Lean Sheets flashcards vs. Critical Pass cards? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
judysmith

New

Lean Sheets flashcards vs. Critical Pass cards?

Post by judysmith » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:25 am

Has anyone ordered the flash cards along with their leans sheets? If so how do you like them and are they helpful? For those who have used both the lean sheets and critical pass cards, do you prefer one over the other? I am definitely ordering lean sheets, but figuring out if I want to order their flashcards as well or just order critical pass cards as I was previously planning. Comments on either set of cards would be very helpful! Thanks!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Lean Sheets flashcards vs. Critical Pass cards?

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:55 pm

judysmith wrote:Has anyone ordered the flash cards along with their leans sheets? If so how do you like them and are they helpful? For those who have used both the lean sheets and critical pass cards, do you prefer one over the other? I am definitely ordering lean sheets, but figuring out if I want to order their flashcards as well or just order critical pass cards as I was previously planning. Comments on either set of cards would be very helpful! Thanks!
I used both. I ordered critical pass and then a friend gave me a copy of their lean sheets. I found critical pass to be very helpful in understanding the bll. Lean sheets were good the last week of prep for memorization of the major parts of each subject.

sarahjane10

New

Post by sarahjane10 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:21 pm

It all really depends on how in-depth you're trying to study. Same as the above poster, I used both. Critical Pass flashcards are pretty detailed flashcards and I liked them for reviewing all aspects of each subject. I think each subject has approximately 50-70 flashcards per topic. And then I had a friend email me her lean sheets and I think it was 1-3 pages per topic so those were good for reading over the day before the test to refresh everything in my mind and break it down to the main, concise points.

pooh_pooh778

New

Post by pooh_pooh778 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:43 pm

I am taking Feb 2017 Bar and find critical pass a very useful tool. How I wish they'd cover the other 8 subjects on MEE too :(

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 pm

I never used Lean Sheets, but I highly recommend Critical Pass as a supplement (referral link with discount code for $$$ off - http://criticalpass.refr.cc/8GVXRT9). I went reviewed 2-3 subjects each day before proceeding to an MBE practice drill. Drills were both subject specific and mixed. I found this to be a good way to review BLL before tackling a set of MBE questions. It's a great supplement to a bar course and a time saver if you love to learn by flash card like me.
Last edited by Neve on Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Neve,

What is with the .cc top level domain? Commonly given out in the island nation of Cocos???

Smells fishy...

Law&coffee

New

Post by Law&coffee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:37 pm

I would also recommend Critical Pass. I don't too many people who used Lean Sheets; they seemed thin on substance and more like something you would use to fine tune your knowledge of black letter law. On the other hand, Critical Pass pairs extremely well with a Barbri course as a supplement. Many think of Critical Pass as the CMR in flash card format!

Slimz89

New

Post by Slimz89 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:01 pm

If you want to save $10 and get free shipping on Critical Pass Flashcards, use this link: http://criticalpass.refr.cc/10offandfreeshipping

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon May 15, 2017 12:17 am

I used CP and annotated them each day post-lecture and post-CMR (BarBri) to add additional info and mnemonics. I found the fact that they were pre-printed to be a huge time saver over making my own from scratch. Because I reviewed them in detail, it wasn't like I wasn't learning.

Lean Sheets were VERY high level, often had typos, occasionally were incorrect or outdated on the law (at least for MA last summer). I still went straight to them during the actual exam (before in the AM and at lunchtime) because they were the exact level of "don't forget about this" that I needed at that point.

I though Critical Pass were incredibly helpful for certain subjects and less so for others. Worth it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Mon May 15, 2017 12:28 am

I bought a set of Critical Pass flashcards that had one topic open, with the rest of the topics sealed, and I ended up selling them after fhe bar exam with still only one topic opened and the rest still sealed. They were bulky, hard to keep up with, and just not my style. However, I also purchased their phone app and would use that some nights while lying in bed as it was much more convenient than the physical cards.

I loved the leansheets the week of the exam. Great product to brush up on things.

PunkWonkMike

New

Post by PunkWonkMike » Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am

Leprechaun wrote:I bought a set of Critical Pass flashcards that had one topic open, with the rest of the topics sealed, and I ended up selling them after fhe bar exam with still only one topic opened and the rest still sealed. They were bulky, hard to keep up with, and just not my style. However, I also purchased their phone app and would use that some nights while lying in bed as it was much more convenient than the physical cards.

