2017 February California Bar Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dredd16

New

Re: 2017 February California Bar Exam

Post by dredd16 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 am

Something I noticed...the formula to calculate the written score is different in February 2017 than it was for July 2014

02/17: Written scaled score = (Raw written score x 3.0730) – 488.1300

07/14: Written scaled score = (Raw written score x 3.1098) - 469.4400

Sources: https://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portal ... 0714_R.pdf
https://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portal ... 0714_R.pdf

Is there some sort of explanation for this?

Edit: Nvm. I'm an idiot. Scaling. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... p?t=246649
Last edited by dredd16 on Wed May 17, 2017 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aydog

New

Post by Aydog » Wed May 17, 2017 3:02 am

angiesmirnoff wrote:Guys..... :cry:

I received my scores, and they just show what a lottery it is... I ran out of time on Essay #2 since I did Essay 3 and Essay 1 first.

If the first grader gave me a 70 instead of a 60 on the First Read for PTA, I would have passed!!!
They did give it to me on second read, but the score was averaged.

Noticed how I performed worse than others on Contracts but still passed the MBEs.
What a shame... I could have been celebrating a win of this lottery now. Every exam is so different, and how well you perform now seems to have nothing to do with the next 'game' of essays and PTs and MBEs.

Crushed. Totally crushed.

I also feel like the July test is a suicide - all the recent graduates are going in for the kill.
And I am working full-time now. What should I do - retake, or wait it out until next winter?

1st read 2nd read Averaged Grade
Essay 1: 90 80 85
Essay 2: 50 50 50
Essay 3: 65 60 62.5
Essay 4: 60 60 60
Essay 5: 55 55 55
Essay 6: 65 70 67.5

PTA: 60 70 65
PTB: 55 55 55

Scaled Written: 1417.13
Scaled MBE: 1454.00

Total Scaled Score: 1430.0345

MBE Percentile Rank:
Civ Pro: 63.6
ConLaw: 84.8
Contracts: 27.1
Crim Law: 64.4
Evidence: 79.0
Real Property: 90.8
Torts: 46.9

Local: 67.8
National: 77.4

This nightmare is not over yet....

What a lottery.... I can tell by the scores, especially by the discrepancies in the first read and the second reads!!!!!!!!! A higher score on Essay 6 and on PTA ON THE FIRST READ would have passed me, which means that YOUR DESTINY DEPENDS ON THE MOOD OF THE GRADER, REALLY!!!!!! HOW IS THAT FAIR? There's a huge difference between a 60 and a 70 score on a PT!!!! For the same work written!

:(((

omg Angie

dont' lose hope, you got great MBE's work on your contract score

and now that the PT wont' be worth half your grade, you can pass this exam.

I saw your downfall was the performance exam

the performance exam is the reason I passed the February 2017 bar.

kick ass July 2017 and do your best you will be on the pass list!!
@angie

rcharter1978

Gold

Post by rcharter1978 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:33 am

Angie -- I don't think I've ever seen a 90 essay score. What happened on the PTs?

No way you should be getting a 50 or 55 on an essay. Your mbe score is fine, for someone writing a 90 essay even if you shut the bed on q2 I can't understand the other lower essay scores.

You'll be fine in July.

maxmartin

Silver

Post by maxmartin » Wed May 17, 2017 9:52 am

It just shows how erratic essay grading is.
JoeSeperac wrote: Sorry, no clue about the new score system, but there is a great paper on the CA score system from 1977:
http://www.seaphe.org/pdf/past-bar-rese ... ations.pdf

One of the most interesting findings from this paper was that when they gave the same examinee's essay to all the graders (without telling them) to see how consistent they were (the graders were told to mark each essay pass or fail), they found that the graders were consistent only 67% of the time (i.e. for every two graders that marked the essay a PASS, one grader marked it a FAIL).

My personal opinion is that CA will switch to the UBE in a few years (the switch from a 3-day exam to a 2-day exam was rather suggestive of this). The big states are eventually going to all fall in line (e.g. Illinois is currently considering the UBE and will probably be the next big jurisdiction to switch).

Aydog

New

Post by Aydog » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 am

rcharter1978 wrote:Angie -- I don't think I've ever seen a 90 essay score. What happened on the PTs?

No way you should be getting a 50 or 55 on an essay. Your mbe score is fine, for someone writing a 90 essay even if you shut the bed on q2 I can't understand the other lower essay scores.

You'll be fine in July.

