PA BAR EXAM 2017 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bimmerfan

New

Re: PA BAR EXAM 2017

Post by Bimmerfan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Here's another data set. No supplements; just BarBri.

BarBri midterm: 92/200
Actual scaled MBE: 136

Total score of 271. So very painful and disappointing.

jjlaw2381

New

Post by jjlaw2381 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:57 pm

failed in July by 6 points.

February 2016:
Kaplan Simulated 120/200
Actual MBE 131.1
Essay: 147

Passed thank goodness.

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 pm

Congrats to everyone who passed. For those who didn't, I know how horrible a feeling it can be. Take some time to get your head straight and push forward to July.. Onwards always. Didn't take the Themis midterm for the mbe but was scoring around 65-70% on the practice sets and ended up with a 147 scaled mbe. Anyone have any idea what that is raw? This was my first time taking PA (passed thank god) after failing CA in July. Debating on taking CA again as I feel studying for a second bar really helped solidify concepts and fine tune things. Does anyone mind posting what their overall score was? (I ended up with a 147 for the mbe and a 166 for the essays for an overall of 312) I'm trying to gague where I fall relative to other test takers and figure out how much time I should put in for CA if I retake in July.

Bimmerfan

New

Post by Bimmerfan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:23 am

psm11 wrote:Congrats to everyone who passed. For those who didn't, I know how horrible a feeling it can be. Take some time to get your head straight and push forward to July.. Onwards always. Didn't take the Themis midterm for the mbe but was scoring around 65-70% on the practice sets and ended up with a 147 scaled mbe. Anyone have any idea what that is raw? This was my first time taking PA (passed thank god) after failing CA in July. Debating on taking CA again as I feel studying for a second bar really helped solidify concepts and fine tune things. Does anyone mind posting what their overall score was? (I ended up with a 147 for the mbe and a 166 for the essays for an overall of 312) I'm trying to gague where I fall relative to other test takers and figure out how much time I should put in for CA if I retake in July.
congrats on your 312. Just look at the PA stats on the website for successful applicants to see where you fall.

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 am

Bimmerfan wrote:
psm11 wrote:Congrats to everyone who passed. For those who didn't, I know how horrible a feeling it can be. Take some time to get your head straight and push forward to July.. Onwards always. Didn't take the Themis midterm for the mbe but was scoring around 65-70% on the practice sets and ended up with a 147 scaled mbe. Anyone have any idea what that is raw? This was my first time taking PA (passed thank god) after failing CA in July. Debating on taking CA again as I feel studying for a second bar really helped solidify concepts and fine tune things. Does anyone mind posting what their overall score was? (I ended up with a 147 for the mbe and a 166 for the essays for an overall of 312) I'm trying to gague where I fall relative to other test takers and figure out how much time I should put in for CA if I retake in July.
congrats on your 312. Just look at the PA stats on the website for successful applicants to see where you fall.
Will do. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lewello

New

Post by lewello » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:18 pm

This (Feb. 2017 PA exam) was my second bar exam and I took the same states as you have - CA & PA. I passed both the first time. I studied much harder for the CA exam than the PA one (I was working almost full time & studying an hour or two at night until the final two weeks before the exam for PA vs. no work & studying basically all day, every day for CA). But then again, as you stated the second time studying really solidifies a lot of concepts. If you plan to practice state law in CA it would be worth taking again. If not, you're wasting a second summer + $450/year to be licensed there (or $200, I believe, if you're inactive - but then what's the point? haha). Best of luck if you decide to take it again!

Nyjdgirl

Bronze

Post by Nyjdgirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 pm

jjlaw2381 wrote:failed in July by 6 points.

February 2016:
Kaplan Simulated 120/200
Actual MBE 131.1

Passed thank goodness.
Congrats on passing! Its good to know that one does not need a amazing MBE to pass this test. im hoping that my MBE stays the same from July and that I can get more points on the MEE. Did you feel confident with the MEE?

