2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
SurfLaw

New

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by SurfLaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 pm

thisisxael wrote:yeah, cuz the reason i said "had to" was because i just had no idea that you could extend a night in the hotel. wow thanks for telling me that is so illuminating thanks for the help tls
To be fair though, you didn't seem to know how checking items with a hotel works, so.... I was just joking around and giving a suggestion that I thought might make the cost worth the benefit.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 am

Are the desks/tables big? Or do we get tiny individual desks? I hope I don't have to fight for real estate with my laptop on test day.

Also, anyone have suggestions for an approved clock to keep time during the MBE on Wednesday?

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 am

CAnow wrote:
psg190 wrote:
Alt123 wrote:Unless you really haven't been able to prepare at all, I might still take it and hope for a very gracious retroactive adjustment by the state supreme court.
My prep tutor is strongly geared toward second time takers who previously took a big box prep course. Given that I've been out of school for 5 years I've been inundated with rust on the substantive law and pounding out open book essays/MBEs hasn't made much of a dent in terms of retention.
I have been out of law school for 15 years, so I feel what you feel. I say stick with it and take the exam. Most people who are about to take the exam feel that they don't know enough to pass, and this is about the time when panic starts to set in. Don't let it overcome you. Besides, you don't want to go the next several months (or perhaps years) wondering how you would have fared if you had just taken the exam. Unlike some other states, California doesn't place limits on the number of times a person can sit for the bar exam.
Appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure what to do when I keep drawing random essays and only get as far as staring blankly at the prompts. This is a law knowledge issue which my $6,000 tutor kept pressing was not something to be concerned about. Think my death warrant has been signed.

scubasteve2

New

Post by scubasteve2 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 am

Does anyone know the difference between heirs devisees and assigns and when to use each term on the California bar exam? I haven't found an explanation that makes sense.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 am

scubasteve2 wrote:Does anyone know the difference between heirs devisees and assigns and when to use each term on the California bar exam? I haven't found an explanation that makes sense.
Heirs are what you have when you die without a will. Devisees are what you have when you bequeath something via will. Assigns are what you have when someone is entitled to performance or given a power of appointment under a will or trust.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whats an updog

Bronze

Post by whats an updog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am

psg190 wrote:
CAnow wrote:
psg190 wrote:
Alt123 wrote:Unless you really haven't been able to prepare at all, I might still take it and hope for a very gracious retroactive adjustment by the state supreme court.
My prep tutor is strongly geared toward second time takers who previously took a big box prep course. Given that I've been out of school for 5 years I've been inundated with rust on the substantive law and pounding out open book essays/MBEs hasn't made much of a dent in terms of retention.
I have been out of law school for 15 years, so I feel what you feel. I say stick with it and take the exam. Most people who are about to take the exam feel that they don't know enough to pass, and this is about the time when panic starts to set in. Don't let it overcome you. Besides, you don't want to go the next several months (or perhaps years) wondering how you would have fared if you had just taken the exam. Unlike some other states, California doesn't place limits on the number of times a person can sit for the bar exam.
Appreciate the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure what to do when I keep drawing random essays and only get as far as staring blankly at the prompts. This is a law knowledge issue which my $6,000 tutor kept pressing was not something to be concerned about. Think my death warrant has been signed.
You paid a tutor $6,000?

SurfLaw

New

Post by SurfLaw » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 pm

whats an updog wrote:
psg190 wrote:
CAnow wrote:
psg190 wrote:
You paid a tutor $6,000?
Maybe it was in lieu of a bar course? Kaplan's 10 hour tutoring packages are $2000, so if he got 30+ hours of tutoring, it's probably close to the going rate (whether or not that is a justified going rate is another story, but then again, people qualified to tutor presumably have passed the bar, and some attorneys command over $1000 an hour, so maybe the supply of people qualified to tutor is low since a lot of attorneys could get well over $200/hour if money is all that matters, and presumably the tutor loses a good chunk of the $200/hr to a company like Kaplan).

I'm went on this tangent because I don't wanna do another PR essay right now haha.

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

whats an updog wrote:
psg190 wrote:
CAnow wrote:
psg190 wrote:
You paid a tutor $6,000?
Sure did. Former bar grader. Tutoring was in lieu of a prep course.

