if it's my prerogative!" Then I ate something and the sheer rationality and reasonableness of the notion went away.

But no coffee? Seriously? How can I achieve "minimum competency" without being jacked on syrupy-thick black coffee for 6.5 hours?
I stopped drinking coffee 3 years ago to prepare for exactly this moment.

Jk.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:46 pm

bacillusanthracis wrote:
Alt123 wrote:MINIMUM COMPETENCY

*wheezes anxiously*
Ha-ha.

I've heard that term bandied about several times.

Lies!

I honestly do think some people comfort themselves with it though. Maybe it takes the pressure off and allows one to relax. Whatever works.

Yesterday, for about 20 minutes, I actually had an earnest debate with myself about the merits of drinking before the exam. Something along the lines of, "I'm the one who has to take it; I'm paying for it, so why shouldn't I be able to go in with a good buzz??? Why, I should be able to take in a gigantic thermos of motherf'ing Red Bull and Vodka if it's my prerogative!" Then I ate something and the sheer rationality and reasonableness of the notion went away.

But no coffee? Seriously? How can I achieve "minimum competency" without being jacked on syrupy-thick black coffee for 6.5 hours?
5 hour energy is great, keep me caffeinated but not too much water to make me go to bathroom too often.

varcom24

New

Post by varcom24 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:53 pm

shit can we really not bring coffee into the exam? No food/drink at all? Idk how I missed that until now

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Is it just me, or is the admissions screen down? I'm trying to reprint my admissions ticket and I can't get to the page.

https://sbc.calbar.ca.gov/default.aspx

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jellybelly13

New

Post by jellybelly13 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:22 pm

longtimelurker123 wrote:Is it just me, or is the admissions screen down? I'm trying to reprint my admissions ticket and I can't get to the page.

hey having same prob...

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:35 pm

varcom24 wrote:shit can we really not bring coffee into the exam? No food/drink at all? Idk how I missed that until now
No, you can't bring any drinks or food into exam room at least that is the rule of ONT. My former jurisdiction actually provides free coffee and tea for all test takers.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, no beverages. I believe you can leave them outside and take a break but then of course, you're losing test time.

My plan is to down my 20oz coffee an hour+ before the exam and hope it carries me through the morning session.

varcom24

New

Post by varcom24 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:36 pm

damn, didn't realize that. although it's pretty clear once I actually read the rules so stupid question on my part.

If Oakland has free coffee that'd be great

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm

varcom24 wrote:damn, didn't realize that. although it's pretty clear once I actually read the rules so stupid question on my part.

I don't think any CA test center offers coffee or tea. They only want money from you.

varcom24

New

Post by varcom24 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:10 pm

maxmartin wrote:
varcom24 wrote:damn, didn't realize that. although it's pretty clear once I actually read the rules so stupid question on my part.

I don't think any CA test center offers coffee or tea. They only want money from you.
Yeah that checks out

longtimelurker123

New

Post by longtimelurker123 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:26 pm

jellybelly13 wrote:
longtimelurker123 wrote:Is it just me, or is the admissions screen down? I'm trying to reprint my admissions ticket and I can't get to the page.

hey having same prob...
Hm. Glad I'm not not the only one.

Desert rat

New

Post by Desert rat » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm

maxmartin wrote:

There were drinking fountains near the restrooms in the cavernous room in Ontario. I don't believe you can access the stuff you leave outside the room until after the test is over. So no visit to the backpack to get a snack or coffee. Only water from the fountain.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dlrbfl

New

Post by dlrbfl » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Desert rat wrote:
maxmartin wrote:

There were drinking fountains near the restrooms in the cavernous room in Ontario. I don't believe you can access the stuff you leave outside the room until after the test is over. So no visit to the backpack to get a snack or coffee. Only water from the fountain.
How far are the testing rooms in Ontario from the restrooms?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:34 pm

dlrbfl wrote:
Desert rat wrote:
maxmartin wrote:

How far are the testing rooms in Ontario from the restrooms?
Depends where you sit, the restroom is inside the testing hall. It could be several feet to hundred feet. It is a convention center, the hall is huge.

omar.comin

New

Post by omar.comin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:29 am

I have a supplemental jurisdiction question y'all..

