2017 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
a male human

Gold

2017 February California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:35 pm

This is the thread for discussing the administration of the California Bar Exam (CBX) or General Bar Exam (GBX) occurring in February, 2017.

The upcoming exam is special because it will be the last time the three-day format will be offered before the switch to the two-day format, unless policy changes again.

The statistics for 2016 July exam: 43% (third-lowest July pass rate on record, with the trend getting worse)
Summary of pass rates: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/docu ... 201607.pdf
STATE BAR ANNOUNCES RESULTS FOR JULY 2016 CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/AboutUs/News/T ... 01645.aspx

Previous threads that may be helpful, in reverse chronological order
2016 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=260090
2016 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=260833
2015 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=244425
2015 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=240022
2014 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=225140
2014 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=220409
2013 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=213457

Some potentially helpful resources in the next post.
Last edited by a male human on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a male human

Gold

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:48 pm

Are you taking the 2017 CA bar and wondering where to start? This collection of resources seemed helpful to people. Feel free to suggest your own!

Investing in resources is an indicator of success, but you also shouldn't just buy everything willy nilly. The more choices you have, the more confused you're likely to be (and waste time on things that ultimately don't help).

So what are you supposed to buy? I've been hanging around the seasonal TLS bar threads since 2013 and seen the most effective tools that helped people pass the bar. On my second attempt at the CA bar, I've tried some that helped me pass, and I've tried some that didn't add any value.

Below is a list of resources I picked out that should give you the most bang for your buck. No need to overcomplicate things or go broke. Do your due diligence, pick a few resources that will work for you, and extract as much as you can.

You may not have the patience or mental energy to think about this when you're still shell shocked, gripped by anxiety, or overwhelmed with the reality of defeat. Maybe you're lost, desperate to magically pass, or simply deferring the hard decision of seeking the right help. You'll definitely go through a rollercoaster of feels. That's OK. Take solace in knowing that all the information is out there; all you need to do is implement them, when you're ready to do so.

Shortnotes on the most popular and effective supplements for...

- MBE on a budget? Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Volume I (see description and an inside look below)
- MBE if you have $365 to shell out? AdaptiBar (see description below)
You can improve your MBE with either of these excellent tools. Get AdaptiBar if you have the budget, but you do not need both.
- Essays? BarEssays.com (see info and samples below)
- PTs? I don't know of a sure-kill supplement, but I have put together a guide (ver. 1.41); unlike the MBE or essays, PTs are better learned through exposure to a variety of them over trying to deeply understand the answer

Search the [ID] to jump to the description of a featured resource, tagged by sections of interest:

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Vols. I & II (Emanuel) + Civ Pro resources [MBE]
[*2] Law in a Flash [MBE] [Essays]
[*3] BarEssays.com ($25 off) [Essays]
[*4] Past CA essays and performance tests (and a guide to own the PTs) [Essays] [PTs]
[*5] BarIssues.com ($20 off) [Essays]
[*6] BarMax MBE app [MBE]
[*7] Adaptibar ($30 off) [MBE]

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Volume I (Emanuel 6th edition): This is the MBE bible.

It's great (and may be the only MBE supplement you need) because it comes with hundreds of representative MBE questions that are all genuine and were previously administered, and I urge you to study with the real deal (see why). More specifically, there are 525+ NCBE-sourced questions and 70 author-generated Civ Pro questions (which I hear are excellent).

Read it all, do all the questions, and review all the answers. Each subject is prefaced with a discussion of the tricky areas and how to deal with them. Some subjects have an overview of the major topics. There will be tips that revolve around multiple choice in general. The 200-question practice test at the back can be done to gauge your progress sometime in the final month leading to the bar.

So what does it look like inside? Pics incoming:
Subject overview
Questions
Explanations

Link: 6th edition (2016) -- includes excellent author-generated Civ Pro questions

I no longer recommend the 5th edition (2012) given the picky, nuanced Civ Pro MBE questions that have appeared lately.

[*1] Strategies & Tactics for the MBE Volume II (Emanuel): This is the expansion pack to the above book, containing new questions. It's in a different format, where the answer appears right beneath the question. If you're doing a question for practice, you'll have to carefully cover the answer as you do each question.