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 pm

lewello wrote:

This (Feb. 2017 PA exam) was my second bar exam and I took the same states as you have - CA & PA. I passed both the first time. I studied much harder for the CA exam than the PA one (I was working almost full time & studying an hour or two at night until the final two weeks before the exam for PA vs. no work & studying basically all day, every day for CA). But then again, as you stated the second time studying really solidifies a lot of concepts. If you plan to practice state law in CA it would be worth taking again. If not, you're wasting a second summer + $450/year to be licensed there (or $200, I believe, if you're inactive - but then what's the point? haha). Best of luck if you decide to take it again!
Thanks for the advice. I'm from PA and most of my family and friends are here (that's why I took PA). I spent my law school summers working in LA and after taking CA in July I moved to LA to find a job l, which after 3 months and an unsucceful bar exam I couldn't find one. Fast forward to now and I have two job offers in LA that will require me to eventually take the bar and I feel I should take it sooner, while it's still fresh, than later.

I'm just curious to know if I really have a good understanding of this stuff or if PA is that much "easier" than CA. I was significantly under, points wise, what's needed to pass CA and significantly over what was needed to pass PA.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm

psm11 wrote:
lewello wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I'm from PA and most of my family and friends are here (that's why I took PA). I spent my law school summers working in LA and after taking CA in July I moved to LA to find a job l, which after 3 months and an unsucceful bar exam I couldn't find one. Fast forward to now and I have two job offers in LA that will require me to eventually take the bar and I feel I should take it sooner, while it's still fresh, than later.

I'm just curious to know if I really have a good understanding of this stuff or if PA is that much "easier" than CA. I was significantly under, points wise, what's needed to pass CA and significantly over what was needed to pass PA.
What is your CBX scale MBE score that you failed? 147 is a pretty decent MBE score. In the coming July, the MBE will increase to 50%. I think you will have a much better chance to pass in the July.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:51 pm

maxmartin wrote:
psm11 wrote:
lewello wrote:

What is your CBX scale MBE score that you failed? 147 is a pretty decent MBE score. In the coming July, the MBE will increase to 50%. I think you will have a much better chance to pass in the July.
It was a 1364.0 which I'm told is like a 136.4.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:55 pm

psm11 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
psm11 wrote:
lewello wrote:

Yep, it looks like you increased your MBE score significantly. Maybe the 25 is working for you :mrgreen: If you can maintain 147 and above, the chance of passing CBX in July is pretty good.

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:08 pm

maxmartin wrote:
psm11 wrote:
maxmartin wrote:
psm11 wrote:
lewello wrote:

Yep, it looks like you increased your MBE score significantly. Maybe the 25 is working for you :mrgreen: If you can maintain 147 and above, the chance of passing CBX in July is pretty good.
Thanks for the kind words. Haha I like to think I understood things better this time too haha

jjlaw2381

New

Post by jjlaw2381 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:14 am

Nyjdgirl wrote:
jjlaw2381 wrote:failed in July by 6 points.

February 2016:
Kaplan Simulated 120/200
Actual MBE 131.1

Passed thank goodness.
Congrats on passing! Its good to know that one does not need a amazing MBE to pass this test. im hoping that my MBE stays the same from July and that I can get more points on the MEE. Did you feel confident with the MEE?
I was always pretty confident with the essays in July I missed a couple PA specific issues so made sure I stayed on top of that the second tiem around and made sure that I did a number of performance tests to boost the scores.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawyerinwaiting89

Bronze

Post by Lawyerinwaiting89 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 am

Hi everyone and congrats to those who passed! I'm taking the July 17 PA Bar exam and am wondering if anyone is selling the Barbri PA materials? I have a lot of MBE materials and also Kaplan materials for PA from a past administration. I'm particularly interested in Barbri's PA essay book because it has past essay questions/answers. I've looked around on eBay and Amazon and can't find exactly what I'm looking for except one really old book... So if anyone is selling the essay book and/or PA materials, PM me! Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”