I think she took too much time on the wills question
Last edited by Aydog on Wed May 17, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aydog

New

Post by Aydog » Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 am

rcharter1978 wrote:Angie -- I don't think I've ever seen a 90 essay score. What happened on the PTs?

You'll be fine in July.

because she probably went all in on a "90 point essay" mean she spent 2 hours on that question easily

probably only had 20 points on the other question she got a 50 or 55 in

people who do that usually fail

lol spend an hour an 10 max on each essay or you fail

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am

Aydog wrote:

You'll be fine in July.

because she probably went all in on a "90 point essay" mean she spent 2 hours on that question easily

probably only had 20 points on the other question she got a 50 or 55 in

people who do that usually fail

lol spend an hour an 10 max on each essay or you fail
I know I got a 50 on Essay 2 (I didn't even talk about any remedies) and I passed.

What killed her was having 2 essays that were 50/55 and one PT that was a 55. The PT low score basically kills you because that's worth 2 essays.

What I learned is you're only afforded 1 50 on the essays but not on the PTs.

Aydog

New

Post by Aydog » Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 am

yep same

on July 16 I had a 70 on PT 2, and a 55 on PT 1

reason I failed I had a 1410, If I had a 70 on both PT's I would have passed easily.

that's the main problem you have to be consistent on this exam.

good news for Angie is PT is only going to be worth 1 essay now, so she can rest easy and scores one 90 again and keep the same MBE and she will pass.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm

The PT is not going to be worth one essay. It's still worth two essays, despite the 90-minute length! Specifically, the PT will be allocated 200 points out of 700 total for the written portion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angiesmirnoff

New

Post by angiesmirnoff » Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 pm

ur_hero wrote:Score Breakdown:

Essay 1: 70
Essay 2: 50
Essay 3: 55
Essay 4: 60
Essay 5: 65
Essay 6: 55
PT A: 50
PT B: 60

Raw Written: 575.0
Scaled Written: 1342.2643
Scaled MBE: 1459

Total Scaled Score: 1383.1218

-------------------

Looks like I underestimated and under-performed on the PTs, more than anything. PTA was a surprised for me and I know I struggled on it. All essays could certainly use some work as well.

Totally do-able. February is going to be different.

Funny enough, I used ZERO California law on Essay 1 for Cal Civil Procedure. Somehow got a 70.....HMMMMMM.

How did February go?? :))
Last edited by angiesmirnoff on Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angiesmirnoff

New

Post by angiesmirnoff » Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Thank you so much for your support. Congrats on passing! Doesn't it feel like such a relief .. :wink:

My PTs are always 60-65-ish... But I got upset when I looked at the scores and saw that one guy would give 60 (below pass) on his bad day maybe? and the other grader gives a 70 (clearly above pass). What's the competency of the first time readers? I don't get it! Who is grading it. How can it be such a huge difference - well below pass and well above pass? Who trains them how to grade? Because of that first grader's incompetence, I was sent to the second read and that averaged a bunch of my scores.
So so so unfair. What discourages me is, what are the chances there will be some other untrained grader? How can there be such a discrepancy???

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 pm

angiesmirnoff wrote:

-------------------

Looks like I underestimated and under-performed on the PTs, more than anything. PTA was a surprised for me and I know I struggled on it. All essays could certainly use some work as well.

Funny enough, I used ZERO California law on Essay 1 for Cal Civil Procedure. Somehow got a 70.....HMMMMMM.

WASN'T FIRST ONE THE WILLS ESSAY?
p.s. I almost passed.,, got a 1430... it but can you imagine, first grader gave me a 60 on PTA, and on the second read I got 70 for it. IF THE FIRST GRADER GAVE ME AT LEAST A 65 that I originally deserved, I would have passed the whole bar because the PT's net points are worth more than the essays' net points.
The second read messed up my scores because they are averaged then. SO BECAUSE OF THE INCOMPETENCE IN GRADING BY THE FIRST GRADER, 6 MONTHS OF MY LIFE IS GONE AND I DIDN'T GET TO THE PASS LIST.
My frustration is here - HOW CAN ONE GIVE a 60 (below pass) and the other one a 70 (above pass)???? ITS LIKE ONE PUTS A B- and the OTHER ONE GIVES A SOLID A, so I end up with the B and fail the bar exam because the first grader messed up. I clearly deserved at least a 65 (which the later re-read showed).

Only the first grader (who was probably merely in the bad mood that day) thank you! Because of you, my whole exam was ruined.