The valuable feature in Vol. 2 is how the questions are categorized into labeled topics. For example, Q45 on page 166 is filed under Chapter 5 Formal Proceedings -- I. Grand Jury Proceedings -- A. Self-incrimination and immunity. For better or worse, some headings contain answer spoilers for the concepts, e.g., Q46 on page 167 is filed under B. No right to have attorney present in grand jury room, which gives away the answer. Nonetheless, great for supplementary real MBE questions, especially if you know or want to improve on specific issues.

What it looks like inside

Link: 2012 (latest) edition

[*1] What about Civ Pro MBE?
Civ Pro MBE questions nowadays are picky, testing specific nuances such as number of days before a certain deadline. Strategies & Tactics (6th ed., 2016) Volume 1 is likely your best bet to prepare for Civ Pro questions, given that the questions are similar to real MBE questions even if they are written by the author.

AdaptiBar (recommended) or BarMax MBE below [*6][*7] provide a good number of Civ Pro questions but are a more expensive option.

To look at free Civ Pro MBE questions...

- BarPrepHero has a practice exam with 30 Civ Pro questions here.
- The NCBE has sample questions here.

Additionally, I've heard (hearsay) that Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure (2013) was more than sufficient. It’s cheaper than BarMax or AdaptiBar, but check out based on your own curiosity)

[*2] Law in a Flash cards: I bought 6 boxes of these to patch up my weak subjects. They were especially handy when I had to be out, like when I was trying to learn some tricky Evidence concepts and I could whip out a few cards from my wallet, or when I was trying to learn the various federal jurisdictions inside a noisy Verizon store.

Link: List of LIAF products

[*3] BarEssays.com: One of the most popular resources you'll see mentioned around the forums.

What does it look like inside?
- Check out this essay that scored an 85! Imagine if you studied this and produced the same results on the bar...
- Also fairly new to BarEssays are essay templates that you can literally copy and paste. Check out this Contracts template.

If you're wondering what makes a passing essay vs. what doesn't on the California Bar Exam, this is a large repository of actual graded essays and PTs submitted by those who didn't pass.

But this doesn't mean the essays are all sub-par! While there are essays scored 40 and 50 that show what is not passing material, there are essays that earned 75, 80, or even 85.

The advantage of this repository is the variety of real answers you can study.

Because the State Bar doesn’t disclose how well its model answers did, it’s hard to tell whether they are barely passing or top scoring. All they indicate are that they are “passing” essays and that essays don’t need to hit all the issues, which is implied by answers A and B covering different issues (although each usually hits all the key issues).

There are over 3,000 essays that you can search by subject, range of score, year/month, and even typed/handwritten/both for anyone worried about handwriting. Some have grader commentary.

These essay examples are useful after you outline or write out an essay to check whether you discussed relevant issues and rules and used the facts properly. I'd look at least one below and one above 65, with grader commentary if available.

High scorers tend to discuss all the issues and much of the nuances—but do not necessarily have excellent rule statements or analyses. While you want to look like the 70-75+ people, you’ll notice that they don’t always look like the impossible Barbri answers. These are real answers you can compare to see where you stand.

The owner has raised the price in recent months, and I don't blame him. Fortunately, I have a coupon for $25 off a subscription! Ask me or someone else.

[*4] Past essays and performance tests: These might be the only free things you get from the CA State Bar. They release exam questions from each administration.

Link: State Bar of California Past Exams

If you're looking for convenient access to individual questions organized by subject and issue, check out BarIssues.com below ($20 off).

For a budget version, here is an essay locator -- a list of essays organized by subject and issues contained therein (issues incomplete).

User Rap Genius found a repository of all the essay questions and sample analyses here: https://sites.google.com/site/easybarpasser/past-exams/

I have also put together a guide to own the PTs (v. 1.41), including an approach to answering the PTs in 3 hours, why you NEED to practice PTs, and list of PTs to practice in order of difficulty.

[*5] BarIssues.com: Need to hone in on that mysterious issue you've never been able to tame ever since you laid eyes on it? Need to know which issues have been tested most frequently?

BarIssues is a directory of all the issues that have been tested on the California Bar Exam in the last 10 or so years. You can sort by frequency or the issue itself. A convenient link to the question and model answers is available whenever you explore a subject and its issues.