I loved the leansheets the week of the exam. Great product to brush up on things.
I had a pretty similar experience with both CP and LS. I think my LS/Studicata review the final weekend before the exam may have been the difference maker for me (passed the first time taking the bar, but didn't take until I had been out of law school 5+ years). I also kind of liked the BarOutlines flashcards, which were pretty easy, but were great for building my confidence back up while initially relearning all my 1L classes I struggled through nearly a decade ago.

jtom195

New

Post by jtom195 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 pm

PunkWonkMike wrote:
Leprechaun wrote:I bought a set of Critical Pass flashcards that had one topic open, with the rest of the topics sealed, and I ended up selling them after fhe bar exam with still only one topic opened and the rest still sealed. They were bulky, hard to keep up with, and just not my style. However, I also purchased their phone app and would use that some nights while lying in bed as it was much more convenient than the physical cards.

I had a pretty similar experience with both CP and LS. I think my LS/Studicata review the final weekend before the exam may have been the difference maker for me (passed the first time taking the bar, but didn't take until I had been out of law school 5+ years). I also kind of liked the BarOutlines flashcards, which were pretty easy, but were great for building my confidence back up while initially relearning all my 1L classes I struggled through nearly a decade ago.
I'm thinking about purchasing Studicata, as well. Looks like they are by far the most bang for your buck at $165 for everything. Did you use their outline, flashcards, subject summaries, or a combination? Trying to decide which products would be the most helpful. I'm not really a big flashcard person, but it looks like its cheaper to bundle all three products than to buy two separately, and I think the outline and subject summaries are what I want to focus on most. Any recommendations? Also, I have seen some discount codes floating around, but they all seem to be expired. If anyone has a code, that would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

law9871

New

Post by law9871 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:34 pm

jtom195 wrote:
PunkWonkMike wrote:

I'm thinking about purchasing Studicata, as well. Looks like they are by far the most bang for your buck at $165 for everything. Did you use their outline, flashcards, subject summaries, or a combination? Trying to decide which products would be the most helpful. I'm not really a big flashcard person, but it looks like its cheaper to bundle all three products than to buy two separately, and I think the outline and subject summaries are what I want to focus on most. Any recommendations? Also, I have seen some discount codes floating around, but they all seem to be expired. If anyone has a code, that would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
I've been using the Critical Pass Flashcards and I am very happy with the actual flash cards and the app! It condenses all of the important relevant information so that you can see the big picture of each topic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sleee1

New

Post by sleee1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:22 pm

jtom195 wrote:
PunkWonkMike wrote:

Thank you!
Any luck finding a discount code that works?

jtom195

New

Post by jtom195 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:11 pm

sleee1 wrote:
jtom195 wrote:
PunkWonkMike wrote:

Thank you!
Any luck finding a discount code that works?
20% off here: https://blockbusterblawg.com/2017/05/31 ... -discount/

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:24 pm

There is a Lean Sheets discount code for 15% off at your time of purchase. If you are interested in the leansheet code, you can contact us via our website or social media.
https://blockbusterblawg.com/ or @ubestudying

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Here is my $0.02. Stop purchasing supplements as a way to make yourself feel like you're preparing for the bar (not to say that supplements don't help). I passed last year using only these outlines:

https://law.stanford.edu/office-of-stud ... formation/

Although this only applies to CBX takers, my message is you don't need a ton of supplements to do well on the exam. Just what works for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm

I have both and I think the critical pass ones are much more helpful. That being said, I think I will review closer to the exam more with the lean sheets because critical pass will be too cumbersome and detailed for quick review of major things.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:00 am

LockBox wrote:Here is my $0.02. Stop purchasing supplements as a way to make yourself feel like you're preparing for the bar (not to say that supplements don't help). I passed last year using only these outlines:

