How confident do you feel? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
lolabear727

Bronze

Re: How confident do you feel?

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:37 am

happyhour1122 wrote:
eatthebarforlunch wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Did anyone not finish all of the MPT or MEEs this go round? Or do you know anyone who didn't?

My friend who took July 2016 said that she knew someone that did not finish 2 of the MEEs and still passed. Just curious.. :wink:
on MPT 1 I ran out of time. I felt the meat of the points were in issue 1 and 3. I spent the majority of the time on Q1 gave good facts on Q2 and outlined Q3 and said their best option was to wait until the case was over to hire her.

I don't know what I said in MPT 1 and didn't even follow instructions for MPT 2 (I added discussion section because only adding "facts" and "law" didn't seem right..... if I pass, MPT is not big a deal.

I
It was an awkward format for myself as well. I basically just mirrored what the example gave in the question. One sentence maybe two, of the facts. Had about 25... Too much?? :? :lol:

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Post by Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 pm

Question #1: Contracts Option K/Firm Offer

I put the correct rules down, and made a brief discussion between whether the individual was a merchant or not, I ultimately came to the conclusion that the individual was a merchant mostly because they held themselves out as a merchant twice. Either way not confident on it but I hope I am above average.

Question #2: Wills & Trusts/modification and shares

I made up so many rules, I hope the bar examiners have mercy on me.

Question #3: Family Law/Conflicts of Law

I put down that the there was probably a common law marriage. However, I did say that it would not be recognized in the jurisdiction where the woman moved, so I did not talk about whether there was bigamy. (I am probably wrong, it just did not click with me to talk about it). I said something about the best interest of the child, not sure if I mentioned the language of the parental constitutional rights.

Question #4: Corporations

I said she had a right to inspect, I made up the rules there. I stated the rules to the duty of care and I stated something about the shareholders having to respect her SDS because she had standing the entire time, I did not mention futility or the time limit for SDS. I mentioned a direct suit too to hedge my bets – probably a waste of time.

Question #5: Agency

I mentioned all of the disclosures, however, I did not mention ratification. My rules were solid because I had reviewed a disclosure essay about two days before the test. I am pretty sure I got the wrong conclusion at least one of the answers.

Question #6: Property

I talked about the duty to mitigate damages. I did the ping-pong style law school exam answer for this question. (i.e., person 1 could argue X, on the other hand, person 2 can argue Y). I also introduced some equity related answer to because of the amount of damages one of the individuals wanted.

Again, I hope the bar examiners have mercy on my soul. I did pretty well on the MBEs during bar prep, score above average on the Barbri Simulated and Refresher. I also, supplemented my Barbri studies with Kaplan questions.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Last edited by cnk1220 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Last edited by cnk1220 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:12 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
Chevron Deference wrote:Question #1: Contracts Option K/Firm Offer

I put the correct rules down, and made a brief discussion between whether the individual was a merchant or not, I ultimately came to the conclusion that the individual was a merchant mostly because they held themselves out as a merchant twice. Either way not confident on it but I hope I am above average.

I put down that the there was probably a common law marriage. However, I did say that it would not be recognized in the jurisdiction where the woman moved, so I did not talk about whether there was bigamy. (I am probably wrong, it just did not click with me to talk about it). I said something about the best interest of the child, not sure if I mentioned the language of the parental constitutional rights.

I said she had a right to inspect, I made up the rules there. I stated the rules to the duty of care and I stated something about the shareholders having to respect her SDS because she had standing the entire time, I did not mention futility or the time limit for SDS. I mentioned a direct suit too to hedge my bets – probably a waste of time.

I mentioned all of the disclosures, however, I did not mention ratification. My rules were solid because I had reviewed a disclosure essay about two days before the test. I am pretty sure I got the wrong conclusion at least one of the answers.

I talked about the duty to mitigate damages. I did the ping-pong style law school exam answer for this question. (i.e., person 1 could argue X, on the other hand, person 2 can argue Y). I also introduced some equity related answer to because of the amount of damages one of the individuals wanted.

Again, I hope the bar examiners have mercy on my soul. I did pretty well on the MBEs during bar prep, score above average on the Barbri Simulated and Refresher. I also, supplemented my Barbri studies with Kaplan questions.

Re: Agency- what do you mean all of the disclosures? Are you referring to the partially disclosed/undisclosed principal? I only mentioned ratification for the last contract and talked about P getting indemnified from the agent, and maybe merchant using quasi-contract recovery under unjustment enrichment (the one where P kept the stuff), the rest I analyzed using actual express and/or apparent authority.