It's a subscription-based service like BarEssays (i.e., no perpetual access). But I have a $20 coupon for this as well!

[*6] BarMax MBE ($249.99): As with the rest of BarMax's offerings, your materials are available online or via mobile iOS devices, which allows for great portability. A solid choice if you don't mind reading questions on a tablet and being unable to write on a paper surface. But the better-known MBE supplement is...

[*7] Adaptibar ($395/365): This program gives you access to the entire universe of NCBE-released questions (1,700+ of them) and is web based and accessible via PC (desktop or laptop) and mobile site. This is useful for those who are working and studying at the same time because you can prepare with AdaptiBar during lunch and breaks. Detailed explanations are provided for each question as well as thorough subject performance and timing analysis feedback. In addition, the program allows users to create PDF reports of questions that were answered incorrectly. This makes it simple to print the questions and explanations out and review the rules you didn't understand.

Moreover, the online app adapts to your strengths and weaknesses and can create customized full-length tests, too. Additional information regarding the program can be found in this flyer and at http://www.adaptibar.com/pricing.aspx.

It is indeed rather expensive, but it’s probably the single best comprehensive option to study for the MBE, assuming you have the budget... but I have a code for $60 $30 off an AdaptiBar subscription (feel free to ask me or someone else; the person whose code you use gets a small kickback). UNFORTUNATELY, THIS TURNED INTO $30 FOR ALL CODES YOU SEE HERE, PER ADAPTIBAR POLICY CHANGE.
Last edited by a male human on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 18 times in total.

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 pm

ur_hero wrote:First-time CBX taker -was unfortunately unsuccessful.

For those interested: I did Themis and finished about 60%, then focusing on MBE and BarEssays practice for the last month. My main regret is perhaps all the time wasted on lectures that could have been spent practicing, as I'm not much of an auditory learner. I'm pretty surprised at the result, although I can think of a lot of things I could have done better.

I've been a long-time lurker here, and appreciate all the support and advice I've received. Hopefully I can learn something these next three months and pay it forward.

See you all in the February 2017 thread.
I'm also Big Law, and have one more shot at it in February according to my firm policy. Have to drop the bad news on Monday.

I'll be posting my score breakdown once I receive it. I'm in disbelief, but gotta confront this head on and do what needs to be done.

fear_no_evil

New

Post by fear_no_evil » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:11 pm

a male human wrote:This is the thread for discussing the administration of the California Bar Exam (CBX) or General Bar Exam (GBX) occurring in 2017 February.

The upcoming exam is special because it will be the last time the three-day format will be offered before the switch to the two-day format, unless policy changes again.

The statistics for 2016 July exam: 43% (third-lowest July pass rate on record, with the trend getting worse)
Summary of pass rates: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/docu ... 201607.pdf
STATE BAR ANNOUNCES RESULTS FOR JULY 2016 CALIFORNIA BAR EXAMINATION: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/AboutUs/News/T ... 01645.aspx

Previous threads that may be helpful, in reverse chronological order
2016 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=260090
2016 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=260833
2015 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=244425
2015 February: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=240022
2014 July: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=225140
2014 February: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=220409
2013 July: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=213457

Some potentially helpful resources in the next post.
Thanks for starting this thread! Great info here.

rhs67858

New

Post by rhs67858 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Checking in.
Hungry.
These next three months are going to be good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rosh1005

New

Post by rosh1005 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:20 pm

I just failed for the 3rd time. Im hoping and praying February is it. I don't think I can mentally do this again. . .

2TimesTheCharm

New

Post by 2TimesTheCharm » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:13 am

Don't despair; you can do it! BarEssays + LeanSheets for essays, and Adaptibar + Critical Pass flashcards for the MBE.

Also, I had these Adaptibar codes from a while ago when the discount was $50. I don't know if they're still worth $50 or are only worth $30 now, but if they help, please feel free to use them: ZCXXUBYF and HUCHGWPQ

BlenderBtl90

New

Post by BlenderBtl90 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Hey gang -

I failed the July 2015 Cali Exam. By like 80 points (lol). Then retook and passed the February 2016. I was feeling courageous enough and took NY Bar exam in July 2016, and I also passed that shiz. So now I'm licensed in California and soon to be licensed in NY.