Although this only applies to CBX takers, my message is you don't need a ton of supplements to do well on the exam. Just what works for you.
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion however you do not know the exact subjective circumstances or situations regarding why people may be inquiring as to supplemental materials. Perhaps they work for that individual or perhaps someone was unable to secure a Financial loan for a hefty Bar Prep course price or maybe people just want that extra comfort of having something to check their understanding and materials against as time allows. I think it is pretty audacious to state that everyone interested in or that is purchasing or has purchased supplemental material are doing so to make themselves feel better or make themselves feel as though they are studying. They can be quite useful in as I mentioned checking understanding or supplementing your bar course materials for weak areas or what have you and I know people that used simply one or two of these " supplemental materials," and did practicr questions instead of a traditional bar exam course for one of the reasons I stated above which is that she could not procure alone for a bar exam company. She used the supplemental materials and did practice questions and passed the New York bar exam - not the UBE which was adopted two years after she took her exam. In other words, just as you used those outlines to pass your California bar exam she used supplemental materials that did not cost much (but did spend some money) and she passed what you and I both know was the hardest or second hardest (as NY and Cali tended to jockey back and forth) exam in the country. So while you are entitled to your two cents and opinion it is at the very least disrespectful and rude to make a generalized assertion that people are simply purchasing this material to make themselves feel better(?) But then again, Californians have made far more outrageous statements (please see prop 8, the economic instability resulting in "IOU's" to their state workers, Etc.).

In other words I guess my two cents is that you don't have to debase or insult or make generalized statements which you clearly are not qualified to make because if what you said was true then you haven't seen used purchased or had any sort of exposure to such supplemental materials merely in order for you to brag (?) That you passed your exam with only the outlines you mentioned.

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:37 pm

LockBox wrote:Here is my $0.02. Stop purchasing supplements as a way to make yourself feel like you're preparing for the bar (not to say that supplements don't help). I passed last year using only these outlines:

A lot of people can only afford to take the bar once. If I didn't pass on my first try, I don't know what I would have done. A bar course is expensive plus the time and money you spend forgoing income from work during bar prep period. I spent money buying Critical Pass and Emanuel's and it was well worth it. I also was lucky enough to have access to a Texas bar outline bank that was essential to my mastery of state specific material. If anyone needs access to the Texas bar outline bank, PM me with your email address.
Last edited by Neve on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ubebarstudying

Bronze

Post by ubebarstudying » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:51 pm

Neve wrote:

A lot of people can only afford to take the bar once. If I didn't pass on my first try, I don't know what I would have done. A bar course is expensive plus the time and money you spend forgoing income from work during bar prep period. I spent money buying Critical Pass and Emanuel's and it was well worth it. I also was lucky enough to have access to a Texas bar outline bank that was essential to my mastery of state specific material. If anyone needs access to the Texas bar outline bank, PM me.
Exactly, and it being worth it and also a more accessible and affordable resource is what matters...not how this clown studied. It is about how people TAKING THE EXAM NOW feel and the value they get and by no means is just a way of making yourself feel like you are studying. I am not sure why, if he passed, he is still trolling about threads such as this other than to criticize people who study differently and possibly to brag about passing and the means through which he passed. But i thought this thread was intended to answer a question for someone who, at posting, was bar studying. Further, the question was specific to two companies and their products. I do not see how the unjustified condescending tone, bashing the products and those who use them - particularly by a person alleging he used neither - is answering said question or conducive to a positive community forum where the focus should be and tends to be more about helping people from the admissions process to law school to The Bar Exam and Beyond.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjl4612

New

Post by mjl4612 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Critical Pass cards helped me do other activities while still refreshing my brain on major topics. I would use them at work and at the gym. Great for multitasking. I'm selling my set from 2016 - in excellent condition with all cards. PM me if interested.

happyhour1122

Silver

Post by happyhour1122 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:33 pm

critical pass helps with MBE
lean sheet helped me with my essays

Neve

Bronze

Post by Neve » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:21 pm

If you're in a time crunch or behind in studying, Lean Sheets is a good way to go. Some states, like Texas, recycle topics year after year. Prior to taking the Texas Bar, I reviewed about 10-12 years worth of essays in all state subjects. It helped me enormously for the essays, especially in topics I was struggling with like Secured Transactions. If you have time to do this, I would recommend it.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Post by Damage Over Time » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 pm

I bought the iPhone app that had a ton of "flash card"-like materials and found it tremendously helpful while on-the-go. It was ~$60 iirc, but well worth it in my experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”