2017 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rhs67858

New

CaliforniaBarTutors.com? Or keeping searching...

Post by rhs67858 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:08 pm

rcharter1978, I left a message for Patrick per the phone number on that website, but no response yet... Also several links were not working.

TLS, does anyone have experience with CaliforniaBarTutors.com? I am considering their $1889.00 package, which includes 50 essays graded and 20 PTs graded. Additionally, 30 tutoring hours. However, its not with a former bar exam grader. Instead, grading and tutoring would be with a professor or licensed attorney. I feel like the force is not strong with this one; I will keep searching.

She was telling me they're an all encompassing program, thus scrap all my Barbri stuff from July and just use their materials they would be mailing. However, I just purchased adaptibar last week.

I need organize my s**t here. I also need to get on a full-time schedule because I am leaving work in two weeks to study full-time.

rcharter1978

Gold

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:25 pm

RHS -- does he have an email address in his site? If not PM me and I'll find it. He may be busy fielding potential tutorees.

I've never heard of .CA bar tutors. But I don't know about just having attorneys tutor you. Just passing the bar exam doesn t particularly make you qualified to tutor, IMO.

You also get what you pay for and that price seems too low for what they offer.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:28 pm

pml87 wrote:
Msnegativity wrote:Hi all. I was close enough to get a second read, but I definitely underestimated the PTs and essays. Kicking myself now.

Essay 1: 60
Essay 2: 57.5
Essay 3: 55
Essay 4: 60
Essay 5: 67.5
Essay 6: 65
PT A: 50
PT B: 57.5

Scaled written: 1359.6608
Scaled MBE: 1489.0
Scaled TOTAL: 1404.9295

I've got a lot of work to do, but I'm stumped on how to improve my PT score. I feel like nothing could've prepared me for PT A. Sigh.
That was unfortunate. I feel for you. On the other hand, you only need to do better on PT and one essay to pass this Feb. Re PT A, it was a classic assignment any associate would get first year in and I expect at least one PT will have something like it this Feb. You get the facts, the Black Letter, and the authorities that hint on how to apply the BL. The trick is to fast read everything, then start outlining with the BL as your big bullet point and the cases as your small one. The facts are the meat that will be regrouped under each point. Again, the trick is high concentration during 1st and 2nd reading of the facts. Make a mental or physical notes about a fact that is pertinent to either the BL or a case. The mapping out of the BL and authorities will help immensely in navigating through the facts. Practicing by reading long passages without breaking concentration. Doing this well enough and you will realize additional and more obscure facts/law that will distinguish your essay from the rest.
PT organization was key for me. I would get a plan/method in place. The red PT book is good.

rhs67858

New

Post by rhs67858 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:01 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:RHS -- does he have an email address in his site? If not PM me and I'll find it. He may be busy fielding potential tutorees.

I've never heard of .CA bar tutors. But I don't know about just having attorneys tutor you. Just passing the bar exam doesn t particularly make you qualified to tutor, IMO.

You also get what you pay for and that price seems too low for what they offer.
Yeah, it was in a voicemail for that number and so I emailed him as well yesterday. That's a good point you raise, both in terms of having just anybody grade essays no matter how qualified they claim to be on paper, and also the getting what you pay for issue.

james11

New

Post by james11 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:33 am

I am a former repeater who eventually passed the exam. I know what many of you are going through and it is awful. The best remedy at this point is to develop a plan.

I was a regular poster on this board a number of years back. I am reposting an action plan that somebody else posted I found to be really good. I hope it helps you too:

This is the original thread post - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=213457&start=1375

You can do it, and possibly only with a little over a month of studying. Some background: I failed a class in the Spring semester and had to write a makeup research paper to get my diploma this year. Because I had to do this paper, I couldn't get started with my bar studying until the last week of June. During the 5 weeks before the bar exam, I studied about 6-8 quality hours per day (although I did step it up to 8-10 hours the week before the exam). I didn't watch video lectures (except for Evidence) and I hardly used any of the material provided by bar prep courses. By and large, I stopped doing MBE questions in the last week. Despite all this, I passed, and I left each day of the bar exam feeling like I had passed.

With respect to the non-PT essays, I highly recommend you do the following:

(1) Buy a set of Leansheets for the California Bar (you can Google up "leansheets California Bar") and commit to memorizing and being able to regurgitate the materials from those sheets. The Leansheets are not exhaustive, but they are good enough, and most of all humanly manageable. The only downside to the Leansheets is that they are very tersely worded; you might need an old BarBri Conviser to give you more verbose explanations of the rules.