You will pass if you use the right strategy that works for YOU, not for others.

I'll be happy to share my strategy which I think was super helpful for Cali retake AND NY Bar. Feel free to PM me to chat.

Good luck!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:16 pm

BlenderBtl90 wrote:Hey gang -

I failed the July 2015 Cali Exam. By like 80 points (lol). Then retook and passed the February 2016. I was feeling courageous enough and took NY Bar exam in July 2016, and I also passed that shiz. So now I'm licensed in California and soon to be licensed in NY.

I'll be happy to share my strategy which I think was super helpful for Cali retake AND NY Bar. Feel free to PM me to chat.

Good luck!
Agreed.

You're tempted to follow The Plan given to you by your prep company because you’re scared of deviating from the beaten path. The progress meter stares at you and makes eye contact with your completionist tendency.

They want you to watch 3-hour lectures and “take notes!” They want you to do a certain number of questions from a certain subject on a certain day (which does not necessarily cater to your weaknesses). They give you marching orders to fall in line with a curriculum that tells you to study each subject for the same 2-3 days in a particular order so that everyone can go at the same pace (this is for the average student; you’re not an average student).

We’re surrounded by easy distractions. They put you on a surefire path of certainty. The act of consumption makes us feel like things are going our way because it’s easy to simply look at what already there. It’s a sense of false security, an illusion of confidence. Arrogance comes later. There is absolutely no place for it before you open up that first essay prompt during bar week.

The Plan is just a suggestion. Feel free to find inspiration from someone else, but pick what you want to try or follow. Only you can personalize your studies based on what you think is right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stv

New

Post by stv » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:38 pm

BlenderBtl90 wrote:Hey gang -

Good luck!
I am an out-of-state applicant and have not knowledge about the Cali bar. I am thinking about taking Themis, not Barbri, since I am the one who pays the bill. Does anyone hear about how good/bad Themis is for the Cali bar? Any first or second-hand knowledge, reputation, etc?

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Score Breakdown:

Essay 1: 70
Essay 2: 50
Essay 3: 55
Essay 4: 60
Essay 5: 65
Essay 6: 55
PT A: 50
PT B: 60

Raw Written: 575.0
Scaled Written: 1342.2643
Scaled MBE: 1459

Total Scaled Score: 1383.1218

-------------------

Looks like I underestimated and under-performed on the PTs, more than anything. PTA was a surprised for me and I know I struggled on it. All essays could certainly use some work as well.

Totally do-able. February is going to be different.

Funny enough, I used ZERO California law on Essay 1 for Cal Civil Procedure. Somehow got a 70.....HMMMMMM.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:09 pm

ur_hero wrote:Score Breakdown:

-------------------

Looks like I underestimated and under-performed on the PTs, more than anything. PTA was a surprised for me and I know I struggled on it. All essays could certainly use some work as well.

Yeah, you got this!

People tend to ignore the PTs until a PT or two kicks them in the ass. But it's an actual section on the bar that accounts for like 30% of your grade.

Remember PTs are each worth 2x an essay (at least until July) and don't need extensive cramming because they are skill based; no memorization of bar law is required. I would do one every Tuesday (or whenever) instead of procrastinating and winging them.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Shocked to receive the results last Friday. Did not expect not to pass. Work for the fed government, so part of me wants to retake a random state's bar with a high pass rate just to keep my job (need to pass a bar in the next 12 months). Not a good long term option as I'd need to pass CA at some point or I`m forced to stay gov forever. So...

I`m here. I`m in this until February. Let's do it again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyer2b_

New

Post by lawyer2b_ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am a third time passer! For those re-takers, I just wanted to encourage you to never give up and keep your confidence. And know that you WILL pass. I definitely suggest having someone read through your practice essays and do at least three practice exams a day. Adaptibar, baressay.com, and lean sheets are very helpful. I want to be a resource to whoever needs an encouraging word or some help. Trust me, I've taken this exam three times, I DEFINITELY know this exam. LOL Feel free to reach out to me! And just know that you are not alone. Good luck in February!!!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Great to hear. A lawyer2b, indeed!

Congrats!
lawyer2b_ wrote:Hi Everyone!