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 pm

psg190 wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
psg190 wrote:
CAnow wrote:
psg190 wrote:
You paid a tutor $6,000?
$6,000? Wow. I don't even think the bar course is worth several thousand. You can buy BarBri or Kaplan books on ebay and supplement that with BarEssays.com and Adaptibar and get all of the material you will ever need for well under $1,000. Does anyone really think the lectures are worth several thousand dollars more? I thought they were a waste of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 pm

barjamie8 wrote: $6,000? Wow. I don't even think the bar course is worth several thousand. You can buy BarBri or Kaplan books on ebay and supplement that with BarEssays.com and Adaptibar and get all of the material you will ever need for well under $1,000. Does anyone really think the lectures are worth several thousand dollars more? I thought they were a waste of time.
I will clarify that there were 26 essays hand graded, 6 PTs hand graded, and a few in person strategy sessions. That and I'm 5 years removed from law school and never sat for the exam. Was hoping to just knock it out of the park. Instead I'm getting hit with haymakers.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 pm

psg190 wrote:
whats an updog wrote:
psg190 wrote:
CAnow wrote:
psg190 wrote:
You paid a tutor $6,000?
That is too much. As a former grader, he may have some insight of essay writing. But how do you know if he is any good at tutoring MBE? Especially MBE is now at 50% of your total score.

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm

maxmartin wrote: That is too much. As a former grader, he may have some insight of essay writing. But how do you know if he is any good at tutoring MBE? Especially MBE is now at 50% of your total score.
I would definitely have chosen a different approach if I could start over again. I now have pretty essays and limited understanding of the substantive law.

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 am

maxmartin wrote: That is too much. As a former grader, he may have some insight of essay writing. But how do you know if he is any good at tutoring MBE? Especially MBE is now at 50% of your total score.

Pretty sure I had the same tutor as psg190.

Yes, the tutor costs a lot. Is the tutor going to help you take the exam and learn the material? No, that's not what a tutor is for. A tutor is more like your guide to taking the bar exam. Is getting a tutor a surefire way to pass? No, because plenty of people have failed even with former-bar grader tutors.

At the end of the day though, psg190's tutor is legit. I can vouch for him personally especially having passed with him the first time. He does tutor MBEs to some extent, but his bread and butter and why people go with him is the essays/PTs. Although of course now the format is changing (1 90 min PT, 50% MBE, and now maybe a lowered cut score?) and so could affect his future student enrollment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:14 am

dredd16 wrote:Pretty sure I had the same tutor as psg190.

Yes, the tutor costs a lot. Is the tutor going to help you take the exam and learn the material? No, that's not what a tutor is for. A tutor is more like your guide to taking the bar exam. Is getting a tutor a surefire way to pass? No, because plenty of people have failed even with former-bar grader tutors.

At the end of the day though, psg190's tutor is legit. I can vouch for him personally especially having passed with him the first time. He does tutor MBEs to some extent, but his bread and butter and why people go with him is the essays/PTs. Although of course now the format is changing (1 90 min PT, 50% MBE, and now maybe a lowered cut score?) and so could affect his future student enrollment.
If the same person, I agree he is good at what he does - helping to formulate logical essays/PTs.

Also, looks like he helped you pass the second time, not first and you previously knew the black letter law fairly well via BarBri. That speaks to my issue. The "all you could ever need" substantive package wasn't sufficient for my needs as a true first time taker and I feel I'd have done better with something more formal.

mimim8

New

Post by mimim8 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 pm

varcom24 wrote:
mimim8 wrote:
varcom24 wrote:Anyone thinking of doing the PT first, then going back to the essays in the afternoon session?

I thought about it. My plan is to do a timed practice 2 essay 1 MPT session one of these days and see how that works out. So I definitely want to try it out first.

Timing is an issue for me with the MPTs I'm concerned that having to flash read 20+ pages after plowing through 2 essays is going to take more time than it would otherwise if I'm fresh and not still thinking about the 2 prior questions. On the other hand, since I know time for me in an issue here, I don't want to do it first and feel like I have SO much time left for the essays and steal essay time.
Yeah, my thought process is similar. PTs are easy as far as not requiring any legal knowledge to do well. But it's a time crunch. digesting the library/file, figuring out the right way to format the final product (and it seems like there usually is pretty much one right way to do it), and then actually writing enough to cover all important facts is difficult and leaves little room for error. I'm thinking it makes sense to do that first while fresh, because once you hit the essays you're in much more familiar territory and only have to focus on recalling and applying the rules we've been studying for months now
Update:

I did a practice half day yesterday with the PT first and two essays after.