(2) Get a subscription to BarEssays.com. The pairing of model essays with old questions is a GODSEND. What I did was I went through all the model essays for the past 7-8 years for a given topic, and I just wrote down all the different headings and subheadings. This gave me an idea of what the distribution was for legal issues tested on the exam. As you'll see, 90% of the issues that come up for any essay in any topic is something that has been asked before in the past 5-6 years. Once I knew what the predictable "universe" of recurring issues was, I just made sure that I could spit out a rules statement that more or less hit all the major elements of the model answer's rule statement. The essays are all about the setup; once you have your rules statement, you just need to methodically work through each element and discuss whether it is present or not based on the facts.

(3) PRACTICE YOUR BUTT OFF. With a BarEssays account, you have no excuse for being unprepared when it comes to the 1-hour essays. Once you've done step (2) above, do every single essay you can for a given topic, starting from older essays and working your way up to more recent ones (you want to practice with the most recent questions the week before the exam). When you first do essays, stick with one subject per day, and do one essay at a time for at least 2-3 essays a day. Sticking to one topic and doing multiple essays in that topic will make it easier for you to learn and internalize the rules. Starting from at least two weeks before the exam, you should be doing the essays in a cluster of three to simulate the actual test taking experience.

Remember: it is the practicing which will actually get you to memorize your rule statements. Always compare your answer against the model essay. Don't rely on a grader, as all that will do is give you an excuse to wait around for the grader to get back to you. Immediately after you do a practice essay take a 10 minute break tops, and compare your answer against the model. By reviewing right after taking a practice exam you maximize your retention of the material. I kid you not, I felt like I was going to fail until about a week before the bar exam when I flew out to California early and locked myself in a hotel room for a week, and just drilled essays all day (well not really *all* day; just 8-10 hours). Until that week, all of my rules statements were very vague and iffy; constantly writing them down in a timed setting, in response to a hypo, was what really crystallized those rules for me. Also, if you run out of essays to practice, just start from the beginning again. Even if you recognize a hypo, you get the benefit of refreshing your memory by just going through the practice of typing your rules statements into a blank document.

With respect to the PTs: once again, practice is king. And really what it is you're practicing with the PTs is reading and drafting. I think half the battle with PTs is just being able to finish in a coherent way, and that requires development of reading and drafting skills.

"Reading skills" refers to the ability to: quickly decide whether material is relevant or not; markup the library and file in a way which allows you to return to key facts/language/issues efficiently; and get through the material at a good pace with adequate comprehension.

"Drafting skills" refers to the ability to: identify and select a format which allows you to present your arguments in a way which is both logical (e.g., arranging issues from most important/convincing to least important/convincing), efficient (e.g., with a minimum of repetition, by using phrases like "supra" and "see analysis above"), and easy to read (e.g., using ample underlining and empty spaces to make reading your essay easier on the graders); and phrase your thoughts in clear and succinct language.

Ultimately, my stance on the PTs is this: for most mortals, it's just not possible to identify all the possible issues and present complete analysis for each of those issues. What you need to create is a product that passes the smell test: it looks lawyerly (formatting and organization); it sounds lawyerly (logical and methodical writing and analysis); and it shows a sufficient amount of intelligence and effort (provides at least some kind of response to each legal question raised by the client/call of the question, and in doing so provides a meaty analysis for 70-80% of the possible issues, and nearly all of the really big ones).

Given my position above, when it came to PTs all I did to cross-check my answers was to make sure I hit most of the issues that the model answers (or high scoring applicant answers) identified. I didn't stress out about my answer's format looking very different from the model or high scoring answers. As long as my answers were objectively well-organized, easy to read, and complete (i.e., introductory and conclusory sections, and no headings or subheadings left unfilled), I knew I was in good shape.

TL; DR: For the MBE: drill using BarMax; learn nuances from Emmanuel's "Strategies and Tactics for the MBE". For the essays: Learn the law from Leansheets, using BarBri Conviser as a supplement if you need more detail/explanation; get a BarEssays.com subscription and practice essays until your fingers drop off. For PTs: keep practicing until you can consistently draft memos which are well-organized, easy to read, hit most of the issues, and look complete (no unfilled sections; complete intro and conclusion).