Not only is this exam a lottery based on subjective grading, it is also designed specifically to cut people to maintain the notorious low-pass rate in California.
Let me example serve you how arbitrary the grading really is.
[Those scores were from my July 2016 bar exam when this thread first started - my way of accepting failure!]

But, yeah I totally agree that grading can be arbitrary and it's easy to see why. That's one thing we unfortunately have to accept, and make up for by kicking ass across the board on the essays/PT. The way I saw it, even if I had one essay I thought was graded low, I also felt others I got too HIGH a score in. I had tons of room to improve on all of my writing so I practiced that and aimed for 75s in all subjects like a psycho. Probably didn't get that and I likely got scores I'd think are unfair here and there (some too high, some too low), but regardless, this brought my average up all-around enough to never have to know.

Point is, we can't control their grading so all we can do is do everything in our power to write and organize in a way that makes it difficult for them to give us less than a 65 on as many subjects as possible.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed May 17, 2017 1:19 pm

angiesmirnoff wrote:Thank you so much for your support. Congrats on passing! Doesn't it feel like such a relief .. :wink:

My PTs are always 60-65-ish... But I got upset when I looked at the scores and saw that one guy would give 60 (below pass) on his bad day maybe? and the other grader gives a 70 (clearly above pass). What's the competency of the first time readers? I don't get it! Who is grading it. How can it be such a huge difference - well below pass and well above pass? Who trains them how to grade? Because of that first grader's incompetence, I was sent to the second read and that averaged a bunch of my scores.
So so so unfair. What discourages me is, what are the chances there will be some other untrained grader? How can there be such a discrepancy???
First off, you'll pass in july. Just grind through it and get it done.

Secondly, why are you upset at the competency of the first grader? Maybe he got it right and the "70" grader is the one whose competency you should be questioning? :P

In all seriousness though, that's the reason there are two PT's and 6 essays - so that you aren't as affected by the random fluctuations of the graders. You have to exhibit lawyerly writing over a series of questions and subjects. This is also why I do not think that the July exam will be much different - although the MBE will be weighted more, conceivably making it more objective, you're still dealing with, what, 5 essays and 2 PT's (albeit shorter ones). There is still a lot of room there to exhibit good writing/analysis and that is what you should be focused on now.

Finally, the advice of stop thinking about it and move on aren't the most comforting, but this sort of thing happens. I hear it from all of the attorneys at my work when they gripe about getting a bad call from a judge. It happens. All we can and should do is learn from it in order to avoid it in the future. With respect to the bar, just focus on bringing your score in ALL categories up and you'll be fine.

I do empathize with you though. Take heart that you did very well and that you can build on your foundation to rock this thing in a few months.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Wed May 17, 2017 1:19 pm

angiesmirnoff wrote:

-------------------

How did February go?? :))
I passed :]

dredd16

New

Post by dredd16 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm

LockBox wrote: This is also why I do not think that the July exam will be much different - although the MBE will be weighted more, conceivably making it more objective, you're still dealing with, what, 5 essays and 2 PT's (albeit shorter ones).
You mean just 1 PT.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed May 17, 2017 2:09 pm

angiesmirnoff wrote:Thank you so much for your support. Congrats on passing! Doesn't it feel like such a relief .. :wink:

The good news is this subjectivity is limited to 50% now, which I think is so great.

You're going to totally crush July. I read a Seperac article on how MBE scores are higher in July for a whole host of reasons. Unlike NY (which gives out MBE scores even if you pass), CA didn't give me mine so I don't know how my performance was different. But a 145 is amazing and I bet it's going to be through the roof, especially if you can focus on contracts. 91 percentile on REAL PROPERTY?! This shows you're a really smart cookie and just need to touch up a few things here and there.

If I had your score breakdown, I would work on practicing timing and self-control. Your great MBE score and killer score on some of your essays, shows you have the substantive knowledge and instincts to smash the essays. But your score pattern suggests that you're not being fair to each essay and focusing too much on some at the expense of others. This probably has to do with nerves and trying to focus on your comfort areas.

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 pm

dredd16 wrote:
LockBox wrote: This is also why I do not think that the July exam will be much different - although the MBE will be weighted more, conceivably making it more objective, you're still dealing with, what, 5 essays and 2 PT's (albeit shorter ones).
You mean just 1 PT.
Yes, thank you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed May 17, 2017 2:45 pm

ur_hero wrote:Point is, we can't control their grading so all we can do is do everything in our power to write and organize in a way that makes it difficult for them to give us less than a 65 on as many subjects as possible.
Yep, it really sucks to be at the whims of underemployed bar graders, but the written portion is also an exercise in delivering good work product in a way that the reader can understand. The better they can understand, the better your chances of getting the grade.