Cons:
1. I still wasn't able to finish the PT in time but I promised myself that I would stop at 1:30 no matter what and I did. (any one have any clues/recs as to what might help me with this PT time management problem?)
2. I was momentarily bummed out about not being able to finish and that general feeling lingered for a few mins as I entered the first essay. Considering that if I don't have enough time to finish on exam day I will most likely be MORE bummed out going into the essays, this is something to reflect on if its going to affect my performance in the part that I do need to be 100% confident.

Pros:
1. It was easy to focus on the essays after the PT. I was glad/relieved even to be able to think to myself that this was essay time and not have to worry about having the PT time consuming monster to worry about after.
2. I felt the "energy" of having to rush through the PT helped "warm up" my brain so I was already "in the zone" when I got to the essay and wasnt feeling tired or anything.
3. While doing the 2nd essay (last hour) which was a real property essay, I felt a little crunched for time. I felt that if I had done this essay before the PT I would have most likely wanted to steal time from PT to finish it- which I definitely cant do if I want to give my PT a real chance. At the end I was able to wrap up the essay within the hour and all was good in terms of covering all the issues so I didnt really need the extra time.

Conclusion...

Still undecided but... the sense of relief described in Pro #1 might finally convince me to do the PT first.

varcom24

New

Post by varcom24 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm

mimim8 wrote:
varcom24 wrote:
mimim8 wrote:
varcom24 wrote:Anyone thinking of doing the PT first, then going back to the essays in the afternoon session?

I thought about it. My plan is to do a timed practice 2 essay 1 MPT session one of these days and see how that works out. So I definitely want to try it out first.

Timing is an issue for me with the MPTs I'm concerned that having to flash read 20+ pages after plowing through 2 essays is going to take more time than it would otherwise if I'm fresh and not still thinking about the 2 prior questions. On the other hand, since I know time for me in an issue here, I don't want to do it first and feel like I have SO much time left for the essays and steal essay time.
Yeah, my thought process is similar. PTs are easy as far as not requiring any legal knowledge to do well. But it's a time crunch. digesting the library/file, figuring out the right way to format the final product (and it seems like there usually is pretty much one right way to do it), and then actually writing enough to cover all important facts is difficult and leaves little room for error. I'm thinking it makes sense to do that first while fresh, because once you hit the essays you're in much more familiar territory and only have to focus on recalling and applying the rules we've been studying for months now
Update:

I did a practice half day yesterday with the PT first and two essays after.

Cons:
1. I still wasn't able to finish the PT in time but I promised myself that I would stop at 1:30 no matter what and I did. (any one have any clues/recs as to what might help me with this PT time management problem?)
2. I was momentarily bummed out about not being able to finish and that general feeling lingered for a few mins as I entered the first essay. Considering that if I don't have enough time to finish on exam day I will most likely be MORE bummed out going into the essays, this is something to reflect on if its going to affect my performance in the part that I do need to be 100% confident.

Pros:
1. It was easy to focus on the essays after the PT. I was glad/relieved even to be able to think to myself that this was essay time and not have to worry about having the PT time consuming monster to worry about after.
2. I felt the "energy" of having to rush through the PT helped "warm up" my brain so I was already "in the zone" when I got to the essay and wasnt feeling tired or anything.
3. While doing the 2nd essay (last hour) which was a real property essay, I felt a little crunched for time. I felt that if I had done this essay before the PT I would have most likely wanted to steal time from PT to finish it- which I definitely cant do if I want to give my PT a real chance. At the end I was able to wrap up the essay within the hour and all was good in terms of covering all the issues so I didnt really need the extra time.

Conclusion...