And in general: practice all of the above until you are able to consistently finish with an extra 10-15 minutes for each hour of work. So be able to finish individual essays with 10-15 minutes to spare, and be able to finish your PTs with about half an hour to spare. That will give you enough time to tidy up your PTs, double-check for any quick issues you might have missed, or go back to a previous essay in order to flesh out another issue. Also, you never know what condition you'll be in during the exam. Being able to finish early gives you a safety buffer. I had bronchitis the week before and during the exam, and I lost a good 5-10 minutes of every hour having to get up, go outside, cough and drink water.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawless!

New

Post by Lawless! » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:44 am

misterX wrote:What a horrible month.

Similar to drawingasmile, felt good about the essays but the scores prove otherwise:

Essay 1: 55
Essay 2: 55
Essay 5: 65
Essay 6: 55
PT A: 55
PT B: 50

Raw Written: 555
Scaled Written: 1272.7
Scaled MBE: 1218

Total Scaled Score: 1253.5

Had not practiced essays as much as I should have and instead did 50% of adaptibar. This time will try to approach things more evenly (thank god no more time-consuming online BarBri lectures!). Good luck to all!

My essay scores look similar and I left the exam thinking I crushed at least 4/6 essays. Like you, I'm dumb-founded. I have no idea how my essay scores are sooooo low. I'm waiting to get my actual essays in the mail soon (hopefully).

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:47 pm

Lawless! wrote:
misterX wrote:What a horrible month.

Similar to drawingasmile, felt good about the essays but the scores prove otherwise:

Essay 1: 55
Essay 6: 55
PT A: 55
PT B: 50

Raw Written: 555
Scaled Written: 1272.7
Scaled MBE: 1218

Total Scaled Score: 1253.5

Had not practiced essays as much as I should have and instead did 50% of adaptibar. This time will try to approach things more evenly (thank god no more time-consuming online BarBri lectures!). Good luck to all!

My essay scores look similar and I left the exam thinking I crushed at least 4/6 essays. Like you, I'm dumb-founded. I have no idea how my essay scores are sooooo low. I'm waiting to get my actual essays in the mail soon (hopefully).
If these are your scores, you probably need to focus on BLL. Your writing may be fine, but its likely you're missing issues, because your base knowledge of BLL may not be as strong. Which is fine, the Barbri method didn't work for me. When I switched back to my law school study style, I didn't just do better, I FELT so much better.

Barebones

New

Post by Barebones » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:59 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
old_soul wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
juristudent wrote:F#$%. Now that reality is setting in and I have to start thinking about February...

For successful applicants, what are your thoughts on using a tutor? I relied almost exclusively on Barbri, crushed the completion percentage, and had almost no doubt I'd be on the pass list on my first attempt.

Is a tutor just a lazy way to get around being proactive about tailoring my study approach? Is there some legitimate value added? I can't go through this for a third time.
I got a tutor. He was a former bar grader because that was super important to me as my biggest weakness was with essays.

He was extremely tough, but he whipped me right into shape.

To me, the advantage of a tutor who was a former bar grader was that he didn't just know what I should put into an essay, he knew what I could and should leave OUT of an essay. Sometimes I would waste my time in an area that would only get me five points. If you have a five point issue, you need to put in five points worth of writing. If you have a 15 point issue, thats where you put in work.

He showed me how to get my essays done effectively and efficiently. No back and forth arguments, which is what I did throughout law school.

A lot of the time I hated him, because I was stressed out and he didn't sugar coat a damn thing. But I passed, so now I love him :)

FWIW -- I only know of three tutors who are past bar graders (2 in nor cal, and 1 in so cal). I think they fill up pretty quick. I used the one in so.cal and he was probably the best deal. His package was about 1/2 of the other tutor I spoke to (5000 vs. 2600), and he offered more services (3 essays a week +13 hours of tutoring vs. 2 essays a week + 6 hours of tutoring). The guy in nor cal was very sweet, and I think we would have gotten along like a house on fire, but in retrospect I'm glad I went with the tutor I went with.

