DC Bar - Feb 2017 (UBE) Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
No_name

New

Re: DC Bar - Feb 2017 (UBE)

Post by No_name » Fri May 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Mjleach wrote:I just called. The lady was pretty rude.
I asked for an update on when the grades will be out. She said to call back next Friday and hung up.
This is garbage.
Thanks for the update. Both the admissions committee and the bar candidates are feeling the pressure at this time, so I can appreciate her frustration.

texas2dclawchick

New

Post by texas2dclawchick » Fri May 05, 2017 2:52 pm

I can understand it's not the support staff's fault, but they don't need to be rude. I've received this attitude from them as well, when I called to ask why I hadn't received my registration letter that they forgot to send me...

Mjleach

New

Post by Mjleach » Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I emailed and got a better response.
The results WILL NOT be out until after the 18th, but we WILL be refunded the July filing fee if we pass.

TimothyJohn

New

Post by TimothyJohn » Fri May 05, 2017 3:29 pm

So we have no choice but to re-apply? Why don't they just extend the deadline by one week?

texas2dclawchick

New

Post by texas2dclawchick » Fri May 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Ok that needs to be widely circulated by them if its true. People need to know that a refund will be available.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bangbang07

New

Post by bangbang07 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Hey Guys,

Another tortured bar examinee here. I've been following this thread closely, and tipped off Above the Law.

To see the post:
http://bit.ly/2pPfL1f

I'm pretty pissed off, to say the least. I work full-time and having to do another application when I may have passed is b*llsh!t. I'm currently interviewing for jobs at legal departments, and those guys are not able to hold open jobs for these type of nonsense.

Good luck, and I'm there with you.
Bang

Edit - Weird, for some reason the initial link didn't work. Here's a bitly: http://bit.ly/2pPfL1f
Last edited by bangbang07 on Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texas2dclawchick

New

Post by texas2dclawchick » Fri May 05, 2017 3:55 pm

bangbang07 wrote:Hey Guys,

Another tortured bar examinee here. I've been following this thread closely, and tipped off Above the Law.

To see the post:
http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/these-pe ... -bar-exam/

I'm pretty pissed off, to say the least. I work full-time and having to do another application when I may have passed is b*llsh!t. I'm currently interviewing for jobs at legal departments, and those guys are not able to hold open jobs for these type of nonsense.

Bang
The link is broken :(

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Fri May 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Mjleach wrote:I emailed and got a better response.
The results WILL NOT be out until after the 18th, but we WILL be refunded the July filing fee if we pass.
This is sickening! They should not require us to reapply. It's not even like we can just reprint our original applications because the July application is all done online. Then we get to go through the fun of getting a bunch of certified checks, payable to the various entities.
Last edited by No_name on Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Fri May 05, 2017 4:04 pm

To see the post:

Bang
I second that, as I am in the same exact boat. Additionally, if I passed, I was going to take summer classes as part of an LLM program. Looks like that plan is now out the window!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bangbang07

New

Post by bangbang07 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm

texas2dclawchick wrote:

To see the post:

Bang
The link is broken :(
Oh weird. Joe Patrice wrote the post and now it's not on the homepage. I should have done a screenshot. :( I wonder why they pulled it?

cho8583

New

Post by cho8583 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:10 pm

bangbang07 wrote:Oh weird. Joe Patrice wrote the post and now it's not on the homepage. I should have done a screenshot. I wonder why they pulled it?
I guess Above the Law is currently working it on to publish that online? I did see the article on their main page too, which is gone now. Maybe they will update it somehow. we shall see. Thanks tho! Every bit helps in this crazy misery. Seriously, I now wish I should've gone for other jx.. but thanks for my foreign JD, no choice for me :(

bangbang07

New

Post by bangbang07 » Fri May 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Although it seems that Above the Law deleted their posting about our plight, here's where you can go to see the cached page:

http://bit.ly/2qB5Tco

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Fri May 05, 2017 4:19 pm

bangbang07 wrote:Although it seems that Above the Law deleted their posting about our plight, here's where you can go to see the cached page:

I was quoted in there, I feel humbled :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TimothyJohn

New

Post by TimothyJohn » Fri May 05, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm confused why it was posted then deleted, but that is great news that they responded to the tips. The DC admissions Bar definitely responded last time when it wrote the article about late admissions ceremonies, so maybe that will provide at least some incentive for them to not delay until the end of the month.

DisCo

New

Post by DisCo » Fri May 05, 2017 4:45 pm

jesskim wrote:
DisCo wrote:
No_name wrote:The committee of admissions website currently says it's down for maintenance...fingers crossed!
Hmm, it's still working for me. http://www.dccourts.gov/internet/appell ... e/main.jsf

Not to make everyone flip their sh*t (famous last words), but I heard from a good source (though still technically hearsay) that there was a problem with the grading of our exams and so our results may be significantly delayed. Has anyone else heard something like this? Really just trying to gather info here and not meaning to upset anyone or spread a rumor. :| :?
So... was it true after all? :cry:
Sounds like it. :oops: Sorry to be the bearer of bad-yet-true hearsay.

