ALL THINGS ILLINOIS BAR EXAM Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HiOCEAN

New

Re: ALL THINGS ILLINOIS BAR EXAM

Post by HiOCEAN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 pm

virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:I PASSED THE FREAKIN BAR! This was my 4th and final try, guys. I even said yesterday if I don't pass, I'm done with IL for good.

To those who failed: PLEASE do not give up. Trust me, after receiving 3 "We regret to inform you" letters, finally getting the "Congratulations!" letter was an experience I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I'm happy to help those who failed in any way I can. Here to chat, offer study materials, offer encouragement. If I did it, you definitely can.
I may take you up on that. Congratulations.
Thank you! And please do. I didn't think I could gather the strength to take this damn thing 4 times but it is so very worth it in the end.

Adaptibar saved my life, FWIW.
I did Barbri twice and I think I might be better off creating my own schedule and format or switching to something else. I'll look into adaptibar. If you don't mind me asking what program did you use the other times?
I think it's time to let go of Barbri. I did Barbri the first time, the second time I did Ameribar. Ameribar uses real practice questions and it's much cheaper. I got my program for just under a thousand. But I mostly did practice questions from the emanuel strategies and tactics book. I also used StudySmart MBE to memorize rule statements for the MEE. Didn't practice MPT at all just read about how to format them and just some sample ones.

I'll make it a point to log in here from time to time if anyone has questions going forward. I really hope I can help.

HiOCEAN

New

Post by HiOCEAN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Does your results letter say "Congratulations" or "We are pleased to advise that you have passed the February 2017 Illinois bar examination."

I know the old letters used to say Congratulations so just wondering. I guess I really don't believe it's true ... Am I reading it right?!

dglarson

New

Post by dglarson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:37 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:For those that passed, can you please disclose your study methods and your midterm scores? PLEASSEEE
Sure. I used the Kaplan review. My midterm score was 117 and my final review score was 114. I was really scared of my final practice score so I listened to the whole 8 hour review of each question to shore up my weaknesses. I really think that helped, but I don't know because IL doesn't release the passing MBE scores to the individual.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:54 pm

dglarson wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:For those that passed, can you please disclose your study methods and your midterm scores? PLEASSEEE
Sure. I used the Kaplan review. My midterm score was 117 and my final review score was 114. I was really scared of my final practice score so I listened to the whole 8 hour review of each question to shore up my weaknesses. I really think that helped, but I don't know because IL doesn't release the passing MBE scores to the individual.

Wow I havn't seen a single retaker saying I only used Barbri and passed

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:05 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

Honestly, I regret taking Barbri to begin with. They are pretty tight-lipped about their pass rates, and I feel they were pretty coercive in getting people to sign up. My school regularly had Barbri tables outside 1L classes where they'd pitch you all kinds of stuff to get you to lock in your rate. Everyone else was doing it so I followed suit.

Barbri's MBE practice is completely inadequate and not at all representative of the actual exam questions. I also think the video lectures are a gigantic waste of time and way too long (goes for all video lectures, not just Barbri).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:12 pm

lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

Honestly, I regret taking Barbri to begin with. They are pretty tight-lipped about their pass rates, and I feel they were pretty coercive in getting people to sign up. My school regularly had Barbri tables outside 1L classes where they'd pitch you all kinds of stuff to get you to lock in your rate. Everyone else was doing it so I followed suit.

Barbri's MBE practice is completely inadequate and not at all representative of the actual exam questions. I also think the video lectures are a gigantic waste of time and way too long (goes for all video lectures, not just Barbri).
I'm a retaker also. I totally agree with you. word by word. I still used barbri questions for the second study (to test myself whether I understood the questions I previously didn't), Barbri is no good. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A RETAKER. (in my opinion)

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:41 pm

HiOCEAN wrote:Does your results letter say "Congratulations" or "We are pleased to advise that you have passed the February 2017 Illinois bar examination."

I know the old letters used to say Congratulations so just wondering. I guess I really don't believe it's true ... Am I reading it right?!
Wait...my letter says "Congratulations on passing the February 2017 Illinois bar examination." What does yours say?

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:46 pm

lawst_ wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:I PASSED THE FREAKIN BAR! This was my 4th and final try, guys. I even said yesterday if I don't pass, I'm done with IL for good.

To those who failed: PLEASE do not give up. Trust me, after receiving 3 "We regret to inform you" letters, finally getting the "Congratulations!" letter was an experience I'll remember for the rest of my life.

I'm happy to help those who failed in any way I can. Here to chat, offer study materials, offer encouragement. If I did it, you definitely can.
Thank you! And please do. I didn't think I could gather the strength to take this damn thing 4 times but it is so very worth it in the end.

Did you make your own schedule? Did you take any time off this time and how much?