Still undecided but... the sense of relief described in Pro #1 might finally convince me to do the PT first.
I also gave it a try. I went over time on the PT, and it left me a little disoriented when I finally wrapped up.I'm starting to feel pretty good about writing decent essays without a full hour, so I think I'm just going to make an effort to save ~10 minutes meant for each of the essays and then give myself ~110 at the end for the PT

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:04 pm

psg190 wrote:
dredd16 wrote:Pretty sure I had the same tutor as psg190.

If the same person, I agree he is good at what he does - helping to formulate logical essays/PTs.

Also, looks like he helped you pass the second time, not first and you previously knew the black letter law fairly well via BarBri. That speaks to my issue. The "all you could ever need" substantive package wasn't sufficient for my needs as a true first time taker and I feel I'd have done better with something more formal.
When I retook it the 2nd time, I pretty much started with more or less a blank slate because I had forgotten everything I had studied 4 months earlier. I have a short term memory with regards every test that I study for.

His package is sufficient for a true first time taker imo. He gives everything you need to know the bare bones of the law and do well on the essay portion.

Adaptibar & MBE practice comes in to color in the understanding of BLL (the parameters and limitations of particular rules).

Barbri and big commercial prep programs give students too much information and that causes students to think that they don't know enough of the law/rules to do well on the exam.

Honestly all you need to study for the bar is someone's concise bar outlines (Leansheets,Magicsheets, whatever), Adaptibar, and Baressays (or any other resource that is going to assist you in learning how to write actual essays that the CA bar graders want).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:35 pm

dredd16 wrote: When I retook it the 2nd time, I pretty much started with more or less a blank slate because I had forgotten everything I had studied 4 months earlier. I have a short term memory with regards every test that I study for.

His package is sufficient for a true first time taker imo. He gives everything you need to know the bare bones of the law and do well on the essay portion.
As a true first time taker I respectfully disagree.

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm

psg190 wrote:
dredd16 wrote: When I retook it the 2nd time, I pretty much started with more or less a blank slate because I had forgotten everything I had studied 4 months earlier. I have a short term memory with regards every test that I study for.

As a true first time taker I respectfully disagree.
Right now, you're freaking out because the bar is coming up. It does you no good for me to get in a back-and-forth conversation with you.

I hope that you studied your ass off with Adaptibar/real-MBE practice questions and wish you the best of luck!

Remember that the bar exam is a minimum competency exam. You don't need to know every iteration and limitation of a rule on the essays, only if it concerns the facts.

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm

dredd16 wrote: Right now, you're freaking out because the bar is coming up. It does you no good for me to get in a back-and-forth conversation with you.

I hope that you studied your ass off with Adaptibar/real-MBE practice questions and wish you the best of luck!

Remember that the bar exam is a minimum competency exam. You don't need to know every iteration and limitation of a rule on the essays, only if it concerns the facts.
I'm not the one laying false claims about using a tutor as a first time taker. I did all of the above and I'm skipping the exam next week due to not being adequately prepared.

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

psg190 wrote:
dredd16 wrote: Right now, you're freaking out because the bar is coming up. It does you no good for me to get in a back-and-forth conversation with you.

I'm not the one laying false claims about using a tutor as a first time taker. I did all of the above and I'm skipping the exam next week due to not being adequately prepared.
At no point did I make false claims about using a tutor as a first time taker. I said that my second time was akin to taking the bar for the first time. And quite frankly, I think most retakers can probably attest to that as well because you pretty much don't study at all during the results-waiting period. Is it slightly easier to pick up the material again as a retaker? Quite possibly, but personally I did not feel that way because I had forgotten everything. Hell, even 2 weeks out from the exam I was forgetting rule statements left and right. But I am normally a crammer and it helped me tremendously that the Feb 17 exam was a 3 day-er which allowed me to guess very accurately (thanks to TLS!) what the subjects were going to be on day 3 and target my cramming.

Sorry to hear that you're not taking the exam next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Can you guys stop

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 pm

MINIMUM COMPETENCY

*wheezes anxiously*

psg190

New

Post by psg190 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Can you guys stop
Only if you can tell me how long the lunch break is.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Alt123 wrote:MINIMUM COMPETENCY

*wheezes anxiously*
This line is a crock and it's heard everywhere. It's like saying the Olympic trials are just minimum competency for competing in the Olympics - which they are. However, this by no means says that it's easy or you should be able to conquer it without hard work. The bar is the same. Don't underestimate this thing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”