Which tutor was this? I'm also looking for a tutor and signing up with one soon for around 5800. Also a former bar grader.
My tutor was Patrick Lin. I'm thinking you may be signing up with one of the nor cal tutors? Both seemed really cool. But 5800 is no joke!! Neither is 2600, but still.
Just adding to rcharter's endorsement of Patrick Lin. rcharter actually recommended him to me after I took the bar for the first time and failed in Feb '16. I passed this Nov, probably only with Patrick's help because ALL of my essays and PTs were scored below a 65 in Feb. He also helped me become way more comfortable with the PTs. If you're struggling with the essay/PT portion of the bar, he's definitely worth a try

rhs67858

New

Post by rhs67858 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Barebones wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
old_soul wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
juristudent wrote:F#$%. Now that reality is setting in and I have to start thinking about February...

For successful applicants, what are your thoughts on using a tutor? I relied almost exclusively on Barbri, crushed the completion percentage, and had almost no doubt I'd be on the pass list on my first attempt.

Is a tutor just a lazy way to get around being proactive about tailoring my study approach? Is there some legitimate value added? I can't go through this for a third time.
I got a tutor. He was a former bar grader because that was super important to me as my biggest weakness was with essays.

He was extremely tough, but he whipped me right into shape.

To me, the advantage of a tutor who was a former bar grader was that he didn't just know what I should put into an essay, he knew what I could and should leave OUT of an essay. Sometimes I would waste my time in an area that would only get me five points. If you have a five point issue, you need to put in five points worth of writing. If you have a 15 point issue, thats where you put in work.

He showed me how to get my essays done effectively and efficiently. No back and forth arguments, which is what I did throughout law school.

A lot of the time I hated him, because I was stressed out and he didn't sugar coat a damn thing. But I passed, so now I love him :)

FWIW -- I only know of three tutors who are past bar graders (2 in nor cal, and 1 in so cal). I think they fill up pretty quick. I used the one in so.cal and he was probably the best deal. His package was about 1/2 of the other tutor I spoke to (5000 vs. 2600), and he offered more services (3 essays a week +13 hours of tutoring vs. 2 essays a week + 6 hours of tutoring). The guy in nor cal was very sweet, and I think we would have gotten along like a house on fire, but in retrospect I'm glad I went with the tutor I went with.

Which tutor was this? I'm also looking for a tutor and signing up with one soon for around 5800. Also a former bar grader.
My tutor was Patrick Lin. I'm thinking you may be signing up with one of the nor cal tutors? Both seemed really cool. But 5800 is no joke!! Neither is 2600, but still.
Just adding to rcharter's endorsement of Patrick Lin. rcharter actually recommended him to me after I took the bar for the first time and failed in Feb '16. I passed this Nov, probably only with Patrick's help because ALL of my essays and PTs were scored below a 65 in Feb. He also helped me become way more comfortable with the PTs. If you're struggling with the essay/PT portion of the bar, he's definitely worth a try

Thanks for the endorsement. I signed up last night with him and feel good about it, although $2,600 plus adaptibar was f***** financially brutal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:00 pm

I know how you all feel, being a repeater myself. The only thing I want to add to the discussion is this - do not let your purchase of a tutor's services or adaptibar or any other supplement lead you to believe that passing is inevitable. It's still you in that testing room and many people fail even after utilizing the benefits of a tutor.

From my own experience, I will say that I think I effectively used my tutor's feedback and (sometimes harsh) critiques to get myself to understand what I needed to work on. Also, I chose to disregard some of my tutor's advice because I believed they were wrong and/or that I understood how I learned better than they understood my learning process. Personally, it led to turmoil and disagreements, but I am happy to say that I went with my gut and it worked out in the end. Sometimes, after all the advice, you have to go with your gut.

Itiswhatitis

New

Post by Itiswhatitis » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Hello All:

Never thought I would be posting here. I could not have been more confident going into the bar that I would pass.

Made an execution error on Pt-B that ended up being the difference.

Here are my scores:

1. 62.5
2. 60
3. 57.5
4. 57.5
5. 62.5
6. 65
PTA 55
PTB 55

Raw Written: 585
Scaled MBE: 1550

Total Scaled: 1437.5872

I am still working full time but started doing 20-30 multiple choice questions every morning and doing PTs and Essays on the weekend (well did one PT today to start). Also do not know how much time to take off, is taking only a month off taking too much of a risk?

Also, considering a tutor to bump my Essay scores since I thought I did way better on many of them.
Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do. I know Adaptibar would be helpful and a tutor would be great but I really do not want to pay that much money, especially considering I was so close. However, I cannot fail again.