I used all the actual, apparent authority, all, part, non disclosure and ratifiaction. But no rules for ratifiaction. Just conclusion (fml)
did you guys have enough time for all MEEs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:57 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Re: Agency- what do you mean all of the disclosures? Are you referring to the partially disclosed/undisclosed principal? I only mentioned ratification for the last contract and talked about P getting indemnified from the agent, and maybe merchant using quasi-contract recovery under unjust enrichment (the one where P kept the stuff), the rest I analyzed using actual express and/or apparent authority.

I used all the actual, apparent authority, all, part, non disclosure and ratification. But no rules for ratification. Just conclusion (fml)
I finished all of them. 2 essays I could have spent more time on, but I felt it wouldn't be worth sacrificing an entire essay just to add some extra stuff to one so I moved on. I spent about 15 minutes on the Agency essay. I obviously didn't stick to my 30 mins and done rule that I set for myself for obvious reasons, but I also left that for last because I felt that essay to be pretty straight forward. Actual/Apparent/Ratification, etc.. I got out the rules I needed, analyzed and concluded. Bummed that I spent the least amount of time on an essay that I probably knew the most about. But like I said, I think I hit the pertinent parts (point scoring issues) of the essay.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:04 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Re: Agency- what do you mean all of the disclosures? Are you referring to the partially disclosed/undisclosed principal? I only mentioned ratification for the last contract and talked about P getting indemnified from the agent, and maybe merchant using quasi-contract recovery under unjust enrichment (the one where P kept the stuff), the rest I analyzed using actual express and/or apparent authority.

I used all the actual, apparent authority, all, part, non disclosure and ratification. But no rules for ratification. Just conclusion (fml)
I finished all of them. 2 essays I could have spent more time on, but I felt it wouldn't be worth sacrificing an entire essay just to add some extra stuff to one so I moved on. I spent about 15 minutes on the Agency essay. I obviously didn't stick to my 30 mins and done rule that I set for myself for obvious reasons, but I also left that for last because I felt that essay to be pretty straight forward. Actual/Apparent/Ratification, etc.. I got out the rules I needed, analyzed and concluded. Bummed that I spent the least amount of time on an essay that I probably knew the most about. But like I said, I think I hit the pertinent parts (point scoring issues) of the essay.

same here. Thankfully I knew I needed more time on Trust. When it was time for Trust, I had 45 minutes left...Used the whole time on Turst...just BS-ing like as if I've never heard of trust. I don't even know if it made any sense. I should've went back to my other essays to add more points....fml.... i think i'm going to fail OMG!

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Last edited by cnk1220 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 pm

cnk1220 wrote:Did anyone else discuss how ratification doesn't necessirly alter the terms of the contract? Like even if the principal ratifies by keeping the stuff it can't alter the actual express authority given to the agent in the four corners of the agreement?

I remember reading this somewhere so i threw it on there and then included some other discussion re: quasi K recovery + unjustment enrichment or holding the agent directly responsible (at election of third party) and somehow P getting indemnified from A if merchant succeeds?

I think i just made up some rules too lol...
never heard of it...but +1 point for you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chevron Deference

Bronze

Post by Chevron Deference » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

Re: Agency- what do you mean all of the disclosures? Are you referring to the partially disclosed/undisclosed principal? I only mentioned ratification for the last contract and talked about P getting indemnified from the agent, and maybe merchant using quasi-contract recovery under unjustment enrichment (the one where P kept the stuff), the rest I analyzed using actual express and/or apparent authority.
Yes, I am referring to partially disclosed/disclosed/undisclosed principals.

I know the MEE is scaled to fit the MBE. However I am confused about the percentile. For example, If the MEE is scaled on a 1-6 score and I receive a couple of 4s instead of 3s on two essays, or lets say if I get a couple of 2s instead of 3s on two essays what kind of percentage increase or decrease would I be looking at in the scaled score?

Acdc54

New

Post by Acdc54 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Any PA takers? Essays weren't too bad.

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am

Wow, I basically did the same exact thing as you. Praying to the gods that my made up rules in Questions 2 and 4 will score me at least a couple of points.

NyuIwantu

New

Post by NyuIwantu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Chevron Deference wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Yes, I am referring to partially disclosed/disclosed/undisclosed principals.

I know the MEE is scaled to fit the MBE. However I am confused about the percentile. For example, If the MEE is scaled on a 1-6 score and I receive a couple of 4s instead of 3s on two essays, or lets say if I get a couple of 2s instead of 3s on two essays what kind of percentage increase or decrease would I be looking at in the scaled score?
It's easier to look at it as a scale of 1-5. Each essay would then be worth 20 points out of the full bar's 400. Each time you move a grade up or down on the scale you're talking a 4pt increase/decrease. Of course this is a very simplistic way of looking at it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bar_is_killing_me

New

Post by bar_is_killing_me » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:36 pm

I had a dream last night that I passed with a 142 MBE scaled score. It was such an amazing feeling. I thought it was reality. I can't remember feeling that level of joy. Anyways, when I woke up, I was devastated. It was so sad, really really sad.

