How confident do you feel? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jir92

Bronze

How confident do you feel?

Post by jir92 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 pm

I've definitely studied hard and put in my due time and effort. But I still feel like I'm not "there yet," especially for the harder MBE questions and the MEE only topics.

I've heard this is normal, but I've gone from anxiety/boredom to nervousness now.

cnk1220

Silver

Re: How confident do you feel?

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Not confident. Would feel more confident if the pass rate was 90%. Then it's like ok-- if you're in the bottom 10% you probably could have studied harder. The pass rate is what makes me nervous.

jir92

Bronze

Post by jir92 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm

cnk1220 wrote:Not confident. Would feel more confident if the pass rate was 90%. Then it's like ok-- if you're in the bottom 10% you probably could have studied harder. The pass rate is what makes me nervous.
What state are you in? Are you a first time taker?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:47 pm

jir92 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:Not confident. Would feel more confident if the pass rate was 90%. Then it's like ok-- if you're in the bottom 10% you probably could have studied harder. The pass rate is what makes me nervous.
What state are you in? Are you a first time taker?

I'm in a UBE state- and yes.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 am

I'm super jealous of anyone that feels remotely confident walking into this exam. My problem is that I'm not consistent with my practice tests. Some practice essays I totally rock and others I can barely manage to write a relevant paragraph. Last night I did 50 practice MBE (on Adaptibar) and got 85% of the property questions correct. Property is my worst subject, I am TERRIBLE at it, but somehow I must have been tested on the few topics I actually have a grasp on. I know my score will hinge on whether I'm tested on my strengths. We're at the point now where I will be wasting my time if I spend the entire weekend cramming mortgages in hopes that I will be able to recite all the rules. I feel more confident than when I took my last bar (non-UBE, now I'm taking a UBE), and I didn't pass that one. I just need to keep boosting myself up and take my time and lots of deep breaths, that seems to be the one thing that truly helps me at this point.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:19 am

I didn't feel confident. Passed.

amtornberg

New

Post by amtornberg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:47 am

You're not supposed to feel confident. You will feel even less confident at the lunch break on Wednesday. Part of passing this test is not letting the nerves/anxiety/lack of confidence get into your head and relying on what you know. This will be my 4th bar exam (3rd administration - passed NJ/CT in July 2012, passed NY in February 2013, and now taking Florida due to relocation - ugh!) and it never got any better. I did a practice test last night, half asleep, and thought I was going to bomb it because I wasn't totally focused --- it was my highest score yet. You know more than you think you do. If you're concerned enough to make a forum post about it, you're leaps and bounds ahead of the guy sitting next to you that hardly studied.

We got this. :wink:

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm

amtornberg wrote:You're not supposed to feel confident. You will feel even less confident at the lunch break on Wednesday. Part of passing this test is not letting the nerves/anxiety/lack of confidence get into your head and relying on what you know. This will be my 4th bar exam (3rd administration - passed NJ/CT in July 2012, passed NY in February 2013, and now taking Florida due to relocation - ugh!) and it never got any better. I did a practice test last night, half asleep, and thought I was going to bomb it because I wasn't totally focused --- it was my highest score yet. You know more than you think you do. If you're concerned enough to make a forum post about it, you're leaps and bounds ahead of the guy sitting next to you that hardly studied.

I've been studying about 4-5 hours a day, every day, since Christmas Eve. Have not taken a full day off yet. However, I feel like I'm still not doing enough, and the Facebook posts from classmates taking this February exam bragging about studying 10 hours a day, everyday, is making me feel like I'm behind.

You gotta assume that some people barely study at all/do a lot less than what I've been doing, right? I constantly get the feeling that I've studied a lot less than most people...