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 pm

HiOCEAN wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
virgoyum wrote:

I did Barbri twice and I think I might be better off creating my own schedule and format or switching to something else. I'll look into adaptibar. If you don't mind me asking what program did you use the other times?
I think it's time to let go of Barbri. I did Barbri the first time, the second time I did Ameribar. Ameribar uses real practice questions and it's much cheaper. I got my program for just under a thousand. But I mostly did practice questions from the emanuel strategies and tactics book. I also used StudySmart MBE to memorize rule statements for the MEE. Didn't practice MPT at all just read about how to format them and just some sample ones.

I'll make it a point to log in here from time to time if anyone has questions going forward. I really hope I can help.

That would be great if you could. If not I will just message with questions. I'm not paying for Barbri again. I'm looking into adaptibar. I also see that I can the emanuel book you suggested on Amazon.

Did you take any time off from work? Also if you have any scheduling tips that would be helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:56 pm

thewait17 wrote:
virgoyum wrote:Was going to leave for work and got the email. I decided to open it and I failed.

Turned right back around and emailed that I'm working from home. Got back in the bed and just laid there.

Now telling you all.
Do not give up! You CAN do this, and you will. Feel what you need to feel for a few days. After that, get right back at it and conquer that exam once and for all.
Yeah I think I've resigned myself to giving it another shot in July. I don't want to drag it out till next February because I just want my life back.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:05 pm

lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

100%. I watched every video the first time like a dummy. I felt it took time away from everything. I didn't know any better because again 5 years out of school, so I drove to class like a good little naive student after work. Colossal waste of time that reflected in my scores although they could have been worse. Second time around I just was diligent about reading the outlines and learning and practicing but there is something to be said for stamina and I think mines was shot by the time the exam rolled around because Barbri literally vomits things at you so you're never sure if you learned it solid. I still struggled to get the essays finished due to time and I feel that's where my issues were.

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 pm

virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
virgoyum wrote:

Did you make your own schedule? Did you take any time off this time and how much?
I was in the midst of a job hunt while studying, so although I had more time, my schedule got messed up with interviews and whatnot. Thankfully I planned to be non-trad in law school so I had a plan in case the bar didn't work out.

I didn't have a hard schedule, but I made sure to do at least 25 MBE questions a day (because I was super weak in it) in the beginning and upped it significantly as it got closer to exam time. I also started with my weakest MBE subjects, Contracts and Property, first and would re-visit them weekly until I started to understand them.

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Does anyone have anymore info on swearing in for people who can't attend the ceremony?

I'll be out of the country for IL's swearing in, and the letter wasn't exactly clear -- do I pay for my licence now? Do I pay for my license later after the ceremony?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dglarson

New

Post by dglarson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:01 pm

virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

100%. I watched every video the first time like a dummy. I felt it took time away from everything. I didn't know any better because again 5 years out of school, so I drove to class like a good little naive student after work. Colossal waste of time that reflected in my scores although they could have been worse. Second time around I just was diligent about reading the outlines and learning and practicing but there is something to be said for stamina and I think mines was shot by the time the exam rolled around because Barbri literally vomits things at you so you're never sure if you learned it solid. I still struggled to get the essays finished due to time and I feel that's where my issues were.

Honestly, I really liked Kaplan, except that you can't make it through the whole thing if you start late. I pretty much just used the Kaplan app, listened to the lectures on my commute and at work. Whether I made it through them or not, I always took the multiple choice tests and checked my wrong answers for explanations. I didn't do a lot of essays until near the end and I could have used some more MPT practice, but I guess I did enough to pass.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm

lawst_ wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
virgoyum wrote:

I was in the midst of a job hunt while studying, so although I had more time, my schedule got messed up with interviews and whatnot. Thankfully I planned to be non-trad in law school so I had a plan in case the bar didn't work out.

I didn't have a hard schedule, but I made sure to do at least 25 MBE questions a day (because I was super weak in it) in the beginning and upped it significantly as it got closer to exam time. I also started with my weakest MBE subjects, Contracts and Property, first and would re-visit them weekly until I started to understand them.

Re: nontraditional. Same. I built a career in corporate compliance. Since law school, counsel roles in my specific line of work has grown especially in in-house so it made sense to finally take it. Hopefully I can take at least two weeks off from work and third time will ultimately be a charm. I just need to process and get back on the horse early.

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 pm

dglarson wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

Honestly, I really liked Kaplan, except that you can't make it through the whole thing if you start late. I pretty much just used the Kaplan app, listened to the lectures on my commute and at work. Whether I made it through them or not, I always took the multiple choice tests and checked my wrong answers for explanations. I didn't do a lot of essays until near the end and I could have used some more MPT practice, but I guess I did enough to pass.
Maybe Kaplan's videos are better. I found Barbri's spotty and long winded. Actually found some podcasts and videos that were better so I would listen to those on my way in to work.

