2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
t-14orbust

Gold

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Elzeard Bouffier wrote:Can someone confirm/deny that I can a) bring a backpack to the test center (but not into the exam room) and b) access the backpack during the exam (assuming I walk out of the room)? I'll be taking it in Oakland if that makes any difference.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already!
You can bring a backpack. You cannot access it during the exam.

kaytraco1

New

Post by kaytraco1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 pm

For some reason, I've been operating under the assumption that if you get about 70% of the MBE questions correct, you need to average 65s on the essays in order to pass. However, after plugging numbers into this, it appears that 55s across the board are sufficient if 70% of MBE questions are correct: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

Can anyone comment on this?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 pm

kaytraco1 wrote:For some reason, I've been operating under the assumption that if you get about 70% of the MBE questions correct, you need to average 65s on the essays in order to pass. However, after plugging numbers into this, it appears that 55s across the board are sufficient if 70% of MBE questions are correct: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

That's wrong. You're probably putting in 150 in the MBE slot when you should be putting in 122.5. MBE raw is out of 175. It's more like 67% for straight 65s, so there would be some wiggle room at 70%, but not enough to get straight 55s. Assuming you got a 65 on the PT, you'd need to get about 75.5% right on the MBE to get straight 55s on the essays.

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:15 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
kaytraco1 wrote:For some reason, I've been operating under the assumption that if you get about 70% of the MBE questions correct, you need to average 65s on the essays in order to pass. However, after plugging numbers into this, it appears that 55s across the board are sufficient if 70% of MBE questions are correct: https://one-timers.com/one-timers-bar-exam-calculator/

That's wrong. You're probably putting in 150 in the MBE slot when you should be putting in 122.5. MBE raw is out of 175. It's more like 67% for straight 65s, so there would be some wiggle room at 70%, but not enough to get straight 55s. Assuming you got a 65 on the PT, you'd need to get about 75.5% right on the MBE to get straight 55s on the essays.
That calculator seems to be out of 200 for the MBE though?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:16 pm

PotenC wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Yeah but that makes no sense. Check out the MBE description. Says 119 is passing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 pm

God I hate Evidence. I hate having to know the CA distinctions even more. At least the essays seem to be more straight forward in what they're looking for. Anyone else have a nervous breakdown? I opened an essay this morning and it was evidence and for some reason I freaked out for 5 minutes before realizing all they were looking for in 3 of the problems was relevance.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
PotenC wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

Yeah but that makes no sense. Check out the MBE description. Says 119 is passing
Yeah but the text for the calculator says enter the average of your raw scores.

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
PotenC wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

I'm not sure if there's some internal accounting for the 25 experimental on that calculator--if you put in 119 your MBE score comes out to 683. An MBE component that's exactly passing should be around 720, since it's outta 1440 total and essay+MBE sections are both halved when determining total.

But I might be mistaken about how they calculate total, since a perfect score on that calculator gives you 1299 on the MBE, which is inconsistent with just dividing it by 2 out of 2000 for each half.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:27 pm

yeah it's definitely not very clear, and I noticed that also. It doesn't hit ~720 until you're at 124/200--whatever that means. I think it's implying a 20 point scale increase at 124 raw which would get you the passing 144. but that's over 70% so I have no idea how this is supposed to work.

It does say somewhere that he just averaged out the scales from the past 5 or so administrations or something.

All of this is to say that this calculator really shouldn't be relied on, and I still highly doubt you can get 70% correct on MBE but straight 55s on the essays and pass. I also highly doubt anyone here is gonna get straight 55s on the essays.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I think your assumption is roughly right under 35/65, but now the rule is 50/50. You can slack quite a bit on writing if you have a solid MBE score.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:God I hate Evidence. I hate having to know the CA distinctions even more. At least the essays seem to be more straight forward in what they're looking for. Anyone else have a nervous breakdown? I opened an essay this morning and it was evidence and for some reason I freaked out for 5 minutes before realizing all they were looking for in 3 of the problems was relevance.
I love evidence, you just have to spot issue and explain it in one or two sentences. Unlike other topics, especially Con law, you have to do in depth analysis which I hated.

kaytraco1

New

Post by kaytraco1 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 pm

t-14orbust wrote:

So I'm putting 140 into the MBE slot in order to reflect 70% accuracy based on their scale which is out of 200. I know the MBE raw is not out of 200, but regardless of that fact, the calculations on this website just seem to be off.

Bottomline: If you get 70% correct on the MBE (approximately 123 questions correct out of 175), you need to get better than 55s across the board in order to pass. I think that's true, right? According to this OneTimers calculators, 55s would be enough.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 pm

kaytraco1 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:

So I'm putting 140 into the MBE slot in order to reflect 70% accuracy based on their scale which is out of 200. I know the MBE raw is not out of 200, but regardless of that fact, the calculations on this website just seem to be off.