DueProcessDoWheelies

Bronze

Post by DueProcessDoWheelies » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:19 pm

amtornberg wrote:You're not supposed to feel confident. You will feel even less confident at the lunch break on Wednesday. Part of passing this test is not letting the nerves/anxiety/lack of confidence get into your head and relying on what you know. This will be my 4th bar exam (3rd administration - passed NJ/CT in July 2012, passed NY in February 2013, and now taking Florida due to relocation - ugh!) and it never got any better. I did a practice test last night, half asleep, and thought I was going to bomb it because I wasn't totally focused --- it was my highest score yet. You know more than you think you do. If you're concerned enough to make a forum post about it, you're leaps and bounds ahead of the guy sitting next to you that hardly studied.

Couldn't agree more. Also a "repeat" taker. Passed Texas and now taking the UBE.

No one feels good about this exam before it and no one feels good walking out of it. It's because most students score what would be the equivalent of a D+ or C- on a normal test. Of course you'll feel awful after that! Which is why you always have to remind yourself: you aren't trying to get an A. You just need to pass.

Basically, the bar is a horrible hazing process. They make you study a ridiculous amount of information, throw hard questions at you, make you feel terrible and unprepared, and make you wait for results. And then most students pass. It's just that awful rite of passage we all have to endure.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Jmazz88 wrote:

I've been studying about 4-5 hours a day, every day, since Christmas Eve. Have not taken a full day off yet. However, I feel like I'm still not doing enough, and the Facebook posts from classmates taking this February exam bragging about studying 10 hours a day, everyday, is making me feel like I'm behind.

You gotta assume that some people barely study at all/do a lot less than what I've been doing, right? I constantly get the feeling that I've studied a lot less than most people...
The person who brags about studying 10 hours a day is not really studying 10 hours a day, they wouldn't even be on facebook if that were true lol.

I've only studied about 4-5 hours a day but I did start in November, so you're not alone.
*Also- I only started this early because I knew I had time constraints in the next few months and I consider myself a progressive learner, I cannot cram and learn. Do what works for you!

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Jmazz88 wrote: I've been studying about 4-5 hours a day, every day, since Christmas Eve. Have not taken a full day off yet. However, I feel like I'm still not doing enough, and the Facebook posts from classmates taking this February exam bragging about studying 10 hours a day, everyday, is making me feel like I'm behind.

What kind of person brags about studying 10 hours a day? Easiest way possible to get deleted from my Facebook feed!

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:
Jmazz88 wrote: I've been studying about 4-5 hours a day, every day, since Christmas Eve. Have not taken a full day off yet. However, I feel like I'm still not doing enough, and the Facebook posts from classmates taking this February exam bragging about studying 10 hours a day, everyday, is making me feel like I'm behind.

What kind of person brags about studying 10 hours a day? Easiest way possible to get deleted from my Facebook feed!
Not only this, but I keep getting daily snapchats from people trying to give off this impression that they have been on their study grind all day and night...

wlp0001

New

Post by wlp0001 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:23 pm

I feel pretty confident, but I always feel that way before tests. I have done every single thing Barbri has told me to do so far. 8-10 hour days (including lunch and dinner breaks). I also did an extra 700 mbes outside of Barbri. So if I fail, the reason won't be that I did not prepare well enough. Of course, there are some topics I suck at and some things I will never understand (like RAP or 3rd party beneficiaries for example), but I know I am as ready as I could be.

Everyone should be confident, no matter how much work you put in. Don't say "I hope I pass", go in there with a competitive mind and say to yourself, I AM GOING TO KILL THIS EXAM. Don't lose your confidence after you had a hard essay, MBE or even multiple MBEs, it's GOING TO HAPPEN (not if, it will, you are going to have speed bumps during the test). Just shake it off and move on or you will get questions wrong because you keep thinking about a prior question or essay. REMEMBER, stay confident, and SHOW UP ON GAME DAY. Good luck to everyone, let's do this.

UBE - NY FEB 2017

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

authio

New

Post by authio » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Jmazz88 wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:

Not only this, but I keep getting daily snapchats from people trying to give off this impression that they have been on their study grind all day and night...
It's these people that inspired me to turn off my Facebook notifications. Plus, I have some classmates I've seen on campus telling me (without me showing ANY interest or sympathy) about their daily regimen. I ask no questions and excuse myself to escape from these stress balls waiting to explode.

