Landlord Delivery of Possession Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CalBar3Day

New

Landlord Delivery of Possession

Post by CalBar3Day » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I just looked at a couple of sources and I'm getting conflicting information as to which one is the English rule, which one is the American rule, and which one we're supposed to use for the test.

1) Actual delivery
2) Delivery of just a legal right to possess

Thanks and sorry for the last minute question!

jir92

Bronze

Re: Landlord Delivery of Possession

Post by jir92 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm

CalBar3Day wrote:I just looked at a couple of sources and I'm getting conflicting information as to which one is the English rule, which one is the American rule, and which one we're supposed to use for the test.

1) Actual delivery

English Rule = landlord must actually deliver the premises (actual delivery + new tenant right to possess) [Bar Exam Rule/majority]
American Rule = landlord must deliver legal right to possess but no duty to delivery actual possession [minority]

Think of it like an old American western where the rough and tumble cowboy has to take over his homestead from another cowboy living in his newly rented farm ranch who refuses to leave (getting desperate, but that's where I am now, lol!)

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 pm

jir92 wrote:
CalBar3Day wrote:I just looked at a couple of sources and I'm getting conflicting information as to which one is the English rule, which one is the American rule, and which one we're supposed to use for the test.

1) Actual delivery

English Rule = landlord must actually deliver the premises (actual delivery + new tenant right to possess) [Bar Exam Rule/majority]
American Rule = landlord must deliver legal right to possess but no duty to delivery actual possession [minority]

Think of it like an old American western where the rough and tumble cowboy has to take over his homestead from another cowboy living in his newly rented farm ranch who refuses to leave (getting desperate, but that's where I am now, lol!)
Doesnt america use the English rule mostly though?

CalBar3Day

New

Post by CalBar3Day » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 pm

umichman wrote:
jir92 wrote:

1) Actual delivery

Doesnt america use the English rule mostly though?
I think that's what jir92 is saying. That the English rule is the majority rule to be used on the exam.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:25 pm

yes they did. brains is running on fumes right now

CalBar3Day

New

Post by CalBar3Day » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:27 pm

umichman wrote:yes they did. brains is running on fumes right now
I am right there with you. Thanks to both of you for responding and good luck this week! Almost there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”