2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:07 pm

does 1 essay grader grade all 6 of your essays or does each essay get a different grader?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 am

gaddockteeg wrote:does 1 essay grader grade all 6 of your essays or does each essay get a different grader?
Each essay gets a different grader

Pbjd21

New

Post by Pbjd21 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Ok so I went over the breakdown for the torts question out of curiosity on the argument for and against strict products liability.

Without re opening that wound, and of course assuming his breakdown is close to a model answer, discussing only negligence with a heavy emphasis on the superseding/intervening proximate cause issue for the driver and discussing negligence with emphasis on risk/utility balancing for electric company and hitting on the tag on issue of joint tortfeasors and damages, can one reasonably expect a passing score while missing the SPL issue?

Of course im overthinking it but I figure passing this essay goes a long way to my sanity as I only felt horrible on the attorney/client privilege essay (praying for a 60) but pretty solid on the rest minus this torts i felt iffy once i read everyone's thoughts on the whole question. Any opinion is appreciated!

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Pbjd21 wrote:Ok so I went over the breakdown for the torts question out of curiosity on the argument for and against strict products liability.

Without re opening that wound, and of course assuming his breakdown is close to a model answer, discussing only negligence with a heavy emphasis on the superseding/intervening proximate cause issue for the driver and discussing negligence with emphasis on risk/utility balancing for electric company and hitting on the tag on issue of joint tortfeasors and damages, can one reasonably expect a passing score while missing the SPL issue?

Of course im overthinking it but I figure passing this essay goes a long way to my sanity as I only felt horrible on the attorney/client privilege essay (praying for a 60) but pretty solid on the rest minus this torts i felt iffy once i read everyone's thoughts on the whole question. Any opinion is appreciated!
Your guess is probably as good as anyone else's, and it is heavily dependent on how well you analyzed the other issues. At a high level of generality, I would bet that you could still score well over a 60 even if you missed SPL, but this is just me guessing. Good luck!

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:50 pm

a male human wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:does 1 essay grader grade all 6 of your essays or does each essay get a different grader?
Yeah, the graders are assigned one essay and grade only those essays. So if you're the torts essay grader, you only grade the torts essays. So I imagine that your six essays are graded by six different people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:36 pm

BulletTooth wrote:
a male human wrote:
Yeah, the graders are assigned one essay and grade only those essays. So if you're the torts essay grader, you only grade the torts essays. So I imagine that your six essays are graded by six different people.
Got it, thanks. That's significantly more preferable than being at the whims of just 1 person.

I-object

New

Post by I-object » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Torts Essay. Yes, much like re-opening a wound.

In reading threads, Didn't see much talk about substantial factor, which was plausible. Each tortfeasor (driver and Utility Co ) were the actual cause with respect to their own separate actions. On balance, Proximate Cause was a meaty issue because facts lend to discussing who was more at fault -drivers use of cell phone (negligence) or Utility Co's failure to use safety device (SL). So yes causation was important, but determining liability would require a coherent discussion about apportioning fault, hence the apportionment issue in Call 3.

I honestly believe credit will be given whether or not SPL was discussed, so long as discussing and explaining causation regarding each defendants negligence or action (SL). This is so because each theory requires causation discussion. So once developed, call 3 could have discussed Contribution if driver had to pay more than the Utility Co , or Joint & Several Liability if negligence was found by both from same event.

I truly believe credit will be giving discussing proximate cause, fault, and liability regardless of specific theory.

Lets see the debrief from Bar Secrets ... they seem to have only released Essay 1 (the community property essay)

Pbjd21

New

Post by Pbjd21 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:45 pm

I-object wrote:Torts Essay. Yes, much like re-opening a wound.

In reading threads, Didn't see much talk about substantial factor, which was plausible. Each tortfeasor (driver and Utility Co ) were the actual cause with respect to their own separate actions. On balance, Proximate Cause was a meaty issue because facts lend to discussing who was more at fault -drivers use of cell phone (negligence) or Utility Co's failure to use safety device (SL). So yes causation was important, but determining liability would require a coherent discussion about apportioning fault, hence the apportionment issue in Call 3.

I honestly believe credit will be given whether or not SPL was discussed, so long as discussing and explaining causation regarding each defendants negligence or action (SL). This is so because each theory requires causation discussion. So once developed, call 3 could have discussed Contribution if driver had to pay more than the Utility Co , or Joint & Several Liability if negligence was found by both from same event.

I truly believe credit will be giving discussing proximate cause, fault, and liability regardless of specific theory.

Lets see the debrief from Bar Secrets ... they seem to have only released Essay 1 (the community property essay)
That’s about what I was thinking. Given the time frame we had to write including the PT I know most discussions heavy on causation had to be in line with a good score hopefully 65. But of course hindsight is 20/20 and reading the spl discussions really gave me that “oh crap” moment. Either way I hope everyone is doing well and this whole cut score nonsense has some clarity soon. Mbe’s left me feeling 50/50 anyway as I’m sure we are all familiar with that. So here’s to fair grading and a finality on the cut score soon! Happy October. Prayers for Las Vegas as well.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:05 pm

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/10/law-sch ... endations/

Interesting read. Hope we hear something soon, I feel like I am going out of my mind waiting for the court and my results..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 am