I am a third time passer! For those re-takers, I just wanted to encourage you to never give up and keep your confidence. And know that you WILL pass. I definitely suggest having someone read through your practice essays and do at least three practice exams a day. Adaptibar, baressay.com, and lean sheets are very helpful. I want to be a resource to whoever needs an encouraging word or some help. Trust me, I've taken this exam three times, I DEFINITELY know this exam. LOL Feel free to reach out to me! And just know that you are not alone. Good luck in February!!!

old_soul

Bronze

Post by old_soul » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a first-timer for the Cal bar in Feb. Is anyone located in SF and possibly looking for a study partner to crush the Feb exam?

If so, do PM me!

drawingasmile

New

Post by drawingasmile » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Got my results.

Essay 1: 55
Essay 2: 55
Essay 4: 65
Essay 5: 55
Essay 6: 50
PT A: 55
PT B: 70

Raw Written: 585.0
Scaled Written: 1377.0573
Scaled MBE: 1253

Total Scaled Score: 1333.6372

I was surprised at my essays, since I felt comfortable while writing them - I did much worse than I thought. The MBE really kicked my ass as well. I know what to improve on - and good luck to everyone!!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

misterX

New

Post by misterX » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 pm

edited
Last edited by misterX on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2TimesTheCharm

New

Post by 2TimesTheCharm » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:35 pm

-------------------

Funny enough, I used ZERO California law on Essay 1 for Cal Civil Procedure. Somehow got a 70.....HMMMMMM.
You are my favorite person today. Thank you.

masterlee

New

Post by masterlee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:16 am

Reporting. Got the letter earlier today:

Essay 1: 55
Essay 2: 55
Essay 4: 55
Essay 5: 75

PT A: 55

Raw Written: 580.0
Scaled Written: 1359.6608
Scaled MBE: 1280.0

Total Scaled Score: 1331.7795

------------------------

Horrible scores. I thought I nailed Essay 3, 4, and 6, but, obviously, I did not. I also thought I nailed the PTs. That did not happen either. Coming into the bar I knew my MBEs were bad so no surprise there. I'm buying S&T volume 1 and 2, and AdaptiBar to strengthen my MBE score and I'll sign up for Bar Essays to strengthen my essay and PT sections. I'll use my Kaplan books as supplemental materials. Let's get pumped and destroy the 2017 February CA Bar!

optimistic_owl

New

Post by optimistic_owl » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:22 am

Checking in here.

Managed to get a second read on my July essays, but it didn't help much. (In fact, the second reader gave me a lower score :()

Ready to get started for February.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Discouraged

New

Post by Discouraged » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:13 am

[/quote][/quote]

-------------------

How did you get your score breakdown already? I thought it had to be mailed to us?

Discouraged

New

Post by Discouraged » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:56 am

Just checked the mail, reporting in:

1: 55
2: 65
3: 60
4: 55
5: 55
6: 65
PTA: 55
PTB: 60

Raw Written: 585
Scaled Written: 1377.0573
Scaled MBE: 1343

Total Scaled Score: 1365.1372

Any suggestions on what was my weakest area? I'm thinking MBE which honestly I was pretty sure I was bombing. I wonder how many more MBE questions I would have needed to make up for the (approx 75pt gap)...

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:43 am

-------------------

I think PTs are the easiest place to make up points. I used the red PT book and did a PT lecture online that my tutor offered. Both were invaluable.

I felt lost the first time with the PT's and Barbri's PT materials were an absolute joke IMO.

2TimesTheCharm

New

Post by 2TimesTheCharm » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:37 pm

PT's are only thing I did okay on during my first exam (65 for PTA and 70 for PTB... I did very poorly on the MBE and two subject essays.) I didn't like Barbri's method, so I made up my own:

I found it helpful to start by typing in the header and conclusion.

Then, as I read, I transcribe any law I find useful into the exam. It saves time.

Third, I sort the transcription into categories, put in headers, and add introductory sentences.

Finally, I make up arguments that fit the inquiry under each transcription. If the transcription helped my case, I'll explain how it's good for our case. If not, I write a sentence about how this helps opposing counsel, and then, 1) if it's a persuasive essay, explain how our case is different/ why this rule doesn't apply, or 2) if it's an objective essay, say we need to address the issue by getting a counter argument of ____ or more information on ____.

Just my two cents.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”