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 pm

authio wrote:
Jmazz88 wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:

It's these people that inspired me to turn off my Facebook notifications. Plus, I have some classmates I've seen on campus telling me (without me showing ANY interest or sympathy) about their daily regimen. I ask no questions and excuse myself to escape from these stress balls waiting to explode.
Exactly why I deleted my FB for the last two months. Lol

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
authio wrote:
Jmazz88 wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:

All of this. I have a friend who was claiming that she had to submit this paperwork that was the "bar of the teaching field" (umm, it's not, it's 4 essays that you do at your own pace that only relates to your specific field) and she kept texting me relentlessly about it. I was like, if it is so damn difficult and similar to what I'm doing, then why aren't you doing it instead of texting me all the time! After many unanswered texts I think she has finally given up.

Jmazz88

New

Post by Jmazz88 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm

puremorning wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
authio wrote:
Jmazz88 wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:

All of this. I have a friend who was claiming that she had to submit this paperwork that was the "bar of the teaching field" (umm, it's not, it's 4 essays that you do at your own pace that only relates to your specific field) and she kept texting me relentlessly about it. I was like, if it is so damn difficult and similar to what I'm doing, then why aren't you doing it instead of texting me all the time! After many unanswered texts I think she has finally given up.
Lol I actually had someone try to relate by telling me they had a really hard Psychology final in grad school in December so she knows where I'm coming from....ehhh not quite.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Confident? Sure, why not.

Over it? 100%

Ready for mornings not to start at 5 to study; ready not to work 10 billable hours; ready not to study until midnight.

justaguest

New

Post by justaguest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm

I felt totally confident - that I was going to fail. That feeling started somewhere around the LSATs and continued until I got my exam results.

To me, the bar exam felt completely insurmountable. We spend three years in law school with this massive pass/fail exam hanging over our heads. I never, in a million years, thought I would pass it the first time. I used Barbri. I definitely didn't study as hard as some of my friends. I did maybe 5-6 hours per day while they seemed to always be studying. Add to that, when we would have group study sessions, I never seemed to know as much as they did (you'd think this would make me study more). I also realized pretty early on that part of what I was feeling was concern about embarrassment when I failed. I was friends with some really smart people that I knew were going to pass and I didn't want to be the only one who failed. I didn't want those looks of pity when we got together for beers. Finally, the previous year's pass rate was gnawing at me - it was around 60% for my school. There were people who I thought would pass their first time out that did not. That was a real blow.

The weekend prior to the exam my personality was a mix of nervous, angry, stressed, and excited that it was nearly over. No one who wasn't taking the bar wanted to be around me (nor did I want to be around them).

But, amazingly, I passed not one but two bar exams on my first try. Don't let your lack of confidence get in your way. You can do this.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:34 pm

I felt so confident when I took July 2016.
I failed.

Retaking. I feel no confidence whatsoever.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I did a barbri set for contracts and barely hit 50%. Same with con law. These are my 2 weakest but like I have zero confidence at this point. I'm always down to 2, and I always pick the wrong one. Spent an hour crying after that. :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YalteseFalcon

New

Post by YalteseFalcon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:51 pm

cnk1220 wrote:I did a barbri set for contracts and barely hit 50%. Same with con law. These are my 2 weakest but like I have zero confidence at this point. I'm always down to 2, and I always pick the wrong one. Spent an hour crying after that. :(
Yep! Same here. I think I squeezed 50% out of MPQ6 for Contracts. I've done as high as 80 on some MPQ sets and as low as 22. I had a really awful Con Law one a few weeks ago.

And honestly, yes--I can narrow it all down to two correct ones, I stare at both of them, resign that I can't pick a favorite, close my eyes and click one. X Of course. I begin to see red after a while, because it's just so demoralizing. What's worse, is that I usually know the general rule and the main exception(s). The question turns on a very subtle exception to the exception. Sometimes I really think it's arguable, but other time's I'm clearly wrong and simply didn't know or remember the exception to the exception.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 pm

YalteseFalcon wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:I did a barbri set for contracts and barely hit 50%. Same with con law. These are my 2 weakest but like I have zero confidence at this point. I'm always down to 2, and I always pick the wrong one. Spent an hour crying after that. :(
Yep! Same here. I think I squeezed 50% out of MPQ6 for Contracts. I've done as high as 80 on some MPQ sets and as low as 22. I had a really awful Con Law one a few weeks ago.