JDNE

New

Post by JDNE » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 pm

justaguest wrote:I felt totally confident - that I was going to fail. That feeling started somewhere around the LSATs and continued until I got my exam results.

To me, the bar exam felt completely insurmountable. We spend three years in law school with this massive pass/fail exam hanging over our heads. I never, in a million years, thought I would pass it the first time. I used Barbri. I definitely didn't study as hard as some of my friends. I did maybe 5-6 hours per day while they seemed to always be studying. Add to that, when we would have group study sessions, I never seemed to know as much as they did (you'd think this would make me study more). I also realized pretty early on that part of what I was feeling was concern about embarrassment when I failed. I was friends with some really smart people that I knew were going to pass and I didn't want to be the only one who failed. I didn't want those looks of pity when we got together for beers. Finally, the previous year's pass rate was gnawing at me - it was around 60% for my school. There were people who I thought would pass their first time out that did not. That was a real blow.

The weekend prior to the exam my personality was a mix of nervous, angry, stressed, and excited that it was nearly over. No one who wasn't taking the bar wanted to be around me (nor did I want to be around them).

But, amazingly, I passed not one but two bar exams on my first try. Don't let your lack of confidence get in your way. You can do this.
That's awesome, and congratulations! I appreciate your posts and advice! I also appreciate your perspective on the whole thing. Here we are, years after taking that horrible LSAT and then slaving away for three years at our respective law schools, all studying at "Barbri University" together to sit for the one test that matters most. It's a whirlwind. Physically, I am still recovering from the mad dash to the Bar. It was exhausting to prep, stressful to take it, and then typing out those ten essay answers wiped me out. Yup, I'm still recovering. I spent most of this week watching lots of junky TV on XFINITY ON DEMAND and catching up on chores. Still doing those. But now I am dying to get the results, just like my friends said I would. They also told me to stop worrying. If they knew I was even reading things on this forum (after just signing up today) they would batter me, hahaha. It's hard on all of us. But somehow people make it. Thanks again.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:57 pm

bar_is_killing_me wrote:I had a dream last night that I passed with a 142 MBE scaled score. It was such an amazing feeling. I thought it was reality. I can't remember feeling that level of joy. Anyways, when I woke up, I was devastated. It was so sad, really really sad.

I had a dream that I failed with 172 mbe.
I couldn't understand. I was confused. I wanted to kill myself and I woke up...

virgoyum

Bronze

Post by virgoyum » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:44 pm

lolabear727 wrote:
eatthebarforlunch wrote:
lolabear727 wrote:Did anyone not finish all of the MPT or MEEs this go round? Or do you know anyone who didn't?

My friend who took July 2016 said that she knew someone that did not finish 2 of the MEEs and still passed. Just curious.. :wink:
on MPT 1 I ran out of time. I felt the meat of the points were in issue 1 and 3. I spent the majority of the time on Q1 gave good facts on Q2 and outlined Q3 and said their best option was to wait until the case was over to hire her.

That's almost exactly what I did. I came to the same conclusion.
Same. My strategy was to look at what # rules applied to each and focused on the most to least: potential hire, company client, partner. I spent least on the partner because there was no time at the point. Hopefully I didn't lose too much ground.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seeyouatthenextexam

New

Post by seeyouatthenextexam » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Anyone else go with "putative spouse" in regards to the second guy on the fam law MEE?

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:29 am

seeyouatthenextexam wrote:Anyone else go with "putative spouse" in regards to the second guy on the fam law MEE?
Wow.. what bar material did you use? Just learned what that was through Google lol

By the way, everyone here made great arguments I feel like I failed.....

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:35 am

happyhour1122 wrote:
seeyouatthenextexam wrote:Anyone else go with "putative spouse" in regards to the second guy on the fam law MEE?
Wow.. what bar material did you use? Just learned what that was through Google lol

+1

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 am

Question on MPT 1.

Anyone remember if we had to discuss "screening off" the main two people? I did this analysis with the associate but don't think I ever discussed this for the other first two parts.... Regardless of the exam results, just wondering....if it was necessary....(for future reference...)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seeyouatthenextexam

New

Post by seeyouatthenextexam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:59 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:

Lol Barbri.. Which I feel was a horrible mistake, btw... I don't know why that one phrase from family law stuck in my brain.

I doubt I'll have need for it when I'm taking the July exam! :|

eatthebarforlunch

New

Post by eatthebarforlunch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 am

Has anyone in this thread gotten their bar results yet?

lolabear727

Bronze

Post by lolabear727 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:25 pm

eatthebarforlunch wrote:Has anyone in this thread gotten their bar results yet?
Nope.. waiting on NY.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:26 pm

Anyone know when we find out which department we are in for NY?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”