How confident do you feel? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
umichman

Bronze

Re: How confident do you feel?

Post by umichman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 pm

Once that little green check mark became the thing the best part of my day I knew I was over studying for the bar. That was a month go. Not confident at all but so excited to be done.

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:46 pm

The MPQ6's this week have resulted in a whirlwind of emotions. 50% has been the norm for the most part. Evidence slapped me around a bit today though...apparently I don't know hearsay.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 am

cnk1220 wrote: Ugh am I the only one who thinks con law is fucking difficult?

I never know WTF is going on in con law. It's like every problem someone is bringing some race claim who may/may not have standing with some underlying religion bullshit + free speech masked with a commerce clause exception + a presidential veto and then Congress passed a tax on top. Everything is mixed up to me. :shock: :?
Con law, in my opinion, is the most controversial part of the bar exam curriculum for a few key reasons.

1. It's not relevant to a heavy portion of lawyers' practices. It's relevance, which is important, is knowing the fundamental law of the land in which you are a attorney.

2. The way it is taught in most law schools is not geared to the bar exam at all. Many schools will make CL 3-6 credits of mandatory classes. Yet a lot of what you discuss is doctrinal history, and theories, and the way the courts have flowed, whereas the bar is all black letter law. Your month of covering the commerce clause in school is condensed into 3-6 lines of rules on this exam.

3. The standards are very vague. Things like discriminate on basis of race, or content-neutral is easy to grasp. But what's a significant government interest? A lot of the times, the examiners will make a MBE question based on a actual case to address this problem, but in that scenario you're expected to know every major USC holding covering specific factual scenarios.

That all being said, you CAN cover con law, but it will feel like an uphill slog, because despite what you think you know about the constitution, whether from law school or general knowledge, a big portion of it will not help you when trying to remember all the black letter laws and specific facts that can cover certain tests. IMO con law is best served solely as a MEE essay.

So yes, I think many people have been in same boat as you when doing this topic.

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:01 am

Jmazz88 wrote:The MPQ6's this week have resulted in a whirlwind of emotions. 50% has been the norm for the most part. Evidence slapped me around a bit today though...apparently I don't know hearsay.

All of the set 6 questions were annoying and frustrating lol I just want to be done

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 am

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
Jmazz88 wrote:The MPQ6's this week have resulted in a whirlwind of emotions. 50% has been the norm for the most part. Evidence slapped me around a bit today though...apparently I don't know hearsay.

All of the set 6 questions were annoying and frustrating lol I just want to be done

I just keep thinking "next sat night I will be back at a bar" somewhere I haven't been to in a long time :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:45 am

cnk1220 wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

I just keep thinking "next sat night I will be back at a bar" somewhere I haven't been to in a long time :lol:
Lol! Me and you both!!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 am

LOL...I was totally confident....that I failed miserably!

I ended up passing and so will you.

People who are super confident normally don't realize that they don't all the shit there is to know. If you really have a grasp of just all the stuff you have to know, there is really no way to be super confident IMO.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:01 am

rcharter1978 wrote:LOL...I was totally confident....that I failed miserably!

People who are super confident normally don't realize that they don't all the shit there is to know. If you really have a grasp of just all the stuff you have to know, there is really no way to be super confident IMO.
Agreed. From experience.

davidtothej05

New

Post by davidtothej05 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:21 am

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:

This. Excatly 7 days ago i was confident. Now: not so much. I am convinced that barbri writes these in a way to force us to look at the practice questions.

Regardless, by Friday this will all be a memory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jir92

Bronze

Post by jir92 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 am

Ok this makes me feel better. I have a friend who is super confident (from a different school) but also taking the UBE on Tues/Wed and she's only studying things that are difficult for her, i.e. future estates/RAP even though many of those things are only a small % of the test.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:29 pm

jir92 wrote:

Ok this makes me feel better. I have a friend who is super confident (from a different school) but also taking the UBE on Tues/Wed and she's only studying things that are difficult for her, i.e. future estates/RAP even though many of those things are only a small % of the test.
Future interests/RAP = I'm glancing the answers and going for C. Not even bothering with it. If I didn't get it 1L year and I haven't fully comprehended it by now I give up. I mean there's probably going to be what 2Qs max?