And honestly, yes--I can narrow it all down to two correct ones, I stare at both of them, resign that I can't pick a favorite, close my eyes and click one. X Of course. I begin to see red after a while, because it's just so demoralizing. What's worse, is that I usually know the general rule and the main exception(s). The question turns on a very subtle exception to the exception. Sometimes I really think it's arguable, but other time's I'm clearly wrong and simply didn't know or remember the exception to the exception.

Ugh am I the only one who thinks con law is fucking difficult?

I never know WTF is going on in con law. It's like every problem someone is bringing some race claim who may/may not have standing with some underlying religion bullshit + free speech masked with a commerce clause exception + a presidential veto and then Congress passed a tax on top. Everything is mixed up to me. :shock: :?

YalteseFalcon

New

Post by YalteseFalcon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:16 pm

cnk1220 wrote:
YalteseFalcon wrote:

I never know WTF is going on in con law. It's like every problem someone is bringing some race claim who may/may not have standing with some underlying religion bullshit + free speech masked with a commerce clause exception + a presidential veto and then Congress passed a tax on top. Everything is mixed up to me. :shock: :?
Hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure why that subject has given me such difficulty for the bar. You're right, the issues overlap in funny ways. Even if I see the call of the question and identify what they're getting at, it feels like there are still intersections with the other areas of Con Law. Part of it is that some of the equal protection tests are used in different places, for different reasons, with slightly different language, and occasionally slight enhancements.

But yeah--"Noting the national shortage of poster-making supplies and markers, Congress passed a law prohibiting picketing against Zimbabwe in front of the The Willard Hotel during the ambassador's visit to re-negotiate a treaty the President had unilaterally voided. One group of protestors was all African American women, the other was all white men who were of illegitimate birth. Police arrested the white illegitimate men on the basis of the statute. A member of the US Dept of Justice took issue with the police handling of the incident and wrote a letter to the editor of a local newspaper that described prejudicial behaviors of American police officers against the illegitimate population. While the DOJ employee's supervisor was investigating the employee's desk, looking for cocaine, he came across the letter and terminated him without a hearing. The employee's contract stated that he could be terminated "for cause."

Answer: statute was unconstitutionally vague.

Bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

cnk1220

Silver

Post by cnk1220 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:20 pm

YalteseFalcon wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:
YalteseFalcon wrote:

Hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure why that subject has given me such difficulty for the bar. You're right, the issues overlap in funny ways. Even if I see the call of the question and identify what they're getting at, it feels like there are still intersections with the other areas of Con Law. Part of it is that some of the equal protection tests are used in different places, for different reasons, with slightly different language, and occasionally slight enhancements.

But yeah--"Noting the national shortage of poster-making supplies and markers, Congress passed a law prohibiting picketing against Zimbabwe in front of the The Willard Hotel during the ambassador's visit to re-negotiate a treaty the President had unilaterally voided. One group of protestors was all African American women, the other was all white men who were of illegitimate birth. Police arrested the white illegitimate men on the basis of the statute. A member of the US Dept of Justice took issue with the police handling of the incident and wrote a letter to the editor of a local newspaper that described prejudicial behaviors of American police officers against the illegitimate population. While the DOJ employee's supervisor was investigating the employee's desk, looking for cocaine, he came across the letter and terminated him without a hearing. The employee's contract stated that he could be terminated "for cause."

Answer: statute was unconstitutionally vague.

Bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

I think the saddest part is I had to take TWO WHOLE CLASSES of con law I and II in law school + I took con law I and II in undergrad so it was literally all the same strict scrutiny crap all over again and yet I still have no clue what's going on. I could write an essay easily but these MC Qs kill me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”