Bottomline: If you get 70% correct on the MBE (approximately 123 questions correct out of 175), you need to get better than 55s across the board in order to pass. I think that's true, right? According to this OneTimers calculators, 55s would be enough.
Yes, if you get 70% correct on MBE you'll need more than 55s to pass

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bacillusanthracis

Bronze

Post by bacillusanthracis » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:58 pm

maxmartin wrote:
dlrbfl wrote:
Desert rat wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
varcom24 wrote:damn, didn't realize that. although it's pretty clear once I actually read the rules so stupid question on my part.

If Oakland has free coffee that'd be great
I don't think any CA test center offers coffee or tea. They only want money from you.
There were drinking fountains near the restrooms in the cavernous room in Ontario. I don't believe you can access the stuff you leave outside the room until after the test is over. So no visit to the backpack to get a snack or coffee. Only water from the fountain.
How far are the testing rooms in Ontario from the restrooms?
Depends where you sit, the restroom is inside the testing hall. It could be several feet to hundred feet. It is a convention center, the hall is huge.
If it matters to anyone who's taking it in Ontario, you can go to the Ontario Convention Center tomorrow between 2 and 4 to check it out and get a feel for it. I don't know if you can see where you're going to be sitting or anything, or if some kind of familiarity helps ease anxiety, but if you're close by, it'll be open for a couple of hours. Kinda like going to check out Old Sparky before walking the Green Mile.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 pm

maxmartin wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:God I hate Evidence. I hate having to know the CA distinctions even more. At least the essays seem to be more straight forward in what they're looking for. Anyone else have a nervous breakdown? I opened an essay this morning and it was evidence and for some reason I freaked out for 5 minutes before realizing all they were looking for in 3 of the problems was relevance.
I love evidence, you just have to spot issue and explain it in one or two sentences. Unlike other topics, especially Con law, you have to do in depth analysis which I hated.
Yeah. I lost my shit and then when I calmed down I realized it's not that bad, lol. Like, the first three questions I just had to analyze whether it is relevant or not. Then some of them move onto hearsay (is it hearsay? Exception? Confrontation?) I'm just going to spend the rest of today and tomorrow issue spotting essays.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm legit not going to study Trusts. How terrible of an idea is this?

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Probably just being paranoid here - the Cal Bar website mentions a laptop release of liability form. I assume this is something we'll fill out/sign on test day? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 pm

goldenflash19 wrote:Probably just being paranoid here - the Cal Bar website mentions a laptop release of liability form. I assume this is something we'll fill out/sign on test day? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something.
As long as you have an admissions ticket and you uploaded your mock answers and completed the certification process for your laptop, you'll be fine.

Good luck to everyone. In my opinion, the Monday night before the bar exam is a very unique and special night because this exam take such a toll. Therefore, i'd recommend trying to get a good nights rest. However, if you wake up at 4 am and feel panicky and can't sleep just realize that this is normal and happens to some people. Don't make the exam harder on yourself than it has to be. Easier said than done, I know.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Best wishes all. Hope none of us return to a cal bar thread in the future (other than to share encouragement for future test-takers).
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Good luck to everyone!

Zebra

New

Post by Zebra » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:24 pm

To those who are staying at a hotel: are you checking in today? As in Monday ? I'm planning on driving to the convention center around 5am to check in (would prefer to sleep in my own bed rather than the uncomfortable gross hotel bed), then obviously staying the night for Wednesday. Is this a bad idea?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Do your best, all!
Zebra wrote:To those who are staying at a hotel: are you checking in today? As in Monday ? I'm planning on driving to the convention center around 5am to check in (would prefer to sleep in my own bed rather than the uncomfortable gross hotel bed), then obviously staying the night for Wednesday. Is this a bad idea?
Personally, I'd check in today to get all the minutiae out of the way and reserve your mental strength for the bar, not for dealing with traffic and checking in and settling in...

If sleeping in your bed will helpful, though, just do that. If you're looking to save money, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

The exam has already begun. Pull out all the stops. Don't wake up 3 hours early and commute just to skimp on $50 for a half day. It's worth protecting against your mental state from dropping even 1%. But this is, again, a personal choice. I know you may be strapped for cash, so do what you feel is the right thing to do.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:41 pm

WHATEVER happened today is over. While the advice to "put it out of your mind" is easier said than done, I don't think it's complete. I think a better approach would be to presume your performance, whatever you feel like it was, was right in the ballpark of where you want to be such that you have to perform tomorrow.

Don't take your foot off the gas, but try to relax tonight and bring the same intensity to tomorrow.

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Feel ok about: CommProp, Civ Pro, Torts
Feel uneasy about: Remedies
Feel terrible about: PR and PT

barjamie8

New

Post by barjamie8 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:28 pm

justanotheruser wrote:Feel ok about: CommProp, Civ Pro, Torts
Feel uneasy about: Remedies
Feel terrible about: PR and PT
Anybody know what sacuzzo predictions were and how these matched up? Didn't he predict con law?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”