Man, I really don't know what I'm going to do about the July exam. I'm sort of tired of being an anxious law student reacting to every whim and rumor, and I want to just not address it and hope it remedies itself. Blah.

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Fri May 05, 2017 4:57 pm

Below is from the Rules of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals (emphasis added):

Rule 46(c)(2)

http://www.dccourts.gov/internet/docume ... ule_46.pdf

(2) Time to Apply and Fees.

(A) An application to take the bar examination shall be submitted in a format approved by the Committee and filed with the Director of Admissions (Director) not later than December 15 for the February examination and May 3 for the July examination unless, for exceptional cause shown, the time is extended by the Committee. The contents of the application to take the examination shall be confidential except upon order of the court.

(B) The application shall be accompanied by (1) a payment to the Clerk, D.C. Court of Appeals (Clerk), in an amount and form approved by the Committee and specified by the Director, and (2) payment to NCBE, or proof of payment to NCBE, in an amount and form specified on the application form.

(C) Late applications may be filed within 15 days from the closing dates specified in subparagraph (i) and must be accompanied by an additional, non-refundable payment to the Clerk, D.C. Court of Appeals, in an amount and form approved by the Committee.

Not having your Feb. bar results sounds like an exceptional cause to me. I hope the Committee agrees with this analysis, and extends the deadline.

bangbang07

New

Post by bangbang07 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 pm

TimothyJohn wrote:I'm confused why it was posted then deleted, but that is great news that they responded to the tips. The DC admissions Bar definitely responded last time when it wrote the article about late admissions ceremonies, so maybe that will provide at least some incentive for them to not delay until the end of the month.
Above the Law just reposted the news. It looks like examinees outside of DC are facing the similar issues, so they pulled it down for a bit to flesh out the blog post:

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/05/why-do-t ... m-results/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

texas2dclawchick

New

Post by texas2dclawchick » Fri May 05, 2017 5:39 pm

No_name wrote:
bangbang07 wrote:Although it seems that Above the Law deleted their posting about our plight, here's where you can go to see the cached page:

Bahah. At least you literally have 'no name' so it's pretty anonymous.

Joe Patrice if you're reading this.. THANK YOU

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Fri May 05, 2017 6:50 pm

texas2dclawchick wrote:
No_name wrote:

Bahah. At least you literally have 'no name' so it's pretty anonymous.

Joe Patrice if you're reading this.. THANK YOU
The updated article cut my quote, so I'm even more anonymous now. Oh well, but I agree with you, and would like to thank Joe Patrice for writing about the topic. It's not right that people are being put through this.

Mjleach

New

Post by Mjleach » Sat May 06, 2017 2:52 pm

It looks like there is over $100 in fees to NCBE that most likely won't be reimbursed. I emailed the D.C. Bar about it but they haven't answered.

dvd0188

New

Post by dvd0188 » Sun May 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I am selling my brand new Themis MULTISTATE Exam Books on ebay if anyone is interested. I ended up never using these so I wanted to sell them to someone who is looking for a cheaper option than purchasing the entire Themis course. There are six books in total, which cover all three portions of the UBE. I included a link below if y'all are interested. Good luck with bar prep!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112391054038?ss ... 1555.l2649

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

texas2dclawchick

New

Post by texas2dclawchick » Mon May 08, 2017 11:37 am

Mjleach wrote:It looks like there is over $100 in fees to NCBE that most likely won't be reimbursed. I emailed the D.C. Bar about it but they haven't answered.
Please keep us updated!

Anonymous81

New

Post by Anonymous81 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:51 pm

Curious, did anyone receive an email from the committee last week with an attachment with the waiver for July 2017 deadline?

Mjleach

New

Post by Mjleach » Mon May 08, 2017 1:02 pm

It wasn't a waiver for the deadline. It was a waiver of the May 3rd late fee.

No_name

New

Post by No_name » Mon May 08, 2017 2:05 pm

The ATL article has been updated again today. Below is the relevant info.

UPDATE (5/8/17 1:07 p.m.): Regardless of what posters may be told on the phone, D.C.’s official position is that their waiver of the late fee absolves students of needing to register now. A statement from Leah Gurowitz of the D.C. Courts states:

The Court of Appeals issued an order waiving the late fee for the July 2017 exam for those who were unsuccessful in February, because the February exam results were not available before the regular deadline on May 3. The court emailed this order to all February 2017 examinees so they would not feel they needed to apply for the July exam before learning the February results. We expect to release the February results well before the late registration deadline, May 18.

So they expect results in the next 10 days. We’ll see.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”