I feel like I guessed on many MBE questions but still did very well, so I do not want to bank on doing that well again.

Any advice would be helpful.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:37 am

Itiswhatitis wrote:Hello All:

Never thought I would be posting here. I could not have been more confident going into the bar that I would pass.

Here are my scores:

1. 62.5
2. 60
3. 57.5
4. 57.5
5. 62.5
6. 65
PTA 55
PTB 55

I am still working full time but started doing 20-30 multiple choice questions every morning and doing PTs and Essays on the weekend (well did one PT today to start). Also do not know how much time to take off, is taking only a month off taking too much of a risk?

Also, considering a tutor to bump my Essay scores since I thought I did way better on many of them.
Can anyone give me some advice on what I should do. I know Adaptibar would be helpful and a tutor would be great but I really do not want to pay that much money, especially considering I was so close. However, I cannot fail again.

I feel like I guessed on many MBE questions but still did very well, so I do not want to bank on doing that well again.

You were really damn close to passing with your total score of 1437-1438 (1440 to pass). Yet another reminder that every 5 points matter.

I notice your PTs were not great, with 55 for both. Your essays are not great, not horrible. On the other hand, your MBE is quite good.

The problem is not the MBE. You can keep doing your MBE questions to maintain your knowledge of the law, but I would focus more on the writing portion. It seems like you know the law pretty well (given your MBE score), so you may need more practice with IRAC.

So instead of doing MBE every day, why not an essay or two? Your brain is the freshest in the first two hours of the morning. You could use that window of opportunity for essays, then do some MBE at night or every other night.

Once you get used to doing full essays on time, try identifying only issues and rules mostly. You NEED to get the issues and rules they're looking for. It will help if you exercise your "origination" muscle where you're actively coming up with issues and rules without being certain as to whether they're correct or even relevant, checking against model/sample answers, and implementing that feedback to get better.

ledv

New

Post by ledv » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:38 am

Essay 1: 60
Essay 4: 55
Essay 6: 60
PT B: 55

Raw Written: 560
Scaled Written: 1290.0748
Scaled MBE: 1322.0000

I took Barbri and am eligible for a free retake of the course. Can someone help me deciphering this? Does this mean I have weak areas all-around? Although I am eligible for Barbri, I dont want to use it. I am looking at hiring a tutor (ex-bar grader) who focuses primarily on essays and PTs. Should I do that or enroll in One-Timers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rhs67858

New

Post by rhs67858 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:28 am

ledv wrote:Essay 1: 60
Essay 4: 55
Essay 6: 60
PT B: 55

Raw Written: 560
Scaled Written: 1290.0748
Scaled MBE: 1322.0000

I took Barbri and am eligible for a free retake of the course. Can someone help me deciphering this? Does this mean I have weak areas all-around? Although I am eligible for Barbri, I dont want to use it. I am looking at hiring a tutor (ex-bar grader) who focuses primarily on essays and PTs. Should I do that or enroll in One-Timers?
I'm in your exact same boat. I'm going with a tutor and using AdaptiBar.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Itiswhatitis wrote:Hello All:

Here are my scores:

1. 62.5
2. 60
3. 57.5
4. 57.5
5. 62.5
6. 65
PTA 55
PTB 55

You were close. This should be comforting. However, think of it this way - how would you feel if you got your scores back in May from this upcoming Feb exam and it was lower? It can definitely happen - I saw it happen to a lot of friends.

My suggestion is continue working on your weaknesses but don't think it's a done deal. In essence, you are starting again, though you will have retained the information. This isn't an exam you can cram for - you need to be putting in the work regardless of how it turned out for you last time. Really grasp how failing a second time would feel if you want some motivation to study.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:27 pm

I just want to say my stinky (literally) alma mater, UC Hastings College of the Law, just released a ludicrous pass statistic of 51% -- a coin flip!