Keep in mind that grading essays is a soul-sucking chore. I had to read and analyze maybe a dozen returned answers one time, and I wanted to kill myself. Graders read the same shit over and over over, hundreds if not thousands of times. They will read it on the toilet or while waiting at the stop light (based on anecdotes).

If you make it easy on them, they're more likely to think you "got" it, give you that extra bump, and get on with collecting their $3.25.

sittin_pretty

New

Post by sittin_pretty » Wed May 17, 2017 5:54 pm

I didn't mention this before, but I'm a former law professor. I just passed the Cali bar exam, lawyer's version, on the first try (would have been quite embarrassed if I hadn't). After reading through this thread I was all set to sign up to be a grader, despite already having gainful employment. I was thinking I could gain supplemental income while doing a good deed: I have five years' experience grading law exams, and think I'd be a good and fair grader. But it turns out they ONLY hire graders who live in the San Francisco area (and I'm in SoCal): http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examina ... rader.aspx

Oh well. I tried. :D

lawdestiny

New

Post by lawdestiny » Wed May 17, 2017 8:33 pm

I passed the California bar on my second attempt (took it July 2016 and February 2017) and wanted to share some things I did differently in case they might be useful for retakers:

1. As you probably know, BarBri gives you a free redo if you fail the exam. I reviewed the big outline (not the Conviser) from cover to cover, typing out the most important points for each concept. All the other materials--lectures, books, etc.--were pretty much useless. I went into the bar having only completed about 3% of the assignments, whereas the first time I did about 60%.

2. I used BarBri's free essay grading service and took the scores and comments seriously. The first time, when I was getting 50s and 55s, I thought, "They're being too harsh!" and ignored their advice. The second time, I actually rewrote the essays for practice, using their edits as a guide.

3. I got an essay tutor. PM me for his contact info if you'd like--he's awesome and charges reasonable rates. He's in the Bay Area but is happy to do Skype and phone conferences with those farther away.

4. The week after I found out I failed, I studied every day for 5-8 hours. Most days I studied fewer than 8 hours because, honestly, I couldn't mentally handle it. But the hours I did study were extremely productive, with no distractions. If you can, take time off work (I took a two-month unpaid leave). Don't shortchange yourself or be a martyr (e.g., "I'll only take off three weeks to study right before the bar so the boss doesn't think I'm a slacker."). While it sucks not having a salary and perhaps having to take out more loans or borrow from family/friends, it will suck worse if you fail again. I kept reminding myself that this is only a temporary situation.

5. Nearly every day I wrote 1 or more essays. Not only did I write out the essays instead of just outlining them, but I also studied the model answers and then corrected my own essays using Track Changes in Microsoft Word. As you might imagine, this took HOURS, but it was totally worth it.

6. Although I didn't do terribly on the MBE the first time, I am not a great multiple choice test-taker and did not want to mess up the second time around. Therefore, I bought the latest edition of Strategies & Tactics for the MBE on Amazon and did every single question in the book. I didn't force myself to do "x" number of questions per day because, if I didn't achieve that goal, I would've felt like a loser. Rather, I did the questions in uneven chunks, reviewed every answer (even the ones I got right), and redid the questions using the new way of thinking I'd gleaned from the explanations.

7. If I felt tired during my study sessions, I napped. There's no use struggling through material when your eyes are closing; you won't remember it anyway.

8. I joined baressays.com. This is one of the most helpful resources I encountered because the site gives you access to real essays from people who failed, so you can see what types of writing earned a whole range of scores, from 80s and 90s down to the 40s. These essays are WAY better than the samples on the CA state bar website because they are not perfect, and you will see that you can get a 65 or higher even if you do not write something amazing enough to be published in your school's law review. :wink:

9. I had a Plan B in case I failed again; specifically, I planned to return to my home state, live with my parents, and study for that state's bar exam. This made me feel considerably less stressed.

10. I didn't just prepare for the bar; I attacked it. For inspiration, I read Sun Tzu's The Art of War (not kidding).

11. As someone else on this forum said, the bar exam is no longer a test of minimum competence; it is a competition for a limited number of bar licenses where the goal is maximum competence. My mistake the first time was going for minimum competence--this resulted in below-average competence. The second time, on the other hand, I went for maximum competence and probably performed with above-average competence, which was enough to pass.

