ALL THINGS ILLINOIS BAR EXAM Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
diatribe

New

Re: ALL THINGS ILLINOIS BAR EXAM

Post by diatribe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:44 pm

Good luck to all you Illinoisians. I know if you do not pass the last thing you will want to do is post about it on here. But I hope you will at least report your MBE results here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=200

Surveys are the worst kind of statistical data because there is a reporting bias, so your info (pass or fail) is important. I look forward to hearing about your successes. As a fellow bar examinee (California), I will also be grieving with you

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 am

I PASSED!!

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 am

Passed! Results were emailed at 8:38am.

al_decisis731

New

Post by al_decisis731 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:30 am

I’m getting a bit worried. Haven’t gotten the email yet.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 am

al_decisis731 wrote:I’m getting a bit worried. Haven’t gotten the email yet.
Maybe some emails weren't sent out? Did you check your account? There probably aren't as many people signing in right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aaaaaaa

New

Post by aaaaaaa » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:40 am

PASSED! I received the email at 9:26, so I'm guessing they just post different batches to avoid the server from breaking down.

al_decisis731

New

Post by al_decisis731 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:44 am

Got email at 9:40. Passed!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:04 am

al_decisis731 wrote:Got email at 9:40. Passed!
Congrats!

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am

Congrats y'all. More new baby lawyers for Illinois!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawbug123

New

Post by lawbug123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Passed tooo!!!!! FREEDOM AT LAST!

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm

lawbug123 wrote:Passed tooo!!!!! FREEDOM AT LAST!
Sucks for them CA kids

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:14 pm

Passed.

Relcatehopefull22

New

Post by Relcatehopefull22 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Failed by 13 points :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Houstonttt

New

Post by Houstonttt » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Relcatehopefull22 wrote:Failed by 13 points :(
Its ok ! Good luck next time. Probably I faild too
Donyou mind sharing your MBE practic score

wzevon9

New

Post by wzevon9 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Relcatehopefull22 wrote:Failed by 13 points :(
Sorry. You’ll do better! How did you get your actual score numbers?

tinabelcher

New

Post by tinabelcher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello all,

I just found out that I failed the IL bar exam this July. I would love some guidance on moving forward for February from those who have passed.
My score report is as follows:
MBE Scale: 127.6
MEE + IEE: 129.7
Total Scale Score: 258 (266 needed to pass)

I took the MO bar in 2015 after graduating law school. I used Kaplan and was 15 points away. I can honestly say that I did not know a fraction of the law in 2015 that I know sitting here today. The Kaplan method did not work for me, and I knew 1 month out that I would not pass the exam.
Since then, I have had my son and studied over a long period of time, using Critical Pass flash cards, Adaptibar (I did about 1,700 questions with about 60% average), and Kaplan books with IL specific outlines from friends.

This time, I need to bulletproof my MBE score. My essays were almost all 4s, I had a 6.7 on my MPT and two random "1" and "2" essays.

I am looking at Themis, as I have heard very good things and they have a published pass rate. I am also looking at JD Advising's MBE-specific program.
I need something to get me over the hump and teach me not only the black letter law, but also strategy, as I believe that is a large part of success on the MBE.

I truly thought I passed and had two very good job opportunities riding on my results. If I can turn this around and pass in February, it will change mine and my son's lives. Thank you in advance for any help out there!

jcwest

New

Post by jcwest » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:37 pm

tinabelcher wrote:Hello all,

I just found out that I failed the IL bar exam this July. I would love some guidance on moving forward for February from those who have passed.
My score report is as follows:
MBE Scale: 127.6
MEE + IEE: 129.7
Total Scale Score: 258 (266 needed to pass)

I took the MO bar in 2015 after graduating law school. I used Kaplan and was 15 points away. I can honestly say that I did not know a fraction of the law in 2015 that I know sitting here today. The Kaplan method did not work for me, and I knew 1 month out that I would not pass the exam.
Since then, I have had my son and studied over a long period of time, using Critical Pass flash cards, Adaptibar (I did about 1,700 questions with about 60% average), and Kaplan books with IL specific outlines from friends.

This time, I need to bulletproof my MBE score. My essays were almost all 4s, I had a 6.7 on my MPT and two random "1" and "2" essays.

I am looking at Themis, as I have heard very good things and they have a published pass rate. I am also looking at JD Advising's MBE-specific program.
I need something to get me over the hump and teach me not only the black letter law, but also strategy, as I believe that is a large part of success on the MBE.

I truly thought I passed and had two very good job opportunities riding on my results. If I can turn this around and pass in February, it will change mine and my son's lives. Thank you in advance for any help out there!
I have no idea how many points I passed by but I felt quite confident during the test. (Much less confident during the 2 month wait.) I used Themis and followed their directed study guide. After each one of those long and annoying videos per doctrine, I either wrote it by hand (hard subject such as civ pro/con law) or typed it (evidence, contracts, family law, etc). I did not look over admin law or federal income tax after watching the video. I honestly skipped over all the "review these subjects" because I went through each outline immediately thereafter. I also never used their condensed outline because I just wasn't useful for me. I did make smaller bulleted outlines (subject w/ headlines per mini doctrine) with the stuff I got wrong and once I knew it, I took it off.

What REALLY helped me was going over my incorrect answers immediately after getting them wrong then reviewing my incorrect answers by subject repeatedly to see where I was struggling. Themis gives you that option at least. I honestly did this like once every 2 weeks. ( all subjects I had issues with at least)

Regarding essays: I was getting 4/5s on the graded essays and one 3. I did not worry too much about the essays until my last two weeks of prep. I honestly rarely did the practice essays that weren't graded because I believed I knew how to write due to my experience. (I probably did less than 8 non graded essays total.) For me, bar prep was as much about burning out as it was about learning. However, reviewing the sample answers were probably the single most important part of my prep. During the last two weeks, I printed out every single sample answer and stacked them by subject. I repeatedly went over them. (at least a dozen times.) When I took the essay portions of the bar exam, it was a cake walk and I believe the aforementioned strategy was why. Reviewing the sample answers truly helps you understand the law. Especially for subjects like wills/trusts/secured transactions that most of us have not really dealt with.

Study time... I studied somewhere between 6-9 hours for the first 2 1/2 months. Generally closer to 6. My attention span was really struggling after the first month. BUT the last two weeks, I probably studied between 10 and 12 hours a day. I've crammed through undergrad and law school... and I wasn't going to change now. The thing is... I probably didn't need to cram for the bar but it was more of an anxiety things. Doing all I can while I can.

Last thing... I kind of mentioned it earlier but the process really is 40% not burning out/60% studying. You go over so much material. Try to stay sane. Take some days off knowing you'll have to put in a few more hours over the next couple days...

Beyond that, idk. Sorry for rambling. Hope this helps. (I took all these strategies from these forums btw. Check them out and see what helps others because what worked for me may not work for you.) Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Houstonttt

New

Post by Houstonttt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Congrats to all of those who passed!!
And good luck to the one who have to do it again..
Would you please share your practice MBE score v. Real score?

inyourhonor07

New

Post by inyourhonor07 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Any February IL takers?

What bar review program and supplements are you using?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:43 pm

so I am taking half the Illinois Bar, I am Florida barred and I passed that last year. I have to take the Illinois portion in February. How should I go about killing this?

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Anyone else on here studying for the Illinois Bar starting on February 26th? Definitely losing my mind here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RioGrandeLaw

New

Post by RioGrandeLaw » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:31 pm

No spell check on the Illinois UBE? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”