Congratulations on passing! What are you doing to celebrate?

dglarson

New

Post by dglarson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:48 pm

virgoyum wrote:
dglarson wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

Maybe Kaplan's videos are better. I found Barbri's spotty and long winded. Actually found some podcasts and videos that were better so I would listen to those on my way in to work.

Thanks :). I don't really have a celebratory plan. I've got the full-time job, wife, and kids so it takes a lot more work to do any good celebrating. In an ideal world, dinner and drinks would be a perfect celebration. As it stands, it will probably be a six pack of Gumballhead and Fantastic Beasts from Redbox.

I did get tickets to Hamilton for April 18, but that was going to happen win or lose.

Are you going to let off some steam anytime soon?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jagpaw

New

Post by jagpaw » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:49 pm

any advice to someone who's already purchased BarBri, Critical Pass Flashcards, with plans to purchase AdaptiBar? I'll be working ~20 hour per week as well. Consensus seems to be to skip the Barbri lectures while using their CMR outline. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm

dglarson wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
dglarson wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

Thanks :). I don't really have a celebratory plan. I've got the full-time job, wife, and kids so it takes a lot more work to do any good celebrating. In an ideal world, dinner and drinks would be a perfect celebration. As it stands, it will probably be a six pack of Gumballhead and Fantastic Beasts from Redbox.

I did get tickets to Hamilton for April 18, but that was going to happen win or lose.

Are you going to let off some steam anytime soon?
I can understand that. You should do something inside then together. Pick a movie on netflix you will enjoy. Juice for the kids and champagne for the big kids :lol: ... Your wife should rub your feet. If she's a feminist like me tell her I said she won't die from a little feet rub and you can feed her grapes lol!

Per steam: Honestly, I feel much better than I thought I would. Chatting with all of you has been super uplifting but I'm really glad I opted to stay home from work too. I think I will clean, organize my books and office nook, consider my options, and then write out my plans. The bf is coming over in the evening so he'll cheer me up. I have some big presentations at work next week that I let fall by the wayside due to my waiting anxiety. The rest of the weekend will be spent catching up on weeks of work which will likely take my thoughts off of the exam. I will give myself the next couple of days to decide if I really want to do this all over again but I know now more than ever I am the master of my fate, not Barbri, and not this darned exam.
Last edited by virgoyum on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:28 pm

jagpaw wrote:any advice to someone who's already purchased BarBri, Critical Pass Flashcards, with plans to purchase AdaptiBar? I'll be working ~20 hour per week as well. Consensus seems to be to skip the Barbri lectures while using their CMR outline. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Definitely skip the lectures. They're a waste of time, even when you speed up the lectures. Use the Barbri Mini Review outline (not the big outlines). Critical Pass basically has all the Barbri Mini Review outline info on them, so I recommend taking the flash cards anywhere you go. Have them in your car to study in traffic, take them to work to study at lunch, etc. Skip Barbri MBE questions too, or do them as a last resort. Adaptibar is REAL questions from the bar. Barbri isn't even close.

Do every Adaptibar question you can! And read their explanations. Adaptibar is the ONE thing I did differently and I passed on my 4th try.

My other advice is not to get too overwhelmed with the materials. You already have a lot, so decide early on what you want to utilize.

PrayingToTheBarGods

New

Post by PrayingToTheBarGods » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Ya'll I'm surprisingly calm... I'm checking my results when I get home from work. So far I've had a couple of "check you messages" sent to me from ibab. My guess is that I didn't pass...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nuri

New

Post by nuri » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:16 pm

I have all Themis books unused if anyone wants to purchase them and critical flash cards but they don't have civ pro but hey I passed! I didn't use the books because I printed everything from online and created my own schedule
dglarson wrote:
virgoyum wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
dglarson wrote:

lawst_

New

Post by lawst_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:20 pm

PrayingToTheBarGods wrote:Ya'll I'm surprisingly calm... I'm checking my results when I get home from work. So far I've had a couple of "check you messages" sent to me from ibab. My guess is that I didn't pass...
Don't be so sure. I passed and I received my notification that I passed at 8:30am, and a second email regarding updating my name/address/email for the swearing in ceremony at 12:54pm.

PrayingToTheBarGods

New

Post by PrayingToTheBarGods » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:35 pm

lawst_ wrote:
PrayingToTheBarGods wrote:Ya'll I'm surprisingly calm... I'm checking my results when I get home from work. So far I've had a couple of "check you messages" sent to me from ibab. My guess is that I didn't pass...
Don't be so sure. I passed and I received my notification that I passed at 8:30am, and a second email regarding updating my name/address/email for the swearing in ceremony at 12:54pm.
If that's the case then I could kiss u!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

mjr0773

New

Post by mjr0773 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:59 pm

PrayingToTheBarGods wrote:
lawst_ wrote:
If that's the case then I could kiss u!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

That's exactly what happened to me. I got scared when. I saw the second email that maybe the first was wrong but was relieved to see they just wanted to confirm name

I am quite sure you passed as well !

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”