Alt123 wrote:https://abovethelaw.com/2017/10/law-sch ... endations/

Interesting read. Hope we hear something soon, I feel like I am going out of my mind waiting for the court and my results..
Tell me about it. Can't make plans. Can't answer the questions from friends, family, and colleagues about what you're going to do. Can't keep the heartburn from coming back. Can't fully suppress the thought that on Nov. 17th, your life will change, you just don't know if it will be for the better. In those few quiet moments when you allow yourself to think that you might've passed it, and then immediately try to dismiss the thought, as if just by thinking it you've somehow jinxed your chances, you begin to hate Schroedinger's cat. I hate this.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:48 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:

Tell me about it. Can't make plans. Can't answer the questions from friends, family, and colleagues about what you're going to do. Can't keep the heartburn from coming back. Can't fully suppress the thought that on Nov. 17th, your life will change, you just don't know if it will be for the better. In those few quiet moments when you allow yourself to think that you might've passed it, and then immediately try to dismiss the thought, as if just by thinking it you've somehow jinxed your chances, you begin to hate Schroedinger's cat. I hate this.
You said it, dude. It's quite a limbo in there. Waiting is just as hard as preparing for and taking the test.

Have you tried making projections of possible score ranges to predict your chances of passing as a way to pass the time without being in despair?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

crossing fingers for a 133 ha.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 pm

a male human wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:

You said it, dude. It's quite a limbo in there. Waiting is just as hard as preparing for and taking the test.

Have you tried making projections of possible score ranges to predict your chances of passing as a way to pass the time without being in despair?
That would make my anxiety worse. I just try not to think about it and prepare for the worst outcome when I do think about it. If my expectations are low, then I'll be marginally less devastated when the worst happens and ecstatic if I pass.

I also try not to beat myself up about potential bad outcomes like losing my job or something. It's just another hurdle to tackle when it arrives.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:22 pm

InterAlia1961 wrote:

Can't make plans.
This is the worst part. I feel like my entire life is on hold until I get my results.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:25 pm

a male human wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:

I have. I'm certain of double nickles on the second essay. The others, including the PT, I reasonably believe I hit at least 60. Then there's the MBE. I just don't know on it. Some days, I'm certain I passed it. Others, I'm certain I failed it.

fear_no_evil

New

Post by fear_no_evil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Great article in the LA Times today about the cut score issue.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editoria ... story.html

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:37 pm

fear_no_evil wrote:Great article in the LA Times today about the cut score issue.

didn't know about the jerry brown thing. this is getting my hopes up though. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pbjd21

New

Post by Pbjd21 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am

InterAlia1961 wrote:
a male human wrote:
InterAlia1961 wrote:

I have. I'm certain of double nickles on the second essay. The others, including the PT, I reasonably believe I hit at least 60. Then there's the MBE. I just don't know on it. Some days, I'm certain I passed it. Others, I'm certain I failed it.
For what it’s worth I feel EXACTLY the same way. Essay 2 easily worst one, rest I felt solid 60-65 range minimum. Mbe is what it is. Some days I imagine the celebration knowing I passed. Others the despair wondering when to dust off the study materials. Stay strong everybody cut score be damned.

melainaa

New

Post by melainaa » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Hey guys!

So I just found out I passed Nevada, and I'm looking to take on the CA bar next. As I already shelled out a pretty penny for Barbri, I was wondering if any of you lovely people were planning on selling your set of July 2017-February 2018 Barbri books (with the Handout book, naturally)? Legible handwriting is somewhat necessary, although I don't care about highlights ;)

I'd be happy to take them off your hands, once y'all find out you passed!! :)

Thank you!

fear_no_evil

New

Post by fear_no_evil » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:59 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
fear_no_evil wrote:Great article in the LA Times today about the cut score issue.

didn't know about the jerry brown thing. this is getting my hopes up though. :lol:
I am confident the Supreme Court will adjust the cut score. My bet is on 1390. But, will they do it in time for the July 2017 exam? :?

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 am

fear_no_evil wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:

I am confident the Supreme Court will adjust the cut score. My bet is on 1390. But, will they do it in time for the July 2017 exam? :?
The cut score decision will be made before results are released and, by all indications, any changes (should they take place) should be retroactive to the July 2017 exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 pm

State bar said the court needed to give its decision by the 20th of this month to have it apply.

See the footnote on page 47 of the report sent to the Court by the State Bar in this PDF:
https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/0/doc ... 122017.pdf

"43 The State Bar will need to be notified of any modified July 2017 cut score no later than October 20, 2017, in
order to implement that change such that exam results can be released as normal on the Friday before
Thanksgiving."

So I guess they can release it late, it just affects when we get our results..

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Alt123 wrote:State bar said the court needed to give its decision by the 20th of this month to have it apply.

See the footnote on page 47 of the report sent to the Court by the State Bar in this PDF:

"43 The State Bar will need to be notified of any modified July 2017 cut score no later than October 20, 2017, in
order to implement that change such that exam results can be released as normal on the Friday before
Thanksgiving."

The court will be dramatic as usual. I bet they will release the order on 20th. LOL

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:53 pm

maxmartin wrote:
Alt123 wrote:State bar said the court needed to give its decision by the 20th of this month to have it apply.

Thanksgiving."

The court will be dramatic as usual. I bet they will release the order on 20th. LOL
Most likely. I just want my goddamn results already.

InterAlia1961

Bronze

Post by InterAlia1961 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanksgiving."

Does this mean that all the essays will be graded by Oct. 20th? I'm sure the date isn't arbitrary.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”