P (CA) sues D1 (TX) for $80K in federal court, diversity jurisdiction.

D1 (TX) impleads D2 (TX), under rule 14. This comes under SJx.

Can P now assert a claim of $30K that arose out of the same T/O against D2?

I would think so, since P and D2 are still diverse. However, a strict reading of 1367b suggests that this isn't possible

In any civil action of which the district courts have original jurisdiction founded solely on section 1332 of this title, the district courts shall not have supplemental jurisdiction under subsection (a) over claims by plaintiffs against persons made parties under Rule 14, 19, 20, or 24 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, or over claims by persons proposed to be joined as plaintiffs under Rule 19 of such rules, or seeking to intervene as plaintiffs under Rule 24 of such rules, when exercising supplemental jurisdiction over such claims would be inconsistent with the jurisdictional requirements of section 1332.

Here, there's a claim by a plaintiff against a person made party under rule 14. Additionally, exercising jurisdiction in P v. D2 would be against the jurisdictional requirements of section 1332, since the AiC is <$75K (even though diversity of citizenship is satisfied). I sold my E&E lol so I can't look up this exact scenario...

kaytraco1

New

Post by kaytraco1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Should we bring the long cord in order to charge MACs? Or are outlets / power strips close enough that the long cord isn't needed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Desert rat

New

Post by Desert rat » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:32 pm

kaytraco1 wrote:Should we bring the long cord in order to charge MACs? Or are outlets / power strips close enough that the long cord isn't needed?
In Ontario they were on the floor by your feet. You shared with person next to you. So cord that could reach the ground. The tables they used there are not very deep....the kind long, narrow kind you use at conferences.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Was just going through the exam instructions again and read this:

"6. At some time during administration of the examination, you will be required to provide your
fingerprints. If you refuse to provide the required fingerprints, a Chapter 6 Notice will be issued to you."

What does this mean? They're going to pull me aside and take my fingerprints? Or do I need to bring yet another fingerprint card with me?
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:11 pm

mcmand wrote:Was just going through the exam instructions again and read this:

"6. At some time during administration of the examination, you will be required to provide your
fingerprints. If you refuse to provide the required fingerprints, a Chapter 6 Notice will be issued to you."

What does this mean? They're going to pull me aside and take my fingerprints? Or do I need to bring yet another fingerprint card with me?
The point is to ensure that the person taking the exam is you. It would make no sense to have people bring a fingerprint card if the goal is identification. They'll probably have you give fingerprints when signing in.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:39 pm

They usually do this at the beginning of an afternoon session. The forms and fingerprint ink will be on your desk, and you will DIY. However, they do check if you provide the correct fingerprint. PPL are detained after the exam session to provide the correct fingerprint.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:40 pm

t-14orbust wrote:

The point is to ensure that the person taking the exam is you. It would make no sense to have people bring a fingerprint card if the goal is identification. They'll probably have you give fingerprints when signing in.
Not sign in, imagine how long the line would be.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:17 pm

maxmartin wrote:

They usually do this at the beginning of an afternoon session. The forms and fingerprint ink will be on your desk, and you will DIY. However, they do check if you provide the correct fingerprint. PPL are detained after the exam session to provide the correct fingerprint.
Someone must have previously cheated in a preposterously complicated way to warrant such an overbearing procedure. What a pain.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:31 pm

mcmand wrote:
maxmartin wrote:

Someone must have previously cheated in a preposterously complicated way to warrant such an overbearing procedure. What a pain.
I don't think it is that complicated otherwise it would be so easy to ask someone to take the exam for you and use your identity card.

Elzeard Bouffier

New

Post by Elzeard Bouffier » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Can someone confirm/deny that I can a) bring a backpack to the test center (but not into the exam room) and b) access the backpack during the exam (assuming I walk out of the room)? I'll be taking it in Oakland if that makes any difference.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”