2017 July California Bar Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nsv

New

Re: 2017 July California Bar

Post by nsv » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:44 pm

i know everyone wants to compare how they did but don't let it bring you down for tomorrow. MBEs are worth 50%, you can make a lot of loss ground tomorrow. i'm in the same boat as all of you, I still think i missed something on the first call of the civ pro question...and probably did.

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 pm

Dee099 wrote:I spent way too much time on the per se aspect knowing Harry knew damn well he wasn't part of the class intended to be protected nor the the type of harm intented to prevent

Also can someone tell me if trying to avoid Probate raised an issue for Comm prop

I just said it goes to show the intent for the collateral agreement - JT title - to change the condo from SP to CP since they didn't have an express agreement

AcidaliaPlanitia

New

Post by AcidaliaPlanitia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 pm

CAnow wrote:Received this orange card at the end of the exam:

"You must upload all four (4) exam answer files by 12:00 noon Thursday July 27, 2017"

Four???
In SD they mentioned that this was a mistake because there used to be 2 days of essays, therefore 4 exam files

RoccoPan

New

Post by RoccoPan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Does tomorrow start at the same time as today did (be there by 8:30)?

AcidaliaPlanitia

New

Post by AcidaliaPlanitia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 pm

Did anyone else mention on the Community Property essay that the attempted transfer from sole title to joint tenancy would have failed without a strawman, because joint tenancy requires unity of time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:54 pm

nsv wrote:i know everyone wants to compare how they did but don't let it bring you down for tomorrow. MBEs are worth 50%, you can make a lot of loss ground tomorrow. i'm in the same boat as all of you, I still think i missed something on the first call of the civ pro question...and probably did.
If it makes you feel better, my answer was super short. Basically: plaintiff can join as many claims as he has against defendant, regardless of whether or not they are related. There must also be PJ and SMJ with respect to both claims, which I believe there was. The end.

scubasteve2

New

Post by scubasteve2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:55 pm

when are we supposed to be there tomorrow? stranded in ontario at a hotel where everyone is taking the exam yet nobody is around

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 pm

nsv wrote:i know everyone wants to compare how they did but don't let it bring you down for tomorrow. MBEs are worth 50%, you can make a lot of loss ground tomorrow. i'm in the same boat as all of you, I still think i missed something on the first call of the civ pro question...and probably did.

I got screwed on the Joinder of Claims too.... I talked about Compulsory Joinder and Permissive FML

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 am

ManoftheHour wrote: Edit: Aight I'm gonna stop reading this stuff. I left the exam feeling pretty good and now I'm starting to have doubts. Need to focus on the MBE tomorrow.
Good plan. This rapidly became an unhealthy thread. :?
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justanotheruser

Bronze

Post by justanotheruser » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 am

yost wrote:
If it makes you feel better, my answer was super short. Basically: plaintiff can join as many claims as he has against defendant, regardless of whether or not they are related. There must also be PJ and SMJ with respect to both claims, which I believe there was. The end.
Yeah, I may have botched this too. I wasn't sure what to talk about, so I talked about how not bringing the claims together might lead to res judicata issues down the line. Eh.

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 am

I swear the CP problem was ridiculous..... got me completely off guard....nothing really fit into a category.... mostly talked about commingled funds and tracing

RoccoPan

New

Post by RoccoPan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 am

scubasteve2 wrote:when are we supposed to be there tomorrow? stranded in ontario at a hotel where everyone is taking the exam yet nobody is around
Did you find out the answer to this?

Sunny1211

New

Post by Sunny1211 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:16 am

AcidaliaPlanitia wrote:Did anyone else mention on the Community Property essay that the attempted transfer from sole title to joint tenancy would have failed without a strawman, because joint tenancy requires unity of time?

wait I said the transfer of title into JT made was a collateral agreement to rebut the SP gift presumption since the condo was a gift to him during marriage

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AcidaliaPlanitia

New

Post by AcidaliaPlanitia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:24 am

Sunny1211 wrote:
AcidaliaPlanitia wrote:Did anyone else mention on the Community Property essay that the attempted transfer from sole title to joint tenancy would have failed without a strawman, because joint tenancy requires unity of time?

wait I said the transfer of title into JT made was a collateral agreement to rebut the SP gift presumption since the condo was a gift to him during marriage
That's pretty much where I went with it too. Just mentioned after the fact that at common law you couldn't create a joint tenancy by having a husband transfer title to himself and his wife as joint tenants, because you need unity of time. I don't think it changes the analysis because I think "jointly titled" for the CP rules includes tenancy in common as well as joint tenancy.

nsv

New

Post by nsv » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:56 am

RoccoPan wrote:
scubasteve2 wrote:when are we supposed to be there tomorrow? stranded in ontario at a hotel where everyone is taking the exam yet nobody is around
Did you find out the answer to this?
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... xamination

8:20

netrag

New

Post by netrag » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 am

AcidaliaPlanitia wrote:
Sunny1211 wrote:

That's pretty much where I went with it too. Just mentioned after the fact that at common law you couldn't create a joint tenancy by having a husband transfer title to himself and his wife as joint tenants, because you need unity of time. I don't think it changes the analysis because I think "jointly titled" for the CP rules includes tenancy in common as well as joint tenancy.
Yes, re: TIC. It didn't mention survivorship, so I didn't go that route, but I am sure that you will get a few points for discussing it.

elijah54594

New

Post by elijah54594 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 am

hatethelaw wrote:Did anyone else completely miss the library? As in just use the file and then realize there was a library after........

Oh baby nooo! WHAT is you doing?!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:28 pm

I must be the only fucking idiot who missed that aggregation of marijuana sales near school answer. I put plenary power over DC instead because for some reason I kept thinking about that other case the S Ct said no aggregate (was it gun sale near schools? Or something). Fuck.

Dee099

New

Post by Dee099 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:54 pm

So CA decided to do 100 experimental questions I see.

yost

Bronze

Post by yost » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:02 pm

That was definitely tougher than I expected

CAnow

New

Post by CAnow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Dee099 wrote:So CA decided to do 100 experimental questions I see.
I think there were about five real ones in there. That's about how many of my answers I felt confident about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Weird MPT and harder than usual MBE. I think I am f... Lol

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Sunny1211 wrote:Also how did you guys analyze the transfer of Title of the condo into JT in the first question ?

I felt my analysis was super short each property
Is that Lucas Anti Lucas shit ?

varcom24

New

Post by varcom24 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 pm

maxmartin wrote:
Sunny1211 wrote:Also how did you guys analyze the transfer of Title of the condo into JT in the first question ?

I felt my analysis was super short each property
Is that Lucas Anti Lucas shit ?
I assumed that lucas applied when title is taken jointly. figured it wouldn't if title was originally taken in only one spouses name

Pearl

New

Post by Pearl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:04 pm

I thought so too: Lucas comes into play when the purchase is made with SP of one spouse or with part SP and part CP. Hal inherited his condo.
I was generous and gave Hal his the condo and the increased value of that Condo as well. However, my first thought was about Lucas too.
Now all Wendys and Hals, the jury, negligent drivers and BFPs with non-recorded mortgages are burning in my personal hell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”