Good to see them finally doing something about their laissez-faire approach but there's still a fundamental problem:
a male human wrote:
General_Tso wrote:July 2016 bar pass rate 51%

#ThirdTierToilet
I'm reading this email right now

My live reaction:
[+] Spoiler
UC Hastings will pay for a subscription to the supplemental MBE preparation service Adaptibar.com or the essay scoring bank BarEssays.com for all of our graduates who did not pass the July 2016 California Bar exam.
Well, that's a good start at least. Good to see them finally doing something about their laissez-faire approach but there's still a fundamental problem: Of course, no one's gonna take the time to teach them HOW TO pass the fucking bar. It's all WHAT to study. Very frustrating to see and why I spent a year putting together a self-study guide.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:42 pm

Holy......
a male human wrote:I just want to say my stinky (literally) alma mater, UC Hastings College of the Law, just released a ludicrous pass statistic of 51% -- a coin flip!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Post by Spartan_Alum_12 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:09 pm

I am fortunate enough to be a 1st time passer this past July and I want to share a method I used that may be a useful tool for some people here on the essays.

When beginning an essay, the first thing I would do is read through the fact pattern and bracket each fact on the side of the text and put a number next to it. Every fact was then numbered and I usually had a good feel of the essay. Then I would read the fact pattern again and issue spot, writing the issues down below the text or on the scrapped paper. Below each issue I would put the fact number that corresponded with each issue (obviously some facts go to multiple issues).

I felt this saved me a lot of time and organization when outlining and structuring the essays. I wasn't wasting time thinking about how to outline, this was just simple methotical method that worked and gave me all the info I needed to type out the essay. My IRAC was basically in front of me on the scrapped paper. If one of my numbered facts was not on my scrapped paper under an issue I would take some time to think about something I was potentially missing, as usually all facts are there for a reason on the CA bar.

My scrapped paper would look something like this:

Issue underlined

Issue underlined

Then in examsoft I would type out the issue as a heading, type out the rule out of memory, go up to bracketed numbered fact in the fact pattern and type that fact out pretty much verbatim linking it up to the rule or an element of the rule I typed above using because, repeat for all the numbered facts for the issue, and then conclude.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 pm

a male human wrote:I just want to say my stinky (literally) alma mater, UC Hastings College of the Law, just released a ludicrous pass statistic of 51% -- a coin flip!

Good to see them finally doing something about their laissez-faire approach but there's still a fundamental problem:
a male human wrote:
General_Tso wrote:July 2016 bar pass rate 51%

#ThirdTierToilet
I'm reading this email right now

My live reaction:
[+] Spoiler
UC Hastings will pay for a subscription to the supplemental MBE preparation service Adaptibar.com or the essay scoring bank BarEssays.com for all of our graduates who did not pass the July 2016 California Bar exam.
Well, that's a good start at least. Good to see them finally doing something about their laissez-faire approach but there's still a fundamental problem: Of course, no one's gonna take the time to teach them HOW TO pass the fucking bar. It's all WHAT to study. Very frustrating to see and why I spent a year putting together a self-study guide.
Hey, does anyone know how to find the chart with bar passage rates by school?

I can't seem to find anything from 2016, so if anyone has a link can you share??

Thanks!!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:00 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Hey, does anyone know how to find the chart with bar passage rates by school?

I can't seem to find anything from 2016, so if anyone has a link can you share??

Thanks!!
Don't think this is released publicly. Just to school administration so far.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Hm yeah 2016 stats are pretty sparse even though the 2015 ones break it down by school

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examina ... stics.aspx

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Thank you both, it's so odd that there isn't a real comprehensive breakdown for the feb16 administration

pml87

New

Post by pml87 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:42 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:Thank you both, it's so odd that there isn't a real comprehensive breakdown for the feb16 administration
See http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... rnage.html for the reasons.

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:03 pm

pml87 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Thank you both, it's so odd that there isn't a real comprehensive breakdown for the feb16 administration
That article seems to cover the reasons for the drop in pass rates, but not the reason why the breakdown of pass rate by school wouldn't be released. Unless I missed something.

It's a little ridiculous that the CA Bar wouldn't release the numbers by school as they have done for previous exam administrations so I wonder what the deal is.

I mean in this day and age where we're all telling students to make sure to get all the information you can get on a school, wouldn't bar passage rate be a piece of information you would want about a potential school?

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
pml87 wrote:
That article seems to cover the reasons for the drop in pass rates, but not the reason why the breakdown of pass rate by school wouldn't be released. Unless I missed something.

It's a little ridiculous that the CA Bar wouldn't release the numbers by school as they have done for previous exam administrations so I wonder what the deal is.

I mean in this day and age where we're all telling students to make sure to get all the information you can get on a school, wouldn't bar passage rate be a piece of information you would want about a potential school?
Pretty sure they always release this well after the initial summary of bar results.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”