12. I did not memorize rules. I strived to understand the concepts, and when I did, I would naturally remember the rules. The most important thing for the essays is not regurgitating perfect rule statements but rather APPLYING THE FACTS TO THE RULE. In the essay prompts, you need to find a "home" for every fact, i.e., you need to somehow fit it into the "A" section of your "IRAC."

Please PM me if you want more details on my study strategies or would like to talk about the bar in general. I am not a tutor and don't pretend to know how to ace the July 2017 exam, but I would be happy to tell you what worked for me in February. Also, I didn't follow any sort of "schedule"--at least not like the kind BarBri prescribed--but I made sure to cover substantially all the material that would be tested on the exam.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 pm

PassedFeb2017 wrote:and to add, your sort of comments are exactly why good natured people like myself don't want to spend the money for a website to try and help people. I'm clearly not going to live off of a few clients. I actually already have a full-time job with a 401K and health insurance. I still felt strongly about helping others. I got so screwed by numerous tutors. And clearly with the pass rate, the bar prep programs are lying. I'm just providing people with another option. Go tell off the villains. Not the people who are actually on your side.

Mod edit: user has been banned for spamming prep services
Thanks mods.
OP was trying to look like a good guy while spamming an expensive tutoring service.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SUPERFEVER

New

Post by SUPERFEVER » Thu May 18, 2017 3:24 pm

How long after results does the bar post the model answers?

I know it's crazy but I wrote an essay that I think was worthy.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Thu May 18, 2017 5:31 pm

SUPERFEVER wrote:How long after results does the bar post the model answers?

I know it's crazy but I wrote an essay that I think was worthy.
to which question?

angiesmirnoff

New

Post by angiesmirnoff » Thu May 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi, thank you so much for the feedback. I am going slightly crazy after this breakdown of scores.

So I do know that I only had 35-40 minutes left on essay 2 and I knew it was a Remedies essay, I just simply ran out of time to write about all of the issues I wanted. I am SURE I would have gotten at least 60-65 if I wrote everything I wanted to. I had studied Remedies so much but ran out of time. I spent 1hr20min on Essay 3 first (and thought I wrote enough for 80 LOL, but I made some mistakes so I guess they dropped my score). Then I spent 1hr 10 min writing out Wills and I had more to write (for a 100, looking at the score???) but I FORCED myself to stop and go to Remedies. Then I had very little time left - 35-40min.

As far as the second set of essays... Essay 6 was Crim Law/pro, so I knew I did good on it. And the others are CALIFORNIA subjects essays. I actually failed my last CA bar exam because of the CA essays, my PTs were ok 60-65. And my MBE scaled score was 1546 (I focused on it A LOT!). But I saw that they gave me low grades specifically on California subject essays. And I have put in extra 3-4 weeks just for CALI subjects this time around, at the expense of doing lots of MBEs like before (and I think I did like 20-30 questions on Contracts, got them all right and that was it; I ran out of prep time - and I focused on thorough review of the Contracts outline plus the other subjects, instead. Plus memorizations).

PT s are tricky for me and risky because sometimes I get caught up in my own version of reasoning and structure. I might struggle with presenting both the CA subjects and the PTs in a certain structured manner. It's just so much information in the PT and I pay so much attention to every single case! I'm also a bit slower reader (of so much information) since English is my second language.

ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO BEAT THE CALIFORNIA SUBJECTS??? I KNOW that they will give 3/5 essays on CALI subjects this July. They have to, it's California's thing and differentiator.
Well... I focused so much on CALI subjects (And Wills and Trusts is one of them) that I got my knowledge of Wills to a result of a 90 score. I thought I was pretty good on others, too. But apparently not as much yet.

ADVICE?

I am so happy that I posted in this forum... the feedback and the support is SO HELPFUL! And I sort of feel like I am not alone in this.

p.s. I truly believe that if I focus my attention on MBEs like before I can try to get to 80% accuracy on them. And it's 50% of the exam now!!!
The new PT sample on the website is kinda tough since there is so much reading just for 90 minutes! But I am happy that the two 3-hour PTs are over.

angiesmirnoff

New

Post by angiesmirnoff » Thu May 18, 2017 7:34 pm

Thank you so much for the moral support!
PT s are a risky zone for me. Can be 65-70, or it can be 55. I have no clue why. I had some graded and the feedback was great, the score was 70.
No idea...
A few more questions on the Contracts would've passed me - ouch!!!! I simply ran out of time... It was either memorizations and thorough review of Contracts, or else focus on Contracts MBEs. Sad that it let me down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”