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Very little confidence. I'm waaaaaay underprepared, and my scores are all over the place. Thankfully my MBE scores are usually between 55 and 75%, but I've hardly written a whole essay. Mostly, I've been outlining. As of late, I've flat out skipped the essay practice so that I could get through more of the substantive material.

I started studying in early January, but had a cross-country move in mid-Jan, so I was out of commission for 1.5 weeks. I've been doing 5 or 6 hours/day actual studying for most of the time, with a surge to 8-10 for about a week and a half before returning to 6 or so this week. If I had to do it all over again, besides starting earlier I would focus much more on taking assessments and much less on listening to lecture videos. I've only completed 60% or so of Themis, and their assessments are backloaded in the program.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:32 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
jir92 wrote:

Future interests/RAP = I'm glancing the answers and going for C. Not even bothering with it. If I didn't get it 1L year and I haven't fully comprehended it by now I give up. I mean there's probably going to be what 2Qs max?

I have a feeling that it's going to be an essay question...

I'm going to kill myself

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:45 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
jir92 wrote:

I have a feeling that it's going to be an essay question...

I'm going to kill myself
LOL. I HATED CA evidence. I remember thinking to myself "if these motherfuckers put CA evidence on this exam, I'm going to fake a heart attack or set this place on fire."

Sure enough, there was a nice evidence question and I was under control...until I read "answer according to California law" and my heart sank. After I thought about how well I could take a heart attack (I had visions of an old Sanford and sons episode) I just did the best I could.

If you see something you don't know, so the best you can and keep it moving. It's probably better than you think it is.

cococherriy

New

Post by cococherriy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:21 pm

Confidence is such a luxury right now.....staying positive!!

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:Very little confidence. I'm waaaaaay underprepared, and my scores are all over the place. Thankfully my MBE scores are usually between 55 and 75%, but I've hardly written a whole essay. Mostly, I've been outlining. As of late, I've flat out skipped the essay practice so that I could get through more of the substantive material.
I think actually writing out the essays is overrated. Some of hte examples pretty much are just in outline form without the actual outline. It seems like htey just care about substance.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:49 pm

deleted.
Last edited by wlp0001 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 pm

wlp0001 wrote:Well, pretty sure I failed, I put the mpts in the wrong spot on examsoft. I put 1 in spot 2 and 2 in spot 1...
Hang in there. That's just one part of the exam. Forget about it and just keep going through the motions.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 pm

wlp0001 wrote:Well, pretty sure I failed, I put the mpts in the wrong spot on examsoft. I put 1 in spot 2 and 2 in spot 1...
The grader will know...I hope.

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 pm

happyhour1122 wrote:
I labeled both of the mpts on the document. I did the mpts in the order I was given, and just went right into them not thinking that each one had a specific spot. My fault... One person told me that they did the same thing last year and both essays were graded but I still feel like there is a chance they might just give me a zero.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 pm

I doubt theyll take points off for that! I'm sure people do that all the time

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:02 pm

wlp0001 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:
I labeled both of the mpts on the document. I did the mpts in the order I was given, and just went right into them not thinking that each one had a specific spot. My fault... One person told me that they did the same thing last year and both essays were graded but I still feel like there is a chance they might just give me a zero.

It's only 20%. Let's do good tomorrow

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

I doubt theyll take points off for that! I'm sure people do that all the time

I'm not the only one who did it either.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 pm

wlp0001 wrote:
happyhour1122 wrote:

If it makes you feel better I totally bombed the trusts essay! Had no clue what I was saying and even though my MPTs were in order still not sure what I wrote was english.

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Well, definitely not feeling too confident after that MEE...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”